Author Topic: Why Bros should not get married  (Read 4186 times)

MillCreek

• Skippy The Wonder Dog
  • friend
  • APS Risk Manager
Re: Why Bros should not get married
« Reply #25 on: June 25, 2014, 11:30:01 AM »
That's a thing?

May the Lord God help me, yes.  Yes, it is.

Quote from: Angel Eyes on August 09, 2018, 01:56:15 AM
You are one lousy risk manager.

MillCreek

• Skippy The Wonder Dog
  • friend
  • APS Risk Manager
« Reply #26 on: June 25, 2014, 11:30:55 AM »
Research Nurse in my office goes to scrapbooking conventions...

The Close to My Heart national convention is going on right now!  Don't ask me how I know this.

Quote from: Angel Eyes on August 09, 2018, 01:56:15 AM
You are one lousy risk manager.

White Horseradish

• friend
« Reply #27 on: June 25, 2014, 11:54:14 AM »
The Close to My Heart

Oddly, I know who they are for reasons entirely unrelated to any of their products...
Political tags - such as royalist, communist, democrat, populist, fascist, liberal, conservative, and so forth - are never basic criteria. The human race divides politically into those who want people to be controlled and those who have no such desire.

Robert A Heinlein

Perd Hapley

• Superstar of the Internet
  • friend
  • My prepositions are on/in
« Reply #28 on: June 25, 2014, 12:25:26 PM »
Well, I'm glad I don't have a relationship like that with my wife. I purposely look for things she would like to do and she does the same for me. Funny how that seems to work out to our benefit.

Oh, and as to the engagement ring issue: no, I didn't get and engagement HDTV. I did, however, get a wedding .45 Colt.

Word. Aside from the wedding gun, dangit, that is how we roll. She likes for me to do guy things, and I like for her to do girl things.
"Doggies are angel babies!" -- my wife

Balog

• Unrepentant race traitor
  • friends
  • What if we tried more?
« Reply #29 on: June 25, 2014, 12:31:43 PM »
The "%50 of marriages end in divorce" thing is not true, I really wish they'd stop spreading it.

Quote from: French G.
I was always pleasant, friendly and within arm's reach of a gun.

Quote from: Standing Wolf
If government is the answer, it must have been a really, really, really stupid question.

charby

• Necromancer
  • Administrator
  • APS's Resident Sikh/Muslim
« Reply #30 on: June 25, 2014, 12:33:38 PM »
The "%50 of marriages end in divorce" thing is not true, I really wish they'd stop spreading it.

I'm curious what the stat is for 1st time marriages.
Iowa- 88% more livable that the rest of the US

Uranus is a gas giant.

Team 444: Member# 536

Balog

• friends
  • What if we tried more?
« Reply #31 on: June 25, 2014, 12:35:33 PM »
I'm curious what the stat is for 1st time marriages.

I believe it's somewhere around %75, lower depending on lifestyle.

If government is the answer, it must have been a really, really, really stupid question.

charby

• Necromancer
  • Administrator
  • APS's Resident Sikh/Muslim
« Reply #32 on: June 25, 2014, 12:43:15 PM »

75% stay married or end in divource
Iowa- 88% more livable that the rest of the US

Uranus is a gas giant.

Team 444: Member# 536

BryanP

• friendly hermit
  • friend
« Reply #33 on: June 25, 2014, 12:46:17 PM »
^^^^^ I now know the location and inventory of every scrapbooking store in the state.

It's possible our wives are acquainted.
"Inaccurately attributed quotes are the bane of the internet" - Abraham Lincoln

TommyGunn

• friend
  • Stuck in full auto since birth.
« Reply #34 on: June 25, 2014, 12:49:27 PM »
75% stay married or end in divource
???  If the only 2 alternatives in a comparison are stay married or divorce then you would have to say 100% engage in either choice.  It cannot be 75 % .... what happened to the remaining 25% .... being abducted by space aliens doesn't count as it is another matter entirely.... 
 ??? [tinfoil]
MOLON LABE   "Through ignorance of what is good and what is bad, the life of men is greatly perplexed." ~~ Cicero

Balog

• friends
  • What if we tried more?
« Reply #35 on: June 25, 2014, 12:50:53 PM »
Sorry, I was unclear. About %75 do not divorce. I'm not sure how that study accounted for being widowed.

dogmush

• friend
« Reply #36 on: June 25, 2014, 12:53:02 PM »

Nope, It's about 50% for first marriages.

Quote from: cdc.gov
The probability of a first marriage reaching its 20th anniversary was 52% for women and 56% for men in 2006–2010. These levels are consistent with those reported in the NSFG in previous years, and in vital statistics data three decades ago

Some interesting stats in this study:
http://www.cdc.gov/nchs/data/nhsr/nhsr049.pdf

onions!

• friend
  • Space for rent.
« Reply #37 on: June 25, 2014, 01:14:26 PM »
I used to wonder why more marriages didn't end in murder.
I'm pretty sure that we've all known people who were passionate in the extreme about their dislike for their spouse.

If the options were murder followed by 8-9 years in prison and walk out a free man with no bills,no credit,a record,a couple of college degrees,and never having to have her in your life again.
Or,the evil witch taking your money,causing you stress,making you live in a closet,wrecking your credit,and ruining your outlook on life for a decade,which would you choose?

Never mind the kids.I was a stepkid a few times.Kids are resilient.They'll figure it out.
jeff w

I like onions!

Strings

• APS Pimp
  • friend
« Reply #38 on: June 25, 2014, 02:15:38 PM »
I always get a giggle out of the guys who look at me and ask "Your wife lets you do X?"

The joke is, she enjoys all the same things I do (y'all can get verification on her existence from Birdman, Rev, Dick, and Bedlamite)

She's actually the reason I got my Automag (was her suggestion). The only problem is buying a new gun: there's always the possibility it will be stolen by her
No Child Should Live In Fear

What was that about a pearl handled revolver and someone from New Orleans again?

Screw it: just autoclave the planet (thanks Birdman)

BlueStarLizzard

• Queen of the Cislords
  • friend
  • Oh please, nobody died last time...
« Reply #39 on: June 25, 2014, 06:58:30 PM »
Everytime I read these kinds of things, I score myself.

Wedding: well, yeah, I want that. Over the past ten years the whole girly dream wedding had devolved into going to Vegas, party the night before (including strip clubs) I go to a spa the next morning (to look pretty) and get married by Elvis in the evening, top off with ride in that rollercoaster over the strip, good steak dinner, followed by more party until bedtime (which better be sexytime unless there's been too much alcohol consumption)

So, I'm not sure how much of that counts as a hassle. Yes, expensive and items of total girly tripping (I don't much care if it's an actual "wedding dress" but white and pretty) but strip club, Elvis, steak and booze (oh, and sex) are enjoyed by most guys.

Living together:

Silence... well, not all the time. When I'm reading, mostly. I like music or TV on other times.
Food... Yes, food is good. There will be food. I might lose points here because I tend to get territorial over stuff like bacon, cheetos, meat and pickles.
Beer... I like beer. I like rum. I don't drink that much. I wouldn't marry a guy that drank too much. So, I lose no points here, because if he wants beer, then beer is in the fridge and I mostly wouldn't drink more then a few bottles at a time.
Entertainment... I don't do sports. That I will say. Watchng sports is boring. If he must, I'll be out or reading in a corner somewhere. Please, keep it down to a reasonable noise level. Negitive points.
Bathroom. Negitive points. I already know that. I also am not sure how I'm not bald, even when it's not shedding season. ??? And I do have a lot of bottles and pots and brushes and potions and such. After Dad complained about the slip factor in the tub, I started just pouring a few cups of this purple industrial power degreaser in the tub adter my showers and then letting the hot water run for a couple minutes.
Talking... I like to talk and have conversations. I like to listin as well. I'll make a deal. He doesn't talk to me while I'm reading or engrossed in TV/movie I'll leave him be when he needs his quiet time. The point value here could go either way.

Events:

I'm not a social person. This will be the other way around in most cases. I also have neve dragged a boyfriend to an event. I have been dragged to events (i got told to dress up and make myself up pretty, too, which I did)
If my maternal family has an event, though, you be he's going, but my maternal family is crazy, so those (even the funerals) tend to be pretty funny.
Shopping? Not even most of the time, unless it's a joint purchase. I don't like shopping most of the time, I'm picky about shopping with people and most of the time, I know what I want and I go in, get it and get the hell out. Unless he's actually fun to shop with (and enjoys it) he's not even invited.
Also, I'm on time, if not early, for events. Again, I've waited on boyfriends more then they've waited for me.
I think I earn points here.

TV
I don't watch any of those shows (occasionally America's got talent as background noise, but only as last resort)
My two contestent shows are So You Think You Can Dance and Last Comic Standing (which I sometimes skip because I can't take *expletive deleted*ing   rosanne)
I do watch a lot of TV, but most of the drama's and such, I get on DVD (Grimm, Sparticus, Vikings, House, SCRUBS)
I also watch a lot of movies, mostly action and scfi stuff, with a generous dose of chick flicks, real drama's, kids movies and a few comedys.
Of all the guys I've dated, the only thing I fail on is I hate horror movies, and occasionally I can do those with alcohol. Usually, I bring more "guy" movies/tv then they do.
So, I'm getting more points on this one.

Rings. Negitive points. I don't care much for wearing rings either, but symbolic value trumps sausage fingers. I'm willing to branch out on symbolic gifts, though. We each get rings and we each get a guns is fine by me. =D

Devoirce. A guy would have to really piss me off for me to go for his finachial gut on spousal support. Like cheated and gave me an STD type piss me off. Child support? You bet, even steven and that's for the kid. (my father didn't pay, because he thought my mom would spend it on herself, which mostly she would have. OTOH, I wish he had paid anyway, because she's happier with what she wants and I had to live with her. I have issues on this subject)
Rather not get devoirced, though.
No clue how the points lie on this.

Sleeping with other people... He cheats, he may be a dead man. Cheating and lieing are a no go. There are other things, that based on my posting history, most could probably figure out that I'm possibly earning points on this one, and we leave it at that.

BJs. I get points, enough said.

Freedom... Meh. On one hand, my attitude is "I'm stuck here too." On the other, I like doing my own thing.
I don't think I lose points, but i'm not sure I earn any.

Sterotypes are sterotypes. Sometimes there is some truth in them, but the induvidial is more of a thing. I look at the successful marriages around me and, well, all of them have some elements of the sterotypes and all of them have some major diffrences, and the same and the diffrences are across the board. I would say that the marriage with all those collected sterotypes is probably doomed. The rest have give and take and a sense of humor about the rest.
"Okay, um, I'm lost. Uh, I'm angry, and I'm armed, so if you two have something that you need to work out --" -Malcolm Reynolds

Nightfall

• friend
« Reply #40 on: June 25, 2014, 10:39:25 PM »
Dude, bro, women make you spend thousands on rings and dresses and events...
If the person you're marrying wants to kickoff your new life together by dumping you both into debt so they can be lavished in riches and attention, maybe find a new partner. My wife and I had a simple wedding with a budget we were comfortable with out-of-pocket. Our families helped us with some elbow grease and providing a nice backyard to tie the knot in. If you're both unable to look beyond social norms to find a happy place as a couple in regards to spending money on western marriage customs, you're going to be facing much harder problems down the road.

Broski, women want to talk, and they, like, take a longer time to get ready and stuff.
ZOMG, the person you're teaming up with for the rest of your life wants to communicate with you?! And it might interrupt your sports and beer time?! Friggin' grow up. If you need certain times to yourself, talk to her about that. Getting all butt-hurt because you can't get away with the communication depth of a frat boy while married is pathetic. Women, whom are generally expected to present a polished 'prettier' appearance, take longer to get ready than men? Madness. So you'd prefer she not groom herself and be pretty? I bet. Oh, and this partner you're spending your life with wants you to participate in her life's noteworthy social events? More madness!

Dude, you're just gonna get divorced and lose your beer money!
Prenup. Should be the norm. I will agree that the idea of spousal support is asinine though. So is the expectation of all romantic relationships progressing to marriage, though. In the face of the social norm of getting married, people such as our dear author get tied up in relationship arrangements they lack the faculties to handle.

But bro, you'll only bang one chick forever, and she won't go down on you anymore. Dude, seriously. Bro.
If sexual monogamy bothers you, find a partner comfortable with an open marriage. Of course, a successful open marriage probably requires a level of emotional maturity and communication skills that this article leads me to believe you would fall woefully short of. Or, here's another crazy one... DON'T GET MARRIED. Not getting oral fun? Talk to her openly and honestly about each other's sexual desires, and work with each other to satisfy them? Crazy, right? I know, not gonna happen. It's that mature, adult communication thing again. She was using sexual favors to manipulate you into marriage? Find a new partner. Hope you got that prenup. She's too immature to discuss these things? Then she's too immature to be in a relationship with the demands of a marriage. Decide how patient you can be and grow with her, or find a new partner.

Seriously though, I see this one A LOT. I can't imagine being in a long-term relationship where I can't honestly communicate to my partner that I want to grab her by the hair and &^%# the $^#% out of her *fill in your preference*. If you can't talk to each other like that, you've done a spectacularly poor job of picking your partner, and/or building a rapport with them.

BRO, your freedom! DUDE!
Yeah, you lose total freedom. The idea being you're trading complete autonomy to team up with someone and work together to improve both of your lives. Which will require sacrifice on both of your parts. Which is pretty much how anything worth doing works.

I know this whole article was probably intended as tongue-in-cheek, but I've ran into far too many people who bitch about the same bullet points in a serious manner. *sigh*
It is difficult if not impossible to reason a person out of a position they did not reason themselves into. - 230RN

Scout26

• I'm a leaf on the wind.
  • friend
  • I spent a week in that town one night....
« Reply #41 on: June 26, 2014, 12:45:20 AM »
^^^^^ I now know the location and inventory of every scrapbooking store in the state.

At one point, there was a closet in my house with over $5,000.00 (all on a credit card) of Creative Memories product in my house.   That business was a flop.
Some days even my lucky rocketship underpants won't help.

Bring me my Broadsword and a clear understanding.
Get up to the roundhouse on the cliff-top standing.
Take women and children and bed them down.
Bless with a hard heart those that stand with me.
Bless the women and children who firm our hands.
Put our backs to the north wind.
Hold fast by the river.
Sweet memories to drive us on,
for the motherland.