Author Topic: So I saw the polls today  (Read 14782 times)

Sergeant Bob

• friend
Re: So I saw the polls today
« Reply #25 on: August 31, 2008, 07:08:46 AM »
My ideal candidate would likely be a frankensteinian creation of parts from Ron Paul, Ralph Nader, Thomas Jefferson, and James Madison

Remove Nader. Add Kucinich?, and I'm with you.

Just an observation but, if you consider yourself to be "extreme right wing" in your country, then the left must be somewhere to the west of Fidel Castro.
Personally, I do not understand how a bunch of people demanding a bigger govt can call themselves anarchist.
I meet lots of folks like this, claim to be anarchist but really they're just liberals with pierced genitals. - gunsmith

I already have canned butter, buying more. Canned blueberries, some pancake making dry goods and the end of the world is gonna be delicious.  -French G

longeyes

• friend
« Reply #26 on: August 31, 2008, 07:19:41 AM »
Is America going to put Bill Ayers' buddyboy into the White House?

Really?

I think they don't, but if they do, by a squeaker, we can look forward to the most tumultuous first term in American history.  I'd keep the Praetorian Guard on alert and keep them well bribed.
"Domari nolo."

Thug: What you lookin' at old man?
Walt Kowalski: Ever notice how you come across somebody once in a while you shouldn't have messed with? That's me.

Molon Labe.

xavier fremboe

• friends
  • All-American Meanie
    • The Shop
« Reply #27 on: August 31, 2008, 08:38:08 AM »
My ideal candidate would likely be a frankensteinian creation of parts from Ron Paul, Ralph Nader, Thomas Jefferson, and James Madison

What part of Kucinich are you going to use in making your Superpresident?
If the bandersnatch seems even mildly frumious, best to shun it.  Really. http://www.cctplastics.com

roo_ster

• Kakistocracy--It's What's For Dinner.
  • friend
  • Hoist the black flag, and begin slitting throats
« Reply #28 on: August 31, 2008, 10:44:37 AM »

What part of Kucinich are you going to use in making your Superpresident?

His wife's looks, height, and fashion sense.
Regards,

roo_ster

“Fallacies do not cease to be fallacies because they become fashions.”
----G.K. Chesterton

roo_ster

• friend
« Reply #29 on: August 31, 2008, 10:45:36 AM »
I read a column yesterday titled, "Palin: The Libertarian Candidate for Vice President."
Regards,

roo_ster

----G.K. Chesterton

Manedwolf

• friend
« Reply #30 on: August 31, 2008, 10:48:36 AM »
I read a column yesterday titled, "Palin: The Libertarian Candidate for Vice President."

That's because she is. In terms of the sense of well-adjusted and self-reliant people.

Not freaks in wookie suits.

Matthew Carberry

• Formerly carebear
  • friend
  • Fiat justitia, pereat mundus
« Reply #31 on: August 31, 2008, 01:20:29 PM »
I don't think it is the hard-core Hillary supporters she'll sway, but the moderate Dem women in the heartland.

Most folks are in the center and she's not a bad fit.  Setting aside her qualifications, much of politics in reality is how the silent majority of moderates view you.  I think this is how she'd play in the Rust Belt where McCain has some glaring weaknesses.

Her husband is a union man in one of the few remaining American heavy industries, yet she took on the "profiteers" and bosses in Alaska.  Got money back to her citizens to help with heating costs.

She has one house in her home town and a fish camp, not any sort of mansion(s).

Played high school sports in a small town, just like their daughters.

She's diverse in that her husband is an AK Native (partly), but that's not scary if they harbor any hidden concerns about race.

Husband is a "man's man" and not bad looking.  Not an effete city boy.

Her family hunts, their families hunt.

She is a small town girl, they are small town folks.

PTA and hockey mom who makes time to do both her job and support her kids.

Boy is in the Army, like their boys.

A beauty queen (what a slam to use against her  rolleyes ) but in effect the "Corn Queen" of Wasilla, AK.

She's pro-life, but not in a strident way and she showed the courage of her convictions in having her kids, especially Trig.  Most pro-choice "common folks" are, quite rightly, conflicted about it on some level.  The "safe, legal and rare" types are the most common and Obama has gone well beyond that in documented voting.  If other moms don't see her as forcing daughters to keep rape babies, I don't think she'll turn them off much.

She's an ID proponant, but her "flavor" hasn't been defined yet and there are a lot of heartland folks who, even if they disagree, are comfortable with the position of "believe what you want, just don't force it on me".  If she can walk that line, that can be a plus for a lot of people.

She's already getting the back-handed, yet obvious, "not good enough because she's a woman" criticisms from the talking heads.  Every right thinking person hates that, especially moderate women who were partly on board with Hillary for sex reasons.

I see the numbers skewing more in her favor as she makes herself known to people (assuming she doesn't put her foot in her mouth).  Her one real "scandal" with the trooper may actually resonate more than turn folks off as they get more of the context (sticking up for family against a creep). 

Again, the swing voters are the common folks, not the idealogues and talking heads.  It's too soon to see where her polling will go.
"Not all unwise laws are unconstitutional laws, even where constitutional rights are potentially involved." - Eugene Volokh

"As for affecting your movement, your Rascal should be able to achieve the the same speeds no matter what holster rig you are wearing."

Bigjake

• friend
« Reply #32 on: August 31, 2008, 01:28:29 PM »

Remove Nader. Add Kucinich, and I'm with you.

Given the fact that you aren't from around here (Ohio, Dennis the Menace's district)  I'll forgive that comment.

K Frame

• friend
  • I Am Inimical
« Reply #33 on: August 31, 2008, 03:47:54 PM »
Resurect Ronnie and make Reaganstein.

I'll vote for him for emperor.
Carbon Monoxide, sucking the life out of idiots, 'tards, and fools since man tamed fire.

agricola

• friend
« Reply #34 on: August 31, 2008, 04:10:07 PM »
Resurect Ronnie and make Reaganstein.

I'll vote for him for emperor.

the position is already filled:

"Idiot!  A long life eating mush is best."
"Make peace, you fools"

longeyes

• friend
« Reply #35 on: August 31, 2008, 04:39:51 PM »
I don't think it is the hard-core Hillary supporters she'll sway, but the moderate Dem women in the heartland.

The dividing demographic line is married women versus unmarried.
"Domari nolo."

Thug: What you lookin' at old man?
Walt Kowalski: Ever notice how you come across somebody once in a while you shouldn't have messed with? That's me.

Molon Labe.

MechAg94

• friend
« Reply #36 on: August 31, 2008, 04:47:54 PM »
My impression of Palin was that she comes off as a normal person and not an over-educated, high brow, rich girl which will go a long way with some people.  That fact that her husband is a plant operator can't hurt either.  That is a common hourly job down here around all the chemical plants. 
“It is much more important to kill bad bills than to pass good ones.”  ― Calvin Coolidge

MechAg94

• friend
« Reply #37 on: August 31, 2008, 05:09:25 PM »
FYI,
The Rasmussen poll is reported on a 3 day rolling average so you won't see full changes until after 2 or 3 days of polling. 

The Gallup poll says it is a poll of register voters, not "likely voters" which the Ras. poll says.  I am not sure what the difference is, but it isn't the same or they would not term it that way. 

The Zogby poll says likely voters, but it also was polling from the 29th and 30th.
“It is much more important to kill bad bills than to pass good ones.”  ― Calvin Coolidge

MicroBalrog

• friend
« Reply #38 on: August 31, 2008, 06:13:07 PM »

I'd rather fight for freedom in a wookie suit than endorse slavery in a tie.
Destroy The Enemy in Hand-to-Hand Combat.

"...tradition and custom becomes intertwined and are a strong coercion which directs the society upon fixed lines, and strangles liberty. " ~ William Graham Sumner

Matthew Carberry

• Formerly carebear
  • friend
« Reply #39 on: August 31, 2008, 06:15:08 PM »

That has such a nice ring, almost Patrick Henry-ish, but so few places where it makes sense in or out of context.

"My fellow Americans..."
"Not all unwise laws are unconstitutional laws, even where constitutional rights are potentially involved." - Eugene Volokh

"As for affecting your movement, your Rascal should be able to achieve the the same speeds no matter what holster rig you are wearing."

MicroBalrog

• friend
« Reply #40 on: August 31, 2008, 06:18:00 PM »

That has such a nice ring, almost Patrick Henry-ish, but so few places where it makes sense in or out of context.

"My fellow Americans..."

...there are Klingons in the White House!

"...tradition and custom becomes intertwined and are a strong coercion which directs the society upon fixed lines, and strangles liberty. " ~ William Graham Sumner

MicroBalrog

• friend
« Reply #41 on: August 31, 2008, 06:18:42 PM »

Just an observation but, if you consider yourself to be "extreme right wing" in your country, then the left must be somewhere to the west of Fidel Castro.

I don't actually agree with Dennis' views, but I think he's an admirable person.

What, I must only respect people with whom I agree?

De Selby

• friend
« Reply #42 on: August 31, 2008, 06:24:50 PM »

I don't actually agree with Dennis' views, but I think he's an admirable person.

Actually I see him the same way: he is responsive to his bosses (the electorate in his district) without question, and he makes clear to them what his views and agenda are...without a bunch of "media savvy" aides to tell him how to shape his votes and message so that it amounts to what people want to hear, rather than being a reflection of his beliefs, so they can decide who they want to elect.

It is a good thing that he has the courage to say what he believes and not be embarrassed by the media barrages leveled against him. 
"Human existence being an hallucination containing in itself the secondary hallucinations of day and night (the latter an insanitary condition of the atmosphere due to accretions of black air) it ill becomes any man of sense to be concerned at the illusory approach of the supreme hallucination known as death."

CombatArmsUSAF

« Reply #43 on: August 31, 2008, 10:02:17 PM »
Obama came out of the DNC with a 6 point lead. With Gov Palin being announced as running mate to JM, he's down to a 4 point lead. I'd say that is a positive bump caused by McCain's choice.

The Annoyed Man

« Reply #44 on: September 01, 2008, 06:08:46 PM »
Without knowing the metrics of the polling data it is impossible to say if she has provided a bounce or deflated a bounce. It is widely known that Zogby is left leaning and Gallup is as well. Rasmussen I am not so sure of his stance. If they are using lopsided polling groups then you would see numbers as we are seeing. It will change slower toward McCain/Palin than it would toward Obama/Biden. Give it time to see. As stated before the only poll that matters is on November 4th.

Jim

Matthew Carberry

• Formerly carebear
  • friend
« Reply #45 on: September 02, 2008, 08:53:36 AM »

Actually I see him the same way: he is responsive to his bosses (the electorate in his district) without question, and he makes clear to them what his views and agenda are...without a bunch of "media savvy" aides to tell him how to shape his votes and message so that it amounts to what people want to hear, rather than being a reflection of his beliefs, so they can decide who they want to elect.

It is a good thing that he has the courage to say what he believes and not be embarrassed by the media barrages leveled against him. 

You can't mention Kucinich without mentioning his way-out-of-his-league wife.  I believe it is an internet political law.

I'd rather deal with a Dem who is upfront about their beliefs and where they differ from mine than the kind who tries to hide what he is just to get elected.

roo_ster

• friend
« Reply #46 on: September 02, 2008, 09:43:41 AM »
You can't mention Kucinich without mentioning his way-out-of-his-league wife.  I believe it is an internet political law.

And I am the only one so far to adhere to that iron- taffy-clad rule.

Matter of fact, I'll provide a photo:

Get that boy some lifts!

OK, one more:
Regards,

roo_ster

----G.K. Chesterton

Scout26

• I'm a leaf on the wind.
  • friend
  • I spent a week in that town one night....
« Reply #47 on: September 02, 2008, 09:55:04 AM »
Polls I've seen today either show McCain 2-3 points ahead or within 1% point of Obama, and there within 10 electoral votes of each other.  Palin puts several states that were thought to be leaning or solidly Dem back in play.  Hence the scramble and panic of the Dems. 

But I have to agree with TallPine that only 4 Nov poll matters.
Some days even my lucky rocketship underpants won't help.

Bring me my Broadsword and a clear understanding.
Get up to the roundhouse on the cliff-top standing.
Take women and children and bed them down.
Bless with a hard heart those that stand with me.
Bless the women and children who firm our hands.
Put our backs to the north wind.
Hold fast by the river.
Sweet memories to drive us on,
for the motherland.

Headless Thompson Gunner

• friend
« Reply #48 on: September 02, 2008, 10:03:27 AM »
FYI,
The Rasmussen poll is reported on a 3 day rolling average so you won't see full changes until after 2 or 3 days of polling. 

The Gallup poll says it is a poll of register voters, not "likely voters" which the Ras. poll says.  I am not sure what the difference is, but it isn't the same or they would not term it that way. 

The Zogby poll says likely voters, but it also was polling from the 29th and 30th.
The rolling average thing is a big deal with the Rasmussen polls.  It gives their polls a bigger sampling size, which presumably makes them more accurate.  On the other hand, it means that their data always has a little bit of lag time, and their results don't reflect recent changes in the race quickly.  The Rasmussen data is just now beginning to show the impact of Obama's convention.  Palin and the Republican convention aren't present in their data yet.

The difference between registered voters and likely voters is also a big deal.  Most of the population is registered to vote, and thus is counted in "registered voters" polls.  However, only about half of the population actually votes.  Actual voters tend to look at politics differently than the general population.  You'll get slightly different, and slightly more accurate IMO, poll results if you limit your sample to people who are likely to vote.

In my experience, Zogby and Rasmussen tend to be the most consistently accurate polling outfits.  Just be sure to read the fine print and understand each ones limitations. 

Keep an eye on the Rasmussen data in over the next few days.  If it begins to confirm the Zogby results, then you'll know something has really changed.  Also keep an eye on the polls next week.  Convention "bounces" tend to appear in the data on the weekend and the week after the convention.

freedom lover

• resident high school student
  • "Who is the Coon?"
« Reply #49 on: September 02, 2008, 11:43:20 AM »
Emporer Hill= BARF... REVOLUTION!!!!!
Emporer Reagan= Revolution.

I would fight either to the death. I don't like monarchs.