Author Topic: New Yorker magazine "Osama Obama" cover--Wow!  (Read 15157 times)

MicroBalrog

• friend
Re: New Yorker magazine "Osama Obama" cover--Wow!
« Reply #50 on: July 17, 2008, 09:30:39 AM »
I will certainly agree that ending the New Deal and recapturing liberty is vital.  I think you're wrong to ignore the threat of modern terrorism.  I would say that both are equally important.  It doesn't matter how many liberties you've regained if you die because your government wasn't willing or able to protect you from foreign attack.

The problem is, we are not moving to end the New Deal. We've allowed people like the neoconservatives (I don't mean the bogeyman of crazy leftist here, but the actual political denomination) to take prominent positions in the conservative movement.

It's not a 'walk before you run' question, because we are not walking. We're moving in the wrong direction.

Further, terrorists committed attacks in major American cities long before 9/11, they just got really lucky in that one. THey will also continue to commit these attacks. There is no emergency.
Destroy The Enemy in Hand-to-Hand Combat.

"...tradition and custom becomes intertwined and are a strong coercion which directs the society upon fixed lines, and strangles liberty. " ~ William Graham Sumner

Manedwolf

• friend
« Reply #51 on: July 17, 2008, 09:35:46 AM »
Further, terrorists committed attacks in major American cities long before 9/11, they just got really lucky in that one. THey will also continue to commit these attacks. There is no emergency.

Not if we destroy them.

MicroBalrog

• friend
« Reply #52 on: July 17, 2008, 09:37:47 AM »

Not if we destroy them.

Destroy whom? Al-Quaeda?

After you kill every last emmeber of AQ and affiliated group, other such group will spring up.

If a bunch of dissatisfied, semi-literate, sexually-insecure goatheards is enough to cause Americans to curl up and cry emergency, then there's ALWAYS going to be an emergency.

"...tradition and custom becomes intertwined and are a strong coercion which directs the society upon fixed lines, and strangles liberty. " ~ William Graham Sumner

Manedwolf

• friend
« Reply #53 on: July 17, 2008, 09:42:12 AM »

Not if we destroy them.

Destroy whom? Al-Quaeda?

After you kill every last emmeber of AQ and affiliated group, other such group will spring up.

And you keep destroying them, just as the British entirely wiped out the Thugee cult.

If they're found to be operating in an area, you drop leaflets that citizens have a day to get out. Then you level that town to rubble.

Curiously, the terrorists won't find many havens soon.

Fight a WAR, or give up. We've been screwing around for seven years, afraid of offending people who want to destroy us. At this point, Western civilization and all that it has accomplished in the last two millennia are at stake.

MicroBalrog

• friend
« Reply #54 on: July 17, 2008, 09:45:10 AM »
I ask you again.

What specific conditions need to be accomplished for the "emergency" to be over?

America will ALWAYS have enemies. There will not be a perfect world with sunshine and unicorns, EVER.

When do we cancel the emergency and get our freedom back?

Manedwolf

• friend
« Reply #55 on: July 17, 2008, 09:46:28 AM »
I ask you again.

What specific conditions need to be accomplished for the "emergency" to be over?

America will ALWAYS have enemies. There will not be a perfect world with sunshine and unicorns, EVER.

When do we cancel the emergency and get our freedom back?

We didn't seem to have such "emergencies" back when we reacted to any such threat with overwhelming and devastating force until it was destroyed or surrendered unconditionally.

I was always taught that if someone tries to get into a fight with you, shoving you, don't shove back, just hit them as hard as you can and end it right there. We're just shoving and being shoved.

There will never be bunnies and unicorns, no. But there can be a world in which nobody DARES touch any US interests, because they know the cruise missiles will level every last bit of their interests within hours.

Are we a superpower, the last remaining superpower? We sure as hell don't act like it.

MicroBalrog

• friend
« Reply #56 on: July 17, 2008, 09:50:51 AM »

We didn't seem to have such "emergencies" back when we reacted to any such threat with overwhelming and devastating force until it was destroyed or surrendered unconditionally.

That's very well and true. But here's what we (the West, not just America) did now:

We enacted a whole bunch of 'anti-terrorist' laws - under different names in various countries, variously expanding surveillance.

We expanded 'security' in airports (TSA is particularly known for its, uh, habits).

At least in some countries, we got to the point where candidates are evaluated almost SOLELY on their foreign/security policy (q.v. McCain, q.v. the Israeli leadership). This means stifling debate and reform on other issues.

I do not think there is an emergency currently that justifies this.

longeyes

• friend
« Reply #57 on: July 17, 2008, 10:01:18 AM »
And you keep destroying them, just as the British entirely wiped out the Thugee cult.

If they're found to be operating in an area, you drop leaflets that citizens have a day to get out. Then you level that town to rubble.

Curiously, the terrorists won't find many havens soon.

Fight a WAR, or give up. We've been screwing around for seven years, afraid of offending people who want to destroy us. At this point, Western civilization and all that it has accomplished in the last two millennia are at stake.

+10
"Domari nolo."

Thug: What you lookin' at old man?
Walt Kowalski: Ever notice how you come across somebody once in a while you shouldn't have messed with? That's me.

Molon Labe.

De Selby

• friend
« Reply #58 on: July 17, 2008, 10:08:12 AM »
How Ironic:

-The thugee cult was likely an invention of the British to justify a crackdown on dissidents; that is the historical consensus at this point.  So it's interesting that it's cited in this case, where terrorism is rapidly becoming a justification for all sorts of stuff unrelated to violence.

-The Russians did the whole leveling villages thing in Afghanistan.  Check out how that turned out for them.

-Refusing to insult people's religious beliefs or to kill them on the basis of being the same religion as a terrorist is not political correctness-it's called basic human decency.
"Human existence being an hallucination containing in itself the secondary hallucinations of day and night (the latter an insanitary condition of the atmosphere due to accretions of black air) it ill becomes any man of sense to be concerned at the illusory approach of the supreme hallucination known as death."

Manedwolf

• friend
« Reply #59 on: July 17, 2008, 10:31:25 AM »
How Ironic:

-The thugee cult was likely an invention of the British to justify a crackdown on dissidents; that is the historical consensus at this point.

Not among anyone but revisionist liberal professors.

You know, I just realized, you haven't defended the Mongol Horde yet. When are you going to get to excusing them or claiming they were an invented threat?

De Selby

• friend
« Reply #60 on: July 17, 2008, 10:44:13 AM »
How Ironic:

-The thugee cult was likely an invention of the British to justify a crackdown on dissidents; that is the historical consensus at this point.

Not among anyone but revisionist liberal professors.

You know, I just realized, you haven't defended the Mongol Horde yet. When are you going to get to excusing them or claiming they were an invented threat?

Really...who is it that's defending the existence of the thugee cult as historical fact?

"Human existence being an hallucination containing in itself the secondary hallucinations of day and night (the latter an insanitary condition of the atmosphere due to accretions of black air) it ill becomes any man of sense to be concerned at the illusory approach of the supreme hallucination known as death."

El Tejon

• friend
    • http://www.kirkfreemanlaw.com
« Reply #61 on: July 17, 2008, 10:48:25 AM »
Very ironic as the Chinese refer to themselves as China person.

June Gwa Yen, Cantonese for person from China, China person.
I do not smoke pot, wear Wookie suits, live in my mom's basement, collect unemployment checks or eat Cheetoes, therefore I am not a Ron Paul voter.

seeker_two

• friend
  • In short, most intelligence is false.
« Reply #62 on: July 17, 2008, 01:03:44 PM »
When you have a bee in the room, running around in a panic and hiding doesn't prevent you from being stung.....swatting the bee into bug juice and then going back to your regular daily life works much better....

...right now, we're still in the panic mode.....and we haven't hit the bee hard enough to stop stinging.
Impressed yet befogged, they grasped at his vivid leading phrases, seeing only their surface meaning, and missing the deeper current of his thought.

PremiumSauces

« Reply #63 on: July 20, 2008, 09:34:49 AM »
I find Micro Balrog's arguments and information to be very persuasive. 

alan2

« Reply #64 on: July 20, 2008, 12:00:44 PM »
Mrs. Obama sort of resembles Angela Davis, at least as my memory serves.

RocketMan

• Mad Rocket Scientist
  • friend
  • Semper Fidelis
« Reply #65 on: July 20, 2008, 12:02:25 PM »

Aside from any resemblance, I'll bet they have a similar political outlook.
If there really was intelligent life on other planets, we'd be sending them foreign aid.

Conservatives see George Orwell's "1984" as a cautionary tale.  Progressives view it as a "how to" manual.

My wife often says to me, "You are evil and must be destroyed." She may be right.

Liberals believe one should never let reason, logic and facts get in the way of a good emotional argument.

roo_ster

• Kakistocracy--It's What's For Dinner.
  • friend
  • Hoist the black flag, and begin slitting throats
« Reply #66 on: July 20, 2008, 06:38:01 PM »

[easily_offended]Oh, they all look the same you you?!?![/easily_offended]
Regards,

roo_ster

“Fallacies do not cease to be fallacies because they become fashions.”
----G.K. Chesterton

Manedwolf

• friend
« Reply #67 on: July 21, 2008, 04:24:34 AM »
"The New Yorker's Washington correspondent has been denied a press place on Barack Obama's tour of the Middle East and Europe after the magazine depicted the presidential candidate as a terrorist on its cover.

The Obama camp said there was not enough room on the aircraft but the move is being seen as a snub to the magazine.

The vindictiveness of liberals. Backstabbing politics right out of high school.

http://www.guardian.co.uk/world/2008/jul/21/usa