Author Topic: Car Battery  (Read 7067 times)

41magsnub

• friend
  • Don't make me assume my ultimate form!
Car Battery
« on: November 16, 2011, 10:50:31 PM »
What is the collective APS wisdom on the best midgrade car batteries?  My Mom's 2006 Subaru Tribeca needs one, the first cold snap this year killed it and it won't take a charge.  I've historically leaned towards a Sears DieHard Gold though I've heard of late the quality has fallen off.  In my Land Cruiser I stuck a Die Hard Platinum which is more than we want to spend on the Tribeca.

This particular rig takes a group 35 battery, not that it really matters because we are talking general brands and technologies rather than size.

This rig does not end up on the highway much so it does not get a heavy charge often.

Edit:  I R gud at wurds.
« Last Edit: November 16, 2011, 11:08:21 PM by 41magsnub »

Nick1911

• Administrator
Re: Car Battery
« Reply #1 on: November 16, 2011, 10:57:20 PM »
I hate to admit this, but I've had really good luck with Everstart batteries from Wal-Mart.  They even replaced one that died within warrenty for no cost. (Battery died because of charging system fault - no fault of it's own!)

wmenorr67

• friend
« Reply #2 on: November 16, 2011, 10:59:23 PM »
Anything you can get at Wally World or any other auto parts store will suffice.
There are five things, above all else, that make life worth living: a good relationship with God, a good woman, good health, good friends, and a good cigar.

Only two defining forces have ever offered to die for you, Jesus Christ and the American Soldier.  One died for your soul, the other for your freedom.

Bacon is the candy bar of meats!

Only the dead have seen the end of war!

Monkeyleg

• friend
  • Tattaglia is a pimp.
    • http://www.gunshopfinder.com
« Reply #3 on: November 16, 2011, 11:00:15 PM »
An auto repair shop with a great reputation that I used often sells almost nothing but Interstate batteries. I've had a couple, and they've lasted a long time.

I don't know if it's still the case, but Johnson Controls once made the Die Hard batteries for Sears, and the contract forbade Johnson Controls from making a more powerful battery for any other company.  

Regolith

• friend
« Reply #4 on: November 16, 2011, 11:31:04 PM »
I've historically leaned towards a Sears DieHard Gold though I've heard of late the quality has fallen off.  In my Land Cruiser I stuck a Die Hard Platinum which is more than we want to spend on the Tribeca.

I don't know if it's still the case, but Johnson Controls once made the Die Hard batteries for Sears, and the contract forbade Johnson Controls from making a more powerful battery for any other company.  

Last time I got a battery at Sears was when the family minivan died in their parking lot. We went in an asked if they had a battery for that model, the salesman said they did and said it would work.  We took it out, tried to get it in, and it didn't fit. Then the bastard damn near wouldn't take it back.   :mad:

Ended up walking across the street and over to Walmart and getting a battery from them.
The price of freedom is eternal vigilance. - Thomas Jefferson

Necessity is the plea for every infringement of human freedom. It is the argument of tyrants; it is the creed of slaves. - William Pitt the Younger

Perfectly symmetrical violence never solved anything. - Professor Hubert J. Farnsworth

41magsnub

• friend
« Reply #5 on: November 16, 2011, 11:36:05 PM »
So..  basically we have a recommendation for any battery   ..  lol

Brad Johnson

• friend
  • Witty, charming, handsome, and completely insane.
« Reply #6 on: November 16, 2011, 11:49:54 PM »
The Duralast brand from Autozone always gets good marks in consumer testing.  Helps that there's an Autozone around pretty much every corner in most mid-large size towns.

Brad
It's all about the pancakes, people.
"And he thought cops wouldn't chase... a STOLEN DONUT TRUCK???? That would be like Willie Nelson ignoring a pickup full of weed."
-HankB

never_retreat

• Head Muckety Muck
  • friend
« Reply #7 on: November 17, 2011, 12:15:25 AM »
I had a pair of interstates in by diesel ford, they lasted about 4 years.
I put a pair of Napa heavy duties in last fall, so far so good. I have always had good luck with both in the past.
Bearing in mind these trucks are very hard on batteries. I don't know the amp draw of the starter but I bet that cable is about 2/0.
I needed a mod to change my signature because the concept of "family friendly" eludes me.
Just noticed that a mod changed my signature. How long ago was that?
A few months-mods

zxcvbob

• friend
« Reply #8 on: November 17, 2011, 12:51:06 AM »
The Delco group 78 battery that came in my Silverado died a month or two ago -- it was 10.5 years old.  (I moved it from the truck to the old cadillac last year, then I think I just didn't run it enough is what finally killed it)  It was only a 600A battery. It's pretty easy to find group 75's that are more than that.  (a 75 looks just like a 78 but it's an inch shorter in length.)

The Cadillac battery it replaced was a Bosch 770 amp group 78 that was about 9 years old when it finally crapped out.

I went to a junk yard and bought another used Bosch 770A battery for $28.  It is 2.5 years old, on a 72 month battery with 3 years full replacement (I don't know if the warranty is still good or not.)  Although I've bought used tires occasionally -- but seldom -- this is the first time I've ever bought a used battery.  A new one was gonna cost close to $100. 

Then I took my old Delco dead battery to the scrap metal dealer and sold it for $9.25.  So for less than $20 net, I got a good battery that ought to last at least 5 years.  You might want to see if you can do the same.  If not, I can recommend Delco and Bosch batteries.  They've far outlasted anything else I ever had, even that J.C. Penny "The last battery your car will ever needâ„¢"
"It's good, though..."

HankB

• friend
« Reply #9 on: November 17, 2011, 09:41:34 AM »
. . . I can recommend Delco and Bosch batteries.  They've far outlasted anything else I ever had, even that J.C. Penny "The last battery your car will ever needâ„¢"
Bosch must have improved - back in the '70s when we had a Mercedes, the Bosch batteries (huge things) they used lasted about 18 months.

After the second replacement died, my Dad replaced it with a Delco which lasted until he finally sold the car.

I understand there are only three actual manufacturers of batteries in the USA and that they collectively make all the other labels . . .
Trump won in 2016. Democrats haven't been so offended since Republicans came along and freed their slaves.
Sometimes I wonder if the world is being run by smart people who are putting us on, or by imbeciles who really mean it. - Mark Twain
Government is a broker in pillage, and every election is a sort of advance auction in stolen goods. - H.L. Mencken
Patriotism is supporting your country all the time, and your government when it deserves it. - Mark Twain

Tallpine

• friends
  • Grumpy Old Grandpa
« Reply #10 on: November 17, 2011, 09:43:04 AM »
So..  basically we have a recommendation for any battery   ..  lol

I don't think there's a lot of difference, unless perhaps you have an extreme application like diesel truck or RV/boat.

You can spend more time than it's worth just shopping around.

Biggest thing is probably buying from a store that is handy for any possible warranty claim.
Freedom is a heavy load, a great and strange burden for the spirit to undertake. It is not easy. It is not a gift given, but a choice made, and the choice may be a hard one. The road goes upward toward the light; but the laden traveller may never reach the end of it.  - Ursula Le Guin

SADShooter

• friend
« Reply #11 on: November 17, 2011, 09:49:42 AM »
I don't think there's a lot of difference, unless perhaps you have an extreme application like diesel truck or RV/boat.

You can spend more time than it's worth just shopping around.

Biggest thing is probably buying from a store that is handy for any possible warranty claim.

This. Post-sale customer service is the biggest variable. I, too, have had good luck dealing with AutoZone in this regard.
"Ah, is there any wine so sweet and intoxicating as the tears of a hippie?"-Tamara, View From the Porch

T.O.M.

• friend
« Reply #12 on: November 17, 2011, 10:38:44 AM »
The Duralast brand from Autozone always gets good marks in consumer testing.  Helps that there's an Autozone around pretty much every corner in most mid-large size towns.

Brad

Just put a new Duralast battery in my 2001 Town and Country.  Cost was about $160.  It was replacing a 60 month Duralast that I put in myself back in January of 2006.  Best part was the guy at Autozone wouldn't let me put it in myself.  He was bored, so he politely insisted on doing it for me.  Nice guy.  Saw the NRA sticker on my van, so we talked guns while he installed the battery.
No, I'm not mtnbkr.  ;)

a.k.a. "our resident Legal Smeagol."...thanks BryanP
"Anybody can give legal advice - but only licensed attorneys can sell it."...vaskidmark

Hawkmoon

• friend
« Reply #13 on: November 17, 2011, 10:56:46 AM »
I used to buy nothing but Sears DieHard Gold. But Sears reportedly changed suppliers for their batteries a few years ago and I've heard a lot of complaints that the "new" DieHards are nowhere near the quality of the old ones. My auto tech friends agree that Interstate is the best battery out there right now, but I don't have any Interstate dealers near me -- and finding one for a replacement if/when traveling is also a potential issue. So second choice among my tech friends is NAPA. I just last week bought a new NAPA 75-month battery for my wife's Cherokee. It's much too soon to know how well it will perform or last, but I was a bit unhappy that a battery of the correct group size designation was taller than the OEM battery and it was almost impossible to install the hold-down over the new battery.
- - - - - - - - - - - - -
100% Politically Incorrect by Design

wmenorr67

• friend
« Reply #14 on: November 17, 2011, 10:59:25 AM »
Well I really like and think Optima is one of the best batteries out there. 
There are five things, above all else, that make life worth living: a good relationship with God, a good woman, good health, good friends, and a good cigar.

Only two defining forces have ever offered to die for you, Jesus Christ and the American Soldier.  One died for your soul, the other for your freedom.

41magsnub

• friend
« Reply #15 on: November 17, 2011, 11:06:05 AM »
Well I really like and think Optima is one of the best batteries out there. 

I'm torn between optima red tops and the Odyssey's (Diehard platinum is the same battery) on the high end.

wmenorr67

• friend
« Reply #16 on: November 17, 2011, 01:58:31 PM »
I'm torn between optima red tops and the Odyssey's (Diehard platinum is the same battery) on the high end.

Used to sell Optimas when I worked at an auto parts warehouse.  I had one that was returned that wasn't supposed to be any good.  Got it for nothing once the rep gave us credit for it.  Worked fine, even after I shorted out the side terminals.

coppertales

• friend
« Reply #17 on: November 17, 2011, 07:35:23 PM »
I have been using the Walmart brand for years now.  They last.  I have one in my motorcycle that is going on 5 years now.  That is unheard of with a motorcycle battery.....chris3

Waitone

• friend
« Reply #18 on: November 17, 2011, 07:43:52 PM »
Size the battery according manufacturer's recommendation and add a little windage for severe cold.  Oversizing a battery is insurance.  Then buy however many months you want.  Batteries are a commodity.  Brand is not necessarily an indicator of quality, durability, or reliability.
"Men, it has been well said, think in herds. It will be seen that they go mad in herds, while they only recover their senses slowly, and one by one."
- Charles Mackay, Scottish journalist, circa 1841

"Our society is run by insane people for insane objectives. I think we're being run by maniacs for maniacal ends and I think I'm liable to be put away as insane for expressing that. That's what's insane about it." - John Lennon

Tallpine

• friends
  • Grumpy Old Grandpa
« Reply #19 on: November 17, 2011, 10:33:33 PM »
I just bought a new battery for our Suburban (about $95) from the local Car Quest parts store that has been around near forever and that I have been trading with for 15 years.

I don't even remember what brand it is  :lol:

Batteries are one thing than I can think of that hasn't gone up that much in price over the years.  Seems like they were about $60 back in the 1970s and everything else has gone up 4 to 10 times since then.
Freedom is a heavy load, a great and strange burden for the spirit to undertake. It is not easy. It is not a gift given, but a choice made, and the choice may be a hard one. The road goes upward toward the light; but the laden traveller may never reach the end of it.  - Ursula Le Guin

41magsnub

• friend
« Reply #20 on: November 29, 2011, 09:40:05 AM »
Follow up:

The battery in Mom's rig was an Optima red top battery.  It has one month of warranty left.  However, Dad had bought it on the Internet.  Lots of auto parts stores had that exact battery in stock but would not warranty it because one of the two part numbers were different, at each store there was a NAPA, or O'Reilly, or other vendor specific part number.    =(    Since she needed the car, I put in a new O'Reilly house brand battery that works fine.

Mom called the place he bought it from and they basically told her it is impossible for that battery to have failed and she is doing something wrong.  Let's see..  the battery is only putting out 20 amps.  It had a trickle charger on it for a couple of days, then we did the fast charge for a day.  No improvement.  I'm pretty sure it is toast.

I'll be calling them today.  If that does not accomplish anything I'll be going direct to Optima.
« Last Edit: November 29, 2011, 10:12:10 AM by 41magsnub »

wmenorr67

• friend
« Reply #21 on: November 29, 2011, 10:11:23 AM »
That is the issue you run into when you buying stuff off the internet.  Optima's are good batteries but as with anything man made some fail before there time.  I used to work for a auto parts warehouse that specialized in want to have as opposed to need to have parts.  Optimas was one of the things we carried.  I would say that 1 out of every 100 or so had some issue or other.  Some of course were operator error but I never saw Optima decline us our money back.

Brad Johnson

• friend
« Reply #22 on: November 29, 2011, 10:15:11 AM »
  If that does not accomplish anything I'll be going direct to Optima.

Unfortunately they will tell you to go back to the vendor if the battery is a vendor-specific unit (produced as a unique product run for that particular seller).  They will, however, listen quite intently to a customer that is not being properly supported by a vendor.  Optima is rightfully proud of their products and is good about making sure their vendors properly follow up with customers.

Have the battery tested at a local parts store that will give you a printed receipt showing that it failed.  Also, who is the vendor so the rest of us don't get suckered into buying from them.

Brad
"And he thought cops wouldn't chase... a STOLEN DONUT TRUCK???? That would be like Willie Nelson ignoring a pickup full of weed."
-HankB

41magsnub

• friend
« Reply #23 on: November 29, 2011, 10:23:13 AM »
The battery we have only has a single part number:  35A.  That part # is on all of that model of battery at any vendor.  There is a 2nd line for another part number where NAPA and the like put in their own specific number.  On our battery that line is blank.

Where the local parts stores were concerned and wouldn't warranty it is because of that 2nd line.  According to the optima site any dealer can warranty the battery.   :mad:

He bought it from:  http://www.1stwebsales.com/

Brad Johnson

• friend
« Reply #24 on: November 29, 2011, 10:48:20 AM »
I've got some red flags going up. 

35A is the battery group number (size) and, according to the Optima web site, it's not 35A, just 35.  Also, the Optima-specific product number (8020-164) should be somewhere on the battery.

I did some checking on 1stWebSales.  Here's what I found on Manta...

1st Web Sales LLC in Aurora, NE is a private company categorized under Business Services (Unclassified). Our records show it was established in and incorporated in Nebraska. Current estimates show this company has an annual revenue of $900,000 and employs a staff of approximately 1.

I also looked at their web page, specifically the Contact Us part.  Sorry, but anyone who won't list a phone number in a business as customer-service intensive as auto parts is a complete idiot... or a crook. Also, if you'll look at the page and click on a category (Tools, Batteries, etc) all you get is a "No Products Listed In This Category" message. 

By the way, according to a business directory search on their listed physical address, their phone number is (402) 694-9879.

Not to sound negative, but all of this is beginning to add up to something fishy, like maybe they are selling a counterfeited product.  How much did your dad pay for the battery?  If it was any less than around $145 plus freight then it's definitely a bogus part as $145 is consistently the lowest price I'm finding on the web.  A call to Optima (owned by Johnson Controls) should confirm the vendor's "authorized dealer" status.

Edit to add - Their web site designer is an idiot, too.  I followed a link to the site designer's web page.  Aside from being dull and uninspiring, the dunderhead doesn't give you any way to contact him.  None.  Not a good idea on a web site that's supposed to entice people to contact you with their business.

Brad
« Last Edit: November 29, 2011, 10:55:33 AM by Brad Johnson »
-HankB