Author Topic: Judge rules NYC Terry stops unconstitutional.  (Read 14816 times)

Ryan in Maine

• friend
Judge rules NYC Terry stops unconstitutional.
« on: August 12, 2013, 10:20:55 PM »
That's basically what they are right? An escalating Terry stop?

Most folks can determine that it was unconstitutional if they've read the words of the 4A. Some folks could even see the 5A implications.

But not Bloomberg. He is appealing the decision. Errr I mean the city is appealing the decision.

http://www.nytimes.com/2013/08/13/nyregion/stop-and-frisk-practice-violated-rights-judge-rules.html

That stats that the NYCLU cites from the NYPD's own reports show a pretty obvious upscaling over the years.

http://www.nyclu.org/content/stop-and-frisk-data

The sad part is that it seems it's only coming to a stop because of the racial profiling aspect. Though I could just be mistaken since minorities, being the primary target, also have provided the primary response.

Hawkmoon

• friend
Re: Judge rules NYC Terry stops unconstitutional.
« Reply #1 on: August 12, 2013, 11:38:05 PM »
They aren't really Terry stops, because they aren't conducted on the basis of any genuine "reasonable suspicion based on clearly articulable facts."

The NYPD also established quotas for them, and that was already against a state law.

Unfortunately, however, they aren't coming to a stop. They are going to be "modified" under the supervision of a special referee appointed by the judge. A referee who happens to be a former prosecutor. Why do I see visions of foxes guarding hen houses?
- - - - - - - - - - - - -
100% Politically Incorrect by Design

lupinus

• Southern Mod Trimutive Emeritus
  • friends
« Reply #2 on: August 13, 2013, 05:34:59 AM »
Unfortunately, however, they aren't coming to a stop. They are going to be "modified" under the supervision of a special referee appointed by the judge. A referee who happens to be a former prosecutor. Why do I see visions of foxes guarding hen houses?
Well of course. It's only evil because it targets minorities, you see. If we just increase the program and get more frisky with the white folk, then there's no discrimination!
That is all. *expletive deleted*ck you all, eat *expletive deleted*it, and die in a fire. I have considered writing here a long parting section dedicated to each poster, but I have decided, at length, against it. *expletive deleted*ck you all and Hail Satan.

HankB

• friend
« Reply #3 on: August 13, 2013, 08:53:48 AM »
One of my Dad's friends would probably SEEK OUT these stop-and-frisk of stops.

You see, he was one of those rare individuals immune to the effects of poison ivy . . .  >:D
Trump won in 2016. Democrats haven't been so offended since Republicans came along and freed their slaves.
Sometimes I wonder if the world is being run by smart people who are putting us on, or by imbeciles who really mean it. - Mark Twain
Government is a broker in pillage, and every election is a sort of advance auction in stolen goods. - H.L. Mencken
Patriotism is supporting your country all the time, and your government when it deserves it. - Mark Twain

cassandra and sara's daddy

• friends
« Reply #4 on: August 13, 2013, 08:59:59 AM »
One of my Dad's friends would probably SEEK OUT these stop-and-frisk of stops.

You see, he was one of those rare individuals immune to the effects of poison ivy . . .  >:D

oh my
what an evil mind
and i am another one of those immune folks   >:D [popcorn]
It is much more powerful to seek Truth for one's self.  Seeing and hearing that others seem to have found it can be a motivation.  With me, I was drawn because of much error and bad judgment on my part. Confronting one's own errors and bad judgment is a very life altering situation.  Confronting the errors and bad judgment of others is usually hypocrisy.

by someone older and wiser than I

RoadKingLarry

• friends
« Reply #5 on: August 13, 2013, 09:08:25 AM »
Just how rare is that? I've used that immunity myself a time or two in my younger days.
If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude better than the animating contest of freedom, go home from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or your arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains set lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that you were our countrymen.

Samuel Adams

• friends
« Reply #6 on: August 13, 2013, 09:46:40 AM »
Just how rare is that? I've used that immunity myself a time or two in my younger days.

don't know how rare

got a good beating for handing another scout a hand full of leaves when nature called

it was the only time i deliberately used my power for evil
so far
It is much more powerful to seek Truth for one's self.  Seeing and hearing that others seem to have found it can be a motivation.  With me, I was drawn because of much error and bad judgment on my part. Confronting one's own errors and bad judgment is a very life altering situation.  Confronting the errors and bad judgment of others is usually hypocrisy.

dogmush

• friend
« Reply #7 on: August 13, 2013, 10:17:36 AM »
So.....What happens if you say no to the frisk?

Arrest?

Tallpine

• friends
  • Grumpy Old Grandpa
« Reply #8 on: August 13, 2013, 10:34:24 AM »
So.....What happens if you say no to the frisk?

Arrest?

You get beaten, tazered, and shot.
Freedom is a heavy load, a great and strange burden for the spirit to undertake. It is not easy. It is not a gift given, but a choice made, and the choice may be a hard one. The road goes upward toward the light; but the laden traveller may never reach the end of it.  - Ursula Le Guin

dogmush

• friend
« Reply #9 on: August 13, 2013, 10:44:14 AM »
I know it's NYC but still.....I'm a little floored.  They were just walking around frisking random folks for no reason other then a bulge.........for a decade? And no one told them to FOAD?

To hell with the microwave radar van.  Who cares if they x-ray you when they can just stop you and frisk you.  My Army buddies didn't understand why I refused to go to NY on our recent 3 day pass.  The whole place is BS. 

How much do you think we'd have to offer Putin to nuke it?.....It's the only way to be sure.

makattak

• Dark Lord of the Cis
  • friend
« Reply #10 on: August 13, 2013, 10:52:55 AM »
don't know how rare

got a good beating for handing another scout a hand full of leaves when nature called

it was the only time i deliberately used my power for evil
so far

I'm rather curious to its rarity as I am yet another one immune.
I wish the Ring had never come to me. I wish none of this had happened.

So do all who live to see such times. But that is not for them to decide. All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given to us. There are other forces at work in this world, Frodo, besides the will of evil. Bilbo was meant to find the Ring. In which case, you also were meant to have it. And that is an encouraging thought

Levant

• friend
« Reply #11 on: August 13, 2013, 10:53:56 AM »
I'm immune to poison ivy, too.

As for Terry stops, I won't be happy until all forms are declared unconstitutional.
NEOKShooter on GRM
Republicans: The other Democratic Party

roo_ster

• Kakistocracy--It's What's For Dinner.
  • friend
  • Hoist the black flag, and begin slitting throats
« Reply #12 on: August 13, 2013, 11:26:48 AM »
Well of course. It's only evil because it targets minorities, you see. If we just increase the program and get more frisky with the white folk, then there's no discrimination!

I know it's NYC but still.....I'm a little floored.  They were just walking around frisking random folks for no reason other then a bulge.........for a decade? And no one told them to FOAD?

To hell with the microwave radar van.  Who cares if they x-ray you when they can just stop you and frisk you.  My Army buddies didn't understand why I refused to go to NY on our recent 3 day pass.  The whole place is BS. 

How much do you think we'd have to offer Putin to nuke it?.....It's the only way to be sure.

You must understand that NYC is special, full of special people.  IOW, liberals and lefties live there in great concentration.  Liberals who find black and brown people scary and want them gone from Manhattan and any neighborhood outside Manhattan they might want to gentrify.  Since liberals are deemed GOOD by merely holding GOOD intentions and positions(1) they can do this without being discriminatory, because discrimination is BAD done only by BAD conservatives.  And those BAD people need their faces rubbed into the sort of "diversity" of the surly, poor, and criminally-inclined minorities that have been cleansed from Manhattan.

Besides, lefties want the cool urban experience without being mugged.  Heck, they DESERVE to live in a "vibrant" neighborhood without too many scary poor minorities due to the fact that they are of the left.  Matter of fact, they consider it their right to not have to pay for excellent private schools and instead set up a dreadfully complex alternate/shadow NYC public school system that has enough bureaucratic and testing barriers to entry such that they can keep out all the dumb underprivileged minorities.

(1) "Minorities are oppressed by white people and ought to get affirmative action, welfare, and free daycare Head Start.  I love black people as a 'people.' <insert air quotes> Of course, individual black people who did not attend Columbia University with me are pretty scary."
Regards,

roo_ster

“Fallacies do not cease to be fallacies because they become fashions.”
----G.K. Chesterton

T.O.M.

• friend
« Reply #13 on: August 13, 2013, 09:15:47 PM »
I'm immune to poison ivy, too.

As for Terry stops, I won't be happy until all forms are declared unconstitutional.

Add me to the immunity list.  Interesting how many of us there are here at APS.

As to Terry stops, if they were actually done as SCOTUS authorized in the Terry decision, it wouldn't be a problem.  Expanding it and twisting the original intent of the decision is where problems have cropped up.  I don't have an issue with an officer observing what is apparent to be a guy casing a stop-and-rob at midnight and doing a Terry stop.  But when you are doing a Terry stop on a guy because he's walking in a neighborhood after dark, or wearing a hoodie, etc., it's gone too far.
No, I'm not mtnbkr.  ;)

a.k.a. "our resident Legal Smeagol."...thanks BryanP
"Anybody can give legal advice - but only licensed attorneys can sell it."...vaskidmark

Levant

• friend
« Reply #14 on: August 13, 2013, 09:56:59 PM »
Add me to the immunity list.  Interesting how many of us there are here at APS.

As to Terry stops, if they were actually done as SCOTUS authorized in the Terry decision, it wouldn't be a problem.  Expanding it and twisting the original intent of the decision is where problems have cropped up.  I don't have an issue with an officer observing what is apparent to be a guy casing a stop-and-rob at midnight and doing a Terry stop.  But when you are doing a Terry stop on a guy because he's walking in a neighborhood after dark, or wearing a hoodie, etc., it's gone too far.

Or a non-alcohol-or-drug, non-collision, traffic stop.

I still think any form of Terry stop would have the founders turning in their graves but regardless of what the standard is, it takes an individual cop to abuse it. Just because the department or the courts would let them get away with it does not mean the street cop actually has to do it.
NEOKShooter on GRM

Cliffh

• friend
« Reply #15 on: August 13, 2013, 11:20:24 PM »
I've got an acquired immunity, working with poison oak daily for 4 years in sleeveless T's - get used to it or suffer.

How many millions of people are in New York?  And the cops were able to do this for ~10 years?  It's almost unbelievable.

Too lazy to look up links.  Radio boy was giving out stat's on percentage of crimes committed by race.  Seems as if, in New York, greater than 80% of the major crimes are committed by other-than-white races. 

Personally, I think these stops were unconstitutional and need to be stopped.  This *expletive deleted*it is getting out of hand.  I'd sure hate to see it spread; the results would not be pretty.  Law abiding people dodging & hiding from the cops everywhere they go.  Or not.  Either way, not pretty.

Balog

• Unrepentant race traitor
  • friends
  • What if we tried more?
« Reply #16 on: August 14, 2013, 04:11:55 PM »
It went on for so long because 1. it's effective and 2. it happened in a rich white liberal city to poor black and brown folks that the liberals are afeared of.
Quote from: French G.
I was always pleasant, friendly and within arm's reach of a gun.

Quote from: Standing Wolf
If government is the answer, it must have been a really, really, really stupid question.

Scout26

• I'm a leaf on the wind.
  • friend
  • I spent a week in that town one night....
« Reply #17 on: August 14, 2013, 05:09:05 PM »
You must understand that NYC is special, full of special people.  IOW, liberals and lefties live there in great concentration.  Liberals who find black and brown people scary and want them gone from Manhattan and any neighborhood outside Manhattan they might want to gentrify.  Since liberals are deemed GOOD by merely holding GOOD intentions and positions(1) they can do this without being discriminatory, because discrimination is BAD done only by BAD conservatives.  And those BAD people need their faces rubbed into the sort of "diversity" of the surly, poor, and criminally-inclined minorities that have been cleansed from Manhattan.

Besides, lefties want the cool urban experience without being mugged.  Heck, they DESERVE to live in a "vibrant" neighborhood without too many scary poor minorities due to the fact that they are of the left.  Matter of fact, they consider it their right to not have to pay for excellent private schools and instead set up a dreadfully complex alternate/shadow NYC public school system that has enough bureaucratic and testing barriers to entry such that they can keep out all the dumb underprivileged minorities.

(1) "Minorities are oppressed by white people and ought to get affirmative action, welfare, and free daycare Head Start.  I love black people as a 'people.' <insert air quotes> Of course, individual black people who did not attend Columbia University with me are pretty scary."

You forgot to mention that they love the "diversity" of having various ethnic restaurants and shops in their neighborhoods, as long as the owners and workers go back to their hovels in anywhere-but-Manhatten to live.  "Ethnics" can only work in Manhatten, but live there ??      Pfffftttt.
Some days even my lucky rocketship underpants won't help.

Bring me my Broadsword and a clear understanding.
Get up to the roundhouse on the cliff-top standing.
Take women and children and bed them down.
Bless with a hard heart those that stand with me.
Bless the women and children who firm our hands.
Put our backs to the north wind.
Hold fast by the river.
Sweet memories to drive us on,
for the motherland.

roo_ster

• friend
« Reply #18 on: August 14, 2013, 06:43:44 PM »
It went on for so long because 1. it's effective and 2. it happened in a rich white liberal city to poor black and brown folks that the liberals are afeared of.

Bingo.
Regards,

roo_ster

----G.K. Chesterton

• friends
« Reply #19 on: August 14, 2013, 06:49:19 PM »
Bingo.

do you squint or close your eyes completely to make that work?
you pale folks are a minority in nyc

and rich?  hmmmm
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Demographics_of_New_York_City

roo_ster

• friend
« Reply #20 on: August 14, 2013, 07:38:14 PM »
do you squint or close your eyes completely to make that work?
you pale folks are a minority in nyc

and rich?  hmmmm
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Demographics_of_New_York_City

Manhattan is majority white/jewish.  Brooklyn & Queens are not quite majority white and have gotten whiter since 2000.  Staten Island is super-majority white.  Bronx is super-majority Non-asian minority.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Demographic_profile_of_New_York_City#By_borough

Also, affluent (UMC+) white/jewish liberals wield the most power, so calling it a "rich white liberal city" is a fair cop.
Regards,

roo_ster

----G.K. Chesterton

• friends
« Reply #21 on: August 14, 2013, 07:59:22 PM »
2 boroughs outa 5 and a 44% total pale population and you claim its rich white city?  you see what the poverty rate is?

and lookie here
each borough that had the most stops last year — Brooklyn’s 75th Pct. (East New York), the Bronx’s 40th Pct. (Mott Haven), Queens’ 103rd Pct. (Jamaica), Staten Island’s 120th Pct. (St. George), and Manhattan’s 23rd Pct. (East Harlem).

Read more: http://www.nydailynews.com/new-york/nypd-cops-wear-body-cams-article-1.1425121#ixzz2bzUWnyle
  you really wanna know why it went on so long?  you guys had it 1/2 right

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2012/08/16/stop-and-frisk-poll-shows-nypd-racially-divided_n_1788576.html

bold mine
The Quinnipiac University survey found that 57 percent of white city voters approve of the Police Department's practice of detaining and sometimes searching anyone officers deem suspicious. But only 25 percent of black voters surveyed said they approve of the policy, which affects many more minorities than white residents. Of those surveyed, 53 percent of Hispanics said they approve of the practice.

The NYPD stopped close to 700,000 people on the street last year. Nearly 87 percent were black or Hispanic, and about half were frisked. About 10 percent were arrested.

Mayor Michael Bloomberg argues that the program is an indispensable tool in the fight against illegal guns. But critics argue the practice unfairly targets minorities.

Overall approval for stop and frisk was at 45 percent, while disapproval was at 50 percent. Some 64 percent of voters said they approve of Police Commissioner Raymond Kelly's job performance. His approval among whites was at 77 percent, while among blacks, it was at 51 percent.

and there is this

According to the latest Marist poll, which is the only indication of where we hold in 2013, Jewish registered voters make up 15 percent of the overall registered voters in NYC. In party affiliation - Jews make up 16%  of the electorate among registered Democratic voters and 21% among Republicans.
« Last Edit: August 14, 2013, 08:02:50 PM by cassandra and sara's daddy »

Levant

• friend
« Reply #22 on: August 14, 2013, 11:08:45 PM »

Hammer... meet nail.
NEOKShooter on GRM

Levant

• friend
« Reply #23 on: August 14, 2013, 11:10:15 PM »
Manhattan is majority white/jewish.  Brooklyn & Queens are not quite majority white and have gotten whiter since 2000.  Staten Island is super-majority white.  Bronx is super-majority Non-asian minority.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Demographic_profile_of_New_York_City#By_borough

Also, affluent (UMC+) white/jewish liberals wield the most power, so calling it a "rich white liberal city" is a fair cop.

Ummmm.. I don't see Jewish listed on your reference.  Can you back up that claim?  Or explain the significance of it?
NEOKShooter on GRM

gunsmith

• I forgot to get vaccinated!
  • friend
  • I'm sorry, Dave. I'm afraid I can't do that.
« Reply #24 on: August 15, 2013, 01:16:44 AM »
My brother was a cop in NYC when the stop/frisk policy started under Rudy, He loved it.
All the cops loved it.

Basically, cops know what the neighborhood criminals look like.
You stop the saggy pants dude with the long T shirt on - most times he had a warrant or contraband.

If you didn't like it you could choose not to dress like a criminal.

But, yeah Unconstitutional, everyone knows it, but NY gun laws are unconstitutional too. You would support stop and frisk if you lived there because it hampers the criminals. Unless you had a ccw - but you couldn't because you need to be Trump to get a NYC ccw.

Politicians and bureaucrats are considered productive if they swarm the populace like a plague of locust, devouring all substance in their path and leaving a swath of destruction like a firestorm. The technical term is "bipartisanship".
Rocket Man: "The need for booster shots for the immunized has always been based on the science.  Political science, not medical science."