Author Topic: Car care question: Front bumper  (Read 1266 times)

Typhoon

• friend
Car care question: Front bumper
« on: May 02, 2005, 09:00:07 AM »
So, I love my Mustang, but I got a serious ding on the crummy front bumper.  At this point, it is just a small chunk that got gouged out, but if left untended, could grow to a large scar.  Meaning:  large flakes of urethane?  polyethelene?  Whatever?

Anyway, does anyone know of some sealant substance that I can paint onto the small ding now, so as to prevent a big problem later?  Since I am a girl, my first thought was nail polish, but I would appreciate advice about something more durable.  I already have the touch-up paint, but this requires more&

Advice appreciated.  

Regards,

Andrea
To the stars!

Harold Tuttle

• Professor Chromedome
  • friend
« Reply #1 on: May 02, 2005, 09:28:09 AM »
i have seen powerwashing get an edge lifted and peel back paint

the problem with most products is the flexable nature of the part
a real plastic bumper paint job has a "flex additive" in the mixture

sealing the area in with touch up paint should be ok

how serious in dimension is a small chunk?
quarter
half dollar
or hand sized?
"The true mad scientist does not make public appearances! He does not wear the "Hello, my name is.." badge!
He strikes from below like a viper or on high like a penny dropped from the tallest building around!
He only has one purpose--Do bad things to good people! Mit science! What good is science if no one gets hurt?!"

garyk/nm

• friend
  • shovelbum
« Reply #2 on: May 02, 2005, 09:57:13 AM »
Is this gouge a surface imperfection or a hole in the bumper? Most auto parts stores sell flexible bumper repair material. Any thing up to a quarter-sized hole should be repairable.

Typhoon

• friend
« Reply #3 on: May 02, 2005, 12:19:35 PM »
This is just a small ding (less than 1/4" long and mm wide).  I noticed that the poly-whatever coating on the bumper was prone to flaking off.  I thought that some sort of sealant might correct the problem before it got out of hand.  The bumper itself was not compromised.  

The touch-up paint I got from Ford seemed too thin to stop the "flake" issue.  It seems as if I need some sort of heavier coating "stuff" to stop the "flake."

Am I making any sense at all?  

Thanks -
To the stars!

Black92LX

« Reply #4 on: May 02, 2005, 08:36:58 PM »
post a picture. might be of more help.

alright a girl with a mustang!
But my dreams they aren't as empty
As my conscience seems to be
I have hours, only lonely
My love is vengeance