Author Topic: anyone been to Boundary Waters in MN?  (Read 746 times)

Ukraine Train

• friend
    • http://ukrainetrain21.tripod.com
anyone been to Boundary Waters in MN?
« on: July 24, 2006, 03:56:16 PM »
A few friends and I want to go backpacking there next summer. I don't know much about the area but hear it's great. Can anyone share some experiences?

« Reply #1 on: July 24, 2006, 04:34:58 PM »
years ago I did some canoeing, very beautiful. Isle Royal National park is not in the Boundary Park but is really a treat. I think they limit visiters to control the wear on the place. i remember climbing down a cliff face on iron rods anchored into it and finding a beatiful cold weather swamp. We walked across on a half sunken boardwalk, it was like something out of A Conan DOYLES " THE LOST WORLD'.

charby

• Necromancer
  • Administrator
  • APS's Resident Sikh/Muslim
« Reply #2 on: July 24, 2006, 05:48:11 PM »
Funny a couple of my friends are thinking about doing the same thing and we're first timers to Boundary Waters. So I am interested too, we're thinking about a intermediate route over 5-7 days, not to simple/lazy but not too hard either. If we enjoy ourselves then we will go back and do a longer harder trip.

-C
Iowa- 88% more livable that the rest of the US

Uranus is a gas giant.

Team 444: Member# 536

El Tejon

• friend
    • http://www.kirkfreemanlaw.com
« Reply #3 on: July 25, 2006, 03:31:58 AM »
Black Sparkletails absolutely killed the walleyes!  I cannot get anything else to work up there (at least for walleye).  My brother used jigs and leeches and did well one day.

I have caught pike on spoons, but I do not like eating pike, prefer walleye (few I have caught have been hammer handles anywho).  So, get a couple of Black Sparkletails or maybe a dark Rattletrap and have fun.

Make sure you have a decent landing net.  First time I went I used one of those short handled pieces of crap.

Do not go in May.  Fly season and the walleye will not hit as much.
I do not smoke pot, wear Wookie suits, live in my mom's basement, collect unemployment checks or eat Cheetoes, therefore I am not a Ron Paul voter.