Author Topic: Carrying - what not to do ....  (Read 4108 times)

MrsSmith

• I do declare, someone needs an ass whoopin'
  • friend
Carrying - what not to do ....
« on: May 22, 2012, 04:26:25 PM »
Found this while doing marketing research. I know I'm guilty of adjusting mine when I get out of my truck or have had to bend down to pick something up. But that's a holster issue, not a nervous habit.

http://visual.ly/how-spot-hidden-handgun
America is at that awkward stage; It's too late to work within the system, but too early to shoot the bastards. ~ Claire Wolfe

BlueStarLizzard

• Queen of the Cislords
  • friend
  • Oh please, nobody died last time...
Re: Carrying - what not to do ....
« Reply #1 on: May 22, 2012, 04:28:04 PM »
Found this while doing marketing research. I know I'm guilty of adjusting mine when I get out of my truck or have had to bend down to pick something up. But that's a holster issue, not a nervous habit.

As I am pretty sure dropping your gun pretty much trumps all other fax pas, I think your good.
 :laugh:
"Okay, um, I'm lost. Uh, I'm angry, and I'm armed, so if you two have something that you need to work out --" -Malcolm Reynolds

AJ Dual

• friends
  • Shoe Ballistics Inc.
« Reply #2 on: May 22, 2012, 05:18:12 PM »

I'm always pulling down a shirttail that's riding up. But that's because I'm fat.  :angel:

You generally can't spot a regular carrier with a holster, because they "forget" it's there. Nor are they doing anything wrong, so don't obsess over being seen either.
I promise not to duck.

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
« Reply #3 on: May 22, 2012, 05:58:35 PM »
I've gotten pretty good at not patting myself during normal walking, standing, etc., but am still always pulling my shirt when I sit up or sit down to make sure nothing is showing. Much more so with light shirts than with say, jackets.
"I'm a foolish old man that has been drawn into a wild goose chase by a harpy in trousers and a nincompoop."

vaskidmark

• National Anthem Snob
  • friends
  • WTF?
« Reply #4 on: May 22, 2012, 06:53:13 PM »
The joys of open carry.  (Go ahead, haters.  Give me your best shot.)

stay safe.
If cowardly and dishonorable men sometimes shoot unarmed men with army pistols or guns, the evil must be prevented by the penitentiary and gallows, and not by a general deprivation of a constitutional privilege.

Hey you kids!! Get off my lawn!!!

They keep making this eternal vigilance thing harder and harder.  Protecting the 2nd amendment is like playing PACMAN - there's no pause button so you can go to the bathroom.

Monkeyleg

• friend
  • Tattaglia is a pimp.
    • http://www.gunshopfinder.com
« Reply #5 on: May 22, 2012, 07:08:37 PM »
Since I always wear a vest, that's my cover. Actually, I always wear a vest to have cover. Whatever.

I can check to make sure my vest hasn't ridden up over my gun just by pushing the vest back with the inside of my arm, a movement that nobody would notice. I can feel if the gun is snagging. If I need to make an adjustment to the vest, I can reach in the pocket for my keys, and move the vest using the pocket, then look at the keys as though I'm checking to make sure I didn't forget one.

The other day I was getting out of my car in a Walgreens parking lot, and I'd been moving around more than usual inside the car. Once outside the car I could feel that my vest had ridden all the way up and over the pistol, exposing it completely. I just got back inside my car, and don't think anyone noticed.

seeker_two

• friend
  • In short, most intelligence is false.
« Reply #6 on: May 22, 2012, 08:34:30 PM »
If you let Jamis pick out your t-shirts, no one will ever spot your gun.....
Impressed yet befogged, they grasped at his vivid leading phrases, seeing only their surface meaning, and missing the deeper current of his thought.

geronimotwo

• friend
« Reply #7 on: May 22, 2012, 09:45:36 PM »
As I am pretty sure dropping your gun pretty much trumps all other fax pas, I think your good.
 :laugh:

okay, go ahead and rub it in..........
make the world idiot proof.....and you will have a world full of idiots. -g2

MrsSmith

• I do declare, someone needs an ass whoopin'
  • friend
« Reply #8 on: May 22, 2012, 10:55:37 PM »

I'm sure there are times when I print, especially when wearing a t-shirt that Jamis didn't pick out for me. But I don't pay much attention to it because even if anyone noticed an odd bulge in the general vicinity of a woman's waist, it would be rude to comment on it. :)

Then again, I don't live in the South anymore and who knows what level of rudeness folks here might find acceptable.
« Last Edit: May 22, 2012, 11:24:28 PM by cosine »
America is at that awkward stage; It's too late to work within the system, but too early to shoot the bastards. ~ Claire Wolfe

AJ Dual

• friends
  • Shoe Ballistics Inc.
« Reply #9 on: May 23, 2012, 12:55:16 AM »
I've long thought about marketing a product called "Plausible Denial" or "PD" for short.

It would be a hermetically sealed plastic packet full of long shelf-life sterile irradiated mashed foodstuffs, lightly scented with mercaptins and hydrogen sulfide.

It's clipped on or around the area of your chosen holster location. And if someone were to ask you what it was, you fumble at the location, pop the packet of "PD" and say it's your colostomy bag.

I promise not to duck.

Monkeyleg

• friend
  • Tattaglia is a pimp.
    • http://www.gunshopfinder.com
« Reply #10 on: May 23, 2012, 01:40:10 AM »
AJ, I thought about that many years ago (but without all of the fancy chemical names). I still think it's a viable idea.

gunsmith

• I forgot to get vaccinated!
  • friend
  • I'm sorry, Dave. I'm afraid I can't do that.
« Reply #11 on: May 23, 2012, 01:46:17 AM »
I tried using a regular fanny pack when I was a taxi driver in Reno, I had forgotten to zip the fanny pack closed and jumped out to help a fare put his families suitcases in the trunk, the sp101 I had at the time fell out and landed loudly on the street. He looked at me I looked at him then I put it back and no one said anything. .... He tipped me very well however.
And if someone were to ask you what it was, you fumble at the location, pop the packet of "PD" and say it's your colostomy bag.
:lol: :lol: :cool: :cool:

I used that excuse once!!! Someone bumped into me then patted the concealed full sized glock in a galco retention holster-"what's that?" they asked "my colostomy bag" I said and the conversation stopped dead...
Politicians and bureaucrats are considered productive if they swarm the populace like a plague of locust, devouring all substance in their path and leaving a swath of destruction like a firestorm. The technical term is "bipartisanship".
Rocket Man: "The need for booster shots for the immunized has always been based on the science.  Political science, not medical science."

gunsmith

• I forgot to get vaccinated!
  • friend
  • I'm sorry, Dave. I'm afraid I can't do that.
« Reply #12 on: May 23, 2012, 02:34:15 AM »
got tired of mismatched clothing so I do a lot of open carrying in hot weather.
Politicians and bureaucrats are considered productive if they swarm the populace like a plague of locust, devouring all substance in their path and leaving a swath of destruction like a firestorm. The technical term is "bipartisanship".
Rocket Man: "The need for booster shots for the immunized has always been based on the science.  Political science, not medical science."

French G.

• friend
  • ohhh sparkles!
« Reply #13 on: May 23, 2012, 03:32:32 AM »
Well, I can achieve 80% of folks not noticing while open carrying, so I don't sweat it. People are oblivious.
AKA Navy Joe   

I'm so contrarian that I didn't respond to the thread.

RoadKingLarry

• friends
« Reply #14 on: May 23, 2012, 04:44:40 AM »
On a slightly related note...
Tuesday last I attended a funeral for my neighbors wife.
A friend of mine was seated 2 pews up and as he sat down his pistol was plainly visible through his light colored and slightly too snug polo shirt. I'm pretty sure it was a barretta M9.
After the service we were milling about outside the church and I casually and privately let him know he was printing, heck he was embossing.
If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude better than the animating contest of freedom, go home from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or your arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains set lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that you were our countrymen.

Samuel Adams

Tallpine

• friends
  • Grumpy Old Grandpa
« Reply #15 on: May 23, 2012, 08:49:02 AM »
Well, I can achieve 80% of folks not noticing while open carrying, so I don't sweat it. People are oblivious.

This ....   =)
Freedom is a heavy load, a great and strange burden for the spirit to undertake. It is not easy. It is not a gift given, but a choice made, and the choice may be a hard one. The road goes upward toward the light; but the laden traveller may never reach the end of it.  - Ursula Le Guin

zahc

• friend
« Reply #16 on: May 23, 2012, 11:08:45 AM »
I don't normally fidgit with my holster, but I have get to find a holster that I really trust to retain my weapon if I have to run. I know there's always thumb-break holsters, but I don't really those. I don't like having the gun strapped in, so I always have to hold my side when I run which is pretty conspicuous.
Maybe a rare occurence, but then you only have to get murdered once to ruin your whole day.
--Tallpine

HankB

• friend
« Reply #17 on: May 23, 2012, 12:16:37 PM »
I used that excuse once!!! Someone bumped into me then patted the concealed full sized glock in a galco retention holster-"what's that?" they asked "my colostomy bag" I said and the conversation stopped dead...
I said "A medical device for hemorrhaging" . . . which also stopped the conversation.
Trump won in 2016. Democrats haven't been so offended since Republicans came along and freed their slaves.
Sometimes I wonder if the world is being run by smart people who are putting us on, or by imbeciles who really mean it. - Mark Twain
Government is a broker in pillage, and every election is a sort of advance auction in stolen goods. - H.L. Mencken
Patriotism is supporting your country all the time, and your government when it deserves it. - Mark Twain

mtnbkr

• friend
« Reply #18 on: May 23, 2012, 12:31:49 PM »
I've been carrying for 12 years and have never had anyone other than friends who had CCWs themselves say anything.  The last time was over a year ago when a friend and I stopped at a Burger King after hunting.  He pointed out that my S&W 696 was printing.  Prior to that, it had to be several years at least.  Even my wife doesn't say anything unless she puts her arms around me and feels the gun (not *that* gun!).  Other folks are oblivious.

I don't worry about it anymore.  VA is an open-carry state, so I'm good if concealed or if gun is showing.

Chris

230RN

• saw it coming.
  • friend
  • ...shall not be allowed.
« Reply #19 on: May 24, 2012, 08:08:27 AM »
I don't worry about it anymore.  VA is an open-carry state, so I'm good if concealed or if gun is showing.

This, ditto for Colorado.  I usually carry "casually concealed," inside the waistband (IWB) under an open vest or light jacket, and I have no doubt that it's been spotted, but nobody has said anything.  I do double-check it for security when exiting a vehicle, but that's a special case.

I also find that I sometimes have to pull in my belt another notch when I'm getting out of the car if I'm carrying a heavier gun.  It seems the belt sort of "settles in" after a time and I have to move the buckle from the "habitual" notch --if that makes sense.  Or, it may be the fat "settling in."

Otherwise, I forget it's there. 

It's sort of like not being conscious all the time that you're wearing shoes. Or, I speculate, a bra.

In Denver, I take extra care in concealment by buttoning my vest and the like or using an ankle rig since open carry is still illegal in that city.

Terry, 230RN

« Last Edit: May 24, 2012, 08:25:22 AM by 230RN »
WHATEVER YOUR DEFINITION OF "INFRINGE " IS, YOU SHOULDN'T BE DOING IT.

Jamisjockey

• Booze-fueled paragon of pointless cruelty and wanton sadism
  • friend
  • Your mom sends me care packages
« Reply #20 on: May 24, 2012, 08:22:05 AM »
If you let Jamis pick out your t-shirts, no one will ever spot your gun.....

The art of distraction!
JD

The price of a lottery ticket seems to be the maximum most folks are willing to risk toward the dream of becoming a one-percenter. “Robert Hollis”

seeker_two

• friend
  • In short, most intelligence is false.
« Reply #21 on: May 24, 2012, 08:23:16 AM »
I said "A medical device for hemorrhaging" . . . which also stopped the conversation.

"Wound care drainage device" also works....  =D
Impressed yet befogged, they grasped at his vivid leading phrases, seeing only their surface meaning, and missing the deeper current of his thought.

MechAg94

• friend
« Reply #22 on: May 24, 2012, 09:06:26 AM »
Since it is hotter down here, I normally carry with a holster around back with a T-shirt with shorts or jeans.  The biggest issue is picking T-shirts that are not clingy or too snug around the waist.  Some types of fabrics just love to bunch up around the grip.

I think most of those examples in the link are just common nervous thoughts of someone who doesn't carry much.  I think most poeple are just not paying attention.
“It is much more important to kill bad bills than to pass good ones.”  ― Calvin Coolidge