Author Topic: Vicente Foxs address to a joint session of the California Legislature  (Read 809 times)

Typhoon

• friend
So, President Fox just concluded his joint address to the Legislature, where he graciously expressed his appreciation for his invitation.  I wasnt able to witness the complete address and will have to read the entire transcript (I will post a link as soon as one becomes available).  

From what I was able to hear though, some themes came through quite clearly.

1)  He seems to have toned down his rhetoric a bit.  He is still referring to the United States efforts to control its own border as a management of migration policy, as opposed to securing the border and stopping the flow of illegal immigration. However, quite of bit of hot air was spent discussing all the educational reforms, job creation efforts and economic progress he has made during his X years as Mexicos president (I think six).  

2)  Ive heard a lot of campaign speeches, and part of his address clearly was one.  There are elections coming up in Mexico, and one wonders exactly for whom this address was meant.  A big issue in Mexico seems to be what the elected Mexican administration plans to do to ensure the safety and well-being of Mexican citizens now currently residing in the United States.  Pretty amazing, if you think about it&No, dont.  Itll give you a headache.

3)  Not verbatim, but close:  Both countries must do their share, bilaterally, in the management of migration policy.  This is to ensure the rights, safety and security of citizens on both sides.  Uh huh.  To that end, he hit hard on economic issues: NAFTA and the free flow of commerce.  He made just a nodding acknowledgment to the drug and crime problems that exist on the border, and almost no real reference to the terrorist threat.  He maintained that an open border, based on economic considerations, is quite fine for U.S./Mexico relations.  Mutual security and prosperity.  He did make an aside that Mexico supports the United States right to enforce its own laws.  Decent of him.  I guess he just wants U.S. laws changed for his countrys benefit.

4)  Human rights, human rights, and oh, did I mention, human rights?  Clearly playing to his audience on this one.  

Just my first take on his address.  Fox got a standing ovation from many in the Legislature.
To the stars!

Preacherman

Vicente Foxs address to a joint session of the California Legislature
« Reply #1 on: May 25, 2006, 06:17:48 PM »
Fox got a standing ovation from many in the Legislature.
Probably because many of them represent his constituents . . .  rolleyes
Let's put the fun back in dysfunctional!

Please visit my blog: http://bayourenaissanceman.blogspot.com/

Standing Wolf

• friend
« Reply #2 on: May 26, 2006, 05:12:50 PM »
Fox got a standing ovation from many in the Legislature.
In the United States, he'd have been tarred, feathered, and ridden out of town on a railand deservedly so.
No tyrant should ever be allowed to die of natural causes.

« Reply #3 on: May 26, 2006, 05:47:52 PM »
he shoulda tried that *expletive deleted*it in the buckeye state....

Phyphor

• friend
« Reply #4 on: May 26, 2006, 07:39:54 PM »
God, where's a well-tied noose when one needs one?
"You know what's messed-up about taxes?
You don't even pay taxes. They take tax.
You get your check, money gone.
That ain't a payment, that's a jack." - Chris Rock "Bigger and Blacker"
He slapped his rifle. "This is one of the best arguments for peace there is. Nobody wants to shoot if somebody is going to shoot back. " Callaghen, Callaghen, Louis La'mour