Author Topic: Swiss Army Knife Help  (Read 2235 times)

Typhoon

• friend
Swiss Army Knife Help
« on: April 06, 2005, 01:18:42 PM »
Advice, please.  

At the beach last night, I dropped my Swiss Army knife into the sand.  Now, the danged thing is completely full of the gritty, sandy stuff, and I am not sure as to the best way to clean it.  

Rinse it out with water, and then lubricate with what?  

Blast WD40 into it?  Follow with a lubricant?  Again, what?  

Thanks for any ideas&
To the stars!

Happy Bob

• friend
Swiss Army Knife Help
« Reply #1 on: April 06, 2005, 04:14:23 PM »
Blast WD40 into it?  Follow with a lubricant?
You've got it; that'll work. I've done it myself.

Edited to add -- it's probably obvious to you, but I'll write it down anyway: wear eye protection as you spray it out. Those little crannies show a remarkable ability to redirect the spray right into your eyes.
WE DON'T WEAR FUR.
(We have it made into Cowboy Hats)

Standing Wolf

• friend
Swiss Army Knife Help
« Reply #2 on: April 06, 2005, 05:59:37 PM »
I've been using good old Hoppe's No. 9 to clean knives for decades.
No tyrant should ever be allowed to die of natural causes.

Chris

Swiss Army Knife Help
« Reply #3 on: April 07, 2005, 08:13:51 AM »
You need the pressure to force it out, so the WD-40 is good.  Actually, when I did the same thing, I started with a good soap and water washing in the kitchen sink, and used an old toothbrush as well, and worked the hinges opena dn shut while holding the knife under the running tap.  It not only got most of the sand out, but also got rid of the remnants from the salt water.  Then, I went with the WD-40, and worked the hinges more, until I finally felt that most of the grit was out of the hinges when I opened and closed the blades/tools.  Take your time, be patient, and you'll be fine.

Happy Bob

• friend
Swiss Army Knife Help
« Reply #4 on: April 07, 2005, 04:02:05 PM »
Good point about the salt, cas.
WE DON'T WEAR FUR.
(We have it made into Cowboy Hats)

Jamisjockey

• Booze-fueled paragon of pointless cruelty and wanton sadism
  • friend
  • Your mom sends me care packages
Swiss Army Knife Help
« Reply #5 on: April 07, 2005, 08:15:49 PM »
Open all the utensils.  Put it in the dishwasher, heated drying cycle.  Try and force some air into it (they sell little cans for cleaning electronics) Lube with good ole gun lube afterwards.
JD

The price of a lottery ticket seems to be the maximum most folks are willing to risk toward the dream of becoming a one-percenter. “Robert Hollis”

...has left the building.

Swiss Army Knife Help
« Reply #6 on: April 08, 2005, 07:00:06 AM »
If I'm ever near sand I carry a knife that can be taken apart completely. I learned my lesson the hard way when I got my SAK Soldier full of sand. For some reason, under the screwdriver was really hard to clean out.

Swiss Army Knife Help
« Reply #7 on: April 08, 2005, 10:02:04 PM »
you may want to hold off on the WD40 or any solvent as the red plastic scapes may not take too kindly to the solvent.

Fill the sink with soapy water and swish the thing around vigerously.  The try opening it up and swish again.  Follow with rinsing under the fawcet.  Repeat until the grit is gone.  final rinse under the fawcet and then blow dry and apply light oil.