Author Topic: Should I put a new engine in my 2003 car?  (Read 4180 times)

cfabe

• friend
Re: Should I put a new engine in my 2003 car?
« Reply #25 on: December 09, 2009, 10:28:03 PM »
I wouldn't worry about the oil consumption until you're leaving a smoke trail or you're spending as much on oil as you do on gasoline. For that age of car, I don't think a new rebuilt engine is worth it. If you wanted to replace the engine, I would suggest a low mileage used engine with a warranty from a dismantler or an imported JDM engine which are usually low miles as well.

mtnbkr

• friend
« Reply #26 on: December 10, 2009, 05:51:13 AM »
Oh yeah, I forgot about JDM engines.

Chris

brimic

• friends
« Reply #27 on: December 10, 2009, 08:35:48 AM »
Have a mechanic do a compression/ leak down test before you do anything.
"now you see that evil will always triumph, because good is dumb" -Dark Helmet

"AK47's belong in the hands of soldiers mexican drug cartels"-
Barack Obama

ilbob

• friend
    • Bob's blog
« Reply #28 on: December 10, 2009, 01:28:29 PM »
I'd be inclined to have a decent mechanic look at the thing and see what it is. A lot of oil usage problems are easily fixable for under a grand. But oil is cheap. Maybe get it when it is on sale.
bob

Disclaimers: I am not a lawyer, cop, soldier, gunsmith, politician, plumber, electrician, or a professional practitioner of many of the other things I comment on in this forum.

cassandra and sara's daddy

• friends
« Reply #29 on: December 10, 2009, 05:47:06 PM »
whats a jdm engine?
It is much more powerful to seek Truth for one's self.  Seeing and hearing that others seem to have found it can be a motivation.  With me, I was drawn because of much error and bad judgment on my part. Confronting one's own errors and bad judgment is a very life altering situation.  Confronting the errors and bad judgment of others is usually hypocrisy.

by someone older and wiser than I

mtnbkr

• friend
« Reply #30 on: December 11, 2009, 07:23:34 AM »
The Japanese don't keep their cars as long as we do because of regulations, taxes, etc, so the drivetrains from these barely used vehicles are shipped to the US and sold as replacements for our aging vehicles.  They're pretty cheap from what I gather.

Chris

seeker_two

• friend
  • In short, most intelligence is false.
« Reply #31 on: December 11, 2009, 06:58:38 PM »
Sell the Camry. Take the proceeds and whatever you planned to spend on the new engine and get something else. You can get some great deals on 4-dr. sedans (Impala, Crown Vic, etc.) in the $5-7k range....
Impressed yet befogged, they grasped at his vivid leading phrases, seeing only their surface meaning, and missing the deeper current of his thought.

cassandra and sara's daddy

• friends
« Reply #32 on: December 12, 2009, 07:34:58 AM »
The Japanese don't keep their cars as long as we do because of regulations, taxes, etc, so the drivetrains from these barely used vehicles are shipped to the US and sold as replacements for our aging vehicles.  They're pretty cheap from what I gather.

Chris

color the 1/2 japanese kid embarassed
It is much more powerful to seek Truth for one's self.  Seeing and hearing that others seem to have found it can be a motivation.  With me, I was drawn because of much error and bad judgment on my part. Confronting one's own errors and bad judgment is a very life altering situation.  Confronting the errors and bad judgment of others is usually hypocrisy.

by someone older and wiser than I

KPT

« Reply #33 on: December 12, 2009, 11:58:28 PM »
Get a Ford? My 1995 Explorer with 161K burns no oil and has no leaks.

I did have to rebuild the damn Japanese transmission when it hit 160K though.