Author Topic: Rand Paul vs. TSA  (Read 14783 times)

Fitz

• Face-melter
  • friend
  • Floyd Rose is my homeboy
    • My Book
Re: Rand Paul vs. TSA
« Reply #25 on: January 24, 2012, 09:42:38 AM »

they say they found an annomaly
their sop is to examine further
as a congressman you believe hoe should be exempt?  do you feel all congressmen are exempt?  or just your pet congressman?

It's not unreasonable to ask them to run a scan again instead of submit to an invasive pat down.

That's what he wanted. Another scan.
Fitz

---------------
I have reached a conclusion regarding every member of this forum.
I no longer respect any of you. I hope the following offends you as much as this thread has offended me:
You are all awful people. I mean this *expletive deleted*ing seriously.

-MicroBalrog

cassandra and sara's daddy

• friends
« Reply #26 on: January 24, 2012, 09:57:15 AM »
and that would amount to special treatment for him.  i find his allegation the machine throws false alerts so they can do random patdowns interesting. and it should be verifiable.
It is much more powerful to seek Truth for one's self.  Seeing and hearing that others seem to have found it can be a motivation.  With me, I was drawn because of much error and bad judgment on my part. Confronting one's own errors and bad judgment is a very life altering situation.  Confronting the errors and bad judgment of others is usually hypocrisy.

by someone older and wiser than I

Fitz

• Face-melter
  • friend
    • My Book
« Reply #27 on: January 24, 2012, 09:58:18 AM »
and that would amount to special treatment for him.  i find his allegation the machine throws false alerts so they can do random patdowns interesting. and it should be verifiable.

I heard the same thing from a TSA employee last time I was there.

He's not asking for special treatment. He's asking for the same treatment for everyone, including himself.
Fitz

---------------
I no longer respect any of you. I hope the following offends you as much as this thread has offended me:

-MicroBalrog

MechAg94

• friend
« Reply #28 on: January 24, 2012, 10:02:49 AM »
Yes, he is using the incident to point out that the TSA needs to change their rules. 
“It is much more important to kill bad bills than to pass good ones.”  ― Calvin Coolidge

Tallpine

• friends
  • Grumpy Old Grandpa
« Reply #29 on: January 24, 2012, 10:06:56 AM »

Yes, that is what they say  ;/

But they continually "find" anomalies when there is nothing there  :mad:
Freedom is a heavy load, a great and strange burden for the spirit to undertake. It is not easy. It is not a gift given, but a choice made, and the choice may be a hard one. The road goes upward toward the light; but the laden traveller may never reach the end of it.  - Ursula Le Guin

• friends
« Reply #30 on: January 24, 2012, 10:16:57 AM »
if they are playing games there is no way to keep it a secret. someone will prove it
It is much more powerful to seek Truth for one's self.  Seeing and hearing that others seem to have found it can be a motivation.  With me, I was drawn because of much error and bad judgment on my part. Confronting one's own errors and bad judgment is a very life altering situation.  Confronting the errors and bad judgment of others is usually hypocrisy.

Tallpine

• friends
  • Grumpy Old Grandpa
« Reply #31 on: January 24, 2012, 10:21:20 AM »
if they are playing games there is no way to keep it a secret. someone will prove it

Ok, so are you saying the machines are showng things that aren't there  ???

You can't have it both ways.  :P
Freedom is a heavy load, a great and strange burden for the spirit to undertake. It is not easy. It is not a gift given, but a choice made, and the choice may be a hard one. The road goes upward toward the light; but the laden traveller may never reach the end of it.  - Ursula Le Guin

• friends
« Reply #32 on: January 24, 2012, 10:31:06 AM »
its been alleged the machines are rigged to create random patdowns

Fitz

• Face-melter
  • friend
    • My Book
« Reply #33 on: January 24, 2012, 10:33:33 AM »
its been alleged the machines are rigged to create random patdowns

It's more than alleged, I'd say, if TSA employees say it.
Fitz

---------------

-MicroBalrog

Perd Hapley

• Superstar of the Internet
  • friend
  • My prepositions are on/in
« Reply #34 on: January 24, 2012, 10:34:35 AM »

From the reporting I heard, the machines are programmed to throw a false positive sometimes. This is done so that passengers will be selected at random for pat-downs. I don't think it's supposed to be a secret.

But that's just something I heard on the radio.
"Doggies are angel babies!" -- my wife

roo_ster

• Kakistocracy--It's What's For Dinner.
  • friend
  • Hoist the black flag, and begin slitting throats
« Reply #35 on: January 24, 2012, 11:04:32 AM »

Unless, like many of the regs and procedures used by the TSA, they are given an official security classification by TSA honchos so as to preclude any FOIA disclosures.  Any disclosure would then be a violation of federal law.
Regards,

roo_ster

“Fallacies do not cease to be fallacies because they become fashions.”
----G.K. Chesterton

slingshot

• friend
« Reply #36 on: January 24, 2012, 12:11:50 PM »
From the reporting I heard, the machines are programmed to throw a false positive sometimes. This is done so that passengers will be selected at random for pat-downs. I don't think it's supposed to be a secret.

I have heard the same thing as a result of the reporting on the Rand Paul experience.  I personally think they should have just run him through the scanner again. 

I don't think they knew who he was either (at first). 

I was always curious which airport Rand Paul commonly used since he is from Bowling Green KY... Nashville or Louisville...  guess this answers my question.  Why? Trivia mostly for me.... 
It shall be as it was in the past... Not with dreams, but with strength and with courage... Shall a nation be molded to last. (The Plainsman, 1936)

longeyes

• friend
« Reply #37 on: January 24, 2012, 12:23:15 PM »
They are teaching us obedience--you got a problem with that? =D
"Domari nolo."

Thug: What you lookin' at old man?
Walt Kowalski: Ever notice how you come across somebody once in a while you shouldn't have messed with? That's me.

Molon Labe.

RevDisk

• friend
    • RevDisk.net
« Reply #38 on: January 24, 2012, 12:57:09 PM »

Saw them do that with a metal detector. Usually when attractive ladies were going through.

"Rev, your picture is in my King James Bible, where Paul talks about "inventors of evil."  Yes, I know you'll take that as a compliment."  - Fistful, possibly highest compliment I've ever received.

roo_ster

• Kakistocracy--It's What's For Dinner.
  • friend
  • Hoist the black flag, and begin slitting throats
« Reply #39 on: January 24, 2012, 01:49:38 PM »
Saw them do that with a metal detector. Usually when attractive ladies were going through.

Unpossible with federal professionals.
Regards,

roo_ster

“Fallacies do not cease to be fallacies because they become fashions.”
----G.K. Chesterton

BryanP

• friendly hermit
  • friend
« Reply #40 on: January 24, 2012, 03:34:34 PM »
I personally think they should have just run him through the scanner again. 

Why?  That's not an option given to any other passenger.  He should be subject to the same rules as the rest of us.  If he doesn't like them then he should fight to change them, but in the meantime he should have to live with it too.

I don't think they knew who he was either (at first). 

And theoretically not relevant.

I was always curious which airport Rand Paul commonly used since he is from Bowling Green KY... Nashville or Louisville...  guess this answers my question.  Why? Trivia mostly for me.... 

It's about 70 miles from BG to Nashville.  More like 110 from BG to Louisville.  (I live near Nashville and drive to BG and Louisville at times)
"Inaccurately attributed quotes are the bane of the internet" - Abraham Lincoln

Fitz

• Face-melter
  • friend
    • My Book
« Reply #41 on: January 24, 2012, 03:36:00 PM »
Why?  That's not an option given to any other passenger.  He should be subject to the same rules as the rest of us.  If he doesn't like them then he should fight to change them, but in the meantime he should have to live with it too.

Isn't that what he's trying to do?
Fitz

---------------

-MicroBalrog

CNYCacher

• friend
« Reply #42 on: January 24, 2012, 03:45:08 PM »
Isn't that what he's trying to do?

The lesson to be learned here is that when you are a private citizen and you do not like what TSA does to you, then you are sticking up for your rights.  But if you are a politician (or maybe just a Paul), and you do not like what TSA does to you, you are a jerk who wants special treatment.
On two occasions, I have been asked [by members of Parliament], "Pray, Mr. Babbage, if you put into the machine wrong figures, will the right answers come out?" I am not able to rightly apprehend the kind of confusion of ideas that could provoke such a question.
Charles Babbage

BryanP

• friendly hermit
  • friend
« Reply #43 on: January 24, 2012, 03:51:21 PM »
The lesson to be learned here is that when you are a private citizen and you do not like what TSA does to you, then you are sticking up for your rights.  But if you are a politician (or maybe just a Paul), and you do not like what TSA does to you, you are a jerk who wants special treatment.

Not at all.  If he had simply said "This is unacceptable", left the airport and made a stink as he tried to change things, then he'd be sticking up for his rights.  By standing there and demanding that they change their established procedures just for him he's being a jerk who wants special treatment.
"Inaccurately attributed quotes are the bane of the internet" - Abraham Lincoln

Fitz

• Face-melter
  • friend
    • My Book
« Reply #44 on: January 24, 2012, 04:35:25 PM »
Did he demand they change their procedures for him only? Seems like he used a little civil disobedience effectively.

Fitz

---------------

-MicroBalrog

RocketMan

• Mad Rocket Scientist
  • friend
  • Semper Fidelis
« Reply #45 on: January 24, 2012, 08:53:23 PM »

their sop is to examine further
as a congressman you believe hoe should be exempt?  do you feel all congressmen are exempt?  or just your pet congressman?

Never said that he should be exempt. He should not.  I simply said you misunderstood the situation, claiming that he thought he deserved exemption.  No where in the stories was that indicated to be the case.
And he's not my pet congressman.  Don't have one, wouldn't want one. They're impossible to housebreak.
If there really was intelligent life on other planets, we'd be sending them foreign aid.

Conservatives see George Orwell's "1984" as a cautionary tale.  Progressives view it as a "how to" manual.

My wife often says to me, "You are evil and must be destroyed." She may be right.

Liberals believe one should never let reason, logic and facts get in the way of a good emotional argument.

never_retreat

• Head Muckety Muck
  • friend
« Reply #46 on: January 24, 2012, 10:40:21 PM »
I have a copy of the TSA procedures that was leaked a few years ago. If anyone wants a copy pm me you email. It about 2.5 Megs.
I needed a mod to change my signature because the concept of "family friendly" eludes me.
Just noticed that a mod changed my signature. How long ago was that?
A few months-mods

CNYCacher

• friend
« Reply #47 on: January 25, 2012, 01:40:59 AM »
Not at all.  If he had simply said "This is unacceptable", left the airport and made a stink as he tried to change things, then he'd be sticking up for his rights.  By standing there and demanding that they change their established procedures just for him he's being a jerk who wants special treatment.

"just for him" is where your train of thought derails
On two occasions, I have been asked [by members of Parliament], "Pray, Mr. Babbage, if you put into the machine wrong figures, will the right answers come out?" I am not able to rightly apprehend the kind of confusion of ideas that could provoke such a question.
Charles Babbage

Doggy Daddy

• Poobah
  • friend
  • From the saner side of Las Vegas
« Reply #48 on: January 25, 2012, 01:44:47 AM »

I listened to him speak of the incident on teh toob.  He said that he (his people, staff, whatever) had talked to the TSA, and come to an agreement that children under a certain age would be allowed to go through the scanner a second time instead of being groped.  It was his understanding that the policy had been expanded to all people at a later time, and he was asking for the allowance that he understood was available to all.  He was not looking for extraordinary or exceptional treatment... just treatment that he believed his team had negotiated for all to take advantage of.

DD
Would you exchange
a walk-on part in a war
for a lead role in a cage?
-P.F.

BridgeRunner

• friend
« Reply #49 on: January 25, 2012, 06:27:19 AM »
I'm late to this party and don't have anything particularly original to add. Just this: I don't fly. I do what I have to do to avoid the TSA. The fact that an entire federal agency exists for the purpose of ridiculously ineffective security theater designed to make cowards feel better is repugnant to me.  The need to feel safer (without actually being safer) is something people ought to be embarrassed of. It is not something that should be used to justify violating constitutionally protected rights. Being subject to "random" (and I ain't bad-looking and tend to ooze attitude when .gov drones are busy showing how much control they have over me, so it's anyone's guess how random "random" would be) invasive searches is not reasonable and therefore violates my rights to travel freely and to be free from unreasonable searches.

I'm a single mom with not a whole lot of cash to spare. If I make a scene at an airport, I'm taking on an unacceptable level of personal risk. Therefore I don't go. Could be at some point I'll decide the travel is worth it. Two road trips to NOLA, one to CO, and one to NY (including twenty hour drive over ice-coated roads) later, I haven't gotten to that point yet. But I'm grateful to anyone who has the money/power/exposure to be willing to cause headaches for the TSA. If more congressmen would create a stir over security, it could only be a good thing. Not as good as if every American who thinks the TSA is fos made trouble, but still a good thing.

Seriously? We the little people can't afford to make a stink about it, and Congressmen shouldn't because somehow when they demand reasonable treatment they're being elitist scmucks? Really? That's a great way to ensure the TSA continues to thrive and grow in its size and ludicrosity.  Any bar, any cross, any impediment anyone at all throws at the TSA is valuable. Even if congresscritters are involved.