Author Topic: Judge rules NYC Terry stops unconstitutional.  (Read 14817 times)

gunsmith

• I forgot to get vaccinated!
  • friend
  • I'm sorry, Dave. I'm afraid I can't do that.
Re: Judge rules NYC Terry stops unconstitutional.
« Reply #50 on: August 20, 2013, 08:10:57 PM »
So let me get this straight - if I carried a gun under a nice suit in NYC, I would have nothing to fear from the cops  ???

=|

Basically, yes - well dressed men - both black or white - generally get left alone.
I knew a criminal in my old neighborhood, when he was out mugging/robbing people - he would wear a suit. He told me it worked great that the cops never bothered him.
Politicians and bureaucrats are considered productive if they swarm the populace like a plague of locust, devouring all substance in their path and leaving a swath of destruction like a firestorm. The technical term is "bipartisanship".
Rocket Man: "The need for booster shots for the immunized has always been based on the science.  Political science, not medical science."

cassandra and sara's daddy

• friends
« Reply #51 on: August 20, 2013, 08:31:15 PM »
Sure. When they have a warrant from a judge or probable cause.

I'm quite sure that any police chief that implemented this where I live would be fired within a day. It would probably help crime stats if we threw all poor people into ovens. Doesn't mean it's the right or ethical thing to do.

With respect, CSD, nothing wrong with trolling the APS folks here, we need a court jester... I know you don't take the position of "anything good for the police is good for the country". If you do, you may want to take a few moments to reflect on that.

you didn't read about stop and frisk in newark?  and how the aclu et al signed off on it?
It is much more powerful to seek Truth for one's self.  Seeing and hearing that others seem to have found it can be a motivation.  With me, I was drawn because of much error and bad judgment on my part. Confronting one's own errors and bad judgment is a very life altering situation.  Confronting the errors and bad judgment of others is usually hypocrisy.

by someone older and wiser than I

Hawkmoon

• friend
« Reply #52 on: August 20, 2013, 11:39:46 PM »
you didn't read about stop and frisk in newark?  and how the aclu et al signed off on it?

The ACLU also maintained for a very long time that the Second Amendment guaranteed only a collective right to bear arms, in connection with militia service.

Look where that got them ...
- - - - - - - - - - - - -
100% Politically Incorrect by Design

RevDisk

• friend
    • RevDisk.net
« Reply #53 on: August 21, 2013, 08:09:53 AM »

Flagrant violations of the Fourth Amendment are wrong, regardless of who signs off on it. You know this.

If they have such a strong feeling, they should get a warrant.
"Rev, your picture is in my King James Bible, where Paul talks about "inventors of evil."  Yes, I know you'll take that as a compliment."  - Fistful, possibly highest compliment I've ever received.

• friends
Re: Re: Judge rules NYC Terry stops unconstitutional.
« Reply #54 on: August 21, 2013, 09:08:13 AM »
Even in nyc it was the stopping folf of color that was the issue. Expect to see more not less stop.and frisk. Just more high sun block numbers. Like the tsa does. Only its bad then good now

damn phone
It is much more powerful to seek Truth for one's self.  Seeing and hearing that others seem to have found it can be a motivation.  With me, I was drawn because of much error and bad judgment on my part. Confronting one's own errors and bad judgment is a very life altering situation.  Confronting the errors and bad judgment of others is usually hypocrisy.

RevDisk

• friend
    • RevDisk.net
« Reply #55 on: August 21, 2013, 09:39:12 AM »
Even in nyc it was the stopping folf of color that was the issue. Expect to see more not less stop.and frisk. Just more high sun block numbers. Like the tsa does. Only its bad then good now

damn phone

Ah. No. Bad then. Bad now. Fourth Amendment says illegal without probable cause or warrant.
"Rev, your picture is in my King James Bible, where Paul talks about "inventors of evil."  Yes, I know you'll take that as a compliment."  - Fistful, possibly highest compliment I've ever received.

Balog

• Unrepentant race traitor
  • friends
  • What if we tried more?
« Reply #56 on: August 21, 2013, 11:00:40 AM »
"A cop has a feeling you're doing something wrong" is probable cause in CSD world.
Quote from: French G.
I was always pleasant, friendly and within arm's reach of a gun.

Quote from: Standing Wolf
If government is the answer, it must have been a really, really, really stupid question.

Fitz

• Face-melter
  • friend
  • Floyd Rose is my homeboy
    • My Book
« Reply #57 on: August 21, 2013, 11:22:59 AM »

damn phone

This is what you don't seem to get.

No matter what the ACLU thinks, no matter what or how a given judge rules on the issue, the PRACTICE OF STOP AND FRISK IS BLATANTLY UNCONSTITUTIONAL.

It may be permitted without the racial component now, because of the ruling. THAT DOES NOT MAKE IT RIGHT
Fitz

---------------
I have reached a conclusion regarding every member of this forum.
I no longer respect any of you. I hope the following offends you as much as this thread has offended me:
You are all awful people. I mean this *expletive deleted*ing seriously.

-MicroBalrog

• friends
« Reply #58 on: August 21, 2013, 02:34:06 PM »
you need to find a judge who agrees  though this judge has 2 more cases involving stop and frisk pending
no fourth amendment mentioned

Judge Scheindlin stated in her decision that the city adopted a "policy of indirect racial profiling by targeting racially defined groups for stops based on local crime suspect data." The result, she said, is "the disproportionate and discriminatory stopping of blacks and Hispanics in violation of the Equal Protection Clause" of the Constitution.

i did miss this though
http://www.policymic.com/articles/22375/nyc-stop-and-frisk-policy-ruled-unconstitutional-conservatives-immediately-start-whining

Fitz

• Face-melter
  • friend
    • My Book
« Reply #59 on: August 21, 2013, 02:51:03 PM »
Yep, you're missing the point.
Fitz

---------------
I no longer respect any of you. I hope the following offends you as much as this thread has offended me:

-MicroBalrog

Tallpine

• friends
  • Grumpy Old Grandpa
« Reply #60 on: August 21, 2013, 04:11:42 PM »
Violating the civil rights of minorities at a higher rate than whites  :facepalm:
Freedom is a heavy load, a great and strange burden for the spirit to undertake. It is not easy. It is not a gift given, but a choice made, and the choice may be a hard one. The road goes upward toward the light; but the laden traveller may never reach the end of it.  - Ursula Le Guin

Fitz

• Face-melter
  • friend
    • My Book
« Reply #61 on: August 21, 2013, 04:13:20 PM »
Well, C&SD seems to think that if you violate everyone's rights equally, it's ok
Fitz

---------------

-MicroBalrog

• friends
« Reply #62 on: August 21, 2013, 04:54:16 PM »
As does the judge(s) so far

damn phone

Cliffh

• friend
« Reply #63 on: August 21, 2013, 09:12:24 PM »
First, IMO, the stop & frisk tactic is a violation of the 4th amendment.

But, if 80+% of the crimes are committed by OTW (other than white), why is it not "fair" for 80+% of the stops to be of folks who are OTW?

/putting down the pot-stirring ladle

Levant

• friend
« Reply #64 on: August 21, 2013, 11:00:01 PM »
This is what you don't seem to get.

No matter what the ACLU thinks, no matter what or how a given judge rules on the issue, the PRACTICE OF STOP AND FRISK IS BLATANTLY UNCONSTITUTIONAL.

It may be permitted without the racial component now, because of the ruling. THAT DOES NOT MAKE IT RIGHT

Thank you!  The Constitution says what it says and means what it says.  It's not difficult to understand.  It does not matter what any court or any Congress or any judge or any police officer says about anything in the Constitution.  It only matters what the Constitution says.
NEOKShooter on GRM
Republicans: The other Democratic Party

Levant

• friend
« Reply #65 on: August 21, 2013, 11:01:19 PM »
First, IMO, the stop & frisk tactic is a violation of the 4th amendment.

But, if 80+% of the crimes are committed by OTW (other than white), why is it not "fair" for 80+% of the stops to be of folks who are OTW?

/putting down the pot-stirring ladle

Your opinion is fact.  You should strengthen your view.  Don't let modern behavioral science influence you.  It's ok to call a spade a spade.
NEOKShooter on GRM
Republicans: The other Democratic Party