Author Topic: Internet fraud alert  (Read 6402 times)

JN01

• friend
Internet fraud alert
« on: June 21, 2011, 05:14:31 PM »
Yesterday, I was looking for info on NYPD Blue DVDs to see if they had released any episodes beyond Season 4.  Did a Google search and at the top of the list was a company called Memory Lane DVD, offering the complete series. 

Went to the website, and saw they offered the whole series for like a hundred bucks, so obviously, pirated crap.  Got off the site and went about my business.  Didn't attempt to order anything, didn't give any of my information.

Today, got a call from my credit card fraud division, the scumbags had attempted to stick me with a $71.53 charge for videos.  My card has been cancelled and a new one is on the way.

Norton Anti virus showed it as a "safe" site, it is not. 

mtnbkr

• friend
Re: Internet fraud alert
« Reply #1 on: June 21, 2011, 05:16:39 PM »
Memory Lane DVD, the site you only visited yet didn't provide any info to, tried to charge your card?

Where did they get the info?

Chris

zxcvbob

• friend
« Reply #2 on: June 21, 2011, 05:36:20 PM »
Got a link?   ;)
"It's good, though..."

JN01

• friend
« Reply #3 on: June 21, 2011, 06:22:36 PM »
Memory Lane DVD, the site you only visited yet didn't provide any info to, tried to charge your card?

Where did they get the info?

Dunno.  I assume some sort of spyware.  I'm running scans now, came up with some cookies so far.   

Googled scams involving the company, and found someone else getting bogus charges on their card recently, although they had attempted to order something and provided a card number.

Zardozimo Oprah Bannedalas

• Webley Juggler
  • friend
  • All I got is a fistful of shekels
« Reply #4 on: June 21, 2011, 06:28:18 PM »
Dunno.  I assume some sort of spyware.  I'm running scans now, came up with some cookies so far.   

Googled scams involving the company, and found someone else getting bogus charges on their card recently, although they had attempted to order something and provided a card number.
Sounds more like a stolen credit/debit card (by somebody else) to me. CC companies have a few million numbers + all pertinent account data stolen every few months.

JN01

• friend
« Reply #5 on: June 21, 2011, 06:53:57 PM »
So purely coincidental?  Maybe.  Want to get on the site and try it yourself? >:D

Caveat emptor.

Jamisjockey

• Booze-fueled paragon of pointless cruelty and wanton sadism
  • friend
  • Your mom sends me care packages
« Reply #6 on: June 21, 2011, 07:23:04 PM »
Actually, don't think the poster is a spammer. 
http://www.armedpolitesociety.com/index.php?action=profile;u=1990;sa=showPosts
Actual posting history, including some longer thought out posts.

JN01:
Are you sure you didn't enter any information at their site?  Obviously unless you hit submit, they can't charge you. I'm just wondering what they did to get your CC digits.
JD

The price of a lottery ticket seems to be the maximum most folks are willing to risk toward the dream of becoming a one-percenter. “Robert Hollis”

JN01

• friend
« Reply #7 on: June 21, 2011, 07:40:35 PM »
Didn't enter any information at all, I just looked at the page the Google link sent me to and closed it.  I muddle my was through using the computer, so I really don't know how it happened.  Here is a link to the other scam report I mentioned before: http://www.scambook.com/report/view/347/MemoryLaneDVD.com-Unauthorized-Credit-Card-Charge-for-75.30-on-06-10-2011.  The charge that was attempted on my credit card was from the same "Fashion X" company.

My post was simply an attempt to protect anyone else from potential problems.

gunsmith

• I forgot to get vaccinated!
  • friend
  • I'm sorry, Dave. I'm afraid I can't do that.
« Reply #8 on: June 22, 2011, 12:57:57 AM »
thanks for the heads up, not likely to happen to me though.
my credit is soooooo shot a scam would be more likely to improve my credit. :'(
Politicians and bureaucrats are considered productive if they swarm the populace like a plague of locust, devouring all substance in their path and leaving a swath of destruction like a firestorm. The technical term is "bipartisanship".
Rocket Man: "The need for booster shots for the immunized has always been based on the science.  Political science, not medical science."

vaskidmark

• National Anthem Snob
  • friends
  • WTF?
« Reply #9 on: June 22, 2011, 02:42:41 AM »

Amen, brother!  Preach it!

Have you noticed that at a certain point the offers for pre-approved credit cards stop showing up in the mail, and then the offers for pre-paid cards also stop showing up?  It might be the answer to junk mail.

stay safe.
If cowardly and dishonorable men sometimes shoot unarmed men with army pistols or guns, the evil must be prevented by the penitentiary and gallows, and not by a general deprivation of a constitutional privilege.

Hey you kids!! Get off my lawn!!!

They keep making this eternal vigilance thing harder and harder.  Protecting the 2nd amendment is like playing PACMAN - there's no pause button so you can go to the bathroom.

RoadKingLarry

• friends
« Reply #10 on: June 22, 2011, 04:55:42 AM »

Ever since the hit we took after the wife's heart attack and 2 bypass surgeries I wouldn't mind someone stealing my identity as long as I got to start over. =D
If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude better than the animating contest of freedom, go home from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or your arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains set lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that you were our countrymen.

Samuel Adams

AJ Dual

• friends
  • Shoe Ballistics Inc.
« Reply #11 on: June 22, 2011, 11:44:25 AM »
They try to keep it pretty secure, but it's possible that site or some other tried to lift the saved forms data from the browser, which may have had credit card entries in them.
I promise not to duck.