Author Topic: First time in New York City  (Read 2589 times)

Hutch

• friend
First time in New York City
« on: October 18, 2006, 04:19:41 AM »
Folks, my job responsibilities have changed, and I'll be flying to NYC on a regular basis.  The first trip is a 4.5 day orientation meet/greet beginning 10/30 and lasting the week.  I'll be flying in on Sunday afternoon/evening.  At this point, my official destination(s) are 1600 block of Broadway (2 days) and the balance around 5th and 40th, near Grand Central.  I'm a technical weenie, and my usual kit includes a laptop in a rolling bag, Blackberry, etc.  I've been to and worked in the downtown areas of Atlanta, Chicago, SanFran, Philly, Minneapolis, etc., but for some reason my first trip to the Big Apple has me a bit apprehensive.

Any recommendations?  Is it Stoopid to pull my laptop in the roller?  Do I carry cash for meals and cabs?  Which airport is preferred for access to Manhattan?  Cab into the hotel, or hotel limo?

I've encountered New Yorkers before, but never on their turf.  While I have no discernible accent, some Notherners seem to believe I do, and it's usually mistaken for Texan.  Is this going to handicap me?  Most of what I have to do is establish technical credibility and influence. (I'm a consultant)  

Thanks in advance for any advice.  At this point, I'll go buy a Fodor's guide, unless someone can recommend something better.
"My limited experience does not permit me to appreciate the unquestionable wisdom of your decision"

Seems like every day, I'm forced to add to the list of people who can just kiss my hairy ass.

The Rabbi

• friend
  • "Ahh, Jeez. Not this sh*t again!"
« Reply #1 on: October 18, 2006, 05:25:58 AM »
I grew up there but left in 1980 and really havent been back.

Carry lots of cash.  Make sure to flash large wads of bills whenever you pay for something.  This impresses people.  Always stop and give beggers something.   Engage them in conversation.  They can be good sources of info.  On the subway make eye contact with everyone in your car.  Pick the meanest looking one and stare him down.  The locals have a good time doing this and will probably treat you to a beer later on.  Walk around late at night.  Central Park is a great place to do that.  You can meet some nice sensitive men at that hour.  Leave expensive looking equipment in the back of a car overnight.  Nothing will happen to it.  Or nothing much anyway.
Hope that helps.
Fight state-sponsored Islamic terrorism: Bomb France now!

Vote Libertarian: It Not Like It Matters Anyway.

HankB

• friend
« Reply #2 on: October 18, 2006, 05:49:20 AM »
I've been there on business a few times, though not lately.

There are lots of good places to get a late-night snack in Harlem. Now that Halloween is approaching, you can probably get a discount if you're in costume . . . ghostly white sheets are popular, particularly when a pointy hood is part of your regalia.

Street vendors have some of the best food - don't be put off by the aroma, it's not REALLY dried camel dung, just a special array of herbs and spices that they throw on the fire. Yummm . . .

People from other parts of the country won't believe how gun-friendly NYC is . . . just take along and "open carry" a Glock (with plenty of 33 round mags) and you'll find out firsthand. Be sure to make "oink oink" noises at anyone who approaches you wearing an "NYPD" cap or jacket to let them know you're not an Islamic terrorist.
Trump won in 2016. Democrats haven't been so offended since Republicans came along and freed their slaves.
Sometimes I wonder if the world is being run by smart people who are putting us on, or by imbeciles who really mean it. - Mark Twain
Government is a broker in pillage, and every election is a sort of advance auction in stolen goods. - H.L. Mencken
Patriotism is supporting your country all the time, and your government when it deserves it. - Mark Twain

Hutch

• friend
« Reply #3 on: October 18, 2006, 05:52:28 AM »
Oooooooookay.  Anybody else?
"My limited experience does not permit me to appreciate the unquestionable wisdom of your decision"

Seems like every day, I'm forced to add to the list of people who can just kiss my hairy ass.

Harold Tuttle

• Professor Chromedome
  • friend
« Reply #4 on: October 18, 2006, 05:54:54 AM »
don't follow the Rabbi's advise and you will be fine
Wink
its very safe in that area

what's interesting to note is the defensive cladding on all the buildings
every possible "hey i could climb up there and get to that balcony" approach is razor wired
"The true mad scientist does not make public appearances! He does not wear the "Hello, my name is.." badge!
He strikes from below like a viper or on high like a penny dropped from the tallest building around!
He only has one purpose--Do bad things to good people! Mit science! What good is science if no one gets hurt?!"

The Rabbi

• friend
  • "Ahh, Jeez. Not this sh*t again!"
« Reply #5 on: October 18, 2006, 07:26:27 AM »
Actually I am told NY is a lot safer than when I lived there.  Basically exercising basic caution, like what we always talk about in Condition Yellow etc, is good advice.
LaGuardia was always the easier airport to maneuver around in.  But maybe Newark would work OK too.  Compare fares for cab and limo.  Some cab drivers will jack their fares, meaning taking you to Manhattan via Omaha.  Get an approximate cost in advance.
I will say NY is a great place to go spend time.  You can have anything you can possibly imagine, right now.  Even if right now is 2AM.  There is always something going on.  The only downside is paying for it but for a short stay it shouldnt matter.
Fight state-sponsored Islamic terrorism: Bomb France now!

Vote Libertarian: It Not Like It Matters Anyway.

lupinus

• Southern Mod Trimutive Emeritus
  • friends
« Reply #6 on: October 18, 2006, 07:30:10 AM »
I don't much care for NYC

It has its uses but there are places I'd rather be
That is all. *expletive deleted*ck you all, eat *expletive deleted*it, and die in a fire. I have considered writing here a long parting section dedicated to each poster, but I have decided, at length, against it. *expletive deleted*ck you all and Hail Satan.

Typhoon

• friend
« Reply #7 on: October 18, 2006, 08:24:42 AM »
I have traveled to Manhattan for business a number of times.  My thoughts:

Re: Airports.  The one you choose generally depends from where you are flying.  Long haul/non-stops typically go into JFK or Newark.  (For instance, I always flew non-stop from Los Angeles.)  Short hops/connecting flights typically go into La Guardia.  Both JFK and La Guardia are in Queens (east of Manhattan) and Newark is in New Jersey (west of the Hudson River).  Although geographically, Newark is closer to Manhattan, I always preferred flying into JFK.  It can often be hard to get a cab that is willing to go into Manhattan from Newark (as New Jersey cabs are restricted from operating freely in New York) and there are more route choices available from Queens (bridges and tunnels).

Cabs from JFK operate at a flat rate into Manhattan.  $45 (plus toll and tip) to your first destination in Manhattan.  (Dont know about La Guardia).  If you are on a generous expense account, by all means hire a private car, but you generally have to make the reservation in advance, and then pay for the time if you are delayed.  What I used to do is take a cab from the airport, and then hire a car back when I had better control of my time.  Also, if you are not on an expense account and are traveling solo, you can often pick up a shared ride into Manhattan from the airport.  Saves money, and time, if the taxi queue is long.

Unless you are particularly adventurous, keep to the regular taxi queue.  You may be solicited by gypsy cab drivers at the airport, but they are not recommended.  Especially if you dont know your way around town.

As to the general safety of Manhattan, I have felt safer at night on the streets of Manhattan and Washington DC, than I have in Los Angeles and San Francisco.  (And I am a woman.)  There is generally more pedestrian traffic (the nice ones, particularly in Midtown Manhattan, where you seem to be going), and there is more of a police presence.

There is really nothing unique about New York re: safety.  As mentioned above, act there as you would in any large city.  Condition Yellow and all the rest.  But there is no compelling reason to go overboard.  Put the laptop in the roller bag.

As for credibility, I wouldnt worry.  Manhattan is pretty diversified, so as long as you know your stuff, you should be fine.

LOTS of terrific restaurants where you are going.  Lots to do after hours, too.  Enjoy!
To the stars!

mtnbkr

• friend
« Reply #8 on: October 18, 2006, 08:34:47 AM »
Actually I am told NY is a lot safer than when I lived there.  Basically exercising basic caution, like what we always talk about in Condition Yellow etc, is good advice.
My wife, daughter, and I took a short vacation to NYC last summer because I had never been before.  I've got to say we never felt unsafe, nor were we exposed to the stereotypical rude New Yorker.  In fact, at one point, I was looking around to get my bearings so we could find some landmark we wanted to visit and a guy in a suit stopped and asked if we needed directions.  You don't get that even in medium sized Southern towns anymore.  All in all, it was a very pleasant trip (other than driving through Manhattan to get to our hotel).

Can't offer much on cabs, we only took one, the rest of the time we walked or took the subway, but mostly walked.  

Chris

280plus

• friend
  • Ever get that sinking feeling?
« Reply #9 on: October 18, 2006, 09:46:19 AM »
I used to drive my old employer's van to work down into Manhattan. Don't let NYC put you off. The NYC folk are just like any other people you will ever meet. They are all very friendly, especially if they know you work in the city. And that includes Harlem. IMHO the BEST way to get around down there is to walk. So if you could arrange your stay place near to your workplace you will be ahead of the game. Find out how to take the train from the airport into the city. I can't tell you anything about rolling your weenie cart down the street. You'll figure that out soon enough. I hear it's ok to buy the cheap watches but they only last about three months. Get a map and check it all out beforehand, that way if you DO get in a taxi you'll maybe have an idea of how far it should be. Actually, in terms of driving in that gawd awful traffic the taxi drivers are quite polite and let you in and out of the lanes to get around the double parked cars. So I've never had a beef with them. There is nothing like NYC on a busy day, there is also nothing like it on a quiet Sunday morning. BTW, there is an AWESOME BBQ place off on a side street right near Times Square. All the sign says is BBQ. I suggest you go and hang out at Times Square some Saturday just before Christmas. Lean up against the Toy's Are Us building and watch the world go by.  It's very easy to get around NYC because it is a grid. The WTC used to be an excellent landmark, all you had to do was look up, locate the WTC and you could tell right where you were in the city. You can go to the tip of Manhattan to Battery Park and see the globe that used to sit in the plaza between the towers.

Oh, don't wander around looking upwards at the buildings with your mouth agape. That's a sure sign of a noob. Take the little tour buses, You'll learn a lot about NYC in just a little time, although that IS considered a noob thing too. Cheesy
Avoid cliches like the plague!

Vodka7

• friend
« Reply #10 on: October 18, 2006, 10:02:56 AM »
I moved from NYC to Philly recently, and I can honestly say that I felt a lot safer in the vast majority of Manhattan, Queens, and Brooklyn at all hours of the night than I do here.  Of course, my only experience in the city was during the late 90's and this decade--my father was there on business constantly during the dark ages of the 70's and especially the 80's, and says the difference (especially in Times Square) is absolutely unbelievable.  The areas you mentioned are incredibly commercialized, and you will be not be hassled at all, except by the guys handing out flyers for strip clubs and sample sales.

NYC has the best public transportation system in the country--24/7 access by bus and subway to anywhere you could possibly want to go.  (Unless maybe you want to go to Staten Island, but don't worry about that, because you don't.  Even people who live in State Island don't want to go there.)

BTW--the one thing I don't agree with 280plus is getting to the city from the airport.  If your business is comping it, just take a taxi; the air shuttle and switching in Flatbush (or is it Jamaica?) is a pain.  But I strongly agree with him that you should get a laminated pocket map and an unlimited weekly metro pass.  Also, the BBQ place he's referring to is most likely Virgil's, and I heartily second his recommendation.  They have one of the best beer lists you've ever seen.

If you're going to have a lot of walking around time, check out Wall Street, the Village, Tribecca, Soho, 33rd, 42nd, Times Square, Lexington around the upper 50's, and Central Park.  If you only go to one famous restaurant while you're there, skip the tourist trap that is Tavern on the Green and go to DeNiro's joint, the Tribecca Grill, especially if you're a wine drinker.  The wine list comes out in a huge binder, and IIRC correctly their collection is rated four or five stars by Wine Spectator.  If you like Chinese food, skip the crowds of China Town and take the 7 to Main St in Queens.  You can't go wrong with Joe's Shanghai (try the steamed pork soup dumplings, but poke a hole in them with a chopstick and let them breathe for a minute.  One of the wait staff's favorite hobbies is waiting for a white guy to shove a 400 degree dumpling in his mouth.)

Edited to add answers to some questions you actually asked Smiley

The rolling bag isn't a bad idea, although usually only women use them.  If you're walking at all, even the most comfortable shoulder bag will seriously leave a dent in your shoulder.  If at all possible, just keep it in the hotel room or at the office.  As for cash, you'll only need it on the street--even the vending metro card machines take plastic (something I sorely miss here.)  And EVERYONE in New York has some kind of accent, so don't sweat that.

charby

• Necromancer
  • Administrator
  • APS's Resident Sikh/Muslim
« Reply #11 on: October 18, 2006, 10:15:57 AM »
You could switch to a backpack laptop carrier. Most the faculty where I work that travel alot have switched from the rolling cart to a backpack.

-C
Iowa- 88% more livable that the rest of the US

Uranus is a gas giant.

Team 444: Member# 536

280plus

• friend
« Reply #12 on: October 18, 2006, 10:27:15 AM »
Yea, I was wondering about the train airport thing after I closed, I also used to go there by train and I think it's the best way to get in and out of the city. I can't remember the name of the BBQ joint but I remember thinking how surreal it was to be getting such good BBQ in the heart of Manhattan. Cheesy

Fly320s

• friend
  • Formerly, Arthur, King of the Britons
« Reply #13 on: October 18, 2006, 10:28:02 AM »
Hutch,

I was based in JFK for five years with my airline.  I commuted in and out via Laguardia, primarily, so I'll give you my info on the airports and transportation.

LGA is most convenient to Manhattan.  It is closer than JFK and has more options to get to Manhattan.  All three airports have public transportation that will get you to downtown, eventually, but private transport (including cabs and buses) is easier.

LGA:  Lots of choices.  Listed easiest to hardest (and mostly more expensive to cheapest)

1. Car service.  These are the Lincoln Town Cars that you will see everywhere.  Some are actually new and nice while others are just barely road-worthy.  Call ahead for a reservation or call from the airport.  The on-demand car services, such as Kew Cab, are the less nice ones.  About $40 to the city + tolls both ways.  Have cash, some won't take credit.  Check with your hotel to see if they have an agreement with a service.

1a. Shared ride (Super Shuttle).  They are available at both airports, but I haven't used them.

2. Yellow cab.  Walk out to the curb and grab one.  The cabs are well regulated at the airport, make sure you stand in the que to get one; don't flag one down.  Ask the attendant about flat rates; I don't know them.  If it is not a flat rate, you could pay more than a car service if traffic is bad.

3. New York Airport shuttle.  It is a charter size bus that runs every half hour (mostly) and drops at several locations in the city, including Grand Central.  It is $15 one way (IIRC) flat fee.  You can buy one way or RT, and you can schedule from your hotel's concierge when you want to leave, but I would recommend taking a car service to the airport for departure.

4. Public transport.  Don't bother.  You'll have to drag your bags onto a bus which will take you to the subway.  Yeah, it's cheap ($2 each)but it will take you one to two hours.  The buses and subways are not user friendly if you are dragging lots of luggage.

JFK:

Same options, mostly.  The public transport at JFK is slightly better because you will take the AirTrain to the subway which is slightly easier than a public bus, but the AirTrain costs $5 each way.

Overall prices will be a few dollars more as JFK is slightly farther from the city.  JFK-LGA is about 6 miles.

EWR:

Same basic options, but public transport is the way to go unless you have lots of luggage.  You will take the airport train (free) to the PATH train ($21 one way, IIRC).  You can buy your ticket at the airport or train station.  It's easy to follow the overhead signs to the train station and then to the right track.  This is a full-size train, not a subway.  During rush hour, traffic is heavy and you may not find a seat.  The train drops at Penn Station.   It's pretty easy, but not as easy as a car service.  Tolls are higher from the NJ side for some reason, I think.

Going to the airport:

Arrange with your hotel to get a car service or shared ride set-up.  It is the easiest and most guaranteed way to get to the airport on time.

Good luck.
Islamic sex dolls.  Do they blow themselves up?

Vodka7

• friend
« Reply #14 on: October 18, 2006, 12:16:50 PM »
Man 280, I've been thinking about their trainwreck fries and pulled pork sandwiches all day now Smiley  Mmmmm, mustard cole slaw and pork......

Here's the website: http://www.virgilsbbq.com/

Perd Hapley

• Superstar of the Internet
  • friend
  • My prepositions are on/in
« Reply #15 on: October 18, 2006, 12:55:16 PM »
Are there any attractions in NYC that are gun-related?
"Doggies are angel babies!" -- my wife

280plus

• friend
« Reply #16 on: October 18, 2006, 12:55:28 PM »
LOL...sorry about that!

Cheesy

280plus

• friend
« Reply #17 on: October 18, 2006, 12:56:50 PM »
Wouldn't you know it? Here we are touting how nice NYC is and today the MAYOR'S car got carjacked. shocked

Whoopsy... Tongue

Iain

• friend
« Reply #18 on: October 18, 2006, 01:08:15 PM »
Quote from: fistful
Just outside the UN there is a big sculpture I believe.
I do not like, when with me play, and I think that you also

Hutch

• friend
« Reply #19 on: October 18, 2006, 03:06:23 PM »
You folks are great.  Thanks so much.  I don't frequent this forum too often, but I'll try to post "Live from New York".  If I carry this off well, I'll be a regular visitor.

Ron

« Reply #20 on: October 18, 2006, 03:23:48 PM »
Have a good trip and good luck!!

Standing Wolf

• friend
« Reply #21 on: October 18, 2006, 03:49:31 PM »
I'll revisit New York, last visited in 1974 or thereabouts, when it recognizes my Colorado permit to carry concealed hand guns; until then, New York can do without my vacation dollars.
No tyrant should ever be allowed to die of natural causes.

280plus

• friend
« Reply #22 on: October 19, 2006, 01:07:24 AM »
Oh, if you are uh, crazy enough to try driving in the city NEVER creep ahead of the white lines at the intersections while you're waiting to go on. If you might not make it through stay behind the lines or you'll get stuck in the middle at the light change and suffer the wrath of many a gesticulating horn blower in the crossing traffic. It is actually a ticketable offense in the city. The square created around the intersections by the white lines is refered to as "the box" and the rule is "Don't block the box". So don't croos the lines until you KNOW you have enough room to get through the box. Driving down there is quite a challenge at first but once you get the hang of it, it's not so bad. But I can tell you why they put the jumbotron on the building at Times Square. It's so when you are hopelessly stuck in traffic and not going anywhere for a while, at least you can watch TV. Tongue

Stay out of "Lindy's" I think I paid $11.95 for two eggs, toast and coffee there. There's at least a couple of them around too. Apparently famous people use to go there back in the 30's so they think they can still command that kind of a price for plain old food which actually sucked now that I'm thinking about it again.

Perd Hapley

• Superstar of the Internet
  • friend
  • My prepositions are on/in
« Reply #23 on: October 19, 2006, 03:09:49 AM »
Quote from: Iain
Quote from: fistful
Just outside the UN there is a big sculpture I believe.
Perfect British dry humor.  Very nice!

280, you need to give that lecture in Saint Louis.  Peeps be blocking the box on the regular.
"Doggies are angel babies!" -- my wife

280plus

• friend
« Reply #24 on: October 19, 2006, 03:20:38 AM »
Oh, you haven't lived unless you've done that in NYC. They don't take kindly to that at all. shocked

You learn quick though! Cheesy

Sometimes the traffic is literally bumper to bumper, door handle to door handle and then there's millions of pedestrians who don't take kindly to you blocking the walkway either and just to top it off you've got these insane people on bikes squeezing THEIR way through the whole mess. They'll push your sideview out of the way to get by. I had a taxi push me forward one time as he turned out into a space in the lane next to me. He waved and smiled as he passed by. There was no catching him. I've seen them drive on the sidewalk to get around stopped traffic. The place really is kind of insane. How can you not love it? Tongue

Cars DO tend to get a little dinged up in NYC, it goes with the territory.