Author Topic: One Home Search Away From Being Adam Lanza  (Read 14988 times)

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
One Home Search Away From Being Adam Lanza
« on: March 28, 2013, 10:54:05 AM »
I found the tone of this article a little disturbing regarding what they consider "evidence" of a mad gunman and what a run of the mill shooter might have in their home.

Let's see: Handwritten notes of firearms stuff I need to order? Check. Swords in a display on my wall? Check. NRA defensive pistol course binder from a class I took? Check. Gun safe? Check. Bullets? Check. Hearing protection? Check. And the list goes on. I also have books by von Clausewitz, Sun Tzu, Jeff Cooper, and Theodore Roosevelt, just in case they need more evidence.

Also on a side note, what shotgun did they end up finding in his trunk? I never saw, but the article talks about "magazines" for it. Was it actually a magazine fed shotgun?

http://www.foxnews.com/us/2013/03/28/warrants-to-be-released-in-newtown-investigation/?test=latestnews
"I'm a foolish old man that has been drawn into a wild goose chase by a harpy in trousers and a nincompoop."

41magsnub

• friend
  • Don't make me assume my ultimate form!
Re: One Home Search Away From Being Adam Lanza
« Reply #1 on: March 28, 2013, 10:59:07 AM »
Wait..  when did they search my house?

TechMan

• Administrator
  • Yes, your moderation has been outsourced.
« Reply #2 on: March 28, 2013, 11:09:13 AM »
I found the tone of this article a little disturbing regarding what they consider "evidence" of a mad gunman and what a run of the mill shooter might have in their home.

Let's see: Handwritten notes of firearms stuff I need to order? Check. Swords in a display on my wall? Check. NRA defensive pistol course binder from a class I took? Check. Gun safe? Check. Bullets? Check. Hearing protection? Check. And the list goes on. I also have books by von Clausewitz, Sun Tzu, Jeff Cooper, and Theodore Roosevelt, just in case they need more evidence.

Also on a side note, what shotgun did they end up finding in his trunk? I never saw, but the article talks about "magazines" for it. Was it actually a magazine fed shotgun?

http://www.foxnews.com/us/2013/03/28/warrants-to-be-released-in-newtown-investigation/?test=latestnews

Don't know what type but here is a video: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wLrxSgkqJQc

Also remember you are reading an interpretation of the report and not the actual report.
Hawkmoon - Never underestimate another person's capacity for stupidity. Any time you think someone can't possibly be that dumb ... they'll prove you wrong.

Bacon and Eggs - A day's work for a chicken; A lifetime commitment for a pig.
Stupidity will always be its own reward.
Bad decisions make good stories.

Viking - The problem with the modern world is that there aren't really any predators eating stupid people.

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
« Reply #3 on: March 28, 2013, 11:15:46 AM »
Also remember you are reading an interpretation of the report and not the actual report.

Noted, though to me that is just as, or more, disturbing because it would indicate that the general, non-gun owning population might think these item are out of the ordinary (as they are mixed in the article with items that are out of the ordinary) and further lead to "common knowledge" that "hey, that guy has a list of gun stuff he wants to buy - he must be a whacko."
"I'm a foolish old man that has been drawn into a wild goose chase by a harpy in trousers and a nincompoop."

Ron

• friends
  • Like a tree planted by the rivers of water
    • What I believe ...
« Reply #4 on: March 28, 2013, 11:16:58 AM »
What a bunch of gobbledygook.

A loaded 12-gauge shotgun was found in the glove compartment of the Honda Civic Lanza drove to the school with two magazines containing 70 rounds of Winchester 12-gauge shotgun rounds.
For the invisible things of him since the creation of the world are clearly seen, being perceived through the things that are made, even his everlasting power and divinity, that they may be without excuse. Because knowing God, they didn’t glorify him as God, and didn’t give thanks, but became vain in their reasoning, and their senseless heart was darkened. Professing themselves to be wise, they became fools.

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
« Reply #5 on: March 28, 2013, 11:21:33 AM »
Don't know what type but here is a video: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wLrxSgkqJQc

If I were to guess from the video, it looked like maybe one of the Benelli pump/auto versions.

dogmush

• friend
« Reply #6 on: March 28, 2013, 11:27:24 AM »
A loaded 12-gauge shotgun was found in the glove compartment of the Honda Civic Lanza drove to the school with two magazines containing 70 rounds of Winchester 12-gauge shotgun rounds.

I'm trying to figure out how big a 35 rd 12ga mag would be.

Nick1911

• Administrator
« Reply #7 on: March 28, 2013, 11:28:00 AM »
Yea, none of that stuff strikes me as particularly incriminating.

A range bag, some literature, a safe, and some ammo?  Hardly unusual.

TechMan

• Administrator
« Reply #8 on: March 28, 2013, 11:30:28 AM »

I'm trying to figure out how big a 35 rd 12ga mag would be.
Larger than an Xrail system and that is 22+1.
Hawkmoon - Never underestimate another person's capacity for stupidity. Any time you think someone can't possibly be that dumb ... they'll prove you wrong.

Viking - The problem with the modern world is that there aren't really any predators eating stupid people.

lee n. field

• friend
  • tinpot megalomaniac, Paulbot, hardware goon
« Reply #9 on: March 28, 2013, 11:35:51 AM »

35 round drum?  Do they even make that for something like Saigas?

(I do see a 30 round magazine out there, for buttloads of money.)
In thy presence is fulness of joy.
At thy right hand pleasures for evermore.

TommyGunn

• friend
  • Stuck in full auto since birth.
« Reply #10 on: March 28, 2013, 11:44:58 AM »

Hey Ben;
atleast you're not like me.  I have books by Sun Tzu, Machiavelli, Gaius Julius Caesar, William Pierce (Turner Diaries), Clausewitz, George A. Custer, Hitler,  and various pro 2A authors in my house!  
I don't have an off-hand count on how much ammo I have here.....
Should I be paranoid? [tinfoil]
MOLON LABE   "Through ignorance of what is good and what is bad, the life of men is greatly perplexed." ~~ Cicero

TechMan

• Administrator

MillCreek

• Skippy The Wonder Dog
  • friend
  • APS Risk Manager
« Reply #12 on: March 28, 2013, 12:50:43 PM »
A 12 gauge shotgun that fits in the glove compartment of a Honda Civic? I don't think that even an Ithaca Stakeout would fit.

Quote from: Angel Eyes on August 09, 2018, 01:56:15 AM
You are one lousy risk manager.

TechMan

• Administrator
« Reply #13 on: March 28, 2013, 12:53:59 PM »
A majority of the gun related inventory is on this warrant.

ETA:  A quick look at the inventory it looks like he had a lot of Sagia magazines, could the shotgun that they found in the trunk be a Sagia?
« Last Edit: March 28, 2013, 12:57:04 PM by adively »

longeyes

• friend
« Reply #14 on: March 28, 2013, 01:48:13 PM »
You find what you want to find.  A lot of the Lanza case remains oddly opaque.  To this day.  How little we know of the life of Nancy Lanza, for example.  Personally, I find her selection of firearms curious...unless they were, let's say, government-issue... 
"Domari nolo."

Thug: What you lookin' at old man?
Walt Kowalski: Ever notice how you come across somebody once in a while you shouldn't have messed with? That's me.

Molon Labe.

TechMan

• Administrator
« Reply #15 on: March 28, 2013, 01:57:23 PM »
You find what you want to find.  A lot of the Lanza case remains oddly opaque.  To this day.  How little we know of the life of Nancy Lanza, for example.  Personally, I find her selection of firearms curious...unless they were, let's say, government-issue... 

Please expound upon the above statement.

Fitz

• Face-melter
  • friend
  • Floyd Rose is my homeboy
    • My Book
« Reply #16 on: March 28, 2013, 02:09:48 PM »
Please expound upon the above statement.

BECAUSE SANDY HOOK WAS A FALSE FLAG OPERATION ORCHESTRATED BY KENYAN BORN OBAMA TO TAKE TEH GUNZ
Fitz

---------------
I have reached a conclusion regarding every member of this forum.
I no longer respect any of you. I hope the following offends you as much as this thread has offended me:
You are all awful people. I mean this *expletive deleted*ing seriously.

-MicroBalrog

TechMan

• Administrator
« Reply #17 on: March 28, 2013, 02:18:07 PM »
BECAUSE SANDY HOOK WAS A FALSE FLAG OPERATION ORCHESTRATED BY KENYAN BORN OBAMA TO TAKE TEH GUNZ

You speak the truth, since this is the INTERNET and you typed your message in ALL CAPITALS.

Tallpine

• friends
  • Grumpy Old Grandpa
« Reply #18 on: March 28, 2013, 02:40:25 PM »
What some people call an "arsenal" is really just an incomplete collection  :lol:
Freedom is a heavy load, a great and strange burden for the spirit to undertake. It is not easy. It is not a gift given, but a choice made, and the choice may be a hard one. The road goes upward toward the light; but the laden traveller may never reach the end of it.  - Ursula Le Guin

HankB

• friend
« Reply #19 on: March 28, 2013, 03:21:16 PM »
You speak the truth, since this is the INTERNET and you typed your message in ALL CAPITALS.
And the spelling errors add credibility.  ;)

There are clearly some REAL bad guys out there, but has anyone else ever see a photo-op with some alleged bad guy's "arsenal" and think "That's no arsenal, that's just a range trip"?
Trump won in 2016. Democrats haven't been so offended since Republicans came along and freed their slaves.
Sometimes I wonder if the world is being run by smart people who are putting us on, or by imbeciles who really mean it. - Mark Twain
Government is a broker in pillage, and every election is a sort of advance auction in stolen goods. - H.L. Mencken
Patriotism is supporting your country all the time, and your government when it deserves it. - Mark Twain

Fitz

• Face-melter
  • friend
  • Floyd Rose is my homeboy
    • My Book
« Reply #20 on: March 28, 2013, 03:23:23 PM »
And the spelling errors add credibility.  ;)

There are clearly some REAL bad guys out there, but has anyone else ever see a photo-op with some alleged bad guy's "arsenal" and think "That's no arsenal, that's just a range trip"?

Yep.

I see "arsenal" and i'm like "Hmm... looks like my collection pre-kid/wife
Fitz

---------------
I have reached a conclusion regarding every member of this forum.
I no longer respect any of you. I hope the following offends you as much as this thread has offended me:
You are all awful people. I mean this *expletive deleted*ing seriously.

-MicroBalrog

longeyes

• friend
« Reply #21 on: March 28, 2013, 04:07:45 PM »

Odd, I don't remember suggesting that.  Yet.  :)

10mm Glock, 9 mm SIG, Bushmaster 5.56mm.  Yes, so many women shooters own exactly those three weapons, don't they?  Uh, you say maybe not?  Maybe not the 10mm?  But they might be exactly gov't-issue weapons.   Or maybe Nancy Lanza was that one female shooter in a million who settled on that exact primary triad of weapons...?  It could be, who knows.  Then again...

Not saying THEY ARE, saying they could be, and saying that there is much more NOT known about this case than known, that's all.  We know, months later, next to nothing about either parent's vita.  To me that' s strange, to others, I guess, not so much.

"Domari nolo."

Walt Kowalski: Ever notice how you come across somebody once in a while you shouldn't have messed with? That's me.

Molon Labe.

dogmush

• friend
« Reply #22 on: March 28, 2013, 04:34:52 PM »
Which agency issues a Glock 20 again?

And other then NAVSPECWAR, who issues a Sig 226?  The M11 is a 228.

ETA: I'm told it could be a G29 as well. Not a glock guy.  The question stands though. I don't thing any US agency issues a 10mm pistol.
« Last Edit: March 28, 2013, 04:40:35 PM by dogmush »

longeyes

• friend
« Reply #23 on: March 28, 2013, 04:50:18 PM »
Not necessarily currently, formerly; it was once the great white hope of government handgun calibers, as we all know.  I'll leave the SIG/Glock issuance matter to those on the board with specific expertise in that, but those are certainly the current handguns of choice for gov't agencies.  As for the 10mm caliber, whether Glock 20 or 29, it is not a typical self-defense purchase, not exactly a popular item with female shooters.  Perhaps you'd concede that much?  That said, I am merely suggesting that something about the "discovery" in this case seems lacking.  We still know very little about Adam's parents, much less than you would expect at this point. 

"Domari nolo."

Molon Labe.

Waitone

• friend
« Reply #24 on: March 28, 2013, 05:10:01 PM »
The search warrants released Thursday made no mention of a massive spreadsheet Lanza reportedly compiled containing extensive research on previous mass murders.
How come that is.  A grossly underplayed element of the story.
"Men, it has been well said, think in herds. It will be seen that they go mad in herds, while they only recover their senses slowly, and one by one."
- Charles Mackay, Scottish journalist, circa 1841

"Our society is run by insane people for insane objectives. I think we're being run by maniacs for maniacal ends and I think I'm liable to be put away as insane for expressing that. That's what's insane about it." - John Lennon