Author Topic: Possible terror attack in Nice, France  (Read 2898 times)

cassandra and sara's daddy

• friends
Re: Possible terror attack in Nice, France
« Reply #25 on: July 15, 2016, 12:49:47 PM »
A lot of countries take preventative measures to keep these things from happening

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
It is much more powerful to seek Truth for one's self.  Seeing and hearing that others seem to have found it can be a motivation.  With me, I was drawn because of much error and bad judgment on my part. Confronting one's own errors and bad judgment is a very life altering situation.  Confronting the errors and bad judgment of others is usually hypocrisy.

by someone older and wiser than I

Laurent du Var

• friends
« Reply #26 on: July 15, 2016, 01:00:57 PM »
Fistful, I was surprised to read your list of terrorist attacks in France, although I was aware of all those cases, and there may be some more cases which are not included. I borrowed it and put it on FB, I hope you don't mind, if you do I'll take it down.

Surprised because we're used on Learning about an attack, be outraged and voice our minds on FB which means next to nothing and then go on about our lives.

Yesterday on Bastille day in Nice was different. Nice is where I work and I live in then next town over a small place of 30 000 people where we have two fundamental islamist families (tribes) who you'd recognize by them getting back to traditional arabic attire which sticks out like a sore thumb in the South of France. It's called Saint Laurent du Var and that's also where the attacker rented his weapon a 19 tons refrigerated truck which he used to run into a big crowd gathering on the beach promenade of Nice to see the traditional fireworks taking place at 22h30.

A great fireworks show is rare and free for the bystanders and especially interesting for children with their parents.
Taking our children to fireworks is what every parent in France does, and I guess in a lot of other countries it'd be just the same. I didn't do it because I avoid crowds (like for the Euro 2016 Soccer Championship) and my kids are at an age 13 and 15 where they don't care so much for fireworks anymore.

I've watched the news this morning and thought : "They are finally at your doorstep!", it was like the end of a dream lasting for 15 years where I watched bad things coming my way right down from the twin towers.  

Vada a bordo, Cazzo!

Perd Hapley

• Superstar of the Internet
  • friend
  • My prepositions are on/in
« Reply #27 on: July 15, 2016, 05:13:19 PM »
Fistful, I was surprised to read your list of terrorist attacks in France, although I was aware of all those cases, and there may be some more cases which are not included. I borrowed it and put it on FB, I hope you don't mind, if you do I'll take it down.

I just copied it from the UK Telegraph. Here's that link again.

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/2016/07/15/nice-terror-attack-on-bastille-day-everything-we-know-so-far-on/

I also saw an article on InfoWars that said more people have died from terror attacks in France (~230) in the past two years, than in the previous 150 years. Take that with a grain of salt, of course, but an article in another paper said the recent death toll was 240.

I'm sorry to hear this last one has hit so close to home for you. I should remember to include you Frenchies in our prayers, this evening. May God keep you and yours (and me and mine) safe.
"Doggies are angel babies!" -- my wife

Viking

• ❤︎ Fuck around & find out ❤︎
  • friend
  • Carnist Bloodmouth
« Reply #28 on: July 15, 2016, 06:00:25 PM »

I just copied it from the UK Telegraph. Here's that link again.

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/2016/07/15/nice-terror-attack-on-bastille-day-everything-we-know-so-far-on/

I also saw an article on InfoWars that said more people have died from terror attacks in France (~230) in the past two years, than in the previous 150 years. Take that with a grain of salt, of course, but an article in another paper said the recent death toll was 240.

I'm sorry to hear this last one has hit so close to home for you. I should remember to include you Frenchies in our prayers, this evening. May God keep you and yours (and me and mine) safe.
This appears to be correct, assuming the figures for the last two years are true. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_terrorist_incidents_in_France
Even counting back to 1800, the total number of victims between then and the latest wave of Islamic terrorism in France (starting with the Toulouse and Montauban shootings) comes out to 206 victims. The number of victims for the Toulouse and Montauban shootings, the Nantes attack, the Charlie Hebdo shooting, the Villejuif attack, the Saint-Quentin-Fallavier attack, the Bataclan massacre, the murder of the police officer and his wife, and the latest tragedy now in Nice comes out to 238 in total, assuming no more perish from the Nice attack.
“The modern world will not be punished. It is the punishment.” — Nicolás Gómez Dávila

Perd Hapley

• friend
« Reply #29 on: July 15, 2016, 06:18:43 PM »
Why not regulate guns like cars?

A good enough answer, Mr. Volokh, but here's a practical exercise.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/news/worldviews/wp/2016/07/15/the-attack-in-nice-shows-cars-and-trucks-can-be-powerful-weapons-of-terror/

I've been waiting to find out if any innocents were shot in the Nice truck-bombing. Has anyone found that information? According to some reports, his "truckful of guns and grenades" was really just a load of fakes, aside from one functioning handgun.

Laurent du Var

• friends
« Reply #30 on: July 15, 2016, 06:20:24 PM »
Thank you for your prayers, you'll be included in mine, as well as the couple of customers from Arizona who I spent 4 hours with yesterday staying at the hotel right where it happened, I'm shell shocked right now.

It seems he shot some people with his small automatic pistol as well, that's not sure at all. If you get to move a 19t truck at 40 mph into a crowd all bets are off. Think about building up speed for one mile and then zig zag.
Vada a bordo, Cazzo!

TechMan

• Administrator
  • Yes, your moderation has been outsourced.
« Reply #31 on: July 15, 2016, 06:38:56 PM »
I heard that 25 of the victims that are in the hospital are on life support, so I fear that the death toll will increase.   :'(
Hawkmoon - Never underestimate another person's capacity for stupidity. Any time you think someone can't possibly be that dumb ... they'll prove you wrong.

Bacon and Eggs - A day's work for a chicken; A lifetime commitment for a pig.
Stupidity will always be its own reward.
Bad decisions make good stories.

Viking - The problem with the modern world is that there aren't really any predators eating stupid people.

RevDisk

• friend
    • RevDisk.net
« Reply #32 on: July 17, 2016, 08:21:56 PM »
Let us know if there's anything we can do, Laurent.

How are things at the moment?

"Rev, your picture is in my King James Bible, where Paul talks about "inventors of evil."  Yes, I know you'll take that as a compliment."  - Fistful, possibly highest compliment I've ever received.

Perd Hapley

• friend
« Reply #33 on: July 18, 2016, 12:32:20 AM »

Should we send James Taylor?

HankB

• friend
« Reply #34 on: July 18, 2016, 12:32:44 AM »
Just found out that the two Americans visiting France - a father and his 11 year old son - who were killed in this attack were almost my neighbors; though I didn't know them, they only lived about 2 miles away from me.

=(
Trump won in 2016. Democrats haven't been so offended since Republicans came along and freed their slaves.
Sometimes I wonder if the world is being run by smart people who are putting us on, or by imbeciles who really mean it. - Mark Twain
Government is a broker in pillage, and every election is a sort of advance auction in stolen goods. - H.L. Mencken
Patriotism is supporting your country all the time, and your government when it deserves it. - Mark Twain

roo_ster

• Kakistocracy--It's What's For Dinner.
  • friend
  • Hoist the black flag, and begin slitting throats
Re: Re: Possible terror attack in Nice, France
« Reply #35 on: July 18, 2016, 12:38:24 AM »
Just found out that the two Americans visiting France - a father and his 11 year old son - who were killed in this attack were almost my neighbors; though I didn't know them, they only lived about 2 miles away from me.

=(
My buddy at work knew them.
Regards,

roo_ster

“Fallacies do not cease to be fallacies because they become fashions.”
----G.K. Chesterton

Laurent du Var

• friends
« Reply #36 on: July 18, 2016, 04:07:31 AM »

How are things at the moment?

Thanks for asking, I'm fine. We're doing the seven steps of grieve over here, at the moment we're just depressed I guess. Anger was just emtpy of any enemy to fight with. The loss of Sean and Brodie is disgusting, I and many other dads have travelled with their eleven years old and just getting murdered like this is beyond my words.
Vada a bordo, Cazzo!

Perd Hapley

• friend