Author Topic: Best Digital Camcorder Media?  (Read 1875 times)

esheato

• friend
Best Digital Camcorder Media?
« on: March 26, 2006, 10:40:35 AM »
So I'm in the market for a digital camcorder but the different types of storage media is bewildering. MiniDV vs. Super 8 vs. DVD? What are the pros and cons of the different types? What's the best for viewing on a TV afterwards?

I've always been a Canon fan, but what brands do you recommend?

Thanks,

Ed

Justin

• friend
« Reply #1 on: March 26, 2006, 10:45:29 AM »
MiniDV.

It offers the highest level of quality and the easiest method for digitization for editing on your computer.

A lot of professionals are using this format nowadays.
Your secretary is not a graphic designer, and Microsoft Word is not adequate for print design.

TarpleyG

• friend
« Reply #2 on: March 26, 2006, 10:53:47 AM »
MiniDV has a good track record and seems likely to be around for years to come.  Some other technology is like Laserdisc and Beta...here today, gone tomorrow.

Greg

esheato

• friend
« Reply #3 on: March 26, 2006, 10:54:29 AM »
What are the new DVD recorders? I'm assuming they record directly to a DVD that you can play back in a standard player?

Damn, you guys are quick. Wink

Justin

• friend
« Reply #4 on: March 26, 2006, 11:07:42 AM »
I don't have any firsthand experience with the DVD camcorders, but I would suspect that in order to be able to burn video data to a DVD in anything close to realtime, they're probably subjecting the video to all sorts of compression schemes.  If they claim that you can then pull the disc out of the camcorder and throw it directly into a DVD player, then that pretty much guarantees that the file format being used is MPG 2, which uses lossy compression to keep file size manageable.

If you intend to pull the video off of the disc in the camera, edit it, and then burn it back onto DVD to give to family and friends, you'll be compressing the video twice, and it will result in artifacting.
Your secretary is not a graphic designer, and Microsoft Word is not adequate for print design.

Justin

• friend
« Reply #5 on: March 26, 2006, 11:09:11 AM »
Until I see otherwise, my recommendation for standard def cameras will be Mini DV.  Heck, 28 Days Later was shot on mini DV with, iirc, Canon XL2's.

esheato

• friend
« Reply #6 on: March 26, 2006, 03:28:55 PM »
Thanks for the information.

Ed

Kestrel

• friend
« Reply #7 on: March 26, 2006, 04:24:03 PM »
Definitely MiniDV. Don't go with the DVD recorders, as Justin mentions. The quality is not the same, nor is the recording time.

As for cameras, a lot depends on your budget. If it's within your budget, the "Pro" or "Prosumer" lines of Panasonic, Canon and Sony are probably the leaders. Each of these manufacturers have models in the ~$1,800 - ~$4,000 range that are great.

There are lots of good ones under $2,, too. Be sure to get a 3-CCD model, with the largest CCDs you can afford. Don't focus on combined "digital still-camera" features. None of them are as good as some of the cheapest digital cameras and are a waste of time to worry about. (The higher-end cameras don't even have the digital still camera features.)

Good luck.

Justin

• friend
« Reply #8 on: March 26, 2006, 05:24:33 PM »
There are lots of good ones under $2,, too. Be sure to get a 3-CCD model, with the largest CCDs you can afford. Don't focus on combined "digital still-camera" features. None of them are as good as some of the cheapest digital cameras and are a waste of time to worry about. (The higher-end cameras don't even have the digital still camera features.)
Worth repeating.  If you want to take stills, get a still camera.  If you want to shoot video, get a video camera.

esheato

• friend
« Reply #9 on: March 26, 2006, 06:56:02 PM »
The still camera corner has already been attended to. I bought a Canon EOS Rebel XT last year. Lenses are so easy and appealing, but they're just as expensive as guns. It's hard to decide what to buy. Wink

Ed

Justin

• friend
« Reply #10 on: March 26, 2006, 07:31:36 PM »
I'm envious.  I want a Nikon D70 bad, but for some reason, I keep buying guns.  Urk!

esheato

• friend
« Reply #11 on: March 26, 2006, 07:47:58 PM »
Ya know, we could have much worse problems in life than purchasing expensive guns and cameras....

Here are some sample photos from last week at Lake Tahoe.

Ed

zahc

• friend
« Reply #12 on: March 26, 2006, 09:08:03 PM »
I know a guy that shoots indy films. I asked him the same question.

"MiniDV, don't even think about anything else"

He seemed to be in love with his high end Sony.
Maybe a rare occurence, but then you only have to get murdered once to ruin your whole day.
--Tallpine

TarpleyG

• friend
« Reply #13 on: March 27, 2006, 01:58:55 AM »
If you want something small and portable that you will actually have on you when you want it, look at the Sony below.  I bought one last year and love it.  Video is surprisingly good for such a small device that can be stowed in a cargo pocket or your wife's purse (or your own purse, ladies[or men if that's your thing]).

http://www.bhphotovideo.com/bnh/controller/home?O=productlist&A=details&Q=&sku=371631&is=REG&addedTroughType=categoryNavigation

Greg

Kestrel

• friend
« Reply #14 on: March 27, 2006, 10:39:52 PM »
esheato - nice pictures.

Justin - the D70 is nice. I have one and found that I take a TON more pictures with it, than I did with film cameras. The deal-maker on that one, was the instant-on capability and being able to use my AF Nikkor lenses. My previous digital cameras had to "boot up", losing some photo opportunities. Now that D200 is out... sigh...

Now I've got a ton of film cameras to sell. I just ended up not using them any more, after getting the D70.