Author Topic: Pop-up trailer tent for APS  (Read 2003 times)

MillCreek

• Skippy The Wonder Dog
  • friend
  • APS Risk Manager

Quote from: Angel Eyes on August 09, 2018, 01:56:15 AM
You are one lousy risk manager.

Harold Tuttle

• Professor Chromedome
  • friend
"The true mad scientist does not make public appearances! He does not wear the "Hello, my name is.." badge!
He strikes from below like a viper or on high like a penny dropped from the tallest building around!
He only has one purpose--Do bad things to good people! Mit science! What good is science if no one gets hurt?!"

Tallpine

• friends
  • Grumpy Old Grandpa
Re: Pop-up trailer tent for APS
« Reply #2 on: June 11, 2014, 01:25:47 PM »
http://www.gizmag.com/rugged-xventure-off-road-trailer/32226/?utm_source=Gizmag+Subscribers&utm_campaign=59d5f6a327-UA-2235360-4&utm_medium=email&utm_term=0_65b67362bd-59d5f6a327-89720485

Oh my gosh, I want.
Because sleeping way up there with the wind blowing under you is so much warmer  :facepalm:

Even a little trailer is a burden for serious off-road adventures.  That's two more wheels dragging instead of pulling, and backing up (or out) is problematic.  Use a normal tent, or else a real camper trailer and set up your base camp where the road's not so bad.  I've taken my 8x17' Roadrunner into some pretty rough places with a 2wd pickup back when logging.

And $12K ++   ;/
Freedom is a heavy load, a great and strange burden for the spirit to undertake. It is not easy. It is not a gift given, but a choice made, and the choice may be a hard one. The road goes upward toward the light; but the laden traveller may never reach the end of it.  - Ursula Le Guin

Hawkmoon

• friend
« Reply #3 on: June 11, 2014, 02:27:11 PM »
$12,000 for a camper trailer?

Any self-respecting Jeeper would fab his own version of that by using a cut-off pickup bed and adding a plywood deck/tonneau cover to serve as the tent base. Cost should be about 1/10th or less.
- - - - - - - - - - - - -
100% Politically Incorrect by Design

charby

• Necromancer
  • Administrator
  • APS's Resident Sikh/Muslim
« Reply #4 on: June 11, 2014, 02:28:39 PM »
I could see a family of grizzly bears thinking its an elevated snack box of human treats.
Iowa- 88% more livable that the rest of the US

Uranus is a gas giant.

Team 444: Member# 536

roo_ster

• Kakistocracy--It's What's For Dinner.
  • friend
  • Hoist the black flag, and begin slitting throats
« Reply #5 on: June 11, 2014, 05:16:51 PM »
I could see a family of grizzly bears thinking its an elevated snack box of human treats.

Meat pinata.
Regards,

roo_ster

“Fallacies do not cease to be fallacies because they become fashions.”
----G.K. Chesterton

Tallpine

• friends
  • Grumpy Old Grandpa
« Reply #6 on: June 11, 2014, 05:47:59 PM »
$12,000 for a camper trailer?

Any self-respecting Jeeper would fab his own version of that by using a cut-off pickup bed and adding a plywood deck/tonneau cover to serve as the tent base. Cost should be about 1/10th or less.
The camper part is a $1500 option  ;/

Are they trying for the Guiness "Most Expensive Two Wheel Utility Trailer" record  ???

There was a guy who tried to haul firewood with a Land Rover and a 5x8 trailer.  He got stuck on a muddy hill and I pulled him on up with my K-20 loaded with about five times the amount of wood that he had on his little trailer  :P
Freedom is a heavy load, a great and strange burden for the spirit to undertake. It is not easy. It is not a gift given, but a choice made, and the choice may be a hard one. The road goes upward toward the light; but the laden traveller may never reach the end of it.  - Ursula Le Guin

onions!

• friend
  • Space for rent.
« Reply #7 on: June 11, 2014, 06:27:13 PM »
Jeep trailer.
http://www.mopar.com/shop/camper-trailers/

They had two versions.One was over 10k,the other was over 14k.Two years ago.

They were kinda neat.We had one on display for a while.Not 14k neat though.

Jeep fanboys drooled.
jeff w

I like onions!

Tallpine

• friends
  • Grumpy Old Grandpa
« Reply #8 on: June 11, 2014, 08:20:15 PM »
Why not just buy a full size 4wd pickup and put a pop-up camper on it ?   :facepalm:

I still wonder a little about people taking a $40-50K SUV out in the rocks and bushes  ;/

One of the first things I learned as a young off road enthusiast was that your rig doesn't stay nice.

onions!

• friend
  • Space for rent.
« Reply #9 on: June 11, 2014, 09:28:31 PM »
Why not just buy a full size 4wd pickup and put a pop-up camper on it ?   :facepalm:

I still wonder a little about people taking a $40-50K SUV out in the rocks and bushes  ;/

One of the first things I learned as a young off road enthusiast was that your rig doesn't stay nice.
I was working at a GMC dealership when the Denali came out in 1999.A black one came in for an oil change that fall scratched all to hell.The owner was like "so?".
People with money are weird.
jeff w

I like onions!

Tallpine

• friends
  • Grumpy Old Grandpa
« Reply #10 on: June 12, 2014, 10:05:05 AM »
I was working at a GMC dealership when the Denali came out in 1999.A black one came in for an oil change that fall scratched all to hell.The owner was like "so?".
People with money are weird.
I guess I "had money" back when I was single and earning just over minumum wage because I didn't mind scratching my $4000 pickup.  I still can't wrap my head around the prices of today.

Still, I see a lot of lifted pickups with the big custom wheels etc all waxed and shiny around town.  I don't suppose they ever even get off of pavement for fear of getting a scratch or getting dirty  ;/

charby

• Necromancer
  • Administrator
« Reply #11 on: June 12, 2014, 10:56:32 AM »
I guess I "had money" back when I was single and earning just over minumum wage because I didn't mind scratching my $4000 pickup.  I still can't wrap my head around the prices of today.

Still, I see a lot of lifted pickups with the big custom wheels etc all waxed and shiny around town.  I don't suppose they ever even get off of pavement for fear of getting a scratch or getting dirty  ;/

What did you make per year when new pickup trucks were $4000? 1993 I made $17k per year working in a factory and a fully loaded extended cab 1/2 ton 4x4 Chevy pickup was $21k.

For some people a tricked out pickup truck is their version of a shiny sports car.

Uranus is a gas giant.

Sawdust

• friend
« Reply #12 on: June 12, 2014, 12:22:02 PM »

Them are called 'bro dozers'.

Sawdust
Retain what's coming in; send off what is retreating.

Well, you going to pull those pistols boy,
or just whistle Dixie?

I'm your huckleberry.

Tallpine

• friends
  • Grumpy Old Grandpa
« Reply #13 on: June 12, 2014, 01:16:34 PM »
What did you make per year when new pickup trucks were $4000? 1993 I made $17k per year working in a factory and a fully loaded extended cab 1/2 ton 4x4 Chevy pickup was $21k.

I dunno ... Maybe around $2 an hour  =|  I was just out of high school.

So a new 4x4 pickup was about a year's salary.  Minimum wage would have to be $20/hr now to afford a $40K pickup on a year's earnings.

charby

• Necromancer
  • Administrator
« Reply #14 on: June 12, 2014, 01:30:56 PM »
I dunno ... Maybe around $2 an hour  =|  I was just out of high school.

So a new 4x4 pickup was about a year's salary.  Minimum wage would have to be $20/hr now to afford a $40K pickup on a year's earnings.

I'm going to assume you are close to my parents age by the situations in your past you describe.

In 1968 a 1/2 Chevy pickup 2wd MSRP was ~$2350. Minimum wage $1.60 per hour.

Inflation corrected to 2013 dollars the minimum wage is $7.21/hour* and the pickup would be $15,617.49**.

*http://www.infoplease.com/ipa/A0774473.html
**http://www.bls.gov/data/inflation_calculator.htm

Uranus is a gas giant.

Tallpine

• friends
  • Grumpy Old Grandpa
« Reply #15 on: June 12, 2014, 01:37:25 PM »
Are there any new full size pickups even under $30K these days  ???

charby

• Necromancer
  • Administrator
« Reply #16 on: June 12, 2014, 01:44:30 PM »
Are there any new full size pickups even under $30K these days  ???

Lots

Most base models are at $25k.

Uranus is a gas giant.

Tallpine

• friends
  • Grumpy Old Grandpa
« Reply #17 on: June 12, 2014, 03:56:12 PM »
Lots

Most base models are at $25k.
Try finding one for sale on a lot  =|

4wd adds about $5K right off the bat, right ...?

charby

• Necromancer
  • Administrator
« Reply #18 on: June 12, 2014, 04:04:38 PM »
Try finding one for sale on a lot  =|

4wd adds about $5K right off the bat, right ...?

Does it hurt to have to order something from the manufacturer so you can get what you want?

If there was a demand for the Grumpy Old Man special, then the dealerships would have them in the showroom.

Uranus is a gas giant.

Tallpine

• friends
  • Grumpy Old Grandpa
« Reply #19 on: June 12, 2014, 04:16:44 PM »
Does it hurt to have to order something from the manufacturer so you can get what you want?
Yeah, actually it doe$  =(

Last new pickup that I bought (about the time you were in diapers  :lol: ), I really wanted something totally different (stepside, big six cylinder) but the price for a special order was thousands above something in stock.

charby

• Necromancer
  • Administrator
« Reply #20 on: June 12, 2014, 04:21:48 PM »
Yeah, actually it doe$  =(

Last new pickup that I bought (about the time you were in diapers  :lol: ), I really wanted something totally different (stepside, big six cylinder) but the price for a special order was thousands above something in stock.

What year would that be?

Uranus is a gas giant.

Tallpine

• friends
  • Grumpy Old Grandpa
« Reply #21 on: June 12, 2014, 04:32:37 PM »
What year would that be?
1979 I think  =)   It was a 1980 model year pickup that I finally bought.

I'm not sure how we got off on this, from a $15K glorified pickup bed trailer to pull behind your jeep  ???

Or maybe this diversion somehow verifies that newer 4x4 pickups aren't really intended to ever be taken off-road ?  =|

Another thing is that there are a lot fewer places to go "four wheeling" than there used to be, what with USFS/BLM road closures and new "wilderness" areas.  I'm not sure there are too many places to camp as suggested in the original post, without somebody in a motor home moving in on you  :P    :facepalm: