Author Topic: 9-Year-Old Boy Hero in Pit Bull Attack  (Read 4173 times)

roo_ster

• Kakistocracy--It's What's For Dinner.
  • friend
  • Hoist the black flag, and begin slitting throats
9-Year-Old Boy Hero in Pit Bull Attack
« on: January 08, 2009, 06:43:11 PM »
Not many grown men would have the stones to jump on a pit bull like this kid.

http://www.cbs47.tv/news/local/story/9-Year-Old-Boy-Hero-in-Pit-Bull-Attack/NugqI-UpPUiNI0MHEGTqDQ.cspx

http://www.cbs47.tv/mediacenter/local.aspx?videoid=91183@video.cbs47.tv

January 5th, Bakersfield, CA - A 9-year-old Bakersfield boy is getting a lot of attention after saving a girl from a vicious pit bull.

Drew Heredia and his female friend were walking the girl's small dog when the pit bull attacked it. The girl tried to intervene but then the pit bull turned the attack on her.

Heredia didn't run away but instead he jumped on the pit bull and applied a choke hold that he learned at a local Brazilian jiu-jitsu studio.

Heredia held the dog in the chokehold until an animal control officer arrived.

The girl was taken to the hospital with numerous puncture wounds. She and her dog are expected to recover.
Regards,

roo_ster

“Fallacies do not cease to be fallacies because they become fashions.”
----G.K. Chesterton

crt360

• friend
Re: 9-Year-Old Boy Hero in Pit Bull Attack
« Reply #1 on: January 08, 2009, 07:10:07 PM »
Way to go, kid!
For entertainment purposes only.

cassandra and sara's daddy

• friends
« Reply #2 on: January 08, 2009, 07:24:41 PM »
not that many 9 year olds clank when they walk
It is much more powerful to seek Truth for one's self.  Seeing and hearing that others seem to have found it can be a motivation.  With me, I was drawn because of much error and bad judgment on my part. Confronting one's own errors and bad judgment is a very life altering situation.  Confronting the errors and bad judgment of others is usually hypocrisy.

by someone older and wiser than I

Felonious Monk

• friend
  • The new, improved Felonious, now with Titanium!
« Reply #3 on: January 08, 2009, 07:40:47 PM »
Just posted the link on my FB page.  iArriba, guerrerito!  :laugh:
"There comes a time in every man's life when he is called upon to do something very special; something for which he and only he has the capabilities, has the skills and has the necessary training. What a pity if the moment finds the man unprepared." - Winston Churchill

BlueStarLizzard

• Queen of the Cislords
  • friend
  • Oh please, nobody died last time...
« Reply #4 on: January 08, 2009, 07:43:10 PM »
i'm impressed. it takes some muscle to hold down a full grown pit. that kid is tough.
"Okay, um, I'm lost. Uh, I'm angry, and I'm armed, so if you two have something that you need to work out --" -Malcolm Reynolds

MicroBalrog

• friend
« Reply #5 on: January 08, 2009, 07:44:43 PM »
I don't think I could do that. I have an unreasonable phobia of dogs going, so... :(

I can stare a man down - and once traded insults with a guy who was threatening to whack me over the head with a rifle - but dogs creep me out.

Yeah, brave kid.
Destroy The Enemy in Hand-to-Hand Combat.

"...tradition and custom becomes intertwined and are a strong coercion which directs the society upon fixed lines, and strangles liberty. " ~ William Graham Sumner

Standing Wolf

• friend
« Reply #6 on: January 08, 2009, 08:38:41 PM »
I don't think I could do that. I have an unreasonable phobia of dogs going, so...

Same here. One of the reasons I always carry a gun is that I've seen what dogs can do to human flesh.
No tyrant should ever be allowed to die of natural causes.

GigaBuist

• friends
    • http://www.justinbuist.org/blog/
« Reply #7 on: January 08, 2009, 09:58:35 PM »
i'm impressed. it takes some muscle to hold down a full grown pit. that kid is tough.

Please don't take what I'm about to say as a slam against the kid, but I highly doubt he's strong enough to hold down a 65lb dog.  He's 9, probably only weighs 70lbs himself.  I'm 150lbs and I can't hold down my 80lb dog for long if he's wiggling about and we're wrestling.

But as soon as you change your tone and let the dog know, in a calm assertive manner, his behavior has to change and submit to your will, well, then they'll calm down themselves.

That's what impresses me the most about the kid.  He couldn't have done what he did if he was panicking.  He took the little bit of training he had, figured he was up to the challenge, and convinced the dog that it wasn't going to win this fight even though, on paper, this was obviously in the dog's favor.

Keeping your composure and taking action in a dangerous situation is a hell of an attribute and one that'll serve him well in all walks of life.

In short, this kid's got "winner" written all over him.

Felonious Monk

• friend
  • The new, improved Felonious, now with Titanium!
« Reply #8 on: January 09, 2009, 01:22:18 AM »
You guys need to understand that the kid has been studying BJJ.
Submission holds are the foundation of Brazilian Jiu Jitsu, and the move he used is ALL about leverage.  A few years ago, when I was in the best shape of my life, a good friend of mine and I started horsing around in his front yard.  He is 5'9" and maybe 160, and I at the time was 6'1" and 275. 

As we sparred, it was obvious I was MUCH stronger than he was.
He tried a couple of wrist locks on me which required him to stop me moving long enough to grab my upper arm with his other hand.  Even with both hands clamping down on my wrist, I kept throwing him off like a ragdoll...

Until he got behind me. His chokehold (he had been studying BJJ for about 2 years) was sunk SO deep so fast, and the leverage was SO extreme that he bruised my adam's apple pretty badly, bad enough that we immediately stopped and for about an hour and a half (while I coughed and wheezed), we considered whether or not I needed to go to the ER.  =|

He later said he was putting about 20-30% pressure on my throat.  :O

If the kid sunk that same choke (which is how he demonstrated it in the video), I am very comfortable in believing that he could immobilize and hold that dog for a few minutes without too much effort, until the PuppyCops arrived.  :police:

It's all about the leverage, take it from me (hack hack).

"There comes a time in every man's life when he is called upon to do something very special; something for which he and only he has the capabilities, has the skills and has the necessary training. What a pity if the moment finds the man unprepared." - Winston Churchill

Chuck Dye

• friend
« Reply #9 on: January 09, 2009, 01:43:19 AM »
In 1969, as an eighteen year old, I lived for a time in Bangkok.  One of the more enjoyable ways to spend time was in the R&R bars on New Petchburi Road enjoying the many cover bands, especially the jazz bands.  One night I fell in with three Navy corpsmen who were front line medics attached to Marine units in Viet Nam.  When it was discovered who I was, more to the point who Dad was, I was treated to a great deal to drink and more than a little story telling.  The one story that really stuck, for a variety of reasons, came up in a discussion of what is and what is not heroism.  The "old man" of the trio, perhaps twentyfour, told of rendering aid to two kids in a village hit by "friendly fire."  The ten year old boy had twice run into a burning hooch and dragged a sister to safety.  The corpsman and other adults made a fuss over the boy only to get a look that was a little bit puzzlement and a lot of disgust and the question "That is what one does, isn't it?"  The corpsman, who I know put his butt on the line many, many times, said "Every time I think I'm hot *expletive deleted*it, I think of that kid and cool my jets."

I wonder what Drew Heredia would say for himself, at ease, out of the lime light.
« Last Edit: January 09, 2009, 01:50:25 AM by Chuck Dye »
Gee, I'd love to see your data!

cassandra and sara's daddy

• friends
« Reply #10 on: January 09, 2009, 08:22:16 AM »
That is what one does, isn't it? 

qft

folks like that never saw any other way to act  wonder what the fuss is all about  was a story a while back about a lil girl who took a bullet protecting mom
m

It is much more powerful to seek Truth for one's self.  Seeing and hearing that others seem to have found it can be a motivation.  With me, I was drawn because of much error and bad judgment on my part. Confronting one's own errors and bad judgment is a very life altering situation.  Confronting the errors and bad judgment of others is usually hypocrisy.

by someone older and wiser than I

HankB

• friend
« Reply #11 on: January 09, 2009, 08:54:38 AM »
Kid deserves a great big "ATTABOY" he did very, very, well.
. . . If the kid sunk that same choke (which is how he demonstrated it in the video), I am very comfortable in believing that he could immobilize and hold that dog for a few minutes . . .
From the kid's gestures, it looked like a variation of Verne Gagne's famous "sleeper" hold.
Trump won in 2016. Democrats haven't been so offended since Republicans came along and freed their slaves.
Sometimes I wonder if the world is being run by smart people who are putting us on, or by imbeciles who really mean it. - Mark Twain
Government is a broker in pillage, and every election is a sort of advance auction in stolen goods. - H.L. Mencken
Patriotism is supporting your country all the time, and your government when it deserves it. - Mark Twain

Balog

• Unrepentant race traitor
  • friends
  • What if we tried more?
« Reply #12 on: January 09, 2009, 11:22:06 AM »
Amazing kid. I do wonder if it was an actual pit, tho. "Journalists" tend to call any dog that acts aggressively a "pit bull."
Quote from: French G.
I was always pleasant, friendly and within arm's reach of a gun.

Quote from: Standing Wolf
If government is the answer, it must have been a really, really, really stupid question.

41magsnub

• friend
  • Don't make me assume my ultimate form!
« Reply #13 on: January 09, 2009, 11:58:57 AM »
Amazing kid. I do wonder if it was an actual pit, tho. "Journalists" tend to call any dog that acts aggressively a "pit bull."

Heh, it would take some of the wow out of things if it was an ill tempered Shitzsu wouldn't it?

Balog

• Unrepentant race traitor
  • friends
  • What if we tried more?
« Reply #14 on: January 09, 2009, 12:11:14 PM »
I didn't mean to disparage what the kid did. But I've seen everything from labs to rottweillers called "pit bulls" by the idiots who make up our journalistic population.
Quote from: French G.
I was always pleasant, friendly and within arm's reach of a gun.

Quote from: Standing Wolf
If government is the answer, it must have been a really, really, really stupid question.

Iain

• friend
« Reply #15 on: January 09, 2009, 12:22:12 PM »
Staffordshire bull terriers are very popular with certain sorts around here, and as such get referred to as pitbull-type dogs quite regularly.
I do not like, when with me play, and I think that you also

CNYCacher

• friend
« Reply #16 on: January 09, 2009, 12:24:59 PM »
Not many grown men would have the stones to jump on a pit bull like this kid.

I highly doubt that.

I didn't mean to disparage what the kid did. But I've seen everything from labs to rottweillers called "pit bulls" by the idiots who make up our journalistic population.

"Pit Bulls" are the "Assault Weapon" of the dog world, in the sense that any story of a dog attack, once filtered through the mind of a journalist, becomes a story of a "pit bull" attack.

Apropos: http://www.pitbullsontheweb.com/petbull/findpit.html
On two occasions, I have been asked [by members of Parliament], "Pray, Mr. Babbage, if you put into the machine wrong figures, will the right answers come out?" I am not able to rightly apprehend the kind of confusion of ideas that could provoke such a question.
Charles Babbage

BlueStarLizzard

• Queen of the Cislords
  • friend
  • Oh please, nobody died last time...
« Reply #17 on: January 09, 2009, 01:38:05 PM »
Please don't take what I'm about to say as a slam against the kid, but I highly doubt he's strong enough to hold down a 65lb dog.  He's 9, probably only weighs 70lbs himself.  I'm 150lbs and I can't hold down my 80lb dog for long if he's wiggling about and we're wrestling.

you ever had to restrain a ticked off pit bull?

But as soon as you change your tone and let the dog know, in a calm assertive manner, his behavior has to change and submit to your will, well, then they'll calm down themselves.

yeah, no... even with a good choke hold on the darn thing, that takes some real physical effort.
and for the record i have to do this all the time. in fact, i have a leather coat in my car just to wear when ever oreo needs her nails done.
"Okay, um, I'm lost. Uh, I'm angry, and I'm armed, so if you two have something that you need to work out --" -Malcolm Reynolds

lupinus

• Southern Mod Trimutive Emeritus
  • friends
« Reply #18 on: January 09, 2009, 04:47:05 PM »
You're.....joking?  Right? 

Please, a dog is asserting his not so calm yet very assertive manner on me, put the calm assertive *expletive deleted*it away and yank him off by the hind legs.....or get this kid to hold onto him for awhile.

That is all. *expletive deleted*ck you all, eat *expletive deleted*it, and die in a fire. I have considered writing here a long parting section dedicated to each poster, but I have decided, at length, against it. *expletive deleted*ck you all and Hail Satan.

GigaBuist

• friends
« Reply #19 on: January 09, 2009, 09:36:21 PM »
You're.....joking?  Right? 

Please, a dog is asserting his not so calm yet very assertive manner on me, put the calm assertive *expletive deleted*it away and yank him off by the hind legs.....or get this kid to hold onto him for awhile.

You're mistaking calm for gentle, I think.  I didn't say anything about being gentle or non-violent.

Teknoid

« Reply #20 on: January 09, 2009, 10:18:14 PM »
The kid definitely has some stones, but I wonder about the identification, too. I've seen a lot of stories in the past about "Pit Bull attacks" that were complete with picture. Either the reported needed glasses, or he had no idea what a Pit looked like.

There are no "bad breeds", but there are bad owners. It's a shame the dog is the one to take the rap. We were out in the yard today with my son's two "vicious pit bulls" for quite a while. It was hard to get them back inside, as they were having a lot of fun playing with the other neighborhood dogs. They're both convinced they're lap dogs, and I haven't seen them meet anyone they didn't like. Now Chihuahuas, on the other hand, those beasts are vicious and should be banned!  ;/

GigaBuist

• friends
« Reply #21 on: January 09, 2009, 11:00:22 PM »
Never trust a journalist to get the details right.

Oh, look, a .40mm Glock!

Chuck Dye

• friend
« Reply #22 on: January 09, 2009, 11:03:11 PM »
Now Chihuahuas, on the other hand...

Take away from an anthropology course: The Aztec bred'm as a food item, like'm pan sized.  

Wouldn't you have an attitude, too?
« Last Edit: January 09, 2009, 11:06:37 PM by Chuck Dye »
Gee, I'd love to see your data!