Author Topic: CDC: If You Drink Enough to Enjoy It, You've Had Too Much  (Read 2624 times)

roo_ster

• Kakistocracy--It's What's For Dinner.
  • friend
  • Hoist the black flag, and begin slitting throats
CDC: If You Drink Enough to Enjoy It, You've Had Too Much
« on: January 24, 2012, 10:49:25 AM »
http://reason.com/blog/2012/01/23/cdc-if-you-drink-enough-to-enjoy-it-youv

Back in 2003, responding to a CDC report on binge drinking, I noted that "one man's dinner party is another man's binge—especially if the other man has a degree in public health." Based on more recent survey data, the CDC now warns that "binge drinking* is a bigger problem than previously thought," involving 38 million American adults. That asterisk is well-earned, because the CDC continues to define "binge drinking" as "men drinking 5 or more alcoholic drinks within a short period of time or women drinking 4 or more drinks within a short period of time."

Bureaucritters at the CDC also have earned their place against the wall, as being more puritanical than the Puritans ( http://www.armedpolitesociety.com/index.php?topic=19281.0 )

Do read on for an example of junk science used as a lever to lobby for more political power and less liberty.
Regards,

roo_ster

“Fallacies do not cease to be fallacies because they become fashions.”
----G.K. Chesterton

cambeul41

• friend
Re: CDC: If You Drink Enough to Enjoy It, You've Had Too Much
« Reply #1 on: January 24, 2012, 10:55:18 AM »
How is "short period of time" defined? Fifteen minutes is a rather short period of time for the number of drinks specified.
?It is usually futile to try to talk facts and analysis to people who are enjoying a sense of moral superiority in their ignorance.?
?Thomas Sowell

roo_ster

• Kakistocracy--It's What's For Dinner.
  • friend
  • Hoist the black flag, and begin slitting throats
« Reply #2 on: January 24, 2012, 10:58:18 AM »
How is "short period of time" defined? Fifteen minutes is a rather short period of time for the number of drinks specified.

You hit the nail on the head.  It is indeterminate and subjective unto each respondent in the survey.
Regards,

roo_ster

“Fallacies do not cease to be fallacies because they become fashions.”
----G.K. Chesterton

CNYCacher

• friend
« Reply #3 on: January 24, 2012, 11:00:04 AM »
Reduce the definition to 3 and 2 drinks and it will be an even BIGGER problem!
On two occasions, I have been asked [by members of Parliament], "Pray, Mr. Babbage, if you put into the machine wrong figures, will the right answers come out?" I am not able to rightly apprehend the kind of confusion of ideas that could provoke such a question.
Charles Babbage

Harold Tuttle

• Professor Chromedome
  • friend
« Reply #4 on: January 24, 2012, 11:13:34 AM »
so my st patty's day irish car bomb tradition is bad?
"The true mad scientist does not make public appearances! He does not wear the "Hello, my name is.." badge!
He strikes from below like a viper or on high like a penny dropped from the tallest building around!
He only has one purpose--Do bad things to good people! Mit science! What good is science if no one gets hurt?!"

cassandra and sara's daddy

• friends
« Reply #5 on: January 24, 2012, 12:06:27 PM »
my definition? 4-5 drinks an hour for more than 2 hours straight.or more than a 12 pack per 2 hour period. heck my sop was to go out with friends and hammer 3 shots in 15 mins with a mixed chaser get supper tuned then drink soda after first 2 hours.  and i was the one elected to drive home . 6b hours of sodas and i was in ok shape
It is much more powerful to seek Truth for one's self.  Seeing and hearing that others seem to have found it can be a motivation.  With me, I was drawn because of much error and bad judgment on my part. Confronting one's own errors and bad judgment is a very life altering situation.  Confronting the errors and bad judgment of others is usually hypocrisy.

by someone older and wiser than I

gunsmith

• I forgot to get vaccinated!
  • friend
  • I'm sorry, Dave. I'm afraid I can't do that.
« Reply #6 on: January 24, 2012, 08:38:04 PM »
 Before I got sober I used to go nuts tying to figure out how much was enough to have fun but not so much as to cause memory loss.

For me its really simple, if I do not drink then I wont get drunk.

in the 1980's it was one beer/one shot of Wild Turkey repeat ad infinitum.

Politicians and bureaucrats are considered productive if they swarm the populace like a plague of locust, devouring all substance in their path and leaving a swath of destruction like a firestorm. The technical term is "bipartisanship".
Rocket Man: "The need for booster shots for the immunized has always been based on the science.  Political science, not medical science."

BridgeRunner

• friend
« Reply #7 on: January 25, 2012, 06:34:37 AM »
Far as I'm concerned, if there was a glass involved, I wasn't binge drinking. When a fifth of Cuervo becomes a single serving, that may indeed be a binge. Not two double shots in whatever froufy mixed drink happens to strike my fancy.

French G.

• friend
  • ohhh sparkles!
« Reply #8 on: January 25, 2012, 07:29:54 AM »
Far as I'm concerned, if there was a glass involved, I wasn't binge drinking. When a fifth of Cuervo becomes a single serving, that may indeed be a binge. Not two double shots in whatever froufy mixed drink happens to strike my fancy.

Been there, never even put the bottle down. I allegedly fell off the porch. Woke up at 5am and felt great, that's because the hangover didn't set in until 3pm.

The record was $500 canadian spent on alcohol in a night. Not just me, sometimes the best way to rid yourself of a jerk is to line him up 6 shots and dare him. Boom, problem solved. Only time i ever got ejected from an establishment too, but that was hours later and that waitress deserved it.
AKA Navy Joe   

I'm so contrarian that I didn't respond to the thread.

Stand_watie

• friend
« Reply #9 on: January 25, 2012, 08:06:31 AM »
I love this quote. It should be right out of a Monty Python sketch, but rather is from Matthew 11

“To what can I compare this generation? They are like children ... For John came neither eating nor drinking, and they say, ‘He has a demon.’  The Son of Man came eating and drinking, and they say, ‘Here is a glutton and a drunkard'..."
Yizkor. Lo Od Pa'am

"You can have my gun when you pry it from my cold dead fingers"

"Never again"

"Malone Labe"

BridgeRunner

• friend
« Reply #10 on: January 25, 2012, 10:47:52 AM »
Been there, never even put the bottle down. I allegedly fell off the porch. Woke up at 5am and felt great, that's because the hangover didn't set in until 3pm.

Ah, I nursed that bottle of Cuervo for about six hours, and had a bit left for the morning. But when I put the bottle down, it was cuz we were headed to the bar. Yeah, that's binging. But the CDC's job is to lower the bar for binging down to "maybe I shouldn't drive home" so they can encourage hand-wringing and even more federal funding for the "epidemic". This is I became "obese" (by a margin of one pound). I was fat. Wasn't obese. Just...wasn't, not remotely. But hard to wring hands over the obesity epidemic if it only affects the truly humongous.

AJ Dual

• friends
  • Shoe Ballistics Inc.
« Reply #11 on: January 25, 2012, 02:49:23 PM »
I love this quote. It should be right out of a Monty Python sketch, but rather is from Matthew 11

“To what can I compare this generation? They are like children ... For John came neither eating nor drinking, and they say, ‘He has a demon.’  The Son of Man came eating and drinking, and they say, ‘Here is a glutton and a drunkard'..."

I forgot that one. John (the Baptist) was fasting, and they thought he was nuts. Jesus ate and drank, and they said he was a pig.  :lol:
I promise not to duck.