Author Topic: Game on, air strikes in Syria  (Read 15148 times)

MicroBalrog

• friend
Re: Game on, air strikes in Syria
« Reply #100 on: September 29, 2014, 06:58:24 AM »
The French Maginot Line was an amazing system of fortifications and artillery.  The Nazis would have been idiots to try to penetrate it.  Thankfully the French left the Ardennes open -- building their "wall" through that was too expensive and they rationalized the Germans would also decide the Ardennes was too hard to get mechanized stuff through.  This was not really so much a failure of the Maginot Line per se but a failure on the part of the French to think like the enemy would.  From the German perspective tearing through the Ardennes was so much the better choice than dealing with the Maginot Line.

It's more complicated than this.

The Belgians had their border with Germany defended by an array of fortifications of their own.

The French government expected that the Belgian forts would last long enough they'd be able to  maneuver an armored force into position to stop the Germans.

Not only did this fail (because German fort-capturing tactics were better than anyone ever expected), but there was a worse failure:

The French military spirit, sapped by the experience of WW1, was not up for a new fight. There were literal peace protesters blocking runways on bomber bases so planes could not operate.

No amount of fortifications will protect a country whose spirit has already failed.

(That said, later in the war the Allies managed to organize a French army of over a million strong, so I guess they learned their lesson.)
Destroy The Enemy in Hand-to-Hand Combat.

"...tradition and custom becomes intertwined and are a strong coercion which directs the society upon fixed lines, and strangles liberty. " ~ William Graham Sumner

Balog

• Unrepentant race traitor
  • friends
  • What if we tried more?
« Reply #101 on: September 29, 2014, 11:49:44 AM »
There were literal peace protesters blocking runways on bomber bases so planes could not operate.

I'd never heard that before. One would think the .mil would shoot the traitors and drag their hippie corpses off the runway.
Quote from: French G.
I was always pleasant, friendly and within arm's reach of a gun.

Quote from: Standing Wolf
If government is the answer, it must have been a really, really, really stupid question.

MicroBalrog

• friend
« Reply #102 on: September 29, 2014, 08:42:16 PM »
Meanwhile, Syria's government is supportive of US operations in Syria:

http://abcnews.go.com/US/wireStory/ap-interview-syria-us-airstrikes-25842098

But on Monday he denied saying that coordination was necessary, adding that Damascus was satisfied with simply being informed of any U.S.-led action, which he said the Obama administration did before the start last week of the aerial campaign in Syria.
Destroy The Enemy in Hand-to-Hand Combat.

"...tradition and custom becomes intertwined and are a strong coercion which directs the society upon fixed lines, and strangles liberty. " ~ William Graham Sumner

MechAg94

• friend
« Reply #103 on: September 29, 2014, 10:11:47 PM »
I'd never heard that before. One would think the .mil would shoot the traitors and drag their hippie corpses off the runway.
I imagine that defeatist attitude was active in the leadership also.  Leadership is critical whether you are defending fortifications or operating field armies. 

On the other side, the Germans had some good commanders and highly motivated and trained troops.  They took a lot of casualties taking those Belgian fortifications not to mention in other campaigns. 
“It is much more important to kill bad bills than to pass good ones.”  ― Calvin Coolidge

KD5NRH

• friends
  • I'm too sexy for you people.
« Reply #104 on: September 30, 2014, 01:40:09 PM »

It's the French; they surrendered to the protesters.