Author Topic: Another conversation with a liberal  (Read 5956 times)

Monkeyleg

• friend
  • Tattaglia is a pimp.
    • http://www.gunshopfinder.com
Another conversation with a liberal
« on: September 03, 2015, 06:17:51 PM »
An ex-neighbor of mine is absolutely the most liberal person I know. He called today. He always wants to talk politics, even though I've asked him not to, as he enrages me. I took the bait, though.

I asked him if he'd seen the Planned Parenthood videos. Notice the twists and turns in his argument.

"I believe every woman has the right to an abortion."

"I'm not talking about abortions, Dave, I'm talking about harvesting baby parts."

"They're not babies. They're fetuses."

"They're human beings. And selling human body parts is a federal crime."

"What about Bush's crimes? His illegal war?"

"I'm not talking about Bush. I"m talking about Planned Parenthood."

"What about the Tuscagee Airmen?"

"Dave, I'm talking about today. Right now. Major federal crimes have been committed and nobody's doing anything."

"The tapes were doctored."

"Have you seen them?"

"No. I  know how this works."

"They haven't been doctored. Besides, you have the top people at Planned Parenthood saying on camera they did this and they did that. That can't be faked. You have them saying on camera they committed major crimes."

"The Koch brothers are going to spend billions buying the next election. That's a crime."

And that's why I don't talk to him often. It is interesting to watch the diversions, though.

vaskidmark

• National Anthem Snob
  • friends
  • WTF?
Re: Another conversation with a liberal
« Reply #1 on: September 03, 2015, 06:25:42 PM »
An ex-neighbor of mine is absolutely the most liberal person I know. He called today. He always wants to talk politics, even though I've asked him not to, as he enrages me. I took the bait, though.

And there is where any sympathy I might have had for you went rushing down the drain so fast it didn't have time to swirl.

If you need someone to come and whack you up side the head we can discuss terms.

stay safe.
If cowardly and dishonorable men sometimes shoot unarmed men with army pistols or guns, the evil must be prevented by the penitentiary and gallows, and not by a general deprivation of a constitutional privilege.

Hey you kids!! Get off my lawn!!!

They keep making this eternal vigilance thing harder and harder.  Protecting the 2nd amendment is like playing PACMAN - there's no pause button so you can go to the bathroom.

Fitz

• Face-melter
  • friend
  • Floyd Rose is my homeboy
    • My Book
« Reply #2 on: September 03, 2015, 06:29:26 PM »
i avoid it when possible. You should too. There's no reasoning with morons
Fitz

---------------
I have reached a conclusion regarding every member of this forum.
I no longer respect any of you. I hope the following offends you as much as this thread has offended me:
You are all awful people. I mean this *expletive deleted*ing seriously.

-MicroBalrog

brimic

• friends
« Reply #3 on: September 03, 2015, 06:38:25 PM »
Dang, should have mentioned Sanger set up PP to keep the black population numbers down...then listen for head to explode.  >:D
"now you see that evil will always triumph, because good is dumb" -Dark Helmet

"AK47's belong in the hands of soldiers mexican drug cartels"-
Barack Obama

bedlamite

• Hold my beer and watch this!
  • friend
  • Ack! PLBTTPHBT!
« Reply #4 on: September 03, 2015, 06:58:10 PM »
A plan is just a list of things that doesn't happen.
Is defenestration possible through the overton window?

just Warren

• friend
  • My DJ name is Heavy Cream.
« Reply #5 on: September 03, 2015, 07:24:27 PM »
There is nothing that comes form the left that is worth paying attention to. All their original ideas are stupid, insane or evil. And the stuff they are mostly correct on comes from conservatives or libertarians.

The left is completely useless ideologically. The may have skill sets that pay them and some may be pleasant people but when it comes to philosophy or policy they are a black hole of suck.
Member in Good Standing of the Spontaneous Order of the Invisible Hand.

Perd Hapley

• Superstar of the Internet
  • friend
  • My prepositions are on/in
« Reply #6 on: September 03, 2015, 09:13:30 PM »
Most people argue that way. I've had lots of discussions on this board with people who do pretty much the same thing.
"Doggies are angel babies!" -- my wife

Fitz

• Face-melter
  • friend
  • Floyd Rose is my homeboy
    • My Book
« Reply #7 on: September 03, 2015, 09:14:17 PM »
Most people argue that way. I've had lots of discussions on this board with people who do pretty much the same thing.

OH YEAH WELL WHAT ABOUT THE CRUSADES?
Fitz

---------------
I have reached a conclusion regarding every member of this forum.
I no longer respect any of you. I hope the following offends you as much as this thread has offended me:
You are all awful people. I mean this *expletive deleted*ing seriously.

-MicroBalrog

BlueStarLizzard

• Queen of the Cislords
  • friend
  • Oh please, nobody died last time...
« Reply #8 on: September 03, 2015, 09:21:50 PM »
The issue (and it happens with the hard core any political party, but seems most common with the liberals) seems to be that they can't discuss individual topics on the merit of those topics.
It's all the party line or nothing and when they can't argue one of the topics around to what they want, they bring up all the other stuff.

Which relates to one of the nice things about APS. Most of the folks around here are capable of being critical of their party affiliation (if they even really have on) and can say "I disagree with their stance on this topic"
"Okay, um, I'm lost. Uh, I'm angry, and I'm armed, so if you two have something that you need to work out --" -Malcolm Reynolds

Tallpine

• friends
  • Grumpy Old Grandpa
« Reply #9 on: September 03, 2015, 09:29:45 PM »
The issue (and it happens with the hard core any political party, but seems most common with the liberals) seems to be that they can't discuss individual topics on the merit of those topics.
It's all the party line or nothing and when they can't argue one of the topics around to what they want, they bring up all the other stuff.

Which relates to one of the nice things about APS. Most of the folks around here are capable of being critical of their party affiliation (if they even really have on) and can say "I disagree with their stance on this topic"

I only support Republicans/conservatives to the point that they are "not quite as bad" as the opposition, at least on things most relevant to me personally.

But really - it's a damned poor choice between the Welfare-Warfare party and the Warfare-Welfare party  :facepalm:

Only much difference is in the things they want to ban  =(
Freedom is a heavy load, a great and strange burden for the spirit to undertake. It is not easy. It is not a gift given, but a choice made, and the choice may be a hard one. The road goes upward toward the light; but the laden traveller may never reach the end of it.  - Ursula Le Guin

roo_ster

• Kakistocracy--It's What's For Dinner.
  • friend
  • Hoist the black flag, and begin slitting throats
Re: Re: Another conversation with a liberal
« Reply #10 on: September 03, 2015, 10:22:24 PM »
I only support Republicans/conservatives to the point that they are "not quite as bad" as the opposition, at least on things most relevant to me personally.

But really - it's a damned poor choice between the Welfare-Warfare party and the Warfare-Welfare party  :facepalm:

Only much difference is in the things they want to ban  =(
Tallpine
Invade the world, invite the world, in hock to the world.

Monkeyleg
You can not reason with some folk as they are not capable of reasoning.
Regards,

roo_ster

“Fallacies do not cease to be fallacies because they become fashions.”
----G.K. Chesterton

Monkeyleg

• friend
  • Tattaglia is a pimp.
« Reply #11 on: September 04, 2015, 06:36:30 AM »

The age-old attorneys' tactic: if you have the facts, argue the facts; if you have the evidence, argue the evidence; if you have neither, pound the table.

Kingcreek

• friend
« Reply #12 on: September 04, 2015, 09:44:00 AM »
My father-in-law is a hopeless idiot urban liberal. He used to try to bait me into his arguments all the time but thankfully he gave up over 20 years ago.
What we have here is failure to communicate.

230RN

• saw it coming.
  • friend
  • ...shall not be allowed.
« Reply #13 on: September 04, 2015, 09:57:53 AM »

This.  So much this.  Thank you, Liz.
WHATEVER YOUR DEFINITION OF "INFRINGE " IS, YOU SHOULDN'T BE DOING IT.

AJ Dual

• friends
  • Shoe Ballistics Inc.
« Reply #14 on: September 04, 2015, 12:13:21 PM »
If you have the intestinal fortitude for it, you can keep pinning them down to the one single point.

It is torture for them.
I promise not to duck.

MechAg94

• friend
« Reply #15 on: September 04, 2015, 12:48:58 PM »
I have seen others that were not necessarily liberal argue that way.  They completely ignore points where they are obviously wrong and cannot argue so try to pick out any minor thing to pounce on that will allow them to continue arguing so they can say they won when you get tired of it.  I always figured it was some sort of debate tactic people are taught.  I think it is partly the difference between discussing a topic and debating a topic. 
“It is much more important to kill bad bills than to pass good ones.”  ― Calvin Coolidge

AJ Dual

• friends
  • Shoe Ballistics Inc.
« Reply #16 on: September 04, 2015, 01:37:39 PM »
I have seen others that were not necessarily liberal argue that way.  They completely ignore points where they are obviously wrong and cannot argue so try to pick out any minor thing to pounce on that will allow them to continue arguing so they can say they won when you get tired of it.  I always figured it was some sort of debate tactic people are taught.  I think it is partly the difference between discussing a topic and debating a topic. 

It's just human nature when you've got a nebulous and holistic attachment to an ideology, because it's really an emotional investment in identity politics, rather than something build on A follows B, which must follow C, or 1+1=2 type of reasoning.

Or, you get a single-issue voter/identifier, who agrees with just one thing that has gotten placed under the Left's tent, like their union, women's rights, gay rights etc. but they may not agree with any of the other planks in the platform, or are at best neutral on them.

A lot of us have the relative or acquaintance who's a blue-collar union worker, but is right of Attila the Hun on everything else and votes Democrat, or maybe the religious person who's concept of Christian charity make them to the left of Lenin, but their abhorrence of abortion makes them pull the lever for the GOP every time.
I promise not to duck.

Scout26

• I'm a leaf on the wind.
  • friend
  • I spent a week in that town one night....
« Reply #17 on: September 04, 2015, 02:48:34 PM »
Monkeyleg,

You need to find a brick wall nearby and discuss these issues with it.    Failing that you you can always just pound your head on it.*   Both have about the same result.

*- Do you now what the nice thing about pounding your head against a wall is?

It feels good when you stop.  ;)
Some days even my lucky rocketship underpants won't help.

Bring me my Broadsword and a clear understanding.
Get up to the roundhouse on the cliff-top standing.
Take women and children and bed them down.
Bless with a hard heart those that stand with me.
Bless the women and children who firm our hands.
Put our backs to the north wind.
Hold fast by the river.
Sweet memories to drive us on,
for the motherland.

Monkeyleg

• friend
  • Tattaglia is a pimp.
« Reply #18 on: September 04, 2015, 04:12:35 PM »
Monkeyleg,

You need to find a brick wall nearby and discuss these issues with it.    Failing that you you can always just pound your head on it.*   Both have about the same result.

*- Do you now what the nice thing about pounding your head against a wall is?

It feels good when you stop.  ;)

That joke was old when I was young. ;)

Perd Hapley

• Superstar of the Internet
  • friend
  • My prepositions are on/in
« Reply #19 on: September 04, 2015, 07:11:27 PM »
That joke was old when I was young. ;)

Well, they've finally translated it from the original Sanskrit, so you can enjoy it all over again.
"Doggies are angel babies!" -- my wife

Monkeyleg

• friend
  • Tattaglia is a pimp.
« Reply #20 on: September 04, 2015, 08:01:59 PM »
Well, they've finally translated it from the original Sanskrit, so you can enjoy it all over again.

Yeah, Sanskrit was a huge improvement over Phrygian. I nearly doubled my reading speed.

vaskidmark

• National Anthem Snob
  • friends
  • WTF?
« Reply #21 on: September 04, 2015, 08:22:27 PM »
You ever try reading cuneiform written by a guy with the hiccups?

stay safe.
If cowardly and dishonorable men sometimes shoot unarmed men with army pistols or guns, the evil must be prevented by the penitentiary and gallows, and not by a general deprivation of a constitutional privilege.

Hey you kids!! Get off my lawn!!!

They keep making this eternal vigilance thing harder and harder.  Protecting the 2nd amendment is like playing PACMAN - there's no pause button so you can go to the bathroom.

TommyGunn

• friend
  • Stuck in full auto since birth.
« Reply #22 on: September 04, 2015, 11:39:41 PM »
You ever try reading cuneiform written by a guy with the hiccups?

stay safe.

Better than a dyslexic .... [tinfoil]
MOLON LABE   "Through ignorance of what is good and what is bad, the life of men is greatly perplexed." ~~ Cicero

230RN

• saw it coming.
  • friend
  • ...shall not be allowed.
« Reply #23 on: September 08, 2015, 03:27:07 AM »
I have seen others that were not necessarily liberal argue that way.  They completely ignore points where they are obviously wrong and cannot argue so try to pick out any minor thing to pounce on that will allow them to continue arguing so they can say they won when you get tired of it.  I always figured it was some sort of debate tactic people are taught.  I think it is partly the difference between discussing a topic and debating a topic. 

That's not uncommon.  There was a guy whosenameIwillnotmention who used to do that, and he was even nominally pro-gun.  He'd even jump on mispellings as if catching that completely destroyed your argument.  He was booted off two boards, if I recall correctly, for his obnoxity.

I got the distinct impression that he was only arguing for the sake of arguing and "making points," regardless of the positions involved in what was really only a discussion.

Like, "Team A will take the .45 side, Team B, you will take the 9mm position."

Terry
WHATEVER YOUR DEFINITION OF "INFRINGE " IS, YOU SHOULDN'T BE DOING IT.

Doggy Daddy

• Poobah
  • friend
  • From the saner side of Las Vegas
« Reply #24 on: September 08, 2015, 08:24:29 AM »
...There was a guy whosenameIwillnotmention ...

:rofl:    :rofl:    :rofl:    :rofl:
Would you exchange
a walk-on part in a war
for a lead role in a cage?
-P.F.