Author Topic: Richardson man gets 7 years in '04 computer export case  (Read 4600 times)

roo_ster

• Kakistocracy--It's What's For Dinner.
  • friend
  • Hoist the black flag, and begin slitting throats
Richardson man gets 7 years in '04 computer export case
« on: October 12, 2006, 03:11:22 AM »
http://www.dallasnews.com/sharedcontent/dws/news/city/richardson/stories/DN-elashi_12met.ART0.West.Edition1.3e3e2b0.html

By MICHAEL GRABELL / The Dallas Morning News

Before being sentenced to seven years in prison Wednesday, one of the Richardson businessmen once described by the government as "terrorist money men" for Hamas told the judge that the FBI was overly zealous in trying to connect his business mistakes to terrorism financing.

Bayan Elashi, former chief executive officer of InfoCom Corp., said in his first public comments about the case that federal prosecutors couldn't find anything related to terrorism  so they went after him for common errors normally punished with administrative fines.

"I can see that there was some mistakes in the business process of InfoCom, but these mistakes were actually unintentional  but they were not for personal gain," he said. "What actually concerns me more is the aggressive pursuit of the government on this issue."

Mr. Elashi and his four brothers were found guilty in July 2004 of violating U.S. export laws by illegally shipping computers to Libya and Syria, considered state sponsors of terrorism at the time.

He and two of the brothers were also convicted in April 2005 of conspiring to launder money with Mousa Abu Marzook, a leader of the Palestinian militant group Hamas. Mr. Elashi's attorney argued at trial that the money was part of legitimate business with a cousin who is Mr. Marzook's wife.

The case focuses on a $250,000 investment in InfoCom, the Elashis' Richardson computer firm, allegedly made by Mr. Marzook. According to the indictment, the company later changed the books to show that the investment was made by his wife, Nadia Elashi, and to hide Mr. Marzook's involvement.

The Elashi brothers weren't charged with financing Hamas or supporting terrorism in this case. But after their 2002 indictment, U.S. Attorney General John Ashcroft called them "terrorist money men" for Hamas.

In his statement, Mr. Elashi, 51, said that other companies involved in the shipments also violated export laws but that the government has looked the other way. Federal prosecutor Jim Jacks said it was "galling" that Mr. Elashi would portray himself as a victim.

"Bayan Elashi is attempting to blame everybody else and not taking responsibility for what he and his company and his co-defendants did," he said. "He was certainly someone who had the power to stop any of these acts."

Mr. Elashi faced a possible sentence of 6 ½ to just over nine years in prison. He has been in prison about four years, including 18 months in isolation, his attorney said. After serving his sentence, the Gaza native will be deported.

Two brothers, Ihsan "Sammy" Elashi and Hazim Elashi, received six- and 5 ½-year sentences, respectively, in January. The last two brothers convicted, Ghassan and Basman Elashi, will be sentenced today and Friday.

E-mail mgrabell@dallasnews.com
Here's a little smething to go with Mr. Elashi's whine:
Regards,

roo_ster

“Fallacies do not cease to be fallacies because they become fashions.”
----G.K. Chesterton

ilbob

• friend
    • Bob's blog
« Reply #1 on: October 12, 2006, 03:45:05 AM »
I hope he rots somewhere. Consorting with our enemies is the key here. he did it, it is unequivical, he ought to pay big time.
bob

Disclaimers: I am not a lawyer, cop, soldier, gunsmith, politician, plumber, electrician, or a professional practitioner of many of the other things I comment on in this forum.

Sylvilagus Aquaticus

• friend
    • http://profiles.yahoo.com/sylvilagus
« Reply #2 on: October 12, 2006, 06:32:15 AM »
The day the raids and arrests all went down I found myself in a fast food joint not far from their office.  4 tables over were all the 'non-custodial' members of InfoCom/THLF's staff, numbering about 15 in all; all were Arab men, mid 20's to early 40's. They were creating quite a scene and were in a very heated discussion, in Arabic, about the days events.  As SWMBO and I were the only White Infidels in the joint, SWMBO was pushing me to finish my Sourdough Jack and Dr. Pepper and get the hell out of there before a SWAT team arrived.

Interesting day, that. Richardson and Arlington, and to a lesser extent, Plano, are sites of radical mosques. I wanted to buy a house in a neighborhood not far from the Richardson mosque, but we were 'discouraged' as the neighbors in that area are really trying to encourage their clique to buy up any and all properties in the area.

The Elashis are as involved as they can be in the Palestinian money funnelling machine. 7 years is a slap on the wrist.

Look for more to surface from N. TX as a hotbed of Wahabiism.

Regards,
Rabbit.
To punish me for my contempt for authority, fate made me an authority myself.
Albert Einstein

Perd Hapley

• Superstar of the Internet
  • friend
  • My prepositions are on/in
« Reply #3 on: October 12, 2006, 08:05:06 AM »
Why North Texas, do you think?
"Doggies are angel babies!" -- my wife

mfree

• friend
« Reply #4 on: October 12, 2006, 08:46:57 AM »
*shrug* feels like home?

HankB

• friend
« Reply #5 on: October 12, 2006, 11:47:05 AM »
They were creating quite a scene and were in a very heated discussion, in Arabic, about the days events.
A pity you couldn't tape record - or better yet, film - the discussion.
Trump won in 2016. Democrats haven't been so offended since Republicans came along and freed their slaves.
Sometimes I wonder if the world is being run by smart people who are putting us on, or by imbeciles who really mean it. - Mark Twain
Government is a broker in pillage, and every election is a sort of advance auction in stolen goods. - H.L. Mencken
Patriotism is supporting your country all the time, and your government when it deserves it. - Mark Twain

roo_ster

• friend
« Reply #6 on: October 12, 2006, 11:57:36 AM »
Quote from: fistful
Why North Texas, do you think?
Well, a lot of muslims settled there.

Which brings up two more questions:
1. Why did they settle in N Texas?
2. Why are they radicalized?

The answer to #1 is likely the telecom & dot-com boom.  A huge number of folks from the ME went to university in the USA & studied computer science of various flavors.  They could put those skills to use in N Texas.

The answer to #2 is that the Saudis fund the vast majority of mosques outside majority-mislim countries.  The Richardson mosque was stung a while back when the usual vile* Wahabi materials were found in use & on display.

* Nasty, antisemetic & such like.  The sort of thing that would get a Christian church into serious hot water if found within its walls...and be given HUGE coverge.  Just think if that Phelps-creature put his thoughts on paper...
Regards,

roo_ster

----G.K. Chesterton

Sylvilagus Aquaticus

• friend
« Reply #7 on: October 12, 2006, 06:55:23 PM »
Quote from: HankB
They were creating quite a scene and were in a very heated discussion, in Arabic, about the days events.
A pity you couldn't tape record - or better yet, film - the discussion.
I was working for DHS at the time. Y'think I wasn't on my cell phone at the time? Cheesy

BTW, as a side note, the Richardson mosque is on the opposite corner from Christian World; the Sikh temple and a Buddhist meditation center are a block down. There's also a large C of C and a large Baptist church 2 blocks over and a synagogue not far from there.

Guess who gets most of the pedestrian traffic control police support during services?

Regards,
Rabbit.
Albert Einstein

Sylvilagus Aquaticus

• friend
« Reply #8 on: October 13, 2006, 08:29:04 AM »
Here's a clue.

We call it 'burqua patrol'.

Regards,
Rabbit.
Albert Einstein

Dave

« Reply #9 on: October 14, 2006, 08:42:11 PM »
The answer to #2 is that the Saudis fund the vast majority of mosques outside majority-mislim countries.  The Richardson mosque was stung a while back when the usual vile* Wahabi materials were found in use & on display.

* Nasty, antisemetic & such like.  The sort of thing that would get a Christian church into serious hot water if found within its walls...and be given HUGE coverge.  Just think if that Phelps-creature put his thoughts on paper...
BS. The Richardson Mosque, both the original building and the expansion site were built with local contributions, not funds from overseas. The Muslim community in Richardson takes pride in that fact. As for the "vile Wahabi" materials that are so "anti-semitic", also BS. I've been in that mosque many many times and have never seen anything "wahabi" or anti-semitic inside. All in all, the Richardson mosque is about at radical as a gaggle of Lutherans, and the Imam, Dr. Kavaci, is a Turk and about as unWahabi as you can get. If you want to hate Muslims, go ahead, but don't make up paranoid fantasies in order to do it.  

Guess who gets most of the pedestrian traffic control police support during services?
The cops doing traffic control during the mosque's Friday services are off-duty and paid by the mosque to provide traffic control. They do it because services are on Friday afternoons, and traffic is much greater than on a Sunday morning.

Perd Hapley

• friend
« Reply #10 on: October 14, 2006, 09:33:05 PM »
Dave, thanks for the additional info.  But if you're going to paint a man as a hate-filled, paranoid lyer, you should provide better evidence.  

Your points don't necessarily contradict jfruser.  He said, "the Richardson mosque was stung a while back when the usual vile Wahabi materials were found in use & on display."  Just because you didn't see it, didn't mean it wasn't there at other times.  Maybe they've cleaned up their act since then.  He also did not claim that Saudis were funding that particular mosque, he was making a statement about American mosques in general.  And even then, construction costs are only part of the picture.  Having served on a church board for a couple of years, I can tell you there are other expenses incurred by a congregation.  

It could well be that you and jfruser saw different sets of evidence, and drew a different picture.  I can't say which of you is right, but I can say that over-generalizing and assuming are not paranoid or dishonest, and jfru's post doesn't show any hatred.

Dave

« Reply #11 on: October 15, 2006, 08:21:00 PM »
Point taken fistful. My apologies to jfruser for jumping to conclusions. Chalk it up to lack of sleep at the time I was posting and a general frustration with the level of fearmongering and paranoia regarding American Muslims. In my experience, the people most frightened or worried about the loyalties of Muslims in this country are those who know the least about their Muslim neighbors and their religion. I have been regularly involved with the Richardson mosque since 1995, and have never seen any "wahabi" or antisemitic materials there, nor have I ever heard any antisemitic remarks during the Friday sermons. As for funding, all of it is local. The Richardson mosque receives no overseas support.  Despite popular belief, most mosques in the US do not receive overseas support, beyond the occasional check from individuals who happen to be visiting when a local fundraiser takes place.

Perd Hapley

• friend
« Reply #12 on: October 16, 2006, 02:57:57 AM »
You're alright, Dave.

Quote from: Dave
a general frustration with the level of fearmongering and paranoia regarding American Muslims. In my experience, the people most frightened or worried about the loyalties of Muslims in this country are those who know the least about their Muslim neighbors and their religion.
From time to time, I hear concern expressed about "anti-Muslim bigotry" or what-have-you.  I guess I must not be in a position to see it, because I don't.  I think the fear and paranoia is far less than would be expected, considering the nature of Islamic terrorism and the violent activity that has been seen by home-grown Muslims in the U.S.  I'm talking about the DC "snipers," the shooting at LAX, and I think there are two Muslim men that drove vehicles into crowds.  Reaction to such things seems non-existent.  But like I said, maybe I'm just not in a position to witness what is really going on.

ilbob

• friend
    • Bob's blog
« Reply #13 on: October 16, 2006, 03:14:55 AM »
Point taken fistful. My apologies to jfruser for jumping to conclusions. Chalk it up to lack of sleep at the time I was posting and a general frustration with the level of fearmongering and paranoia regarding American Muslims. In my experience, the people most frightened or worried about the loyalties of Muslims in this country are those who know the least about their Muslim neighbors and their religion. I have been regularly involved with the Richardson mosque since 1995, and have never seen any "wahabi" or antisemitic materials there, nor have I ever heard any antisemitic remarks during the Friday sermons. As for funding, all of it is local. The Richardson mosque receives no overseas support.  Despite popular belief, most mosques in the US do not receive overseas support, beyond the occasional check from individuals who happen to be visiting when a local fundraiser takes place.
I think the problem is that the actual demonstrated acts of terrorism by Moslem's in this country is being seriously downplayed for whatever reason. people know about it and have a general disquiet about it.

personally, i think the US government should declare any group accepting money from any of these so called charities, or giving them money, is going to be charged with treason if they are US citizens and deported if they are not. then they should actually do it.

part of the penalty ought to be confiscation of all property of those involved.
bob

Disclaimers: I am not a lawyer, cop, soldier, gunsmith, politician, plumber, electrician, or a professional practitioner of many of the other things I comment on in this forum.

roo_ster

• friend
« Reply #14 on: October 16, 2006, 10:10:59 AM »

BS. The Richardson Mosque, both the original building and the expansion site were built with local contributions, not funds from overseas. The Muslim community in Richardson takes pride in that fact. As for the "vile Wahabi" materials that are so "anti-semitic", also BS. I've been in that mosque many many times and have never seen anything "wahabi" or anti-semitic inside. All in all, the Richardson mosque is about at radical as a gaggle of Lutherans, and the Imam, Dr. Kavaci, is a Turk and about as unWahabi as you can get. If you want to hate Muslims, go ahead, but don't make up paranoid fantasies in order to do it.
Wahabi/Saudi Materials

Freedom House Center for Religious Freedom report:
Saudi Publications on Hate Ideology Invade American Mosques

(So nobody has to do any real googling, here is the CAIR crowd's response to the FHCfRF report:
CAIR and Mosque Rresponse to Freedom House Report)

Of the accounts I have read on this issue, the one I recall the best is the Freedom House Center for Religious Freedom report.  If anybody is interested in this topic, it is a good start.  Read it and the response, according to each the credibility their respective organizations have earned.

I don't go 'round just making stuff up, Dave.  There is no need, when the information is there for the googling...or gawking, if a person wants to do their data gathering in meat-space.  This is how Freedom House did their research, going to the mosques, walking through their libraries, and noting what materials were on the shelves.  Check out the (mercifully) short Methodology section in the front of the report for more detail, including where they got the idea to do it & how they did t.

A small snippet:
In order to document Saudi influence, the material for this report was gathered from a selection of more than a dozen mosques and Islamic centers in American cities, including Los Angeles, Oakland, Dallas, Houston, Chicago, Washington, and New York. In most cases, these sources are the most prominent and well-established mosques in their areas. They have libraries and publication racks for mosque-goers.
Table of Contents:
CONTENTS      
Acknowledgements      1
Methodology      2
Foreword      7
R. James Woolsey      
Introduction      11
Nina Shea      
One       Christians, Jews and Other Infidels   19
Two       Jews   29
Three     Other Muslims   34
Four     Anti-American   39
Five     Infidel Conspiracies   48
Six     Jihad Ideology   57
Seven     Suppression of Women   63
Notes      68
Bibliography      72
List of Sources      78
Appendices      80
Anyway, keeping the focus on only the Richardson Mosque, the following materials were found in the Richardson Mosque on 07DEC2003:

17. Saalakhan, Mauri. September 11th. The Truth  Will it Ever be Known? Silver
Spring, MD: The Peace and Justice Foundation, 2002. (Published in English)
Collected from Richardson Mosque, Dallas, TX, 12/07/03.

18. Aluqail, Dr. Sulaiman bin Abd Alrahman. Patriotism and its Requirements
In Light of Islamic Teachings
. Riyadh: Press Ministry, 1993. Collected from
Richardson Mosque, Dallas, TX, 12/07/03.

19. Proceeding of the First Annual Symposium of the Institute of Islamic and Arabic
Sciences in America
. Fairfax, Virginia: Institute of Islamic and Arabic Sciences in
America Research Center, 1993. (Published in English) Collected from Richardson
Mosque, Dallas, TX, 12/07/03.

20. Bin Baz, Sheik Abdul Aziz. Critique of Arab Nationalism In Light Of Islam and
Reality
. Riyadh: The General Presidency for Managing Research and Religious
Edicts, 1991. Collected from Richardson Mosque, Dallas, TX, 12/07/03.

Folks can make their own determinations about the materials and those who use them.

I am willing to bet dollars to doughnuts that if similar materials (such as produced by Fred Phelps' Baptist Church) were found at the Baptadome (AKA, Prestonwood Baptist Church), there would be no circumspect chin-pulling and sweeping under the rug.  The condemnation would be swift and severe by both fellow sectarians and the chattering classes in general.

Saudi Funding of Mosques & Schools Outside KSA
Both Dave and I can be correct on this point.  It is pretty much indisputable that the Saudis pour beau coup petrodollars into mosques & schools in the USA & elsewhere.  It is also entirely possible that not one red cent of Saudi $$$ goes to the Richardson mosque.

Which brings us to...

Muslims in Richardson/N Texas
It is entirely possible that no Saudi dollars have funded the Richardson Mosque because the N Texas muslim community has done very well and doesn't need Saudi money.  Matter of fact, the way N Texas muslims get in trouble is by giving money to terrorist-funding muslim "charities."  Infocom Corp, The Holy Land Foundation & another I can't recall bear this out.  For those of y'all familiar with the IRA/Brit problem, think of the HLF & suchlike as a muslim Northern Irish Aid Committee (Noraid) & you'll be near the mark.

The community does itself no favors by vocally supporting those folks.  It is reminscent of the left in this country tending the flame for the likes of Rosenberg & Hiss or the jewish community arguing Pollard was railroaded.
Regards,

roo_ster

----G.K. Chesterton

Stand_watie

• friend
« Reply #15 on: October 16, 2006, 08:22:28 PM »
Dave, how would  you define the Richardson group for those of us unfamiliar with Muslim sectarian differences? That's a genuine question, not a loaded question.
Yizkor. Lo Od Pa'am

"You can have my gun when you pry it from my cold dead fingers"

"Never again"

"Malone Labe"

Dave

« Reply #16 on: October 17, 2006, 12:32:05 AM »
OK, jfruser, I've looked at the FHCRF report, and CAIR's response, and I see how you came to your thoughts on the matter. FWIW, I think the CAIR criticism of the report is pretty accurate. Sheikh Hisham Kabbani, BTW is a Sufi. Sufis can be quite hostile to Sunni and Shia groups. Islam is not a monolithic bloc, any more than Christianity is. Sufis (who are usually sunni, don't ask, it can be complicated) tend toward the "mystical" and could be compared to Charismatics or Adventists, the (mainstream) Sunnis to Catholics or mainstream protestants, and the Shia to Eastern Orthodox. Of course, this is not a perfect analogy, but it will do. It appears to me that Kabbani is trying to use the FHCRF to make some hay within internal Islamic politics. Some of the criticisms of "Wahabism" may be justified, many others are overblown, or outright false. Are there radical Muslims who think Christians and Jews are evil infidels who are not to be trusted? Yes. They are a pretty tiny minority. Just like there are Christians and Jews who think all Muslims are evil terrorists who want to kill or convert the world and who should be nuked and exterminated at first opportunity. (I believe some of these occasionally post here and on THR)

As for charities like the Holy Land Foundation, I also know some of the people who worked for that organization. I have serious doubts as to the truth of the government's claims. The fact is, that "Supporting Ter,rorism" is as vague as providing food, clothing, housing or education to children  and ophans whose parents have been arrested or accused by Israeli authorities of terrorism. Seems to me to be pretty immoral to refuse to aid the needy because of crimes their parents might have committed. Also, it is pretty chilling to think you could be accused of a crime for not vetting the relatives of someone you try to help before doing so.

Could I be wrong about HLF? Yes. I consider my opinion and informed one, but it is just that, an opinion. Do I think the government's case is weak and based on innuendo, tortured definitions of "supporting terrorism", and a desired atmosphere of doubt and suspicion of Muslims in general? Yes. Do I think people are innocent until proven guilty? Yes.

Dave, how would  you define the Richardson group for those of us unfamiliar with Muslim sectarian differences? That's a genuine question, not a loaded question.
It's pretty hard to generalize about a community made up of whites, blacks, asians, hispanics and native americans who are both American citizens (born and naturalized) and immigrants (mostly legal, but a few illegal, I'm sure) from upwards of 60 or 70 different countries. The vast majority are Sunni. (so are most Muslims worldwide) In some mosques, you will find that the organization is dominated by one ethnic group or another. This is largely due to various political and/or religious differences between the various immigrant groups, each concentrating largely on what I call "Back Home Politics" You can see a similar dynamic in Christianity, where one group in a church is unsatisfied with the theological, doctrinal, or ethnic makeup of the church, and then splits off to form it's own church. This has largely been avoided by the Muslim community in the Richardson/Dallas area. The Richardson Mosque is a lot more diverse than many mosques in the country partly because there is such a diversity of immigration in the Dallas area (both Muslim and non-Muslim) but  mostly because it avoids getting involved in petty sectarian issues and the internal "back home politics" of the various immigrant groups. Actually, it tends to push the idea that wherever you may be from, you are here now, this is home, and you need to take care of your neighbors before you take care of people thousands of miles away. The Islamic Association of North Texas which owns the mosque, concentrates on local issues, such as providing refugee services, Adult Education classes, a food bank, a free clinic, a full time school and so on. It has good relations with the neighboring churches, and is active in various interfaith groups in the Dallas area.

Kind of wordy, but I hope it gives you a better idea. IANT's website is somewhat limited, but it is http://www.iant.com/ if you want to have a look.

Perd Hapley

• friend
« Reply #17 on: October 17, 2006, 03:03:44 AM »
The fact is, that "Supporting Ter,rorism" is as vague as providing food, clothing, housing or education to children  and ophans whose parents have been arrested or accused by Israeli authorities of terrorism. Seems to me to be pretty immoral to refuse to aid the needy because of crimes their parents might have committed. Also, it is pretty chilling to think you could be accused of a crime for not vetting the relatives of someone you try to help before doing so.

Could I be wrong about HLF? Yes. I consider my opinion and informed one, but it is just that, an opinion. Do I think the government's case is weak and based on innuendo, tortured definitions of "supporting terrorism", and a desired atmosphere of doubt and suspicion of Muslims in general? Yes.
I find it chilling that various "Islamic" charities have been found to be funding for terrorism.  If these charges are true, it becomes incumbent on the donor to investigate the charity he's giving too.  

Is it your contention that the government desires an "atmosphere of doubt and suspicion of Muslims in general?"  I would have to see a lot of evidence, as it seems 180 degrees out of phase with the reality that I am seeing.

Dannyboy

• friend
« Reply #18 on: October 17, 2006, 04:50:47 AM »
Is it your contention that the government desires an "atmosphere of doubt and suspicion of Muslims in general?"  I would have to see a lot of evidence, as it seems 180 degrees out of phase with the reality that I am seeing.
That can go in the "I'm a victim" file.
Oh, Lord, please let me be as sanctimonious and self-righteous as those around me, so that I may fit in.

roo_ster

• friend
« Reply #19 on: October 17, 2006, 07:39:35 AM »
FWIW, I think the CAIR criticism of the report is pretty accurate.
I see two issues here:
1. Credibility of FH vs CAIR (ethos)
2. Content of FH & CAIR reports (logos)

CAIR does not have much credibility with me for several reasons.  First, the Council on American-Islamic Relations (CAIR), Islamic Association for Palestine (IAP), and the Holy Land Foundation for Relief & Development (HLF) have been and are linked by means of funding & personnnel.  Second, a goodly number of CAIR employees, board members, & fundraisers have been convicted, deported or indicted in absentia (due to their fleeing the USA).  CAIR's links to Hamas, by way of Ghassan Elashi, the founder of CAIR's Texas chapter, don't help.  Last, CAIR's apologies (as in "defense of") for terrorist organizations  in their own press releases drive the nail of the coffin containing CAIR's credibility (no links, just go surf CAIR's website & make up your own mind).

As to FH's credibility, I would encourage folks to take a gander at FH's Board of Trustees to see if they are a bunch of anti-muslim mouth-breathers.  You know, like Wendell Wilkie II, Tom Foley, and Mara Liasson.  rolleyes

Second, the content of the CAIR report (endorsed by several of the mosques in question), is weak, weak, weak.  FH's report was, for the most part, workman like recitation of what they found, "We saw at 's library.   was written/disseminated by the KSA and contains the following passages: ."  Conclusions were drawn, however, most were about as obvious as a board whacking you in the face:
The Center for Religious Freedom has gathered samples of over 200 such texts over the last twelve months -- all from American mosques and all spread, sponsored or otherwise generated by Saudi Arabia. They demonstrate the ongoing indoctrination of Muslims in the United States in the hostility and belligerence of Saudi Arabia$(Bs (Bhardline Wahhabi sect of Islam.

The Wahhabism that the Saudi monarchy enforces, and on which it bases its legitimacy, is shown in these documents as a fanatically bigoted, xenophobic and sometimes violent ideology.16

The publications in this study, found in some of America$(Bs (Bmost important mosques, pose a grave threat to non-Muslims and to the Muslim community itself.

The Saudis$(B t(Botalitarian doctrine of religious hatred $(H n(Bow planted in many America mosques -- is inimical to our tolerant culture, and undermines the war on terrorism by providing the intellectual foundation for a new generation of Islamic extremists.23

Wahhabi extremism is more than hate speech; it is a totalitarian ideology of hatred that can incite to violence.34 The fact that this hate ideology is being mainstreamed within our borders through the efforts of a foreign government, namely Saudi Arabia, demands our urgent attention.

A government that advocates religious intolerance and hatred violates the religious freedom and tolerance provisions of Article 18 of the Universal Declaration of Human Rights.
Compare the collection & reporting technique exhibited by FH with CAIR & the mosques':
* Ad Homenim attacks on FH & FH's writers (Section 1)
* Straw men comparisons of the cited works vs "mosque facts" (Section 2)
* Comparing the number of books FH cited to the combined total of books in hte mosque's libraries (Section 3)
* Whining that FH did not write its report about anti-muslim hatred (Section 4)
And, in gneeral, by trying to muddy up the water by confusing FH's report on Saudi lit & influence with what the average mosque-goer supposedly thinks.

Oh, heck, let's just look at CAIR's summary (no lack of jumping to conclusions, here):
After a review of the Report, background of its contributors, careful
scrutiny of its citations, and interviews with leaders of the mosques cited by
the Report, the following conclusions were reached2:
$(G T(Bhe Report uses a very small, unrepresentative sample to draw stereotypical
and encompassing conclusions.
$(G T(Bhe Report is authored by people who have in the past exhibited a lack of
understanding of Islam.
$(G T(Bhe Report uses translations provided by an institution that is known for
selectivity and bias towards Arabs and Muslims.
$(G T(Bhe Report taints a whole community about their alleged hate, without
conducting any survey of the community or speaking to their leaders.
$(G T(Bhe Report charges the Muslim community with being indoctrinated by
hate, yet the Report$(Bs (Bown selectivity and hasty generalizations could lead
to more hateful attitudes toward the Muslim community.
$(G T(Bhe Report seems to be politically motivated. The second release of the
Report, which has the title Saudi Publications on Hate Ideology Invade
American Mosques, has a disclaimer that reads, "We have made no determination
that [the] mosques endorsed any of these material cited n this report,
or were aware of their presence."3 Yet, the Report contradicts itself by making
emphatic claims that the literature represents a main source of indoctrination
in the mosques. The Report even claims that Muslims "have requested
our help in exposing Saudi extremism in the hope of freeing their communities
from ideological strangulation."4
Yeah, an organization with offices in Jordan, Khazakstan, Kyrgyzstan (anybody know how to pronounce, "Kyrgyzstan?"), and Seriba & Montenegro has no clue about Islam.

Are there radical Muslims who think Christians and Jews are evil infidels who are not to be trusted? Yes. They are a pretty tiny minority. Just like there are Christians and Jews who think all Muslims are evil terrorists who want to kill or convert the world and who should be nuked and exterminated at first opportunity. (I believe some of these occasionally post here and on THR)
Yep, both sorts exist.  Difference is, the Baptadome would run them out on a rail and tell them to take their hate-filled books with them (thus exhibiting "intolerance"...just can't win with some folks).

FWIW, having a copy of Mein Kampf or the Protocols of the Elders of Zion  or some other sort of hate-lit does not necessarily make one an anti-semite.  You gotta know one's enemies & all that.  But, it is a whole 'nuther kettle of fish when recently published hate screeds are acquired & displayed casually alongside one's copy of Left Behind and Max Lucado's latest.  

As for charities like the Holy Land Foundation, I also know some of the people who worked for that organization. I have serious doubts as to the truth of the government's claims. The fact is, that "Supporting Ter,rorism" is as vague as providing food, clothing, housing or education to children  and ophans whose parents have been arrested or accused by Israeli authorities of terrorism. Seems to me to be pretty immoral to refuse to aid the needy because of crimes their parents might have committed. Also, it is pretty chilling to think you could be accused of a crime for not vetting the relatives of someone you try to help before doing so.

Could I be wrong about HLF? Yes. I consider my opinion and informed one, but it is just that, an opinion. Do I think the government's case is weak and based on innuendo, tortured definitions of "supporting terrorism", and a desired atmosphere of doubt and suspicion of Muslims in general? Yes. Do I think people are innocent until proven guilty? Yes.
Dave, you just described the Irish Northern Aid Committee.  Providing aid to the families of captured terrorists is the same in Gaelic & Arabic...and equally immoral.  See, the terrorist organizations in question (Irish & Muslim) have pledged to take care of the families of those captured or killed while committing terrorist acts.  Any dollars that go to the care & upkeep of a terrorist's family is another dollar freed up to buy AKs, RPGs, and IED components.

Dave, why are we beating about the bush, here, with not mentioning the recipient of HLF's "charity" and instead speaking of grieving mothers & pore, starvin' children and being "accused of a crime for not vetting the relatives of someone you try to help"?  

Perhaps, because that recipient was Hamas?  "Hamas" does not pull at one's heart strings quite the way an imagined starveling or grieving widow does.

------------------

I guess the whole deal could be summed up as, "Do we belive what CAIR says or our own lyin' eyes?"
Regards,

roo_ster

----G.K. Chesterton

Perd Hapley

• friend
« Reply #20 on: October 17, 2006, 08:03:34 AM »
jfru,

If Dave never answers your vast pile of details and links, I won't hold it against him.  I'll just assume he died from exhaustion.

roo_ster

• friend
« Reply #21 on: October 17, 2006, 08:47:16 AM »
jfru,

If Dave never answers your vast pile of details and links, I won't hold it against him.  I'll just assume he died from exhaustion.
fistful:

I know what you mean.

Some issues don't lend themselves to soundbites.  Oh, yeah, it is easy to call someone a hater, fantasist, and mentally imbalanced; but rebutting such attempts to shut down debate require more than a "No I'm not!"

I could have responded in kind with some choice accusations, but I would rather use fact than invective, snark, or non sequitur.
Regards,

roo_ster

----G.K. Chesterton

Dave

« Reply #22 on: October 18, 2006, 05:58:39 AM »
f Dave never answers your vast pile of details and links, I won't hold it against him.  I'll just assume he died from exhaustion.
Yes, I probably would. I do have a job, family, and a life in general outside of the internet, so I really don't think I can go thruogh this pile point by point, nor do I think there would be much practical value in doing so. I do have a few comments however.

Yeah, an organization with offices in Jordan, Khazakstan, Kyrgyzstan (anybody know how to pronounce, "Kyrgyzstan?"), and Seriba & Montenegro has no clue about Islam.
Having offices in a few countries where the predominant religion is Islam does in and of itself mean that an organization understands that religion, or even local culture, nor does "having a clue about Islam" mean that an organization does not have a political or cultural agenda.

Quote from: jfruser
Are there radical Muslims who think Christians and Jews are evil infidels who are not to be trusted? Yes. They are a pretty tiny minority. Just like there are Christians and Jews who think all Muslims are evil terrorists who want to kill or convert the world and who should be nuked and exterminated at first opportunity. (I believe some of these occasionally post here and on THR)
Yep, both sorts exist.  Difference is, the Baptadome would run them out on a rail and tell them to take their hate-filled books with them (thus exhibiting "intolerance"...just can't win with some folks).
It appears that you are implying that a mosque like the one in Richardson would NOT run them out, which is untrue. Richardson has run such people out. It doesn't happen very often, because in reality such people are a small minority. Do they exist in some mosques somewhere? Probably. Just like those folks run out of the Baptadome find a place in some churches. But then again, why has Pat Robertson not been "run out on a rail"? He has made many inflammatory comments, calling Muslims "worse than Nazis" and "Satanic", Hindus "demonic" Methodists and Episcopalians "The spirit of the AntiChrist", and has advocated nuclear terrorist attack on the Federal Government, saying "What we need is for somebody to place a small nuke at Foggy Bottom". Yet I do not recall him ever being run out of a church. Every religion has it's share of intolerant loonies, but to take them as representative of all or even most of the followers of that faith is ludicrous.

Providing aid to the families of captured terrorists is the same in Gaelic & Arabic...and equally immoral.
Sorry, I don't recall Jesus asking people about their parents political affiliations before feeding the hungry, clothing the naked, or healing the sick. Would you advocate that the children of convicted or even just accused murderers or rapists should be allowed to starve or be prevented from attending public school? I don't think children are guilty of the crimes of their parents, nor do I think they should be punished for them.

Some issues don't lend themselves to soundbites.  Oh, yeah, it is easy to call someone a hater, fantasist, and mentally imbalanced; but rebutting such attempts to shut down debate require more than a "No I'm not!"

I could have responded in kind with some choice accusations, but I would rather use fact than invective, snark, or non sequitur.
Well, what can I say? I apologized for saying that you wanted to hate Muslims or were making up paranoid fantasies. I jumped to conclusions because I 've seen so much propaganda and outright lies about Muslims on forums like this one that I spoke (typed?) too hastily, for which I apologize again. I am NOT however, trying to "shut down debate", if that is what you are saying. I actually want to open debate.  I do think you may be falling for anti-Muslim propaganda, just like some well intentioned people fall for anti-gun propaganda from the Brady Campaign or the VPC. Most people in the US have no clue about Islam, and much of the information they do have is incomplete, distorted, or flat out wrong. Unfortunately, Fear of the Other is a common human trait, whether the "Other" happens to be a Jew, a Christian, A Muslim, or a Gun Owner and his handgun or EBR. If you want to learn about guns and gun owners, for example, you can find many different sources, your neighbor who owns a gun, the Brady Campaign or VPC, the NRA, the JFPO, White Supremacist groups (Who tend to believe in the 2nd Amendment, if not most of the others), or places that intentionally misrepresent themselves in order to forward an agenda like the huntersandshooters.org. All of these sources will give you VERY different answers to your questions.

Despite what many people believe, American Muslims are not a fifth column, nor are the thousands of mosques in this country seething hotbeds of Islamic radicalism. Are there some Muslims who are hateful and fit the stereotype? Unfortunately, yes, but to say that such people are representative of the 5 to 8 million Muslims in the US is like saying that the Westboro Baptist Church is representative of American Christians. I know a lot of Muslims, and I can't think of one that is a "Radical Islamist". I do know some whose opinions i don't agree with or that I find distasteful, but the same applies to Christians and Jews and Atheists I know.

roo_ster

• friend
« Reply #23 on: October 18, 2006, 09:24:15 AM »
Having offices in a few countries where the predominant religion is Islam does in and of itself mean that an organization understands that religion, or even local culture, nor does "having a clue about Islam" mean that an organization does not have a political or cultural agenda.
True.  It was a bit in jest.  

I guess that I have heard so many wet noodles in the West say things like, "If only we would work at understanding them, we wouldn't be in conflict" ("them," being whomever we currently have problems with), that I hardly take the "understanding" argument seriously anymore.  Also, when used by enemies/opponents/etc., I see it as a cheap debating point. "You obviously don't understand XYZ."  

Understanding an opponent is no assurance that we will come to sing Kumbaya and obviate the need for 5.56mm therapy.  Also, understanding of an enemy is not necessary when their actions are inimical to America's interests.  Helpful?  Maybe.  Necessary?  Nope.

It appears that you are implying that a mosque like the one in Richardson would NOT run them out, which is untrue. Richardson has run such people out.
I can not testify to the inner workings of the RM.  I can, however, see support for folks convicted of violating our laws against selling terrorist-supporting countries certain technologies and providing monies to terrorist organizations.  

To be more specific, vocal support in the N Texas muslim community for guys convicted of selling tech to Syria & Libya and providing dollars to Hamas.

That sort of thing just doesn't happen in ignorance and by accident.  I have worked with foreign countries and have a good idea what sort of things can and can't be transferred.  It ain't rocket science and going ahead and sending tech & monies to places/organizations like the jokers listed ought to be prosecuted.

But then again, why has Pat Robertson not been "run out on a rail"?
Pat owns his own church & TV station.  If I ran him out of his church/studio, I would be guilty of trespassing & assault.  Then again, PR is considered bat-shinola crazy by most Christians, including yours truly.

Providing aid to the families of captured terrorists is the same in Gaelic & Arabic...and equally immoral.
Sorry, I don't recall Jesus asking people about their parents political affiliations before feeding the hungry, clothing the naked, or healing the sick. Would you advocate that the children of convicted or even just accused murderers or rapists should be allowed to starve or be prevented from attending public school? I don't think children are guilty of the crimes of their parents, nor do I think they should be punished for them.
Wasn't someone writing about propaganda?  I detect some Pallywood propaganda.  How about a few doctored visuals to go with the text?  Folks in need in the ME can get our dollars without giving those dollars to a terrorist organization, Hamas.  Giving money to a terrorist organization is illegal and immoral, period.  

Part of the argument against breaking the law is the effect it might have on one's family.  Giving assurance to some tango that the wife & kids will be squared away so that he can kill without worry is a poor message to send.  It is subsidizing bad behavior the same way providing more dollars for every kid a single mom on welfare births.

If the family of some tango receives aid via some generalized effort, well, so be it.  Giving money to a terrorist organization specifically to square them away is subsidizing terror.

I am NOT however, trying to "shut down debate", if that is what you are saying. I actually want to open debate.  I do think you may be falling for anti-Muslim propaganda, just like some well intentioned people fall for anti-gun propaganda from the Brady Campaign or the VPC.
What is most damaging to the Ameircan & N Texas muslim communitys' image is not what some loopy fruit like Pat Robertson might say.  (The only time I hear what PR says is when he steps on his generative member and it is broadcast in the main stream media.)  What is most damaging is what the communities do and say.  When the community shows support for Hamas and argues that prosecuting dirty SOBs that sell tech to terrorist-supporting nations, the rest of us take note and think, "Hmmmm..."

Holding a local shindig for the Ayatolla Kohmeni and say how wonderful a guy he was is another way to get the rest of us thinking more than, "Hmmmmm." (Note: NOT sponsored by the Richardson Mosque...but CAIR participated)

Ignorance Is Bliss
I can get along with just about anybody, even the prickliest of personalities.  That has often been my primary assignment on some business trips: feather unruffling.  Thing is, most muslims I have gotten to know are codial, genial folks; both in work and school; citizen & non.  Not prickly at all.  Like most other folks, if you spend a good amount of time on a project or whatnot, other topics come up: family, friends, German cars, guns, computers, etc.  Well, an awfully large proportion of those genial folks are anti-semites.  Oh, nobody has come out wearing a sign reading, "Will kill Jews for Falafel" (Mmmm, falafel!), but let slip some criticism of Israeli policy or America's foreign policy prorities & who knows what will pop out of the personable, likable, and educated muslim you are sharing time with.

The effect (on me) is similar to seeing a pretty girl using gutter language or lighting up a smoke.  I liked them better before I knew this about them.  I was reminded of this a while back when reading a local newsman, Rod Dreher:
...We know, as a matter of reason, that not all Muslims in this country support, either actively or passively, the Islamists. We want to be fair. But we also can't help noticing that there is something about Islam that inspires violence. Not all Muslims are terrorists, but nowadays, virtually all terrorists are Muslims. Why are we so reluctant to talk openly about this, and to work hard to learn what is actually believed and taught at American mosques? I mentioned earlier that I'd sat through a presentation to the DMN editorial board by Sayyid Syeed, the head of the Islamic Society of North America, in which he went on and on about peace, love, tolerance and understanding, saying all the right things. But when I brought up the facts of the radical sentiments represented on the ISNA board, he did not deny any of it, only shook his finger (literally) at me and likened me to a Nazi for daring to notice. Absent verification, I literally disbelieve any peace-love-and-understanding assertion from an American Muslim leader. I wish I didn't feel compelled to be so suspicious, but prudence requires it.

Another story: I had a pleasant lunch a few months ago here in Dallas with a longtime local Muslim leader who had been quite critical of my writing. He was cordial, even likable. Neither one of us gave an inch, but we had a fair and polite exchange. Then, at the end of the lunch, in response to my questions, he calmly revealed that he believed suicide bombing of Israelis was morally acceptable, that Muslim men have the right to beat their women, that homosexuals should be executed and adulteresses murdered. "You call it violence," he said. "We call it deterrence." And I thought: how many people, meeting this well-dressed, very polite and even friendly man, would suspect that he believes in this kind of violence as part of his religious commitment?
Pretty much my reaction, too.  If I were a blissninny, I would wish I still remained ignorant.
Regards,

roo_ster

----G.K. Chesterton