Author Topic: Vegas strip mass shooting!  (Read 56759 times)

Perd Hapley

• Superstar of the Internet
  • friend
  • My prepositions are on/in
Re: Vegas strip mass shooting!
« Reply #125 on: October 03, 2017, 09:40:25 AM »

If we had sensible gun laws in this country, the shooter would have merely tickled the victims with feathery-soft, civilian-grade projectiles.

Now this just cracks me right up:
https://twitchy.com/gregp-3534/2017/10/03/piers-morgan-beclowns-himself-again-on-guns-this-time-dropping-the-muslim-card/

And, as always, left-wing hypocrisy
http://www.dailywire.com/news/21854/report-jimmy-kimmel-bulks-his-security-he-lectures-amanda-prestigiacomo
« Last Edit: October 03, 2017, 09:57:49 AM by fistful »
"Doggies are angel babies!" -- my wife

TechMan

• Administrator
  • Yes, your moderation has been outsourced.
« Reply #126 on: October 03, 2017, 10:12:33 AM »
Let the tinfoilers come out:  https://squawker.org/politics/4chanvegas/  [tinfoil] [tinfoil]
Hawkmoon - Never underestimate another person's capacity for stupidity. Any time you think someone can't possibly be that dumb ... they'll prove you wrong.

Bacon and Eggs - A day's work for a chicken; A lifetime commitment for a pig.
Stupidity will always be its own reward.
Bad decisions make good stories.

Viking - The problem with the modern world is that there aren't really any predators eating stupid people.

freakazoid

• friend
« Reply #127 on: October 03, 2017, 10:42:27 AM »
Also I just saw Trump on the teevee just before leaving for his trip to PR. He said, "We're going to have a conversation on gun control." I don't know what that will mean.

Hopefully it's something like what he did that time and tricked the reporters into thinking he was going to discuss something else, and talks about how guns aren't the issue.
"so I ended up getting the above because I didn't want to make a whole production of sticking something between my knees and cranking. To me, the cranking on mine is pretty effortless, at least on the coarse setting. Maybe if someone has arthritis or something, it would be more difficult for them." - Ben

"I see a rager at least once a week." - brimic

Hawkmoon

• friend
« Reply #128 on: October 03, 2017, 10:43:36 AM »
Also I just saw Trump on the teevee just before leaving for his trip to PR. He said, "We're going to have a conversation on gun control." I don't know what that will mean.

You got me worried with this one. My e-mail to the President:

Mr. President:

Like most Americans (other than Democrats, who are secretly celebrating), I was shocked by the massacre in Las Vegas Sunday night. As tragic as the incident was, I can't help observing that the Democrats didn't even wait for the bodies to cool before beginning their predictable campaign to use the incident to promote their anti-gun, anti-Constitution agenda. So far, it appears that the firearms used were all purchased legally and that none of the "common sense" gun control measures being promoted by the Democrats could in any way have prevented this cowardly attack.

Mr. President, I read that you (or your spokesperson) said there will be a conversation on gun control. Sir, I beg you ... I implore you ... please DO NOT cave in to the gun grabbers. I am not a "gun nut." I am a senior citizen, a Vietnam veteran who swore an oath 51 years ago to protect and to defend the Constitution of the United States, and a direct descendant of a Chief Justice of the United States Supreme Court. Our Constitution is sacred to me, as I hope it is to you. You also swore an oath of office to protect and to defend the Constitution. The Democrats in Congress also swore such an oath, but they have forsworn their oaths a long time ago.

Mr. President, we don't need a conversation on gun control. What we need is a conversation on left-wing, liberal, "antifa" rhetoric that encourages and celebrates violence against anyone who doesn't agree with them -- all the while claiming that it is your administration and your supporters who are to blame for all violence in society.

Enough! We don't need more gun control. What we need is media control. There needs to be a national conversation on how much freedom of the press should be allowed when the press stops being an organ of objectivity and becomes the de facto  propaganda machine for the extreme fringe of one political party.

Respectfully,
[Me]
- - - - - - - - - - - - -
100% Politically Incorrect by Design

AJ Dual

• friends
  • Shoe Ballistics Inc.
« Reply #129 on: October 03, 2017, 10:58:13 AM »

1. I think it means he's stalling. Which is a good sign.
2. It matters more what Congress does than Trump.
3. It would be inconsistent for Trump to ban stuff by EO like Obama tried to do.

And meh... I still think the "emotional algebra" of mass shootings, a grade schooler is "worth" 10x an adult. And considering Sandy Hook happened under Obama's watch and Democrat control... I am not that worried.

Honestly, any "panic" over this is going to help the gun industry over the hump of the "Trump Glut" a bit.

HPA might be dead.  Shrug. That would suck, but only in the sense of status-quo, not in terms of a "loss".

Losing bumpfire stocks and trigger cranks would be a PITA. But I wouldn't be overly concerned. I think most people always figure that bumpfire, cranks, binary triggers are always hanging by a thread with the ATF as it is. And yes, there's obviously the "You don't have to justify "needs" vs. "wants." aspect of freedom, but IMO, the real utility of a bumpfire stock is for a near total SHTF event, and only then in the obscenely rare circumstance simulating FA is going to be of some sort of benefit to you and your family.

I'm just not feeling a ton of gun control worry right now.

And I've noticed that since Sandy Hook, there's an undertone of "There's nothing to be done" even from the anti's as they make their gun control pleas.
I promise not to duck.

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
« Reply #130 on: October 03, 2017, 10:59:46 AM »
Hopefully it's something like what he did that time and tricked the reporters into thinking he was going to discuss something else, and talks about how guns aren't the issue.

I'm going to guess and say that he'll "work with dems" as far as something like banning bump stocks and similar. As I mentioned in an earlier post, I'm seeing that as an easy giveaway for Rs because it only affects a very limited number of gunowners. I'm not for it mind you, but I believe the Rs will cave on something.

Though I am worried on both the suppressor bill due to uneducated loudmouths like Hillary, and also the national reciprocity bill. While neither has anything to do with this incident, that never seems to stop the grabbers. All you have to do is look at the comments, after it was reported that he had "OMG scopes" in the room, that were saying, "What if he had used a scope on the machine guns?" Because scopes and recoil go so well together.  ;/

Edit: AJ covered some of my points as I was typing.
"I'm a foolish old man that has been drawn into a wild goose chase by a harpy in trousers and a nincompoop."

Jamisjockey

• Booze-fueled paragon of pointless cruelty and wanton sadism
  • friend
  • Your mom sends me care packages
« Reply #131 on: October 03, 2017, 11:29:55 AM »

It will mean everything I said about Trump when he was running for office was true. 
JD

The price of a lottery ticket seems to be the maximum most folks are willing to risk toward the dream of becoming a one-percenter. “Robert Hollis”

Hawkmoon

• friend
« Reply #132 on: October 03, 2017, 11:36:18 AM »
No, it's a different one. Which is worse, because it's an indicator of more widespread lack of basic firearms knowledge (or an agenda) in the FBI.

Agenda.

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
« Reply #133 on: October 03, 2017, 11:42:13 AM »
It will mean everything I said about Trump when he was running for office was true. 

Steve Bannon this morning said that if Trump caves on gun control (I think he meant anything more than bump stocks or similar), he's done, as his base will see that as much worse than caving on immigration.

If Trump were to promote anything like an "assault weapons" ban or magazine ban or kill national reciprocity (not that he will, but if), I would agree with Bannon. And if he does do such a thing, I'll be interested to see the NRA's reaction.
"I'm a foolish old man that has been drawn into a wild goose chase by a harpy in trousers and a nincompoop."

Scout26

• I'm a leaf on the wind.
  • friend
  • I spent a week in that town one night....
« Reply #134 on: October 03, 2017, 12:04:53 PM »
Or he could just be saying it and will do nothing.  There's a huge difference between "Having a conversation later" and "We need to ban/pass legislation/DO SOMETHING!".

Perhaps he'll let this run it's course and nothing happens.

Meanwhile, Jimmy Kimmel goes full retard.   He was funny on "The Man Show" with Adam Carolla, but since he's become a shill for the left.  (Most recently with Healthcare.)

https://www.cbsnews.com/news/las-vegas-shooting-jimmy-kimmel-rips-gun-control-foes/
Some days even my lucky rocketship underpants won't help.

Bring me my Broadsword and a clear understanding.
Get up to the roundhouse on the cliff-top standing.
Take women and children and bed them down.
Bless with a hard heart those that stand with me.
Bless the women and children who firm our hands.
Put our backs to the north wind.
Hold fast by the river.
Sweet memories to drive us on,
for the motherland.

Perd Hapley

• friend
« Reply #135 on: October 03, 2017, 12:38:54 PM »
@davidharsanyi

I'm going to watch Kimmel tonight to see what Dem leadership has to say on this issue.

https://twitchy.com/gregp-3534/2017/10/03/ben-shapiro-uses-jimmy-kimmels-monologue-to-bash-jared-kushner-liberals-still-pissed/

BlueStarLizzard

• Queen of the Cislords
  • friend
  • Oh please, nobody died last time...
« Reply #136 on: October 03, 2017, 03:02:09 PM »
Will the ATF be able to do anything about bump stocks independently, like the kurfluffle over the armbraces?

And, I agree with AJ and Ben, if they go after anything, it'll be the bump stocks. To my mind, those have always been iffy. I tried explaining them to non gun people today and I didn't get very far. Admittedly, I was honest and said they are a workaround and a legal cheat to the NFA, but the whole concept of it being technically different from full auto was over their heads.
For anyone who doesn't know (or really care) what a bump stock is, banning them is going to be an easy sell.  =|
"Okay, um, I'm lost. Uh, I'm angry, and I'm armed, so if you two have something that you need to work out --" -Malcolm Reynolds

zxcvbob

• friend
« Reply #137 on: October 03, 2017, 03:06:25 PM »
Will the ATF be able to do anything about bump stocks independently, like the kurfluffle over the armbraces?

And, I agree with AJ and Ben, if they go after anything, it'll be the bump stocks. To my mind, those have always been iffy. I tried explaining them to non gun people today and I didn't get very far. Admittedly, I was honest and said they are a workaround and a legal cheat to the NFA, but the whole concept of it being technically different from full auto was over their heads.
For anyone who doesn't know (or really care) what a bump stock is, banning them is going to be an easy sell.  =|

I don't care about bump stocks.  But banning trigger cranks would really suck.  I don't have one, but how else are you gong to make a Gatling-type gun?  Or what if you have a real Gatling gun, is that suddenly illegal?  They also work well on semi-auto M1919's.
"It's good, though..."

MechAg94

• friend
« Reply #138 on: October 03, 2017, 03:21:01 PM »
I have a slide fire stock.  I put in on my 5.45 AR upper.  I burned through 10 or 12 magazines with my Dad one day.  Never did it again.  It is cumbersome for regular shooting and not accurate at all without some real practice.  I have Surefire 100 round mag now.  I have always meant to go dump it once with that stock, but never have.  I would hate to see them go as it would be a minor victory for anti-freedom types, but it wouldn't affect me much.
“It is much more important to kill bad bills than to pass good ones.”  ― Calvin Coolidge

MechAg94

• friend
« Reply #139 on: October 03, 2017, 03:25:17 PM »
Sounds like they still are not releasing a list of guns, but I am still hearing that two were modified to fire full auto.  My problem is I don't know if "modified" means a bump fire stock or something similar or actual firearm mods to make it function as FA.  I guess it will take longer to learn that.
“It is much more important to kill bad bills than to pass good ones.”  ― Calvin Coolidge

Perd Hapley

• friend
« Reply #140 on: October 03, 2017, 03:31:44 PM »
Sounds like they still are not releasing a list of guns, but I am still hearing that two were modified to fire full auto.  My problem is I don't know if "modified" means a bump fire stock or something similar or actual firearm mods to make it function as FA.  I guess it will take longer to learn that.

This. And the vast majority of people will just remember that he had full-auto guns.

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
« Reply #141 on: October 03, 2017, 03:35:44 PM »

This. And the vast majority of people will just remember that he had full-auto guns.

Which anyone can buy at any gun store.

RocketMan

• Mad Rocket Scientist
  • friend
  • Semper Fidelis
« Reply #142 on: October 03, 2017, 03:54:41 PM »

And at any gun show without a background check.

If there really was intelligent life on other planets, we'd be sending them foreign aid.

Conservatives see George Orwell's "1984" as a cautionary tale.  Progressives view it as a "how to" manual.

My wife often says to me, "You are evil and must be destroyed." She may be right.

Liberals believe one should never let reason, logic and facts get in the way of a good emotional argument.

Perd Hapley

• friend
« Reply #143 on: October 03, 2017, 03:56:53 PM »

I order mine from the NRA's website, or from Walmart.

I also heard someone, I think it was a "conservative" radio guy, from Fox News, who said that one of the bullets penetrated a man, killing him, and striking the woman he was trying to protect. He made it sound as if the murderer had some kind of extra-scary projectiles.  :facepalm:

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
« Reply #144 on: October 03, 2017, 04:28:45 PM »

I also heard someone, I think it was a "conservative" radio guy, from Fox News, who said that one of the bullets penetrated a man, killing him, and striking the woman he was trying to protect. He made it sound as if the murderer had some kind of extra-scary projectiles.  :facepalm:

I heard a similar version where it was explained (I think on Fox News) that the 5.56 stops inside one person, but the 7.62 stops in the second person.

The technical side of the reporting on this seems to be more atrocious than usual for these incidents, and the "conservative sources" are as bad, if not worse, than the lefty sources.

Jamisjockey

• Booze-fueled paragon of pointless cruelty and wanton sadism
  • friend
  • Your mom sends me care packages
« Reply #145 on: October 03, 2017, 04:35:40 PM »
1) expect legislation banning bump fire.  The nooz is going ape *expletive deleted*it over the bump stocks.  Expect that to be the "compromise"
2) Expect the ATF to clamp down on anything that might modify a weapon to fire faster. 
3)  Don't be surprised if they go after high capacity. Pictures show 60 round magazine in the AR that was equipped with bump stock.
4) Expect Trump to cave, and the house Republicans to cave, on some aspects of new gun control.

My 2 cents. 
JD

The price of a lottery ticket seems to be the maximum most folks are willing to risk toward the dream of becoming a one-percenter. “Robert Hollis”

Hawkmoon

• friend
« Reply #146 on: October 03, 2017, 04:39:50 PM »

He did. A retired FBI agent on some talk show said he used "military-grade projectiles." Which could just be plain-vanilla M193 or M855 (55-grain and 62-grain), which are the two loadings most commonly found for bulk sale in 5.56x45. And they certainly are "military-grade," but (for those who know) not especially terrifying or unusual. One doctor from one of the trauma centers commented that the bullets really tore people up inside, unlike normal handgun bullets, which supports the notion that it might have been the 55-grain stuff that we carried in Vietnam.

But referring to the ammo (and the guns) as "military-grade" makes them sound super-extra-scary to the general public.

zxcvbob

• friend
« Reply #147 on: October 03, 2017, 04:46:57 PM »
He did. A retired FBI agent on some talk show said he used "military-grade projectiles." Which could just be plain-vanilla M193 or M855 (55-grain and 62-grain), which are the two loadings most commonly found for bulk sale in 5.56x45. And they certainly are "military-grade," but (for those who know) not especially terrifying or unusual. One doctor from one of the trauma centers commented that the bullets really tore people up inside, unlike normal handgun bullets, which supports the notion that it might have been the 55-grain stuff that we carried in Vietnam.

But referring to the ammo (and the guns) as "military-grade" makes them sound super-extra-scary to the general public.

I thought "military-grade" was just a euphemism for aluminum, like in the new Ford trucks.
"It's good, though..."

Viking

• ❤︎ Fuck around & find out ❤︎
  • friend
  • Carnist Bloodmouth
« Reply #148 on: October 03, 2017, 05:58:26 PM »
Let the tinfoilers come out:  https://squawker.org/politics/4chanvegas/  [tinfoil] [tinfoil]
Keep in mind that /pol/ is always right. [tinfoil]
Checked in earlier today, some of them are suggesting that"John" may in fact be "John Titor", if anyone remembers him. More proof of Trump's time machine perhaps? [tinfoil]
“The modern world will not be punished. It is the punishment.” — Nicolás Gómez Dávila

Scout26

• I'm a leaf on the wind.
  • friend
  • I spent a week in that town one night....
« Reply #149 on: October 03, 2017, 06:05:00 PM »
I always thought "military grade" meant  "built by the lowest bidder".
Some days even my lucky rocketship underpants won't help.

Bring me my Broadsword and a clear understanding.
Get up to the roundhouse on the cliff-top standing.
Take women and children and bed them down.
Bless with a hard heart those that stand with me.
Bless the women and children who firm our hands.
Put our backs to the north wind.
Hold fast by the river.
Sweet memories to drive us on,
for the motherland.