Author Topic: Jury Duty Summons  (Read 6778 times)

HankB

• friend
Jury Duty Summons
« on: January 20, 2015, 11:28:52 AM »
Well, I got summoned for jury duty again. OK, civic duty, responsibility of citizenship, I get it.

It's been just over two years since I sat on a jury, and the last time it was at my suburb's local court, for someone fighting a traffic ticket.

This time I'll have to go to downtown Austin, TX for District Court.

What I HATE about going downtown isn't the jury service itself, but that the ignorant nitwits who've been running the city of Austin for DECADES have been building downtown facilities - including the new courthouse - without making ANY provision for parking. In fact, the jury information website smugly declares "No parking is provided for jurors."

I don't know who should be more worried about an irate juror - the prosecution or the defendant.  :mad:
Trump won in 2016. Democrats haven't been so offended since Republicans came along and freed their slaves.
Sometimes I wonder if the world is being run by smart people who are putting us on, or by imbeciles who really mean it. - Mark Twain
Government is a broker in pillage, and every election is a sort of advance auction in stolen goods. - H.L. Mencken
Patriotism is supporting your country all the time, and your government when it deserves it. - Mark Twain

T.O.M.

• friend
Re: Jury Duty Summons
« Reply #1 on: January 20, 2015, 11:50:41 AM »
Well, I got summoned for jury duty again. OK, civic duty, responsibility of citizenship, I get it.

It's been just over two years since I sat on a jury, and the last time it was at my suburb's local court, for someone fighting a traffic ticket.

This time I'll have to go to downtown Austin, TX for District Court.

What I HATE about going downtown isn't the jury service itself, but that the ignorant nitwits who've been running the city of Austin for DECADES have been building downtown facilities - including the new courthouse - without making ANY provision for parking. In fact, the jury information website smugly declares "No parking is provided for jurors."

I don't know who should be more worried about an irate juror - the prosecution or the defendant.  :mad:

That's really too bad.  Our court provides a parking permit that allows free parking around the courthouse.  In an age where it is increasingly difficult to get quality juror pools, it's too bad they inconvenience them, or even require that a juror pay for the privilege of serving.
No, I'm not mtnbkr.  ;)

a.k.a. "our resident Legal Smeagol."...thanks BryanP
"Anybody can give legal advice - but only licensed attorneys can sell it."...vaskidmark

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
« Reply #2 on: January 20, 2015, 11:56:14 AM »

I don't know who should be more worried about an irate juror - the prosecution or the defendant.  :mad:

I'm right there with you. It's the whole urban liberal "discouraging cars" thing. Exactly the same where I report to jury duty. They actually have a "juror's lot", but it has a twenty car capacity, and even if you wanted to show up there at like 0500 to snag a space, you can't, because the lot doesn't open until 730am and jury reporting here is at 8am.

I always just sucked it up and parked at a city lot a block away for $10/day since all my jury service in the last 15 years has been sitting on my butt in the jury pool building all day for several days reading a book or Kindle while work paid me to be there.

I got called once since I retired, but we're on a "phone check-in" system here for reporting and I escaped getting called in. Otherwise I would have been annoyed at parking and basically paying to show up as well.

"I'm a foolish old man that has been drawn into a wild goose chase by a harpy in trousers and a nincompoop."

Firethorn

• friend
  • Where'd my explosive space modulator go?
« Reply #3 on: January 20, 2015, 12:25:40 PM »
In fact, the jury information website smugly declares "No parking is provided for jurors."

Call them up, point out that you don't live on a bus route downtown(you don't, right?) and argue that no parking provided is an undue burden for those with vehicles.  Be polite, of course.  They might let you off.

Also, in decades I've never gotten a notice that they want me to serve.  I'd probably be dismissed right now(full time student), but in the past I'd have been right there as work considered it 'alternate duty'.

KD5NRH

• friends
  • I'm too sexy for you people.
« Reply #4 on: January 20, 2015, 01:10:35 PM »
That's really too bad.  Our court provides a parking permit that allows free parking around the courthouse.  In an age where it is increasingly difficult to get quality juror pools, it's too bad they inconvenience them, or even require that a juror pay for the privilege of serving.

Been called twice.  Both times, sat around for about an hour after checking in, until they dismissed everybody without any indication as to why.

Take people's time seriously, and maybe they'll take jury duty seriously.

Scout26

• I'm a leaf on the wind.
  • friend
  • I spent a week in that town one night....
« Reply #5 on: January 20, 2015, 01:32:52 PM »
County courthouse has three level, free parking garage adjacent to the building.  Makes things rather easy.  Jurors can also bring in electronics and cameraphones.

I spent 2 and half weeks on Jury duty a few years ago.  I think I've been put on the "deferred for a while" list since it was a murder trial.
Some days even my lucky rocketship underpants won't help.

Bring me my Broadsword and a clear understanding.
Get up to the roundhouse on the cliff-top standing.
Take women and children and bed them down.
Bless with a hard heart those that stand with me.
Bless the women and children who firm our hands.
Put our backs to the north wind.
Hold fast by the river.
Sweet memories to drive us on,
for the motherland.

T.O.M.

• friend
« Reply #6 on: January 20, 2015, 01:53:09 PM »
Been called twice.  Both times, sat around for about an hour after checking in, until they dismissed everybody without any indication as to why.

Curious...are judges appointed or elected where you live?  Reason I ask is that I live in an elected judges" are, and the judges make a point of talking to the jury pool explaining everything.  Good public relations with voters.
No, I'm not mtnbkr.  ;)

a.k.a. "our resident Legal Smeagol."...thanks BryanP
"Anybody can give legal advice - but only licensed attorneys can sell it."...vaskidmark

Firethorn

• friend
  • Where'd my explosive space modulator go?
« Reply #7 on: January 20, 2015, 02:01:57 PM »

Take people's time seriously, and maybe they'll take jury duty seriously.

Normally the 'why' is 'Prosecution & defense finally came to a deal on a plea-bargain'.

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
« Reply #8 on: January 20, 2015, 02:41:24 PM »
In the meantime Hank, at least be thankful you're not in this jury pool - good luck to these jurors on finding parking:

http://www.foxnews.com/us/2015/01/20/jury-selection-to-begin-in-colorado-theater-shooting-trial/
"I'm a foolish old man that has been drawn into a wild goose chase by a harpy in trousers and a nincompoop."

KD5NRH

• friends
« Reply #9 on: January 20, 2015, 02:46:30 PM »
Curious...are judges appointed or elected where you live?  Reason I ask is that I live in an elected judges" are, and the judges make a point of talking to the jury pool explaining everything.  Good public relations with voters.

Elected, but so rarely opposed that they really don't care.

Normally the 'why' is 'Prosecution & defense finally came to a deal on a plea-bargain'.

Easy to fix with a simple change; once the first jury summons is mailed, you're going to trial on the current charge.  All that can change is your plea to that charge.  Comes with the obvious extra advantage of lighting a fire under them to get to an agreement weeks earlier than usual, too.

HankB

• friend
« Reply #10 on: January 20, 2015, 05:29:30 PM »
In the meantime Hank, at least be thankful you're not in this jury pool - good luck to these jurors on finding parking:

http://www.foxnews.com/us/2015/01/20/jury-selection-to-begin-in-colorado-theater-shooting-trial/
Yeah, I heard about that - 9000 in the pool, and they've already eliminated a bunch because they're potential witnesses.

Ah, heck, I'll just suck it up, and be happy that I live in Central Texas - if I have to walk a half mile or so, I can be fairly confident it won't be in a snowstorm.

From what I can tell from looking at the docket on-line, the cases seem to be for things like robbery, theft, PCS (possession of a controlled substance?), non-custodial kidnapping, and the like. Some are "PTR" (Pre trial review???) and only one seems to be "PJURY."  Maybe someone will plead down - that's happened on a couple of occasions; sit around for a while, then they reach an agreement and the jury pool is dismissed.

Last time I had to go downtown for jury duty they were going to trial, but I didn't get picked - one or both lawyers didn't like some of my answers during voir dire.   >:D
Trump won in 2016. Democrats haven't been so offended since Republicans came along and freed their slaves.
Sometimes I wonder if the world is being run by smart people who are putting us on, or by imbeciles who really mean it. - Mark Twain
Government is a broker in pillage, and every election is a sort of advance auction in stolen goods. - H.L. Mencken
Patriotism is supporting your country all the time, and your government when it deserves it. - Mark Twain

RoadKingLarry

• friends
« Reply #11 on: January 20, 2015, 06:58:53 PM »
I had the "privilege" of jury duty in 2013. Only the second time I was summoned. First time I was deployed to the Med and after dad explained it to them 3 times they reluctantly excused me.
My stint in 2013 only managed to strip away the last vestigial remnants of respect I had for our legal system.
If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude better than the animating contest of freedom, go home from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or your arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains set lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that you were our countrymen.

Samuel Adams

De Selby

• friend
« Reply #12 on: January 20, 2015, 10:57:05 PM »
I always respond to a jury duty summons with a letter in size 18 font saying "AM I BEING DETAINED?  AM I BEING DETAINED?"

If it gets to voire dire I refuse to answer questions without an attorney present.

=D
"Human existence being an hallucination containing in itself the secondary hallucinations of day and night (the latter an insanitary condition of the atmosphere due to accretions of black air) it ill becomes any man of sense to be concerned at the illusory approach of the supreme hallucination known as death."

K Frame

• friend
  • I Am Inimical
« Reply #13 on: January 21, 2015, 12:53:48 PM »
I always respond to a jury duty summons with a letter in size 18 font saying "AM I BEING DETAINED?  AM I BEING DETAINED?"

If it gets to voire dire I refuse to answer questions without an attorney present.

=D

I know someone who tried something like that once. Guy was something of an ineffectual anti-gov nutter, claimed a violation of the 14th Amendment or some such.

He probably would have been dismissed outright, as neither attorney wanted anything to do with him, but he made the mistake of getting snappy with the judge and talking over him.

$1,000 fine and a weekend in jail for contempt of court.

Carbon Monoxide, sucking the life out of idiots, 'tards, and fools since man tamed fire.

castle key

• friend
« Reply #14 on: January 21, 2015, 01:23:28 PM »
Fringe on the flag?
Vigilate hoc, tenendum per ebrietatem.

K Frame

• friend
  • I Am Inimical
« Reply #15 on: January 21, 2015, 01:30:43 PM »
Nah, I doubt that he even knew of that argument. Claimed jury duty was involuntary servitude blah blah blah.

Judge was not amused.

But to be perfectly honest, that judge was never amused about anything.
Carbon Monoxide, sucking the life out of idiots, 'tards, and fools since man tamed fire.

MechAg94

• friend
« Reply #16 on: January 21, 2015, 02:06:11 PM »
It is possible to ask annoying questions about the case to get dismissed without being a jerk to the judge. 

Another option is when the ask you if you can be impartial, just say no, I just look at the guy and think he is guilty. 

Keep an honest and concerned look on your face throughout.
“It is much more important to kill bad bills than to pass good ones.”  ― Calvin Coolidge

KD5NRH

• friends
« Reply #17 on: January 21, 2015, 03:02:30 PM »
Another option is when the ask you if you can be impartial, just say no, I just look at the guy and think he is guilty.

Or "of course I can be impartial, as long as he's not a [insert most offensive epithet you know for the other attorney's race here]."

De Selby

• friend
« Reply #18 on: January 21, 2015, 05:41:15 PM »
It is possible to ask annoying questions about the case to get dismissed without being a jerk to the judge. 

Keep an honest and concerned look on your face throughout.

All in good humour, but judges are very good at spotting jury duty evasion techniques.  They can land you with in contempt just like Mike's friend.

The one time I've been summoned for jury duty I put up with the hassle on the basis that it's an important service for me and everyone else - the jury protects you from the .gov.

How the .gov treats its juries (like cattle in some places) is a good reminder of why it's important to have regular joes making these decisions.
"Human existence being an hallucination containing in itself the secondary hallucinations of day and night (the latter an insanitary condition of the atmosphere due to accretions of black air) it ill becomes any man of sense to be concerned at the illusory approach of the supreme hallucination known as death."

K Frame

• friend
  • I Am Inimical
Re:
« Reply #19 on: January 21, 2015, 07:31:53 PM »
WHOA!

That *expletive deleted*che bag was no friend of mine!

Regolith

• friend
« Reply #20 on: January 21, 2015, 10:48:04 PM »
Be polite, be respectful, and tell 'em you believe in Jury Nullification. Fastest way to get kicked off a jury there is. =|

The price of freedom is eternal vigilance. - Thomas Jefferson

Necessity is the plea for every infringement of human freedom. It is the argument of tyrants; it is the creed of slaves. - William Pitt the Younger

Perfectly symmetrical violence never solved anything. - Professor Hubert J. Farnsworth

erictank

• friends
« Reply #21 on: January 22, 2015, 12:09:39 PM »
Be polite, be respectful, and tell 'em you believe in Jury Nullification. Fastest way to get kicked off a jury there is. =|

Hasn't happened to me yet - the one time I received a summons, the case I would have sat for was settled the morning I was to report - but I am absolutely positive that I will *NEVER* be permitted to sit as a juror for nearly any drug-related crime, for many (most? At least the ones not involving any actual violent crimes) possible firearms-related cases, and possibly many others as well.

All I have to do either for the questionnaire or voir dire is tell the truth, and I'll be ejected so fast it'll cause a sonic boom. "Yes, I believe that as a juror I have the right and obligation to determine the validity of the law, as well as of the case in question. It was the early Supreme Court Chief Justice Story, wasn't it, who famously said that? I agree with him wholeheartedly." "Yes, I believe that American jurors have the right and legitimate authority to engage in what is commonly referred to as 'jury nullification.'" "Yes, I'm aware of and agree with the positions of the organization known as FIJA."

MechAg94

• friend
« Reply #22 on: January 22, 2015, 02:29:10 PM »
My last summons was for local municipal court.  I failed to spot the follow up letter canceling the summons due to plea bargain.  Luckily it wasn't a big inconvenience to show up and find out it was canceled. 
“It is much more important to kill bad bills than to pass good ones.”  ― Calvin Coolidge

MechAg94

• friend
« Reply #23 on: January 22, 2015, 02:41:06 PM »
All in good humour, but judges are very good at spotting jury duty evasion techniques.  They can land you with in contempt just like Mike's friend.

The one time I've been summoned for jury duty I put up with the hassle on the basis that it's an important service for me and everyone else - the jury protects you from the .gov.

How the .gov treats its juries (like cattle in some places) is a good reminder of why it's important to have regular joes making these decisions.
The only time I saw it used, the guy was asking pertinent questions, but he kept asking questions.  Finally, one of the lawyers just said, "don't worry, you won't be on the jury anyway".  I don't think the judge cared since he was in the back (80 people or so) and the judge stopped the questions after they went through the first 25 or 30 and asked if that was enough.  The judge didn't believe in letting the lawyers go on at length.

Scout26

• I'm a leaf on the wind.
  • friend
  • I spent a week in that town one night....
« Reply #24 on: January 23, 2015, 12:00:10 AM »
Here they call about 200-250 people per week.  (yes you have it all week).  Call in each day for the next.  they tell you whether to come in or not.  Once in, you can get voir dire'd several times, but once you've been picked for a jury, that's it.  Doesn't matter if they then settle before the trial, you've been on a jury, when the case is done, so are you.

Or you can get picked for a couple weeks long murder trial.   =| =| =|

And yeah, not a whole lot of Jury Nullification possibility there...
Some days even my lucky rocketship underpants won't help.

Bring me my Broadsword and a clear understanding.
Get up to the roundhouse on the cliff-top standing.
Take women and children and bed them down.
Bless with a hard heart those that stand with me.
Bless the women and children who firm our hands.
Put our backs to the north wind.
Hold fast by the river.
Sweet memories to drive us on,
for the motherland.