Author Topic: Keeping Obama Honest  (Read 3282 times)

Lonest@r

Keeping Obama Honest
« on: November 08, 2008, 09:56:19 AM »
Here's one of my email/blog/rants.

Well the election is over, finally, so what does that mean for us.  Guess we can get back to watching our regularly scheduled programs without political interuption, yeah...

Really, what do we have to look forward  to with Obama?  I thought he sounded good, charismatic well spoken, possibly someone who could even unite the country.  Like I said before, I really like didn't like, or feel I could support, either candidate, the economy is screwed up, both voted for bailout and neither had a plan, and nobody really wants to fight a war,  so I simply voted for the guy who's other issues (abortion, 2A, ect.) were more inline with mine, not that I actually felt confident in my choice, just a little more comfortable.   

So, lets keep Obama to his word about being bi-partisan, smaller government and for the people.  Nevermind the Bill Ayers and Rev Wright accusations, lets say those were bad acquaintances from his past, lets look at what he has done during campaign, is doing, and will do.......

For starters, lets look at campaign spending.
http://www.opensecrets.org/pres08/index.php?cycle=2008&type=SF
http://www.opensecrets.org/pres08/alsorans.php
Why didn't the candidates fund the bailout?

And who is he bringing into his office/cabinet? Rahm Emanual aka. Rahm-bo knows how to get things done.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Rahm_Emanuel
http://www.ontheissues.org/IL/Rahm_Emanuel.htm
Makes sense to get someone that knows how to get things done, but I think the fact that he is Isreali Jewish made him a very political choice. 

He is not considered bi-partisan.
In 2007, Emanuel Voted With The Democrats 98 Percent Of The Time. (Congressional Quarterly Website, www.cq.com, Accessed 10/31/08)
In 2006, Emanuel Voted With The Democrats 92 Percent Of The Time. (Congressional Quarterly Website, www.cq.com, Accessed 10/31/08)
In 2005, Emanuel Voted With The Democrats 95 Percent Of The Time. (Congressional Quarterly Website, www.cq.com, Accessed 10/31/08)
In 2004, Emanuel Voted With The Democrats 97 Percent Of The Time. (Congressional Quarterly Website, www.cq.com, Accessed 10/31/08)
In 2003, Emanuel Voted With The Democrats 95 Percent Of The Time. (Congressional Quarterly Website, www.cq.com, Accessed 10/31/08)

“‘I’ll tell you this,’ Emanuel shouted out to his staff. ‘The Republicans may have the 72-hour program. But they have not seen the 22-month program! … Since my kids are gone, I can say it: They can go —- themselves!’”(Naftali Bendavid, “The House That Rahm Built,” Chicago Tribune, 11/12/06)

What about finanancial interests?
He left the White House to accept a well-paid position at Dresdner Kleinwort investment bank in Chicago, where he worked from 1999 to 2002 and reportedly earned US$18 million.[9] Emanuel was named to the Board of Directors for the Federal Home Loan Mortgage Corporation ("Freddie Mac") by then President Bill Clinton in 2000.

Financial Services Modernization Act, enacted November 12, 1999

What about government spending?
Voted NO on retaining reduced taxes on capital gains & dividends. (Dec 2005)
Voted NO on providing tax relief and simplification. (Sep 2004)
Voted NO on making permanent an increase in the child tax credit. (May 2004)
Voted NO on permanently eliminating the marriage penalty. (Apr 2004)
Rated 23% by NTU, indicating a "Big Spender" on tax votes. (Dec 2003)
Rated 100% by the CTJ, indicating support of progressive taxation. (Dec 2006)

HMMM, Sounds like the same ole political rhetoric to get elected.  Already heard he is trying to downplay his expectations that everyone has pinned their HOPES and DREAMS on.   Maybe I'll vote Nader in 2012 just out of principle.

dogmush

• friend
Re: Keeping Obama Honest
« Reply #1 on: November 08, 2008, 10:04:27 AM »
Keeping Obama Honest

While you're at it, I have some water over here I'd really like to see turned to wine.

ronnyreagan

« Reply #2 on: November 08, 2008, 06:24:00 PM »
So, lets keep Obama to his word about being bi-partisan

While most politicians talk of bipartisanship, it does not seem to be common practice as of late. Politics seems to be more of a winner take all game. Remember Bush's "Mandate"?  It does not seem particularly important to people anyway:

I DO NOT CARE ABOUT BIPARTISANSHIP. AT ALL. The only reason you should be reaching to the other side of the aisle is to choke someone.
You have to respect the president, whether you agree with him or not.
Obama, however, is not the president since a Kenyan cannot legally be the U.S. President ;/

taurusowner

« Reply #3 on: November 08, 2008, 06:40:40 PM »
To me, bipartisanship is showing the other side you're right.  Throwing away your ideals to make the other side feel happy is stupid.  In the end, there really is only one right way, and the rest are wrong.  Pursuing the correct course is far more important than making the other side feel good.

gunsmith

• I forgot to get vaccinated!
  • friend
  • I'm sorry, Dave. I'm afraid I can't do that.
« Reply #4 on: November 08, 2008, 06:46:49 PM »
To "keep" someone honest implies he was honest to begin with.
Obama wasn't ever honest.
Politicians and bureaucrats are considered productive if they swarm the populace like a plague of locust, devouring all substance in their path and leaving a swath of destruction like a firestorm. The technical term is "bipartisanship".
Rocket Man: "The need for booster shots for the immunized has always been based on the science.  Political science, not medical science."

Manedwolf

• friend
« Reply #5 on: November 08, 2008, 07:50:26 PM »
Keep a Chicago politician honest?

Can you make a snail stop leaving slime?

Don't care

« Reply #6 on: November 08, 2008, 07:57:18 PM »
How many politicians, wherever they may hail, are honest or kept honest?

I'm sure that there may be some, but somehow, their names escape me.

RaspberrySurprise

• friend
  • Yub yub Commander
« Reply #7 on: November 08, 2008, 07:58:13 PM »
Keep a Chicago politician honest?

Can you make a snail stop leaving slime?

You can with a hammer or some salt.
Look, tiny text!

taurusowner

« Reply #8 on: November 08, 2008, 08:13:40 PM »

I'm not a Paulian by any sense, but I'm pretty sure Ron Paul is one of the more honest ones.

Manedwolf

• friend
« Reply #9 on: November 08, 2008, 10:36:29 PM »
I'm not a Paulian by any sense, but I'm pretty sure Ron Paul is one of the more honest ones.

Nope. He did his share of pork.

GigaBuist

• friends
    • http://www.justinbuist.org/blog/
« Reply #10 on: November 09, 2008, 01:31:24 AM »
Nope. He did his share of pork.

He's quite honest about that one.  He'll shovel pork projects into a bill he knows will pass, but doesn't agree with, and then vote against it but his district still gets the funding.

Pork is necessary evil.  We're taxed too much so our congress critters throw in these projects to bring the money back to their district.  If we got rid of the income tax we'd be unable to fund them.  Or, if we got rid of the pork we wouldn't need the income tax.

Pork projects aren't too much of a concern to me unless a district is getting more than they shovel into the system.  It's been a long time now, but I ran the numbers back during the primaries and Paul's district got back about as much money as they put into the system. 

Grylady

« Reply #11 on: November 09, 2008, 02:55:43 PM »

Paul Braun, Georgia 10th District Congressman :cool: