Author Topic: Finally tackled that brake line...  (Read 4189 times)

280plus

• friend
  • Ever get that sinking feeling?
Finally tackled that brake line...
« on: January 07, 2012, 03:55:43 PM »
 On my F-150. The one that runs aaaaaalllll the way back to the rear axle. Turned out it was in sections so instead of running the whole thing from front to rear I only had to replace ~5 feet. Way easier than I anticipated. Then, of course, when I started to pump them up yet ANOTHER line blew. Thought I was taking another ride to town but this one turned out to be in about a 6" piece coupled to a much longer and curled around a few times line that is fine. So I kinda stretched the curls out a bit and it screwed right in where the old one came out. Not sure why that little piece was in there. Anyhoo, so far so good but what should I notice while I'm under there? the damn bracket that holds the front end of the leafsprings to the frame is hanging by a thread. Sigh... Now what? Worth fixing? Hard to say. PITA I'll bet though. The other one is not as bad.
« Last Edit: January 07, 2012, 04:01:35 PM by 280plus »
Avoid cliches like the plague!

Tallpine

• friends
  • Grumpy Old Grandpa
Re: Finally tackled that brake line...
« Reply #1 on: January 07, 2012, 04:36:31 PM »
Not sure why that little piece was in there.

Fuse link  ???

the damn bracket that holds the front end of the leafsprings to the frame is hanging by a thread. Sigh... Now what? Worth fixing?

Not unless you don't want the wheel well suddenly rubbing the top of the tire  ;)
Freedom is a heavy load, a great and strange burden for the spirit to undertake. It is not easy. It is not a gift given, but a choice made, and the choice may be a hard one. The road goes upward toward the light; but the laden traveller may never reach the end of it.  - Ursula Le Guin

280plus

• friend
« Reply #2 on: January 07, 2012, 04:39:06 PM »
When you say "suddenly"...  =D

Tallpine

• friends
  • Grumpy Old Grandpa
« Reply #3 on: January 07, 2012, 04:42:09 PM »
When you say "suddenly"...  =D

What kind of a thread are you talking about?

Are the rivets all about to wear through and/or break off...?

I've seen that happen on TRUCKS, but not yet pickups.
Freedom is a heavy load, a great and strange burden for the spirit to undertake. It is not easy. It is not a gift given, but a choice made, and the choice may be a hard one. The road goes upward toward the light; but the laden traveller may never reach the end of it.  - Ursula Le Guin

Jim147

• friends
« Reply #4 on: January 07, 2012, 06:26:28 PM »
You got practice, now you can come by and put one of those lines on mine. I had just put all new front lines on and was moving it when the rear one let go.

Trucks just sitting here beside the garage so you can stop by anytime.

jim
Sometimes we carry more weight then we owe.
And sometimes goes on and on and on.

BAH-WEEP-GRAAAGHNAH WHEEP NI-NI BONG

280plus

• friend
« Reply #5 on: January 07, 2012, 10:25:03 PM »
You got practice, now you can come by and put one of those lines on mine. I had just put all new front lines on and was moving it when the rear one let go.

Trucks just sitting here beside the garage so you can stop by anytime.

jim
I'll be right over...  ;)

What kind of a thread are you talking about?

Are the rivets all about to wear through and/or break off...?

I've seen that happen on TRUCKS, but not yet pickups.
no, the actual bracket itself is rotted through around the big pin that holds the springs in place. Outboard it is completely gone, inboard there's still some metal around it but not much. It needs a new bracket which means cutting the rivets, getting the big rusty bolt out of the leaf springs. I already know how tough it is to get that bolt free.. I'll have to look at it again tomorrow, maybe take pix.

Tallpine

• friends
  • Grumpy Old Grandpa
« Reply #6 on: January 08, 2012, 10:48:43 AM »
no, the actual bracket itself is rotted through around the big pin that holds the springs in place. Outboard it is completely gone, inboard there's still some metal around it but not much. It needs a new bracket which means cutting the rivets, getting the big rusty bolt out of the leaf springs. I already know how tough it is to get that bolt free.. I'll have to look at it again tomorrow, maybe take pix.

Salt ?   =|

I don't think you will like it if that spring hanger lets go while you are driving.  It will probably tear up some brake lines, among other things.

280plus

• friend
« Reply #7 on: January 08, 2012, 12:40:38 PM »
yup, I'm going to have to take a close look at it and see if'n I can figure out how to prevent that from happening.  =|

Good thing I noticed it anyways.

HeroHog

• Technical Site Pig
  • Administrator
  • It can ALWAYS get worse!
    • FaceButt Profile
« Reply #8 on: January 08, 2012, 02:04:51 PM »
If you don't replace ALL of the brake lines, steel and flex, you are just asking for trouble given the corrosion evident in the system so far!
I might not last very long or be very effective but I'll be a real pain in the ass for a minute!
MOLON LABE!

cassandra and sara's daddy

• friends
« Reply #9 on: January 08, 2012, 02:25:07 PM »
If you don't replace ALL of the brake lines, steel and flex, you are just asking for trouble given the corrosion evident in the system so far!

much wisdom there!  hope he didn't learn same way i did
It is much more powerful to seek Truth for one's self.  Seeing and hearing that others seem to have found it can be a motivation.  With me, I was drawn because of much error and bad judgment on my part. Confronting one's own errors and bad judgment is a very life altering situation.  Confronting the errors and bad judgment of others is usually hypocrisy.

by someone older and wiser than I

280plus

• friend
« Reply #10 on: January 08, 2012, 04:06:16 PM »
Actually I gave the rest of them a visual and they look ok. I've changed quite a few of them now. ;)

I'm assuming there is an after market bracket available that I can bolt to the existing rivet holes?

Nick1911

• Administrator
« Reply #11 on: January 08, 2012, 04:23:54 PM »
Actually I gave the rest of them a visual and they look ok. I've changed quite a few of them now. ;)

I'm assuming there is an after market bracket available that I can bolt to the existing rivet holes?

Not sure about that particular part, but brackets for the front radius arms were available from advance auto for my F250, FWIW.  They were special order, though.

Personally, knowing what I know now, I don't think I'd even try to unbolt that part from my truck.  Acetylene is cheap, and grade 8 fasteners are cheap enough from tractor supply.

Tallpine

• friends
  • Grumpy Old Grandpa
« Reply #12 on: January 08, 2012, 05:51:41 PM »

Salvage yard, perhaps ?

Actually, if you have a place to set it on cinder blocks, just buying another entire parts truck might not be a bad idea.  ;)

280plus

• friend
« Reply #13 on: January 08, 2012, 06:17:09 PM »
Yup, I was thinking torch myself but the gas tanks worry me. I believe it's riveted on so I was thinking grinder.

Tallpine

• friends
  • Grumpy Old Grandpa
« Reply #14 on: January 08, 2012, 06:29:32 PM »
Yup, I was thinking torch myself but the gas tanks worry me. I believe it's riveted on so I was thinking grinder.

You might make life easier for yourself by just yanking the bed off to work on it  ;)

Nick1911

• Administrator
« Reply #15 on: January 08, 2012, 08:12:56 PM »
You might make life easier for yourself by just yanking the bed off to work on it  ;)

You know, I've never done that.  How hard is it to remove the bed on a 90's F series pickup?  I imagine it would just be the electric for the taillights and the mounting bolts?

Course, on mine those are probably rusted beyond cold-wrench removal.  =|

CNYCacher

• friend
« Reply #16 on: January 08, 2012, 09:21:01 PM »
You know, I've never done that.  How hard is it to remove the bed on a 90's F series pickup?  I imagine it would just be the electric for the taillights and the mounting bolts?

Don't forget the gas tank filler tube!  :O
On two occasions, I have been asked [by members of Parliament], "Pray, Mr. Babbage, if you put into the machine wrong figures, will the right answers come out?" I am not able to rightly apprehend the kind of confusion of ideas that could provoke such a question.
Charles Babbage

Fly320s

• friend
  • Formerly, Arthur, King of the Britons
« Reply #17 on: January 09, 2012, 06:46:06 AM »
Don't forget the gas tank filler tube!  :O

And dump out the gravel first. Makes it much lighter.  =D
Islamic sex dolls.  Do they blow themselves up?

280plus

• friend
« Reply #18 on: January 09, 2012, 08:01:13 AM »
Probably fairly easy if you have some way of lifting the bed off. The bed is not really in the way though. I don;t know, I have half a mind to put it up on Craigslist and be done with it. That's a lot od work to do to fix something that is just going to keep nickle and dime-ing me. Sucks cause I love the truck. If it was anything else I wouldn't give it a second thought.  =(

Tallpine

• friends
  • Grumpy Old Grandpa
« Reply #19 on: January 09, 2012, 10:24:55 AM »

Not sure, but I had the bed off and on my old 1973 Chevy and it wasn't much problem.  I was going to rig it up for something else but then put the bed back on.

I do know that my sister's husband routinely pulls the bed on brand new pickups to install gooseneck hitches.

Everything is easier if you can stand up to do it instead of lying on your back.

I would think that you could hoist an (empty!) pickup bed up to your garage rafters.  Or a big tree or an A-frame gallows made for the purpose.  You might even be able to do it with one of those roll-around engine hoists by "heeling" it on the boom.  (use some cross timbers)

Jamie B

• friend
  • I am Abynormal
« Reply #20 on: January 09, 2012, 10:32:27 AM »
Greatness lies not in being strong, but in the right use of strength - Henry Ward Beecher

The Almighty tells me He can get me out of this mess, but He’s pretty sure you’re f**ked! - Stephen

280plus

• friend
« Reply #21 on: January 09, 2012, 01:47:45 PM »
Thanks!