Author Topic: consequences in georgia  (Read 14997 times)

cassandra and sara's daddy

• friends
consequences in georgia
« on: May 31, 2011, 05:14:12 PM »
It is much more powerful to seek Truth for one's self.  Seeing and hearing that others seem to have found it can be a motivation.  With me, I was drawn because of much error and bad judgment on my part. Confronting one's own errors and bad judgment is a very life altering situation.  Confronting the errors and bad judgment of others is usually hypocrisy.

by someone older and wiser than I

AJ Dual

• friends
  • Shoe Ballistics Inc.
Re: consequences in georgia
« Reply #1 on: May 31, 2011, 05:41:44 PM »
Hmm. Seems to me that Georgia needs to institute a "workfare" reform to their welfare system.

I've always held that any strict enforcement of illegal immigration law and protection of our borders should be followed with forcing our own domestic underclass back into the labor market.

Also, every time a particular crop was thought to be "unharvestable" by anything but human hands, a machine came along sooner or later...  =)

I promise not to duck.

mtnbkr

• friend
« Reply #2 on: May 31, 2011, 08:39:56 PM »
$12.50/hour?  That's not bad pay for unskilled labor.  I doubt they'll have any problems getting laborers.  You get two people in a household making that kind of money and you could live decently in the rural South.

Chris

White Horseradish

• friend
« Reply #3 on: May 31, 2011, 09:06:57 PM »
$12.50/hour?  That's not bad pay for unskilled labor.  I doubt they'll have any problems getting laborers.  You get two people in a household making that kind of money and you could live decently in the rural South.

Chris
I lived on less than that.
Political tags - such as royalist, communist, democrat, populist, fascist, liberal, conservative, and so forth - are never basic criteria. The human race divides politically into those who want people to be controlled and those who have no such desire.

Robert A Heinlein

Boomhauer

• Former Moderator, fired for embezzlement and abuse of power
  • friends
« Reply #4 on: May 31, 2011, 10:34:52 PM »

Chris

*expletive deleted*it, that's $5.25 per hour more than I make, that's good money.

Quote from: Ben
Holy hell. It's like giving a loaded gun to a chimpanzee...

Quote from: bluestarlizzard
the last thing you need is rabies. You're already angry enough as it is.

OTOH, there wouldn't be a tweeker left in Georgia...

Quote from: Balog
BLOOD FOR THE BLOOD GOD! SKULLS FOR THE SKULL THRONE! AND THROW SOME STEAK ON THE GRILL!

red headed stranger

• friend
« Reply #5 on: May 31, 2011, 10:58:32 PM »

Chris

Yep, and if they doubled that wage, Onions, Watermelon, and Corn would still be plenty affordable.  The idea that illegal labor is the only thing keeping us from unaffordable food is a ridiculous canard.   
Those who learn from history are doomed to watch others repeat it

Monkeyleg

• friend
  • Tattaglia is a pimp.
    • http://www.gunshopfinder.com
« Reply #6 on: May 31, 2011, 11:19:33 PM »
My wife works at a sawmill. The semi truck drivers make $13, and they have CDL's and years of experience.

• friends
« Reply #7 on: June 01, 2011, 06:57:32 AM »
Charles Hall, executive director of the Georgia Fruit and Vegetable Growers Association, said he has been in close contact with Labor Commissioner Mark Butler and Agricultural Commissioner Gary Black about the shortage, calling it the most severe he has seen.

Hall said it’s possible state officials could hold job fairs to steer some of Georgia’s unemployed workers to these farm jobs, which pay $12.50 an hour on average. The state’s unemployment rate is now at 9.9 percent.

Farmers, however, say they often have little luck recruiting Georgia residents to work in their fields because it is temporary, hot and physically demanding. To recruit more workers, some farmers are offering signing bonuses, Hall said

to quote the kid (32) who no showed yesterday for work with me. "anyone would wanna get paid for doing nothing!" as his rationale for milking unemployment.  hes sadly representative of too many today
It is much more powerful to seek Truth for one's self.  Seeing and hearing that others seem to have found it can be a motivation.  With me, I was drawn because of much error and bad judgment on my part. Confronting one's own errors and bad judgment is a very life altering situation.  Confronting the errors and bad judgment of others is usually hypocrisy.

mtnbkr

• friend
« Reply #8 on: June 01, 2011, 08:04:36 AM »
I spent my summers in college working as a laborer for the County's Parks and Rec dept.  That was temporary, hot, and physically demanding work.  I made less than $8/hour and worked 40hrs a week with some weekend shifts.  When I lived in TN, a popular job for teens was helping farmers harvest hay.  Again, temporary, hot, and physically demanding.

If I could support my family, I'd gladly do that kind of work again today.  Once I left the field, my day would be over, unlike today. :mad:

Chris

Jamisjockey

• Booze-fueled paragon of pointless cruelty and wanton sadism
  • friend
  • Your mom sends me care packages
« Reply #9 on: June 01, 2011, 08:43:24 AM »

to quote the kid (32) who no showed yesterday for work with me. "anyone would wanna get paid for doing nothing!" as his rationale for milking unemployment.  hes sadly representative of too many today

Herein lies the problem. We can't be serious about stopping the invasion when our own unskilled workers can eat and live for free. 

The jobs are there, we are giving them away to illegals and then subsidizing our own poor to vote.  Pathetic.
JD

The price of a lottery ticket seems to be the maximum most folks are willing to risk toward the dream of becoming a one-percenter. “Robert Hollis”

HankB

• friend
« Reply #10 on: June 01, 2011, 08:51:12 AM »
I've always held that any strict enforcement of illegal immigration law and protection of our borders should be followed with forcing our own domestic underclass back into the labor market.
Public assistance of ANY sort should be contingent on being available for work - even if it's day labor, able bodied welfare/food stamp/etc. recipients should be required to report to a work center for 8 hrs a day, and go out on any job that comes up, with only genuine disability or old age being an excuse. (Being drunk, too fat, a druggie, or just plain lazy is NOT a genuine disability. And a disability seldom precludes ALL types of work.)
Trump won in 2016. Democrats haven't been so offended since Republicans came along and freed their slaves.
Sometimes I wonder if the world is being run by smart people who are putting us on, or by imbeciles who really mean it. - Mark Twain
Government is a broker in pillage, and every election is a sort of advance auction in stolen goods. - H.L. Mencken
Patriotism is supporting your country all the time, and your government when it deserves it. - Mark Twain

Boomhauer

• Former Moderator, fired for embezzlement and abuse of power
  • friends
« Reply #11 on: June 01, 2011, 10:26:11 AM »

My own goddamn sister is dating a *expletive deleted*ing loser like that. Not worked in 5 months now. She's constantly driving him around and such (he blew his money on a "hot rod"...i.e., a shitty '80s Pontiac Trans Am), paying for his meals when they eat out...he just sits on his ass at home, doing not a damn thing except play video games all day long...he was working at Dollar General, was offered assistent manager, turned it down. Offered a job at UPS, turned it down. Offered jobs elsewhere...too damn lazy to take them. He won't even come down to our house to visit because he's afraid Dad will put him to work if he does.

My idiot sister is talking about marrying him.

Quote from: Ben
Holy hell. It's like giving a loaded gun to a chimpanzee...

Quote from: bluestarlizzard
the last thing you need is rabies. You're already angry enough as it is.

OTOH, there wouldn't be a tweeker left in Georgia...

Quote from: Balog
BLOOD FOR THE BLOOD GOD! SKULLS FOR THE SKULL THRONE! AND THROW SOME STEAK ON THE GRILL!

roo_ster

• Kakistocracy--It's What's For Dinner.
  • friend
  • Hoist the black flag, and begin slitting throats
« Reply #12 on: June 01, 2011, 11:23:25 AM »

I made less than that in inflation-adjusted dollars in the late 1990s during summer breaks for high school & college working much more dangerous jobs.   

Yep, and if they doubled that wage, Onions, Watermelon, and Corn would still be plenty affordable.  The idea that illegal labor is the only thing keeping us from unaffordable food is a ridiculous canard.   

Yep.  The seasonal labor portion of the retail price is danged small.
Regards,

roo_ster

“Fallacies do not cease to be fallacies because they become fashions.”
----G.K. Chesterton

• friends
« Reply #13 on: June 01, 2011, 12:51:54 PM »
i'm afraid to see the kid that no showed for fear i'll break his face.  his wife is coming over tomorrow to work off the cash i gave him for his sons birthday party

KD5NRH

• friends
  • I'm too sexy for you people.
« Reply #14 on: June 01, 2011, 03:45:27 PM »
i'm afraid to see the kid that no showed for fear i'll break his face.  his wife is coming over tomorrow to work off the cash i gave him for his sons birthday party

If it's even remotely a "real job,"  (i.e. not just cash under the table) make sure to report it to the unemployment folks.  Turning down paying work without a really good excuse is one of the few ways to lose unemployment in some places.

• friends
« Reply #15 on: June 01, 2011, 04:42:56 PM »
its cash and he wore out his unemployment months ago.

roo_ster

• Kakistocracy--It's What's For Dinner.
  • friend
  • Hoist the black flag, and begin slitting throats
« Reply #16 on: June 01, 2011, 04:48:05 PM »
its cash and he wore out his unemployment months ago.

If it were me in that situation, I'd risk an *expletive deleted*ss-whoopin' to make some cash.  Maybe even pay back folks I owe. 
Regards,

roo_ster

“Fallacies do not cease to be fallacies because they become fashions.”
----G.K. Chesterton

• friends
« Reply #17 on: June 01, 2011, 04:49:35 PM »
thats because you are a man  junior is not so encumbered i would have given up a long time ago except for his kids and his wife who has terrible taste in men but i've known since she was 5

• friends
« Reply #18 on: June 01, 2011, 04:51:39 PM »
he was hired for an electricians job that woulda paid 6 figures had to miss out because no drivers  license.  from not paying a 75 dollar fine then getting caught driving on suspended.  hes also on one of the new "dope substitute" drugs.  a real waste of money and time they are

KD5NRH

• friends
« Reply #19 on: June 01, 2011, 06:27:34 PM »
his wife who has terrible taste in men but i've known since she was 5

That should have been a hint.   :P

Azrael256

• friend
« Reply #20 on: June 01, 2011, 08:07:40 PM »
pay $12.50 an hour on average

TWELVE-FIFTY AN HOUR?!?!?!  Seriously?!?!

I could've put myself through college on that!

You guys are seriously telling me that I could've been making that kind of money with a decent work ethic and the ability to dig holes?  I turned about six bucks an hour back then!

Somebody please go back to 2003 and tell past me that.

KD5NRH

• friends
« Reply #21 on: June 01, 2011, 11:01:44 PM »
You guys are seriously telling me that I could've been making that kind of money with a decent work ethic and the ability to dig holes?  I turned about six bucks an hour back then!

One of the best hourly jobs in town for a non-college-grad starts at $11.60/hr.  A lot of skilled labor here is in the $9.25-11.25 range.

• friends
« Reply #22 on: June 02, 2011, 09:09:12 AM »
and yet there is a shortage of round eye high sunblock number workers.   you figure it out  in a state with 9 percent unemployment

MechAg94

• friend
« Reply #23 on: June 02, 2011, 09:35:11 AM »
One of the best hourly jobs in town for a non-college-grad starts at $11.60/hr.  A lot of skilled labor here is in the $9.25-11.25 range.
That may be still higher than the average rate in my home town.  I used to make $3.35/hr when I was in high school.  Anything approaching 6 or 8 bucks would have been great.  Even better if it was not all year.  It would give me an excuse to not do it ALL the time.

I used to work with an instrument technician that said when he was younger, he and friends would work turnarounds at the chemical plants around here 7 days a week/12 hours a day for 3 or 4 months then go run around the country doing sailing competitions.  He said he could work the Spring and afford to take off all summer.  Now days, people don't even want to work temporary jobs.
“It is much more important to kill bad bills than to pass good ones.”  ― Calvin Coolidge

RaspberrySurprise

• friend
  • Yub yub Commander
« Reply #24 on: June 02, 2011, 12:41:57 PM »

Chris

I make less than that as a minor supervisor at my job.
Look, tiny text!