Author Topic: Reducing 'Law Dog's' workload ? 80 MPH limit in Texas! Whoo Hoo!!  (Read 2033 times)

erik the bold

• friend
  • Bite my shiney metal....
http://articles.news.aol.com/news/_a/cant-drive-55-west-texas-welcomes-you/20061015092709990005

FORT HANCOCK, Tex. (Oct. 15) -- Just past Mile Marker 61, heading east on Interstate 10, the steady roar of accelerating vehicle engines booms across the vast West Texas landscape.

There, amid creosote bushes, mesquite trees and the occasional cactus, is a heavy-footed drivers dream  a road sign declaring a speed limit of 80 miles per hour that coincides with entry into bucolic Hudspeth County.

State officials approved the new speed limit in May, making it the highest legal limit in the United States. The old speed limit had been 75 m.p.h., said Carlos Lopez, director of traffic operations for the Texas Department of Transportation.      

The 80 m.p.h. zone extends east on Interstate 10 from the El Paso County line, through Hudspeth County and beyond.

In all, it includes 521 miles of highway in parts of 10 counties, Mr. Lopez said, splitting off at the junction with Interstate 20 east of Kent and continuing toward Monahans and on Interstate 20 into Kerr County.

The limit is an ideal fit for Texas, a state that prides itself on being larger than life.

You can now get places in a more legal fashion, said Mike Mossman of Fort Hancock. In Texas, we measure distances by hours rather than miles.

The new speed limit does not apply to big trucks, which have a limit of 70 m.p.h. during the day. The speed limit at night is 65 m.p.h. statewide.

Most drivers had already been driving above the old 75 m.p.h. limit, Mr. Lopez said. You get a safer highway when people are driving in more uniformed speeds, he added.

Not all Texans are happy with the higher speed limit. Before it took effect, the Hudspeth County commissioners passed a resolution opposing the change, and the county judge, Becky Dean-Walker, complained that the new speed limit was too dangerous.

Whats next? 85? Ms. Dean-Walker asked. Theyll keep going.

She also said the new speed limit was a burden on the county. Most of Hudspeth County, which has a population of 3,295 and an area of 4,572 square miles, is served by a volunteer ambulance service. The judge said she was concerned that the ambulance service would be overburdened by an increase in highway accidents.

Were a poor county, Ms. Dean-Walker said. We cant keep enough volunteers. Every time they jack up the speed limit it puts a terrible strain on rural counties. Five miles an hour makes a difference every time in accidents.

Here in Fort Hancock, a dusty border town of 1,713 people about 50 miles southeast of El Paso, the issue has split the local population between those who drive the new speed limit and those who do not.

Its a personal choice, said Jose G. Franco, superintendent of the Fort Hancock Independent School District. Mr. Franco said he observes a speed limit of 70 m.p.h.

I see people pass me at 80 m.p.h., and yet we hit the exit about the same time anyway by the time you slow down for semis, he said.

But the higher speed limit has been a boon for Mr. Mossman, who as the owner of a wholesale cactus and desert plant company drives some 80,000 miles a year across the Southwest.

He said the roads with the new speed zones were so remote that everyone waves at each other because they havent seen any other human in so long.

He added, Its lonely out there.

Sgt. John D. Schuller of the Hudspeth County Sheriffs Office, a Fort Hancock resident, said drivers had been obeying the new speed limit.

Theyre given a few miles over, Sergeant Schuller said. If youve got an 80-mile-an-hour speed limit and you give them two or three miles, thats 83, and then if they get all the way up to 85-plus, theyre in trouble.

Sergeant Schuller said he drove in accordance with the new speed limit, but his wife, Georgia, refused to go beyond 70 m.p.h.

She tells me to slow down, he said.

In Sierra Blanca, population 533 and the Hudspeth County seat, Tom Ellison, 81, shook his head at the mere mention of the 80 m.p.h. speed limit.

Mr. Ellison, who owns a car repair and rock polishing shop, said he used to retrieve wrecked vehicles on Interstate 10 but stopped in the late 1990s because of the morbid scenes he often encountered.

Its just too fast, Mr. Ellison said. I just dont like it. Its going to give a lot of people tickets, and accidents, too.
"Belief" is the acceptance of a hypothesis in the absence of data.
"Prejudice" is having an opinion not supported by the preponderance of the data.
"Knowledge" is only found through the accumulation and analysis of data.
The plural of anecdote is not "data"

NOTICE: Persons attempting to find a motive in this narrative will be prosecuted; persons attempting to find a moral in it will be banished; persons attempting to find a plot in it will be shot.
BY ORDER OF THE AUTHOR

Perd Hapley

• Superstar of the Internet
  • friend
  • My prepositions are on/in
Reducing 'Law Dog's' workload ? 80 MPH limit in Texas! Whoo Hoo!!
« Reply #1 on: October 16, 2006, 02:49:21 PM »
Let's all sit back and count the bodies.
"Doggies are angel babies!" -- my wife

Standing Wolf

• friend
« Reply #2 on: October 16, 2006, 02:55:19 PM »
The critical factor isn't how fast people drive, but how well.
No tyrant should ever be allowed to die of natural causes.

El Tejon

• friend
    • http://www.kirkfreemanlaw.com
« Reply #3 on: October 16, 2006, 03:23:20 PM »
From my days of driving on I-10 in Texas, speed limits are merely suggestions.Cheesy

I always hated driving early in the morning in the Hill Country around Kerrville.  The speed was self-limiting as there were always critters and fog (especially in the fall) in the roads early, however after the shooting was done it was 90 to 110 back to the hotel room.

Faster you can get around down there the better.  "Just down the road" is a 6 hour drive.  "The sun has riz, the sun has set, and we ain't out of Texas yet."

Reminds me of that British traveler's description of Texas, "miles and miles of bloody Texas".Cheesy
I do not smoke pot, wear Wookie suits, live in my mom's basement, collect unemployment checks or eat Cheetoes, therefore I am not a Ron Paul voter.

Sylvilagus Aquaticus

• friend
    • http://profiles.yahoo.com/sylvilagus
« Reply #4 on: October 16, 2006, 08:57:08 PM »
it's not speed that kills, it's differential speed. Cheesy

Where's that surplus JATO unit? I gotta go out that way later this year.

Regards,
Rabbit.
To punish me for my contempt for authority, fate made me an authority myself.
Albert Einstein

Leatherneck

• friend
« Reply #5 on: October 17, 2006, 02:30:34 AM »
"it's not speed that kills, it's differential speed."  Absolutely correct, Rabbit. Speeding tickets do little for safety; they simply enhance revenue for ever-hungry local gummint.

TC
TC
RT Refugee

280plus

• friend
  • Ever get that sinking feeling?
« Reply #6 on: October 17, 2006, 03:25:55 AM »
Heck, I do 80 all the time here on 91 and I get passed a lot! Just cause you can fit about 4000 Connecticuts into Texas don't mean you can DRIVE faster than we can. Tongue

Cheesy
Avoid cliches like the plague!

280plus

• friend
« Reply #7 on: October 17, 2006, 03:28:16 AM »
Matter of fact, if you don't like being out on some lonesome old road, head up to Boston and drive around THAT place for a few days. rolleyes

You'll be longing for Texas in no time...

Perd Hapley

• friend
« Reply #8 on: October 17, 2006, 03:36:13 AM »
280, you're confusing the Texans.  They think we ALL long for Texas, all the time.  Wierdos.  Tongue

auschip

• friend
« Reply #9 on: October 17, 2006, 03:46:40 AM »
Quote from: fistful
280, you're confusing the Texans.  They think we ALL long for Texas, all the time.  Wierdos.  Tongue
grin

(Lyle Lovett/Willis Alan Ramsey/Alison Rogers) - That's right (you're not from Texas)
You say you're not from Texas
Man as if I couldn't tell
You think you pull your boots on right
And wear your hat so well
So pardon me my laughter
'Cause I sure do understand
Even Moses got excited
When he saw the promised land
That's right you're not from Texas
But Texas wants you anyway

Perd Hapley

• friend
« Reply #10 on: October 17, 2006, 04:36:09 AM »
Lyle Lovett - exhibit A in the "Texas Has Its Flaws" category.

TarpleyG

• friend
« Reply #11 on: October 17, 2006, 04:41:43 AM »
Quote from: fistful
Let's all sit back and count the bodies.
Whatever...someone else said it...it isn't how fast but how well you drive.  Do some research on what it takes to get a DL in Germany and then look at how few accidents thay have on the Autobahn compared to here in the States.  There's a formula there that works, albeit an expensive one.

Also, it doesn't matter if you raise the posted limit to 110, people will do 120...

Greg

mfree

• friend
« Reply #12 on: October 17, 2006, 04:56:07 AM »
"Also, it doesn't matter if you raise the posted limit to 110, people will do 120..."

Oh, I will not.

My little truck tops out at just over 100 Smiley

Perd Hapley

• friend
« Reply #13 on: October 17, 2006, 05:36:28 AM »
I was just kidding, Greg.  I favor higher limits, but I don't know much about the issue.  

I don't know why so much attention is paid to freeway speeds, when it is the speed limits on other roads that are ridiculously low.  I've never owned anything but old beater vehicles with lack-luster acceleration and speed.  Nevertheless, when I just drive as I see fit, I find myself doing at least ten miles over the speed limit on most roads.  So, I'm breaking the law without even trying - that can't be right.  

I think the philosophy is wrong.  I suspect the people who determine the limits are setting them at what they feel are safe speeds, and punishing anyone who exceeds them.  Instead, they should set the limits at obviously unsafe speeds, so that one doesn't face a fine until real negligence becomes obvious.  A 25 should be a 40.  A 40 should be a 60, etc.  In addition, drivers shouldn't be encouraged to think that the speed limit is the appropriate speed for that road.  That's the way most people drive, partly because the limit is set at the reasonable, rather than the unreasonable speed.  If the limit were thought of as an actual limit, and not a guideline, we would probably drive more safely, rather than getting our speed up to a certain number, and making sure we stay somewhere around that number, rather than watching the road.

Art Eatman

• friend
« Reply #14 on: October 17, 2006, 06:36:33 AM »
It ain't the speed; it's speed "too fast for conditions".  Most western Interstates are quite safe at 100, if the driver has some clue and his tires are good.  Same as race tracks at 200, really...

Check your map:  I had no difficulty on one run from Terlingua to Denver, making the 900 miles in some twelve hours.  Alpine to Pecos through Carlsbad and on up to I-25 at Las Vegas.  I never felt like I was pushing either the car or the curves.

Ever since we got away from that silly 55mph speed limit, I'd drive from Fort Stockton to Junction on I-10, running along about 72 or 73 and be passed by many a car doing 80 to 85.

On I-75 from Lake City, Florida, on up to Chattyhoohoo, Tennessee, you see many a pack of cars running above 80.  Talking on the cell phone, putting on lipstick, drinking coffee.  Definitely a case of, "Tienes cuida'o, hombre!"

Smiley, Art
The American Indians learned what happens when you don't control immigration.

Typhoon

• friend
« Reply #15 on: October 17, 2006, 07:07:32 AM »
Quote from: Art Eatman
It ain't the speed; it's speed "too fast for conditions".  Most western Interstates are quite safe at 100, if the driver has some clue and his tires are good.  Same as race tracks at 200, really...
Agreed.  Road, skill, tires, traffic, weather, engine, and brakes, and not necessarily in that order...
To the stars!

Perd Hapley

• friend
« Reply #16 on: October 17, 2006, 07:08:06 AM »
Quote from: Art Eatman
 Definitely a case of, "Tienes cuida'o, hombre!"
"Take care, man!"?  "Watch out!"?

Art Eatman

• friend
« Reply #17 on: October 17, 2006, 03:44:55 PM »
Si, patron.  'Sta verdad.  "Take care."

Smiley, Art
The American Indians learned what happens when you don't control immigration.

Iapetus

• friend
« Reply #18 on: October 18, 2006, 09:08:07 AM »
Quote from: erik the bold
Five miles an hour makes a difference every time in accidents.
Yes - when you are supposed to be going 30.

I rather doubt many people who were killed by a car going at 80 would have survived if it had been doing 75.

Brad Johnson

• friend
  • Witty, charming, handsome, and completely insane.
« Reply #19 on: October 18, 2006, 09:33:21 AM »
They think we ALL long for Texas, all the time.
You don't!!?? What are you, French or somethin'?  Tongue

Brad
It's all about the pancakes, people.
"And he thought cops wouldn't chase... a STOLEN DONUT TRUCK???? That would be like Willie Nelson ignoring a pickup full of weed."
-HankB

280plus

• friend
« Reply #20 on: October 18, 2006, 10:32:03 AM »
All my ex's live in Texas...

Ok, not really.