Author Topic: Gun Rights America Rallies on Jan 19th  (Read 3878 times)

AZRedhawk44

• friends
Gun Rights America Rallies on Jan 19th
« on: January 17, 2013, 02:40:25 PM »
"But whether the Constitution really be one thing, or another, this much is certain - that it has either authorized such a government as we have had, or has been powerless to prevent it. In either case, it is unfit to exist."
--Lysander Spooner

I reject your authoritah!

DustinD

• I have a title
  • friends
  • I have a personal text message
Re: Gun Rights America Rallies on Jan 19th
« Reply #1 on: January 17, 2013, 03:21:56 PM »
If Minnesota has one, I am in.

Edit: I will be there, 30 year old male in a black Columbia jacket.
« Last Edit: January 19, 2013, 09:02:22 AM by DustinD »
"I don't always shoot defenceless women in the face, but when I do, I prefer H-S Precision.

Stay bloodthirsty, my friends."

- Lon Horiuchi

Perd Hapley

• Superstar of the Internet
  • friend
  • My prepositions are on/in
« Reply #2 on: January 17, 2013, 07:20:34 PM »
I'm rather ticked that I'm just now hearing about this. I even looked on the internets for events in my area. Didn't think to look for anything at the capital. I'd really like to go, but it is very short notice for something 3 hours away. Just spent gas money on a bunch of gun-related stuff, too.  =|
"Doggies are angel babies!" -- my wife

SteveS

• The Voice of Reason
  • friends
« Reply #3 on: January 17, 2013, 09:47:06 PM »
The Michigan one has been promoted fairly heavily. Several of the gun orgs are going to be there and I know a fair number of people that will be attending. Unfortunately, I have a family event that had been planned a while ago and will be out if town.
Profanity is the linguistic crutch of the inarticulate mother****er.

Perd Hapley

• friend
« Reply #4 on: January 17, 2013, 11:43:19 PM »
Well, there's an anti-abortion rally the same day (40th memorial of Roe v Wade), and the capital is not as far away as I was thinking it was, and the wife is down, so we'll be there. Temps are supposed to get into the high 50s.

And while I'm talking about my state, we're apparently going to pass a bill that makes it a felony for the feds to enforce any new ban or registration of scary rifles or scary magazines.

http://www.news-leader.com/viewart/20130117/NEWS01/301170049/Missouri-bill-would-make-enforcing-new-gun-laws-a-crime

The police chief in my county gets it:

http://www.thegatewaypundit.com/2013/01/st-louis-county-police-chief-obamas-gun-control-actions-just-a-feel-good-effort-video/
« Last Edit: January 18, 2013, 12:24:19 AM by fistful »

Lennyjoe

• friend
« Reply #5 on: January 18, 2013, 12:17:53 AM »
We are having one down here in Sierra Vista, Arizona.  I will be there!

Hutch

• friend
« Reply #6 on: January 19, 2013, 08:08:28 AM »
Me.

ETA:  why didn't I think of making a sign until just now?  Too late.  It shames me to admit I don't even have a Gadsden flag to "demonstrate" with.  Watch for me in Montgomery.  I'll be the middle-aged, overweight, bespectacled, balding guy in a ball cap and gun-themed sweatshirt =D

AAR to follow, unless I get gassed and/or trunchioned by The Man.

ETA 2:  I'm re-reading Unintended Consequences, just to get the right frame of mind.

AAR:  absolutely unremarkable.  A few hand-lettered signs, gadsden flags, theme t-shirts and caps, maaaaybe 150-200 there.  Orderly, non threatening.  Left after ~ 1:30. 
« Last Edit: January 19, 2013, 04:29:47 PM by Hutch »
"My limited experience does not permit me to appreciate the unquestionable wisdom of your decision"

Seems like every day, I'm forced to add to the list of people who can just kiss my hairy ass.

Boomhauer

• Former Moderator, fired for embezzlement and abuse of power
  • friends
« Reply #7 on: January 19, 2013, 08:20:47 AM »
Im slaving away for The Man but Jocassee is going to represent the SC APS contingent.
Quote from: Ben
Holy hell. It's like giving a loaded gun to a chimpanzee...

Quote from: bluestarlizzard
the last thing you need is rabies. You're already angry enough as it is.

OTOH, there wouldn't be a tweeker left in Georgia...

Quote from: Balog
BLOOD FOR THE BLOOD GOD! SKULLS FOR THE SKULL THRONE! AND THROW SOME STEAK ON THE GRILL!

MrsSmith

• I do declare, someone needs an ass whoopin'
  • friend
« Reply #8 on: January 19, 2013, 08:41:20 AM »
Atlanta is four hours away and I can't make it, but we're organizing one here locally that will take place in the next couple weeks. One of my co-instructors is getting all the necessary permits and several local LEOs will be standing with us.
America is at that awkward stage; It's too late to work within the system, but too early to shoot the bastards. ~ Claire Wolfe

birdman

• friend
« Reply #9 on: January 19, 2013, 10:46:19 AM »
And I'm stranded in SF working :(

Tallpine

• friends
  • Grumpy Old Grandpa
« Reply #10 on: January 19, 2013, 11:26:59 AM »
Atlanta is four hours away and I can't make it, but we're organizing one here locally that will take place in the next couple weeks. One of my co-instructors is getting all the necessary permits and several local LEOs will be standing with us.

Yeah, it's a long long trip to Helena and back  =(

I think that I will stand out in my yard holding a sign to protest.  Now, if only the mule deer would learn to read  :facepalm:
Freedom is a heavy load, a great and strange burden for the spirit to undertake. It is not easy. It is not a gift given, but a choice made, and the choice may be a hard one. The road goes upward toward the light; but the laden traveller may never reach the end of it.  - Ursula Le Guin

Physics

• ∇xE=-1/c·∂B/∂t, ∇·E=4πρ, ∇·B=0, ∇xB=1/c·∂E/∂t, F=q(E+v/cxB)
  • friend
« Reply #11 on: January 19, 2013, 12:24:58 PM »
Kiddo and I will be attending the Olympia protest later today.
In the world of science, there is physics.  Everything else is stamp collecting.  -Ernest Rutherford

DustinD

• I have a title
  • friends
  • I have a personal text message
« Reply #12 on: January 19, 2013, 03:36:44 PM »
Minnesota's was bigger than expected, a few hundred people showed up. Several legislators spoke at the event.
"I don't always shoot defenceless women in the face, but when I do, I prefer H-S Precision.

Stay bloodthirsty, my friends."

- Lon Horiuchi

AZRedhawk44

• friends
« Reply #13 on: January 19, 2013, 08:48:11 PM »
About 800 or so at Phoenix, was my guess.

I had a sign with two sides.

Side 1 said "The AR-15 is the 21st Century Brown Bess" with images of an AR on top and a muzzleloader on bottom.

Side 2 said "Statists have been trying to take my guns since 1934.  No more compromise.  No more!"  No images.

Deliberately disorganized.  Multiple points of focus, simultaneous speakers at times.  I got there about 11:00, left around 1:15.  There were several guys there with M4's slung.  An M14, too.  Lots of OC'ed pistols.  No incidents. 
"But whether the Constitution really be one thing, or another, this much is certain - that it has either authorized such a government as we have had, or has been powerless to prevent it. In either case, it is unfit to exist."
--Lysander Spooner

I reject your authoritah!

Perd Hapley

• friend
« Reply #14 on: January 19, 2013, 09:50:33 PM »
I don't know how many we had at Jeff City, but it seemed like a very strong turn-out. Filled the place. People were really fired up. There was at least one news crew there.

Other than that, it was a mess. The guy who put it together obviously couldn't find enough speakers. About halfway through, they put some lady up there, because she brought a genocide chart sign. She started out by telling us she asked her husband if it was ok to speak, because she's a "submissive wife." Then she read half the sign to us (didn't know how to pronounce "Tutsi"). Then she kept rambling on, reciting the Ten Commandments, and so on. No, I'm not joking. When it appeared no one was going to rescue her from her tailspin, my submissive wife and I decided to take a walk. When we came back about ten minutes later, some guy from Oathkeepers was talking about how DHS was planning democide, and stockpiling .40 cal hollow-points, which are against the Geneva Convention. We ditched it.  =(

Generally, the whole thing was just too unfocused. Too much talk of non-gun issues, confiscation, and tyranny; not enough of day-to-day, down-to-earth stuff everyone can relate to. Llittle to no mention of how high-cap mags save lives, or why we need ARs as much as the police do.

Oh, and the first speaker was not bad, but she said "foo pas." Twice.
« Last Edit: January 19, 2013, 10:43:38 PM by fistful »

41magsnub

• friend
  • Don't make me assume my ultimate form!
« Reply #15 on: January 19, 2013, 10:36:05 PM »
No rally, but I attended a CCW class that was overflowing.  They had to change the venue twice due to sign ups far beyond expectations.  Normal sign ups are around 30 students.  Attendance was 125.  Decent class, covered the training requirements for AZ, MT, UT, and a couple of others.

Jim147

• friends
« Reply #16 on: January 20, 2013, 01:34:00 AM »
I gave the little girl some weapons safety training and we did a little target shooting. I miss judged how short her arms are. I couldn't find a .22 rifle to fit her. I guess her next day off school will involve a 30 some mile drive to the LGS to see if a Crickett will fit her.

I figure this was my best use of the day.

jim
Sometimes we carry more weight then we owe.
And sometimes goes on and on and on.

BAH-WEEP-GRAAAGHNAH WHEEP NI-NI BONG

ArfinGreebly

• Level Three Geek
  • friend
« Reply #17 on: January 20, 2013, 02:25:42 AM »

North Idaho, CdA.

Local sporting goods store (Black Sheep) made its parking lot available.

At least 1,500 present at any given moment, but lots of attendance churn and peak numbers at about 2,000.

Speakers were fired up, good resonance with the crowd.

Toward the close, they did an "oath renewal" ceremony.  You'd have found it moving to see how many men, young and old, raised their right hands, stood up straight, and made that commitment again.

There was an initial hesitation, but the hands kept going up until it was clear we were all in good company.

Good morale at the end.
"Look at it this way. If America frightens you, feel free to live somewhere else. There are plenty of other countries that don't suffer from excessive liberty. America is where the Liberty is. Liberty is not certified safe."

lee n. field

• friend
  • tinpot megalomaniac, Paulbot, hardware goon
« Reply #18 on: January 20, 2013, 01:43:47 PM »
Gun Appreciation Day Video - Springfield Il

youtubic link to video

Video and comments.  I wasn't there.

It was a great event.  They were estimating 1200+ people showed up.  Only a hand full of counter protesters(and only one with a sign) showed up and stood across the street.   I made and passed out a bunch of signs to some of the folks in the crowd.  It was all in all a great rally with only one bad speach from some random drunk guy(possible liberal plant) was at the end of the public gun apreciation story part.

1200 is not bad at all, considering short notice.

Illannoy Gun Owner Lobby Day (coming up early in March) typically has about 8K, and it's advertised months in advance and has busses coming from all parts of the state.
« Last Edit: January 20, 2013, 01:49:11 PM by lee n. field »
In thy presence is fulness of joy.
At thy right hand pleasures for evermore.

Perd Hapley

• friend
« Reply #19 on: January 20, 2013, 02:41:38 PM »
1200 is great.

I didn't see any counter-protest at the event I attended. But then, no one knew about it.  :lol:

charby

• Necromancer
  • Administrator
  • APS's Resident Sikh/Muslim
« Reply #20 on: January 20, 2013, 05:16:36 PM »
I was ice fishing in MN all weekend, does a visit to a bait shop and an American Legion for supper count?
« Last Edit: January 20, 2013, 11:15:13 PM by charby »
Iowa- 88% more livable that the rest of the US

Uranus is a gas giant.

Team 444: Member# 536

French G.

• friend
  • ohhh sparkles!
« Reply #21 on: January 20, 2013, 06:43:25 PM »
I attended Virginia's rally, pretty good showing I think. I was away from home when I found out about it so no chance for a sign or putting my navy jack on a stick. I'd say 400+ people, local nooz there, capitol police were polite and freindly, lots of OC, I was concealed, no OC holster in the car. Didn't take my AR-15, no 20 round mags with me, not carrying an empty gun, and +20 cap is no-go in Richmond and other VA major cities. Saw one guy with a slung Mini-14. Two young guys had a Gadsen flag and A US flag on the back of their large redneck truck, made several laps.

Freedom is messy. Saw people there I didn't necessarily care for but as long as they get it I guess we welcome them. That would be the guys with the truther stickers on the back of their signs, also the same ones with a Guy Fawkes mask and handing out Infowars cards with a big V on the reverse side. Or a couple who seemed to just not be as inclusive as I'd like... Low number of minorities was depressing. Large number of Vets and VCDL was good.

http://www.nbc12.com/story/20630558/gun-rights-advocates-rally-at-state-capitol
http://wtvr.com/2013/01/20/protestors-rally-at-the-capitol-for-gun-rights/
« Last Edit: January 20, 2013, 07:12:11 PM by French G. »
AKA Navy Joe   

I'm so contrarian that I didn't respond to the thread.

kgbsquirrel

• APS Photoshop God
  • friend
  • Bill, slayer of threads.
« Reply #22 on: January 20, 2013, 06:56:32 PM »
One of these days I need to request a day off from work so I can attend one of these events. The only question that remains is what goes better with a three piece suit: A M1903, M1 Garand, or M1A?

ArfinGreebly

• Level Three Geek
  • friend
« Reply #23 on: January 20, 2013, 06:59:59 PM »

About 800 or so at Phoenix, was my guess.

I had a sign with two sides.

Side 1 said "The AR-15 is the 21st Century Brown Bess" with images of an AR on top and a muzzleloader on bottom.

Side 2 said "Statists have been trying to take my guns since 1934.  No more compromise.  No more!"  No images.

Deliberately disorganized.  Multiple points of focus, simultaneous speakers at times.  I got there about 11:00, left around 1:15.  There were several guys there with M4's slung.  An M14, too.  Lots of OC'ed pistols.  No incidents. 

Think maybe your estimate on Phx was low.

Friend sent pix to wife (posted on blog) showing Phx with what looks to be more than 800.  More like double that.
"Look at it this way. If America frightens you, feel free to live somewhere else. There are plenty of other countries that don't suffer from excessive liberty. America is where the Liberty is. Liberty is not certified safe."

MrsSmith

• I do declare, someone needs an ass whoopin'
  • friend
« Reply #24 on: January 21, 2013, 07:23:13 AM »
One of these days I need to request a day off from work so I can attend one of these events. The only question that remains is what goes better with a three piece suit: A M1903, M1 Garand, or M1A?

The Garand, if the wood is polished and pretty.
America is at that awkward stage; It's too late to work within the system, but too early to shoot the bastards. ~ Claire Wolfe