Author Topic: Rand Paul vs. TSA  (Read 14780 times)

seeker_two

• friend
  • In short, most intelligence is false.
Rand Paul vs. TSA
« on: January 23, 2012, 10:59:22 AM »
Impressed yet befogged, they grasped at his vivid leading phrases, seeing only their surface meaning, and missing the deeper current of his thought.

RevDisk

• friend
    • RevDisk.net
Re: Rand Paul vs. TSA
« Reply #1 on: January 23, 2012, 11:12:49 AM »

Please tell me they went all "I am the law" with appropriate Stallone accent. 
"Rev, your picture is in my King James Bible, where Paul talks about "inventors of evil."  Yes, I know you'll take that as a compliment."  - Fistful, possibly highest compliment I've ever received.

Blakenzy

• friend
« Reply #2 on: January 23, 2012, 11:15:23 AM »

"Hey, that *anomaly* is God-given. If you want to pat it down, you'll have to at least buy me dinner first"
"Knowledge will forever govern ignorance, and a people who mean to be their own governors, must arm themselves with the power knowledge gives. A popular government without popular information or the means of acquiring it, is but a prologue to a farce or a tragedy or perhaps both"

roo_ster

• Kakistocracy--It's What's For Dinner.
  • friend
  • Hoist the black flag, and begin slitting throats
« Reply #3 on: January 23, 2012, 11:51:32 AM »
"Hey, that *anomaly* is God-given. If you want to pat it down, you'll have to at least buy me dinner first"

"Normally, I have to pay for that kind of treatment."
Regards,

roo_ster

“Fallacies do not cease to be fallacies because they become fashions.”
----G.K. Chesterton

Jamie B

• friend
  • I am Abynormal
« Reply #4 on: January 23, 2012, 01:56:23 PM »
Or be a Catholic priest...........
Greatness lies not in being strong, but in the right use of strength - Henry Ward Beecher

The Almighty tells me He can get me out of this mess, but He’s pretty sure you’re f**ked! - Stephen

Harold Tuttle

• Professor Chromedome
  • friend
« Reply #5 on: January 23, 2012, 04:18:36 PM »
Thou shalt not detain congressmen on route to Washington dc
"The true mad scientist does not make public appearances! He does not wear the "Hello, my name is.." badge!
He strikes from below like a viper or on high like a penny dropped from the tallest building around!
He only has one purpose--Do bad things to good people! Mit science! What good is science if no one gets hurt?!"

cassandra and sara's daddy

• friends
« Reply #6 on: January 23, 2012, 04:20:53 PM »
though shalt not afford them special privilege. hes gonna drive? take the train? bus?
It is much more powerful to seek Truth for one's self.  Seeing and hearing that others seem to have found it can be a motivation.  With me, I was drawn because of much error and bad judgment on my part. Confronting one's own errors and bad judgment is a very life altering situation.  Confronting the errors and bad judgment of others is usually hypocrisy.

by someone older and wiser than I

MechAg94

• friend
« Reply #7 on: January 23, 2012, 04:48:39 PM »
He is being interviewed on Hannity's radio show right now.  He is not saying he expects any special priviledge necessarily.  Few points:
1.  He has been told the machine beeps randomly not just when it sees something so they are doing random searches. 
2.  The people at the airports are given no discretion whatsoever in following policies.  There should be someone there who has some discretion with these policies.  The completely blind approach to this is foolish.
3.  He said that you already have to take off your shoes, remove metal and other stuff, along with other requirements.  If you comply with all that, you should be rewarded with not getting a pat down, not be subjected to additional random searches. 

He interviews very well and comes off very reasonable.  I like him.

Not one mention of abolishing the Fed.   :lol:
“It is much more important to kill bad bills than to pass good ones.”  ― Calvin Coolidge

• friends
« Reply #8 on: January 23, 2012, 04:53:32 PM »
so what should they do if the machine goes off? let him pass?  why? or why just him
It is much more powerful to seek Truth for one's self.  Seeing and hearing that others seem to have found it can be a motivation.  With me, I was drawn because of much error and bad judgment on my part. Confronting one's own errors and bad judgment is a very life altering situation.  Confronting the errors and bad judgment of others is usually hypocrisy.

Perd Hapley

• Superstar of the Internet
  • friend
  • My prepositions are on/in
« Reply #9 on: January 23, 2012, 04:55:11 PM »
though shalt not afford them special privilege. hes gonna drive? take the train? bus?

The constitution exempts them from arrest, in some situations, because the English used to have Parliamentary opponents arrested in (or on the way to) session.
"Doggies are angel babies!" -- my wife

• friends
« Reply #10 on: January 23, 2012, 05:17:15 PM »
paul wasn't arrested just wasn't afforded special privilege of boarding without passing security

Fly320s

• friend
  • Formerly, Arthur, King of the Britons
« Reply #11 on: January 23, 2012, 05:21:59 PM »
paul wasn't arrested just wasn't afforded special privilege of boarding without passing security

I agree with C&SD.  Make the congress-critters go through the same crap everyone else goes through.
Islamic sex dolls.  Do they blow themselves up?

Tallpine

• friends
  • Grumpy Old Grandpa
« Reply #12 on: January 23, 2012, 05:29:30 PM »
Either their nude-o-scans are registering false positives or they are generating them for the purpose of harassing / feeling people  :mad:
Freedom is a heavy load, a great and strange burden for the spirit to undertake. It is not easy. It is not a gift given, but a choice made, and the choice may be a hard one. The road goes upward toward the light; but the laden traveller may never reach the end of it.  - Ursula Le Guin

De Selby

• friend
« Reply #13 on: January 23, 2012, 05:38:50 PM »
If this act of protest helps change the system for all of us, it's a good thing.  More congressmen going through the treatment might effect some results.
"Human existence being an hallucination containing in itself the secondary hallucinations of day and night (the latter an insanitary condition of the atmosphere due to accretions of black air) it ill becomes any man of sense to be concerned at the illusory approach of the supreme hallucination known as death."

red headed stranger

• friend
« Reply #14 on: January 23, 2012, 05:48:39 PM »
If this act of protest helps change the system for all of us, it's a good thing.  More congressmen going through the treatment might effect some results.

Agreed. In his statements, Rand Paul was advocating getting rid of this ridiculous procedure for all people.  Not just Senators/Congresspeople. 

Lets face it, a sitting US senator is one of the few individuals who has a sufficient enough bully pulpit to do this and get some attention. 
Those who learn from history are doomed to watch others repeat it

Fitz

• Face-melter
  • friend
  • Floyd Rose is my homeboy
    • My Book
« Reply #15 on: January 23, 2012, 05:54:15 PM »
As stated above, he thinks its ridiculous for EVERYONE, not just him.

Also, he's flying commercial air, is he?

I like that. Some senators use private jets.
Fitz

---------------
I have reached a conclusion regarding every member of this forum.
I no longer respect any of you. I hope the following offends you as much as this thread has offended me:
You are all awful people. I mean this *expletive deleted*ing seriously.

-MicroBalrog

erictank

• friends
« Reply #16 on: January 23, 2012, 06:41:17 PM »
As stated above, he thinks its ridiculous for EVERYONE, not just him.

Also, he's flying commercial air, is he?

I like that. Some senators use private jets.

Not surprising that Rand Paul gets it.

He was willing to be re-scanned, according to the article I read, in order to clear the "random selection for perp-frisk" buzzer.  Team Sexual Assault refused, and stated that they were determined to grope him.  He left the checkpoint accompanied by actual LEOs, though not under arrest (IOW, SOP for failure to pass the Nude-O-Scopes and refusal to be groped). Good on him for taking a stand!

Me, I'd be the other way 'round. I'm not going through the Nude-O-Scope, not even the millimeter-wave radar one Paul went through rather than the ionizing-radiation backscatter-xray version that's more common nationally.  You get perp-frisked anyways if the machine goes beep for any reason, or if Team Sexual Assault decides they don't like your attitude or whatever - so they can just get it over with out in public right up front, and I'll make it as uncomfortable for them as they do for me.  A karate-chop to the testicles will be regarded as assault, and result in an immediate, vocal call for the nearest actual law-enforcement officer, as it should, and complaints will be filed both online and in person as a result of TSA's policies regardless of whether or not the screener plays the "Respect mah authori-TAH!" card, as so many of them sadly seem to do.

Of course, that's only if I absolutely HAVE to fly. I recommend against exposing oneself to such unpleasantness and idiocy as TSA deems "security", myself, unless you simply MUST fly. I'll fly again when we get ACTUAL security in the airports, as opposed to the pointless and counterproductive security theater TSA is foisting on us.

Jamisjockey

• Booze-fueled paragon of pointless cruelty and wanton sadism
  • friend
  • Your mom sends me care packages
« Reply #17 on: January 23, 2012, 06:48:24 PM »

Actually the language forbids government officials from detaining them or interfering with their travel on the way to congress.  His detention was unconstitutional. 
JD

The price of a lottery ticket seems to be the maximum most folks are willing to risk toward the dream of becoming a one-percenter. “Robert Hollis”

RoadKingLarry

• friends
« Reply #18 on: January 23, 2012, 07:49:21 PM »
Not that he flies commercial but I wonder how it would have played out if it had been Harry Reid instead of some filthy conservative/libertarian prole like Rand Paul.
If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude better than the animating contest of freedom, go home from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or your arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains set lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that you were our countrymen.

Samuel Adams

RocketMan

• Mad Rocket Scientist
  • friend
  • Semper Fidelis
« Reply #19 on: January 23, 2012, 08:21:27 PM »

That wasn't the situation, C&SD.  He objected to the pat down that was to follow the random "failure" of the machine.  He offered to be rescanned, but the Thousands Standing Around refused and insisted on performing a pat down.  Re-read the story.
If there really was intelligent life on other planets, we'd be sending them foreign aid.

Conservatives see George Orwell's "1984" as a cautionary tale.  Progressives view it as a "how to" manual.

My wife often says to me, "You are evil and must be destroyed." She may be right.

Liberals believe one should never let reason, logic and facts get in the way of a good emotional argument.

seeker_two

• friend
  • In short, most intelligence is false.
« Reply #20 on: January 23, 2012, 08:34:16 PM »
so what should they do if the machine goes off? let him pass?  why? or why just him

Because, though scumbags in their own right, the chances of a member of the Senate hijacking an airplane is hovering at about nil.....
Impressed yet befogged, they grasped at his vivid leading phrases, seeing only their surface meaning, and missing the deeper current of his thought.

MicroBalrog

• friend
« Reply #21 on: January 23, 2012, 09:14:09 PM »
So... piss off a guy responsible for setting your budget for the next year. Real smart move.
Destroy The Enemy in Hand-to-Hand Combat.

"...tradition and custom becomes intertwined and are a strong coercion which directs the society upon fixed lines, and strangles liberty. " ~ William Graham Sumner

MechAg94

• friend
« Reply #22 on: January 23, 2012, 09:42:55 PM »
Actually the language forbids government officials from detaining them or interfering with their travel on the way to congress.  His detention was unconstitutional.  
He was on his way to a speaking engagement (which he missed), not Congress.  

If there is any special privilege, it was that he is able to make headlines when it happens to him and gets a chance to sell his viewpoint.
“It is much more important to kill bad bills than to pass good ones.”  ― Calvin Coolidge

Perd Hapley

• Superstar of the Internet
  • friend
  • My prepositions are on/in
« Reply #23 on: January 23, 2012, 10:21:32 PM »

Didn't say he was arrested. Just explaining what Harold Tuttle was talking about.
"Doggies are angel babies!" -- my wife

• friends
« Reply #24 on: January 24, 2012, 09:30:31 AM »
That wasn't the situation, C&SD.  He objected to the pat down that was to follow the random "failure" of the machine.  He offered to be rescanned, but the Thousands Standing Around refused and insisted on performing a pat down.  Re-read the story.

they say they found an annomaly
their sop is to examine further
as a congressman you believe hoe should be exempt?  do you feel all congressmen are exempt?  or just your pet congressman?