Author Topic: State of the Union Address  (Read 2662 times)

dm1333

• friend
State of the Union Address
« on: January 24, 2012, 10:19:24 PM »
Meh.  What are your thoughts?  My first was that somebody must have been flashing the applause sign at every brief pause.

longeyes

• friend
Re: State of the Union Address
« Reply #1 on: January 24, 2012, 10:29:04 PM »
When men who should and often do know better stand to applaud lies, not once, but many times, we are in deep, deep trouble.
"Domari nolo."

Thug: What you lookin' at old man?
Walt Kowalski: Ever notice how you come across somebody once in a while you shouldn't have messed with? That's me.

Molon Labe.

dm1333

• friend
« Reply #2 on: January 24, 2012, 11:04:06 PM »
There were one or two things I agreed with, mainly when he talked about energy or education.  But I also don't think that he'll follow through on any of it.  My "meh" was directed at how flat I thought the speech was.  For a person who is a great speech giver this was below average.

At least I didn't have to see Nancy Pelosi doing her imitation of a jack in the box, popping up every so often to start applauding.   :laugh:

Mitch Daniels did a pretty good job with his speech.

slingshot

• friend
« Reply #3 on: January 24, 2012, 11:25:29 PM »
He said many things that I agree with conceptually.  History has shown that when getting from the words to the deed, we are miles apart.

This was a political speech.  Oh gee, what a surprise?  But this was the first big speech that Obama has made where he is trying to verbally move to the middle versus the left (opps, I mean progressive) leaning way of leading and governing.  He will chant these words over and over again for the next year.  He will seem to be representing everyone or the middle.  But he aint. 

Energy development....  he nixed the Keystone pipeline.  He is catering to environmentalists that are primarily left leaning.
It shall be as it was in the past... Not with dreams, but with strength and with courage... Shall a nation be molded to last. (The Plainsman, 1936)

gunsmith

• I forgot to get vaccinated!
  • friend
  • I'm sorry, Dave. I'm afraid I can't do that.
« Reply #4 on: January 25, 2012, 02:07:30 AM »

Energy development....  he nixed the Keystone pipeline.  He is catering to environmentalists that are primarily left leaning.
This.

I live off grid and rely on solar, his minions at solyndra trashed a buch of good solar components.
I have to drive long distances for about any errand, the pipeline might have reduced the price of gas a bit.
( plus I've met a lot of pipeline workers here in northern NV, they're all awesome)

I had to stop watching the durned speech because my yelling was upsetting the dogs, whose feelings I care a lot more about then the cretins. I'm pretty angry.
Politicians and bureaucrats are considered productive if they swarm the populace like a plague of locust, devouring all substance in their path and leaving a swath of destruction like a firestorm. The technical term is "bipartisanship".
Rocket Man: "The need for booster shots for the immunized has always been based on the science.  Political science, not medical science."

Blakenzy

• friend
« Reply #5 on: January 25, 2012, 03:23:57 AM »
A more condensed, honest version of what Obama meant to say:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eqeUWuX6tBw

"Knowledge will forever govern ignorance, and a people who mean to be their own governors, must arm themselves with the power knowledge gives. A popular government without popular information or the means of acquiring it, is but a prologue to a farce or a tragedy or perhaps both"

seeker_two

• friend
  • In short, most intelligence is false.
« Reply #6 on: January 25, 2012, 05:55:37 AM »
You mean you guys watched it?....  =|

If I wanted to listen to a liar talk, I'd go back to my old state job.....
Impressed yet befogged, they grasped at his vivid leading phrases, seeing only their surface meaning, and missing the deeper current of his thought.

longeyes

• friend
« Reply #7 on: January 25, 2012, 08:36:38 AM »
He talked as if the last three years of HIM never happened.  We know he's delusional; let's hope the American voter isn't.

He still pretends that taxing "the rich" is a cure-all when we all know it's the camel's nose under the tent for overall income equalization.  There was zero of substance about dealing with the mounting costs of Social Security and Medicare, nothing about Obamacare with its attendant impact on both indebtedness and medical delivery.

In short, we're still in never-never land, and for many Americans that's just fine.
« Last Edit: January 25, 2012, 10:32:52 AM by longeyes »
"Domari nolo."

Walt Kowalski: Ever notice how you come across somebody once in a while you shouldn't have messed with? That's me.

Molon Labe.

HankB

• friend
« Reply #8 on: January 25, 2012, 09:15:03 AM »
What I heard:

1. He wants to raise taxes on "the rich" . . . but I remember reading that when the 13th Amendment was being debated, the income tax was aimed at millionaires. (And a million back then was real money.) Hang onto your wallet.

2. He wants to spend even more money.

3. Get ready for more Solyndras.

What he left out or glossed over:

1. By nixing the Keystone pipeline, he's forged an energy alliance between Canada and China.

2. Almost nothing about Obamacare - even he recognizes its unpopularity.

3. Much of the "predatory lending" for mortagages was the result of government arm-twisting thanks to the Community Reinvestment Act.

4. Food prices up 25% or so, gas prices up 84%, national debt up 43% . . . just since he took office.

This guy has got to go in the next election.

Seriously.
Trump won in 2016. Democrats haven't been so offended since Republicans came along and freed their slaves.
Sometimes I wonder if the world is being run by smart people who are putting us on, or by imbeciles who really mean it. - Mark Twain
Government is a broker in pillage, and every election is a sort of advance auction in stolen goods. - H.L. Mencken
Patriotism is supporting your country all the time, and your government when it deserves it. - Mark Twain

longeyes

• friend
« Reply #9 on: January 25, 2012, 10:37:50 AM »
He does.

But what must give us all pause is that with the nation at a precipice there was embarrassing chumminess in evidence all around.  Never have so many looked so self-contented in the face of imminent disaster.  And there they were, yet again, the Republicans comminging with their opposition on "date night," trivializing the vast divide between them over so many essentials. What a bloody travesty, almost as bad as the standing ovations given to a President who routinely dishonors the Constitution all of them have sworn to defend.
"Domari nolo."

Molon Labe.