Author Topic: MATHEMATICIANS DISCOVER LARGEST NUMBER  (Read 2825 times)

roo_ster

• Kakistocracy--It's What's For Dinner.
  • friend
  • Hoist the black flag, and begin slitting throats
MATHEMATICIANS DISCOVER LARGEST NUMBER
« on: February 12, 2009, 08:06:29 AM »
MATHEMATICIANS DISCOVER LARGEST NUMBER

PALO ALTO, CA - An international mathematics research team announced today that they had discovered a new integer that surpasses any previously known value "by a totally mindblowing shitload." Project director Yujin Xiao of Stanford University said the theoretical number, dubbed a "stimulus," could lead to breakthroughs in fields as diverse as astrophysics, quantum mechanics, and Chicago asphalt contracting.

"Unlike previous large numbers like the Googleplex or the Bazillionty, the Stimulus has no static numerical definition," said Xiao. "It keeps growing and growing, compounding factorially, eating up all zeros in its path. It moves freely across Cartesian dimensions and has the power to make any other number irrational."

Jean-Luc Brossard, a researcher with the European consortium CERN, said the number is so staggeringly large that it is difficult for even mathematicians to grasp, let alone lay people.

"The number itself is incomprehensible by human minds, and can only be theoretically understood in a fractional parallel universe which we refer to as the DC dimension," said Brossard. "The best way to understand a stimulus is to imagine a dollar sign followed by a packed string of hexidecimal nanodigits, wound into a triple helix, woven into a dodecahedron, and stacked on top of one another. Now imagine you were a black hole on the far edge of the universe, trying to escape the stimulus at 30 times the speed of light. The stimulus would still catch up to you and ram your black hole with such furious, repeated force that it would cause your entire reality itself to collapse."

Xiao said the team discovered the number with the help of an international network of 24 nitrogen-cooled Cray Ultracluster supercomputers, the CERN particle accelerator, and "three pounds of Humboldt County Chronic."

"The exciting news is that with more powerful computers and drugs, we believe we are on the verge of discovering an even larger number, which we refer to as a 'stimulusconferencebill,'" said Xiao. "Speaker Pelosi has already promised us the funding."

http://iowahawk.typepad.com/iowahawk/2009/02/numbers-in-the-news.html
Regards,

roo_ster

“Fallacies do not cease to be fallacies because they become fashions.”
----G.K. Chesterton

AZRedhawk44

• friends
Re: MATHEMATICIANS DISCOVER LARGEST NUMBER
« Reply #1 on: February 12, 2009, 09:06:34 AM »
Oh yeah?

stimulus+1.

Or even better... stimulus*stimulus.

Ooh!  (stimulus^stimulus)!  (yep, that's a factorial sign)

=D

Don't let congress know it exists, or they'll spend that number instead of just stimulus.
"But whether the Constitution really be one thing, or another, this much is certain - that it has either authorized such a government as we have had, or has been powerless to prevent it. In either case, it is unfit to exist."
--Lysander Spooner

I reject your authoritah!

MechAg94

• friend
« Reply #2 on: February 12, 2009, 09:14:26 AM »
It's also a prime number and cannot be divided.
“It is much more important to kill bad bills than to pass good ones.”  ― Calvin Coolidge

Fly320s

• friend
  • Formerly, Arthur, King of the Britons
« Reply #3 on: February 12, 2009, 10:42:15 AM »
Oh, yeah?  Chuck Norris counted the Stimulus. Twice!
Islamic sex dolls.  Do they blow themselves up?

El Tejon

• friend
    • http://www.kirkfreemanlaw.com
« Reply #4 on: February 12, 2009, 11:27:29 AM »
Why doesn't Obama just have Chuck Norris threaten the economy?

"Recover, or else *cracks knuckles*."
I do not smoke pot, wear Wookie suits, live in my mom's basement, collect unemployment checks or eat Cheetoes, therefore I am not a Ron Paul voter.

AZRedhawk44

• friends
« Reply #5 on: February 12, 2009, 11:29:32 AM »
Why doesn't Obama just have Chuck Norris threaten the economy?

"Recover, or else *cracks knuckles*."

The cracking of Norris' knuckles would set of tectonic turbulence of such terror that California would collapse into the ocean.
"But whether the Constitution really be one thing, or another, this much is certain - that it has either authorized such a government as we have had, or has been powerless to prevent it. In either case, it is unfit to exist."
--Lysander Spooner

I reject your authoritah!

roo_ster

• Kakistocracy--It's What's For Dinner.
  • friend
  • Hoist the black flag, and begin slitting throats
« Reply #6 on: February 12, 2009, 11:31:45 AM »
The cracking of Norris' knuckles would set of tectonic turbulence of such terror that California would collapse into the ocean.

OK, what's the downside?
Regards,

roo_ster

“Fallacies do not cease to be fallacies because they become fashions.”
----G.K. Chesterton

RoadKingLarry

• friends
« Reply #7 on: February 12, 2009, 11:35:26 AM »

I can live with that.
If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude better than the animating contest of freedom, go home from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or your arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains set lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that you were our countrymen.

Samuel Adams

BlueStarLizzard

• Queen of the Cislords
  • friend
  • Oh please, nobody died last time...
« Reply #8 on: February 12, 2009, 12:50:35 PM »

two birds, one stone.  :lol:
"Okay, um, I'm lost. Uh, I'm angry, and I'm armed, so if you two have something that you need to work out --" -Malcolm Reynolds

coppertales

• friend
« Reply #9 on: February 12, 2009, 02:37:04 PM »
Duh, lets start with 1 plus 1 and go from there....................and, guys get paid for this?  chris3

Physics

• ∇xE=-1/c·∂B/∂t, ∇·E=4πρ, ∇·B=0, ∇xB=1/c·∂E/∂t, F=q(E+v/cxB)
  • friend
« Reply #10 on: February 12, 2009, 03:49:45 PM »
Ohhhhhhh!  Now I understand this stimulus business. 
The best way to understand a stimulus is to imagine a dollar sign followed by a packed string of hexidecimal nanodigits, wound into a triple helix, woven into a dodecahedron, and stacked on top of one another.

It's all so much clearer now.   =D
In the world of science, there is physics.  Everything else is stamp collecting.  -Ernest Rutherford

wmenorr67

• friend
« Reply #11 on: February 12, 2009, 06:31:31 PM »
(Buzz Lightyear voice) "To stimulus and beyond!"
There are five things, above all else, that make life worth living: a good relationship with God, a good woman, good health, good friends, and a good cigar.

Only two defining forces have ever offered to die for you, Jesus Christ and the American Soldier.  One died for your soul, the other for your freedom.

Bacon is the candy bar of meats!

Only the dead have seen the end of war!

RocketMan

• Mad Rocket Scientist
  • friend
  • Semper Fidelis
« Reply #12 on: February 12, 2009, 09:06:12 PM »

And this is a problem, how?
If there really was intelligent life on other planets, we'd be sending them foreign aid.

Conservatives see George Orwell's "1984" as a cautionary tale.  Progressives view it as a "how to" manual.

My wife often says to me, "You are evil and must be destroyed." She may be right.

Liberals believe one should never let reason, logic and facts get in the way of a good emotional argument.

Don't care

deleted
« Reply #13 on: February 13, 2009, 12:25:28 AM »
« Last Edit: February 19, 2009, 12:25:00 PM by Don't care »