Author Topic: President Trump Will Permit Citizens to Buy Military Surplus 1911 Pistols  (Read 11117 times)

Ron

• friends
  • Like a tree planted by the rivers of water
    • What I believe ...
http://www.breitbart.com/big-government/2017/11/24/trump-permit-citizens-buy-military-surplus-1911-pistols/

President Trump is set to sign the 2018 National Defense Authorization Act, which contains an amendment that allows U.S. citizens to acquire military surplus 1911 pistols.
The sales will occur under the auspices of the Civilian Marksmanship Program, which has been selling approved military surplus weapons to citizens for more than 100 years.

Just a drive by post, thought you guys should know.
For the invisible things of him since the creation of the world are clearly seen, being perceived through the things that are made, even his everlasting power and divinity, that they may be without excuse. Because knowing God, they didn’t glorify him as God, and didn’t give thanks, but became vain in their reasoning, and their senseless heart was darkened. Professing themselves to be wise, they became fools.

230RN

• saw it coming.
  • friend
  • ...shall not be allowed.
Re: President Trump Will Permit Citizens to Buy Military Surplus 1911 Pistols
« Reply #1 on: November 25, 2017, 12:42:09 PM »
Now let's see him direct the State Department to allow importation of the M1 Carbines in Korea.  My understanding is they're U.S. property anyhow, they're just not "for sporting purposes."

I gotcha yer "sporting purpose" right here...   >:D

I don't know if any or many of them are the M2 full-auto variations.... anyone know?

Terry

REF:
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/M1_carbine
WHATEVER YOUR DEFINITION OF "INFRINGE " IS, YOU SHOULDN'T BE DOING IT.

Hawkmoon

• friend
« Reply #2 on: November 25, 2017, 12:54:03 PM »
Another example of Democrat idiocy. The transfer of these old M1911A1s to the CMP was actually established two or three years ago, under Obama, but it somehow just didn't happen. This new act basically requires it to take place. As it should. The Democrats, of course, weep and wail and rend garments over releasing all these weapons of war onto the streets. Aside from the fact that an M1911A1 only holds 8 rounds, compared to however many thousand rounds a Glock holds, these things are collector guns and they'll be sold at collector prices, all through legitimate channels. The average street thug or Islamist terrorist isn't going to spend $1,000 and up for an antique firearm with a limited capacity when he can buy a Glock on any street corner for a couple of hundred dollars -- off paper.
- - - - - - - - - - - - -
100% Politically Incorrect by Design

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
« Reply #3 on: November 25, 2017, 01:11:56 PM »
Another example of Democrat idiocy. The transfer of these old M1911A1s to the CMP was actually established two or three years ago, under Obama, but it somehow just didn't happen. This new act basically requires it to take place. As it should. The Democrats, of course, weep and wail and rend garments over releasing all these weapons of war onto the streets. Aside from the fact that an M1911A1 only holds 8 rounds, compared to however many thousand rounds a Glock holds, these things are collector guns and they'll be sold at collector prices, all through legitimate channels. The average street thug or Islamist terrorist isn't going to spend $1,000 and up for an antique firearm with a limited capacity when he can buy a Glock on any street corner for a couple of hundred dollars -- off paper.

I'm glad to see this finally happening. It will be interesting to see the arguments that the antis use. A 100+ year old pistol design that holds under 10 rounds. That's nearly "the kind of firearms that the founding fathers had".  :laugh:

Seems like there should be some good PR campaigns that the pro gun side can use when the antis protest this "weapon of war".

As for the average street thug - I'm not sure that half of them could even rack the slide of a 1911.
"I'm a foolish old man that has been drawn into a wild goose chase by a harpy in trousers and a nincompoop."

Hawkmoon

• friend
« Reply #4 on: November 25, 2017, 01:33:41 PM »
As for the average street thug - I'm not sure that half of them could even rack the slide of a 1911.

One of the things I like about carrying a 1911 is that in the unlikely event a goblin grabs it out of my holster, he probably won't be able to shoot it because he most likely won't know about the thumb safety.

Of course, if a goblin grabs my gun out of my holster, I deserve to be shot due to loss of situational awareness ...

Devonai

• friend
  • Panic Mode Activated
    • Kyrie Devonai Publishing
« Reply #5 on: November 25, 2017, 03:20:16 PM »
Just throw a spare magazine at him, everyone on the internet knows that 8 rounds of .45 ACP at low velocity will blow him off his feet.
My writing blog: Kyrie Devonai Publishing

When in danger, when in doubt, run in circles, scream and shout!

230RN

• saw it coming.
  • friend
« Reply #6 on: November 25, 2017, 05:26:34 PM »
Ben wisecracked,

I'm glad to see this finally happening. It will be interesting to see the arguments that the antis use. A 100+ year old pistol design that holds under 10 rounds. That's nearly "the kind of firearms that the founding fathers had."

Dayam, I wish I'd thought of that one.  Will filch.

Terry

just Warren

• friend
  • My DJ name is Heavy Cream.
« Reply #7 on: November 25, 2017, 06:40:49 PM »
How come Trump not letting us buy .46 caliber guns, huh?
Member in Good Standing of the Spontaneous Order of the Invisible Hand.

MechAg94

• friend
« Reply #8 on: November 25, 2017, 07:37:33 PM »
Just throw a spare magazine at him, everyone on the internet knows that 8 rounds of .45 ACP at low velocity will blow him off his feet.
:rofl:
“It is much more important to kill bad bills than to pass good ones.”  ― Calvin Coolidge

MechAg94

• friend
« Reply #9 on: November 25, 2017, 07:40:28 PM »
Does anyone know where the resistance was to make this happen?  I assume it was on the military side, but I recall hearing the Army office that was supposed to authorize it was not filled until this year.
“It is much more important to kill bad bills than to pass good ones.”  ― Calvin Coolidge

Hawkmoon

• friend
« Reply #10 on: November 25, 2017, 09:00:25 PM »
Does anyone know where the resistance was to make this happen?  I assume it was on the military side, but I recall hearing the Army office that was supposed to authorize it was not filled until this year.

No, the resistance wasn't from the .mil. It was from the Democrats, and the embedded liberals within the .gov. The military wants to get rid of the 1911s, because they don't want the expense and the responsibility of storing them and keeping track of them. In fact, I have a suspicion that the transfers began (physically) several months ago. Over on The Firing Line (I think, or maybe it was M1911.org, or maybe both) a newbie showed up asking some very specific questions about a military M1911A1 with a couple of unusual markings. He didn't say who he was, but he said something about grading a bunch of guns. Hmmm ...

His location was given as Anniston, AL ... and the headquarters of the CMP is Anniston, AL.

KD5NRH

• friends
  • I'm too sexy for you people.
« Reply #11 on: November 25, 2017, 09:30:31 PM »
How come Trump not letting us buy .46 caliber guns, huh?

Depending on barrel erosion, he might be.

just Warren

• friend
« Reply #12 on: November 25, 2017, 09:47:42 PM »
So Trump is selling us out-of-tolerance and possible unsafe weapons!?

KD5NRH

• friends
  • I'm too sexy for you people.
« Reply #13 on: November 25, 2017, 10:10:02 PM »
So Trump is selling us out-of-tolerance and possible unsafe weapons!?

Don't think of it as unsafe; just adventurous.

HankB

• friend
« Reply #14 on: November 25, 2017, 10:11:26 PM »
I'm glad to see this finally happening. It will be interesting to see the arguments that the antis use.  . . .
I saw a "news" piece claiming .gov was going to sell SOME OF THE MOST POWERFUL GUNS THE ARMY HAS to civilians.

Nope, not 155mm howitzers, not 20mm rotary cannon, not 25mm chain guns, not 120mm tank guns . . . but .45 caliber pistols.

THAT is one of the arguments the antis are using.  :facepalm:
Trump won in 2016. Democrats haven't been so offended since Republicans came along and freed their slaves.
Sometimes I wonder if the world is being run by smart people who are putting us on, or by imbeciles who really mean it. - Mark Twain
Government is a broker in pillage, and every election is a sort of advance auction in stolen goods. - H.L. Mencken
Patriotism is supporting your country all the time, and your government when it deserves it. - Mark Twain

just Warren

• friend
« Reply #15 on: November 25, 2017, 10:16:44 PM »
It's a little known fact that the Enola Gay didn't actually drop an A-bomb on our Japanese friends, instead bombardier Thomas Ferebee just leaned out of the bomb-bay doors, fired one round from his Air Force issued 1911 and Hiroshima went poof.

Hawkmoon

• friend
« Reply #16 on: November 25, 2017, 10:18:05 PM »
I saw a "news" piece claiming .gov was going to sell SOME OF THE MOST POWERFUL GUNS THE ARMY HAS to civilians.

Nope, not 155mm howitzers, not 20mm rotary cannon, not 25mm chain guns, not 120mm tank guns . . . but .45 caliber pistols.

Well, after all, if a .45 hits the tip of your pinky finger it'll blow you clear across the room and through the wall.

zxcvbob

• friend
« Reply #17 on: November 25, 2017, 10:38:58 PM »
Well, after all, if a .45 hits the tip of your pinky finger it'll blow you clear across the room and through the wall.

Yeah, but that's the .45 Colt revolver cartridge.  That extra 25 grains of bullet weight makes all the difference ;)
"It's good, though..."

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
« Reply #18 on: November 25, 2017, 10:45:39 PM »

Seems like that's ripe for the counter argument that it's a slow, plodding round that travels only half as fast as their modern stuff.  =D
"I'm a foolish old man that has been drawn into a wild goose chase by a harpy in trousers and a nincompoop."

Firethorn

• friend
  • Where'd my explosive space modulator go?
« Reply #19 on: November 26, 2017, 01:09:46 AM »
Seems like that's ripe for the counter argument that it's a slow, plodding round that travels only half as fast as their modern stuff.  =D

That's what the liberals would be arguing if we were proposing to sell the M9 pistols that are becoming obsolete with the introduction of the new sigs.

230RN

• saw it coming.
  • friend
« Reply #20 on: November 26, 2017, 02:29:28 AM »
^
Yeah, and that M9 ammo is specifically "for war."

Eeeeek !

It's even labeled as "parabellum."

Definitely not a "sporting purpose."

I gotcher "sporting purpose" right here.  <grabs crotch>

Terry, 230RN

K Frame

• friend
  • I Am Inimical
« Reply #21 on: November 26, 2017, 07:01:37 AM »
Oh mah gerd! Won't someone think of the little chillruns of color?
Carbon Monoxide, sucking the life out of idiots, 'tards, and fools since man tamed fire.

HankB

• friend
« Reply #22 on: November 26, 2017, 12:08:13 PM »
Oh mah gerd! Won't someone think of the little chillruns of color?
Noveske did

https://www.noveske.com/products/ghettoblaster

(Probably the same marketing genius who did the Charter Arms "Bonnie & Clyde" ad campaign several decades ago.)
Trump won in 2016. Democrats haven't been so offended since Republicans came along and freed their slaves.
Sometimes I wonder if the world is being run by smart people who are putting us on, or by imbeciles who really mean it. - Mark Twain
Government is a broker in pillage, and every election is a sort of advance auction in stolen goods. - H.L. Mencken
Patriotism is supporting your country all the time, and your government when it deserves it. - Mark Twain

MechAg94

• friend
« Reply #23 on: November 26, 2017, 08:23:21 PM »
^
Yeah, and that M9 ammo is specifically "for war."

Eeeeek !

It's even labeled as "parabellum."

Definitely not a "sporting purpose."

I gotcher "sporting purpose" right here.  <grabs crotch>

Terry, 230RN

The M9's were made in the US correct?  "Sporting purpose" should never apply.

Scout26

• I'm a leaf on the wind.
  • friend
  • I spent a week in that town one night....
« Reply #24 on: November 26, 2017, 10:01:03 PM »
The M9's were made in the US correct?  "Sporting purpose" should never apply.

Same with 1911's and the "Korean" carbines, since they were made in the US.
Some days even my lucky rocketship underpants won't help.

Bring me my Broadsword and a clear understanding.
Get up to the roundhouse on the cliff-top standing.
Take women and children and bed them down.
Bless with a hard heart those that stand with me.
Bless the women and children who firm our hands.
Put our backs to the north wind.
Hold fast by the river.
Sweet memories to drive us on,
for the motherland.