Author Topic: Dead trees and insurance  (Read 1452 times)

brimic

• friends
Dead trees and insurance
« on: October 08, 2018, 09:27:06 AM »
I have 3 dead ash trees in my front yard, 1 near my house, 2 near my power lines.
The one near the house leans a bit away from the house, and I’m pretty confident that I can drop it without problems, same with one near the power lines.
The third has a branch hanging near the wires and has a large maple on its other side... this one might give me trouble and I might hire it out.

Locally, it’s about $1000 to fell a tree.

Wife is concerned that if something goes wrong with the other 2- and one falls on house or power lines, that insurance won’t cover it. Short of calling my agent... I haven’t been able to find a consistent answer on this one.
I did find out that a dead tree falling on my house would probably not be covered however.
"now you see that evil will always triumph, because good is dumb" -Dark Helmet

"AK47's belong in the hands of soldiers mexican drug cartels"-
Barack Obama

Nick1911

• Administrator
Re: Dead trees and insurance
« Reply #1 on: October 08, 2018, 09:36:53 AM »
I don't see why it wouldn't.  After all, if you have a house fire due entirely to yourself, smoking in bed, cooking fire, etc, that's covered.  However I learned not to try to apply logic to such things.  Probably best to find out directly.

grampster

• friend
« Reply #2 on: October 08, 2018, 09:47:07 AM »
Stupid is an insured peril.  But if a dead tree that you failed to take care of damages someone elses property, you can be held liable.
"Never wrestle with a pig.  You get dirty, and besides, the pig likes it."  G.B. Shaw

Brad Johnson

• friend
  • Witty, charming, handsome, and completely insane.
« Reply #3 on: October 08, 2018, 09:50:29 AM »
Healthy tree falls due to wind or other "Act of God" type thing, covered. Dead tree that's been ignored by the homeowner, probably not covered.

Ignoring an obvious potential danger and/or not properly maintaining landscaping around the property will likely fall under willful neglect or some sub-paragraph dealing with the insured's responsibility for reasonable upkeep. Insurance company's liability and coverage varies by state.

Short version... call your agent to verify.

Brad
It's all about the pancakes, people.
"And he thought cops wouldn't chase... a STOLEN DONUT TRUCK???? That would be like Willie Nelson ignoring a pickup full of weed."
-HankB

MillCreek

• Skippy The Wonder Dog
  • friend
  • APS Risk Manager
« Reply #4 on: October 08, 2018, 10:16:41 AM »
I knew that working as a risk manager for 35 years and having a tree fall on our house in 2015 would pay off someday.  In a nutshell, if an ordinary healthy tree on your property falls onto your neighbor's house, it is your neighbor's homeowners insurance that will cover the claim.  If you have knowledge as to a dangerous tree on your property that you did nothing about and it falls onto your neighbor's house, their homeowners insurance can subrogate against you and your insurance, so that you or your insurance company pays the neighbor's claim.

When the neighbor's tree fell on our house, leading to 10 months of repair and a $ 68,000 homeowner's claim, I had the tree service come and remove the tree from the roof. My neighbor was still having the house constructed, so the property belonged to the developer.  I had the arborist go through and mark each tree on the neighbor's property adjacent to our house that could be considered dangerous.  I then sent a certified letter to the developer enclosing the arborist report and asking him to remediate the dangerous trees. I advised that failure to do so would result in my insurance company subrogating against him should any of the dangerous trees fell on my house. The developer had his own arborist come out and look at the property; that arborist agreed as to the dangerous trees and the developer paid to have them taken down.

So the moral of the story, is if you wish to avoid a possible subrogation claim against you for a known dangerous tree falling on your neighbor, you should have them removed.  You should also talk to your insurance agent or broker, but I would be surprised if their advice differed markedly from my advice here.

Quote from: Angel Eyes on August 09, 2018, 01:56:15 AM
You are one lousy risk manager.

never_retreat

• Head Muckety Muck
  • friend
« Reply #5 on: October 08, 2018, 11:03:16 PM »
Unrelated you may be able to get the power company to come and lop off the stuff close to the wires by just asking.
I needed a mod to change my signature because the concept of "family friendly" eludes me.
Just noticed that a mod changed my signature. How long ago was that?
A few months-mods

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
« Reply #6 on: October 08, 2018, 11:11:06 PM »
Unrelated you may be able to get the power company to come and lop off the stuff close to the wires by just asking.

SoCal Edison comes down our private road and trims tree branches too close to power lines every year. Or I should say they have someone do surveys, and if branches are approaching lines, they send a tree crew out. I don't have trees near the lines, but a couple of neighbors do and it's always taken care of for free.

That's just for trees under the main lines though. They don't trim between the poles and wherever the electric line runs to the homes.
"I'm a foolish old man that has been drawn into a wild goose chase by a harpy in trousers and a nincompoop."

brimic

• friends
« Reply #7 on: October 09, 2018, 10:35:56 AM »
Called power company, they said they will send out an arborist to assess.
Called my insurance agent- I was told that a tree falling the wrong way would be covered, but wind blowing down a dead tree wouldn't- confirmed what I suspected.

Barack Obama

brimic

• friends
« Reply #8 on: October 12, 2018, 12:32:27 PM »
YAY!
Power company is going to top my trees down to 20' so there is no danger of hitting the lines when I cut them down. Huge win.

Barack Obama

KD5NRH

• friends
  • I'm too sexy for you people.
« Reply #9 on: October 12, 2018, 12:54:40 PM »
YAY!
Power company is going to top my trees down to 20' so there is no danger of hitting the lines when I cut them down. Huge win.

Detcord time.

charby

• Necromancer
  • Administrator
  • APS's Resident Sikh/Muslim
« Reply #10 on: October 12, 2018, 12:56:38 PM »
YAY!

That's awesome, should save you $$$ on having the rest hired out.
Iowa- 88% more livable that the rest of the US

Uranus is a gas giant.

Team 444: Member# 536

TechMan

• Administrator
  • Yes, your moderation has been outsourced.
« Reply #11 on: October 12, 2018, 01:14:28 PM »
YAY!

Nice...I had an white ash that was right on top of my house, it cost me $3800 to have them remove it. They had to bring in a crane to take it down limb by limb.
Hawkmoon - Never underestimate another person's capacity for stupidity. Any time you think someone can't possibly be that dumb ... they'll prove you wrong.

Bacon and Eggs - A day's work for a chicken; A lifetime commitment for a pig.
Stupidity will always be its own reward.
Bad decisions make good stories.

Viking - The problem with the modern world is that there aren't really any predators eating stupid people.

brimic

• friends
« Reply #12 on: October 12, 2018, 01:38:00 PM »
That's awesome, should save you $$$ on having the rest hired out.

Its going to save me around  $2000- I ordered a Husqvarna 445, bought a few axes, PPE, and felling wedges.

A tree company quoted me a bit under $3000 to remove the trees, stump grinding extra.

I've asked about stumps before- they are usually about $45/ea

Barack Obama

brimic

• friends
« Reply #13 on: October 12, 2018, 01:42:59 PM »
Nice...I had an white ash that was right on top of my house, it cost me $3800 to have them remove it. They had to bring in a crane to take it down limb by limb.

Wife wants me to take down a maple too close to my house now as well. It still pretty small- maybe 7-8" diameter. Its a really beautiful tree, but it blocks the front bay window, and the branches overhand my roof in a bad way- like actually laying on the roof.

Barack Obama

Scout26

• I'm a leaf on the wind.
  • friend
  • I spent a week in that town one night....
« Reply #14 on: October 12, 2018, 01:57:55 PM »

Wife wants me to take down a maple too close to my house now as well. It still pretty small- maybe 7-8" diameter. Its a really beautiful tree, but it blocks the front bay window, and the branches overhand my roof in a bad way- like actually laying on the roof.

Just get it trimmed back and off the house.
Some days even my lucky rocketship underpants won't help.

Bring me my Broadsword and a clear understanding.
Get up to the roundhouse on the cliff-top standing.
Take women and children and bed them down.
Bless with a hard heart those that stand with me.
Bless the women and children who firm our hands.
Put our backs to the north wind.
Hold fast by the river.
Sweet memories to drive us on,
for the motherland.

brimic

• friends
« Reply #15 on: October 12, 2018, 02:25:05 PM »
Just get it trimmed back and off the house.

My wife has some sort of light-sensory issue. Anything blocking light or rooms not having enough light really bothers her. She has a point though- most of my windows and living space point in the north direction.

Barack Obama

TechMan

• Administrator
« Reply #16 on: October 12, 2018, 03:15:45 PM »

Ours was there for a looooooong time, the trunk had a 10' circumference.
Hawkmoon - Never underestimate another person's capacity for stupidity. Any time you think someone can't possibly be that dumb ... they'll prove you wrong.

Viking - The problem with the modern world is that there aren't really any predators eating stupid people.

brimic

• friends
« Reply #17 on: October 12, 2018, 03:20:54 PM »
Ours was there for a looooooong time, the trunk had a 10' circumference.

I have one huge maple in the middle of my front yard- I'm guessing its a silver maple.... last big wind storm, a 4" thick branch broke off, blew about 50-60' and bounced off the trunk lid of my car. That one tree provides all the shade i need.

Barack Obama

TechMan

• Administrator
« Reply #18 on: October 12, 2018, 05:07:27 PM »
I have one huge maple in the middle of my front yard- I'm guessing its a silver maple.... last big wind storm, a 4" thick branch broke off, blew about 50-60' and bounced off the trunk lid of my car. That one tree provides all the shade i need.

Silver maples are crap trees, we had one in our front yard as well, not as big as the white ash and it was constantly dropping limbs.  We had it taken down a few years ago.