Author Topic: Would life on Mars change your world view?  (Read 7622 times)

MechAg94

• friend
Re: Would life on Mars change your world view?
« Reply #50 on: October 17, 2019, 08:39:34 AM »

That a civilization removed from Western Christianity, may have different god or gods or entirely different belief system then your own.
Isn't that what half this thread is about, that aliens are alien?  My comment above was meant as a joke.  I wasn't trying to start a theological argument. 

A Christian believing God exists all over the Universe He created is just as right as anyone else.  No one on Earth can prove them wrong.  Of course, a Muslim (not Western Christianity) might also think they will know God (their God).  On the the other hand, there are likely atheists who think "belief" is a human thing and aliens wouldn't believe in anything at all.  

Speculation on alien religion is pointless as we have no basis on which to speculate except our own human history and belief.  We can't put ourselves in their shoes and imagine what they would think.  We don't even know if they wear shoes.  If you take the assumption our God is not known there and they do still believe in supernatural beings, it would be helpful to know about their biology and what their night sky looks like to get an idea of what they might believe, and that is still speculating based on our own history.  

Or they might look like Squirrels and come to Earth to visit a Church in Pascagoula, Mississippi.   =D
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=K16fG1sDagU
« Last Edit: October 17, 2019, 09:19:58 AM by MechAg94 »
“It is much more important to kill bad bills than to pass good ones.”  ― Calvin Coolidge

fifth_column

• friend
« Reply #51 on: October 17, 2019, 09:02:35 AM »
Their version of same once translated.  Don't people say Allah means "God" in English?

As I understand it, Allah is the same god referred to in the old testament as Yahweh.
Power concedes nothing without a demand. It never did and it never will... The limits of tyrants are prescribed by the endurance of those whom they oppress. ― Frederick Douglass

No American citizen should be willing to accept a government that uses its power against its own people.  -  Catherine Engelbrecht

MechAg94

• friend
« Reply #52 on: October 17, 2019, 09:08:52 AM »
As I understand it, Allah is the same god referred to in the old testament as Yahweh.
That is what they say, I think.  I am sure you would get a lot of argument in some circles about that.
« Last Edit: October 17, 2019, 09:44:49 AM by MechAg94 »
“It is much more important to kill bad bills than to pass good ones.”  ― Calvin Coolidge

MechAg94

• friend
« Reply #53 on: October 17, 2019, 09:49:30 AM »
Aside from what we percieve as "life" and "inert" objects, I wouldn't be surprised if, at some point humanity becomes trans-stellar, we discover something that is neither alive nor inert.  Unquantifiable by our metrics, yet impressive and meriting our respect anyways.
It seems to me that I have heard of quite a few different versions of "life" in scifi in books and TV.  I am sure we could find something that defies imagination. 

MillCreek

• Skippy The Wonder Dog
  • friend
  • APS Risk Manager
« Reply #54 on: October 17, 2019, 10:09:28 AM »
Was Data alive?  See: The Measure of a Man.

Quote from: Angel Eyes on August 09, 2018, 01:56:15 AM
You are one lousy risk manager.

TommyGunn

• friend
  • Stuck in full auto since birth.
« Reply #55 on: October 17, 2019, 11:16:22 AM »
--- or Jehovah.  [popcorn]
MOLON LABE   "Through ignorance of what is good and what is bad, the life of men is greatly perplexed." ~~ Cicero

makattak

• Dark Lord of the Cis
  • friend
« Reply #56 on: October 17, 2019, 11:29:50 AM »
That is what they say, I think.  I am sure you would get a lot of argument in some circles about that.

That is what they say, and they are completely wrong about that. As you say, there is certainly disagreement about it.
I wish the Ring had never come to me. I wish none of this had happened.

So do all who live to see such times. But that is not for them to decide. All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given to us. There are other forces at work in this world, Frodo, besides the will of evil. Bilbo was meant to find the Ring. In which case, you also were meant to have it. And that is an encouraging thought

AZRedhawk44

• friends
« Reply #57 on: October 17, 2019, 11:42:16 AM »
Their version of same once translated.  Don't people say Allah means "God" in English?

Funnily, "God" is most likely pagan in either origin that it is theorized to come from.  It's either Germanic (pagan) or Indian/Vedic (also pagan).  The Latin word Deus is a blatant rip-off of the Greek Zeus, which is also of Sanskrit influence from "dyaus," an adaptation of the Vedic "devas."

An appropriate name for the Judeo-Christian entity known as God is more likely Yahweh, much akin to Allah.  The Latin "Jehovah" is a bad mispronunciation that is more often today spoken as "Juh-Hoe-Vah" rather than with a soft almost "i/y" sound for the J and a subdued "v" that is more of a "w."
"But whether the Constitution really be one thing, or another, this much is certain - that it has either authorized such a government as we have had, or has been powerless to prevent it. In either case, it is unfit to exist."
--Lysander Spooner

I reject your authoritah!

Ron

• friends
  • Like a tree planted by the rivers of water
    • What I believe ...
« Reply #58 on: October 17, 2019, 12:45:55 PM »
Funnily, "God" is most likely pagan in either origin that it is theorized to come from.  It's either Germanic (pagan) or Indian/Vedic (also pagan).  The Latin word Deus is a blatant rip-off of the Greek Zeus, which is also of Sanskrit influence from "dyaus," an adaptation of the Vedic "devas."

An appropriate name for the Judeo-Christian entity known as God is more likely Yahweh, much akin to Allah.  The Latin "Jehovah" is a bad mispronunciation that is more often today spoken as "Juh-Hoe-Vah" rather than with a soft almost "i/y" sound for the J and a subdued "v" that is more of a "w."

A creator God or gods is referenced in much older writings and representations than pagan sources.

God/gods have been with us at least since the beginning of written words and symbols.
For the invisible things of him since the creation of the world are clearly seen, being perceived through the things that are made, even his everlasting power and divinity, that they may be without excuse. Because knowing God, they didn’t glorify him as God, and didn’t give thanks, but became vain in their reasoning, and their senseless heart was darkened. Professing themselves to be wise, they became fools.

charby

• Necromancer
  • Administrator
  • APS's Resident Sikh/Muslim
« Reply #59 on: October 17, 2019, 05:25:34 PM »
Isn't that what half this thread is about, that aliens are alien?  My comment above was meant as a joke.  I wasn't trying to start a theological argument. 

A Christian believing God exists all over the Universe He created is just as right as anyone else.  No one on Earth can prove them wrong.  Of course, a Muslim (not Western Christianity) might also think they will know God (their God).  On the the other hand, there are likely atheists who think "belief" is a human thing and aliens wouldn't believe in anything at all.  

Speculation on alien religion is pointless as we have no basis on which to speculate except our own human history and belief.  We can't put ourselves in their shoes and imagine what they would think.  We don't even know if they wear shoes.  If you take the assumption our God is not known there and they do still believe in supernatural beings, it would be helpful to know about their biology and what their night sky looks like to get an idea of what they might believe, and that is still speculating based on our own history.  

Or they might look like Squirrels and come to Earth to visit a Church in Pascagoula, Mississippi.   =D
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=K16fG1sDagU

I got recipes for the potential alien rodent invasion, hopefully they aren't 8' tall with laser guns.
Iowa- 88% more livable that the rest of the US

Uranus is a gas giant.

Team 444: Member# 536

Angel Eyes

• Lying dog-faced pony soldier
  • friend
  • You're not diggin'
« Reply #60 on: October 17, 2019, 05:33:38 PM »
"End of quote.  Repeat the line."
  - Joe 'Ron Burgundy' Biden

Sindawe

• friend
  • Vashneesht
« Reply #61 on: October 17, 2019, 10:53:31 PM »

We might be among the first everywhere, the "ancients" charged with farming the galaxy and seeding life elsewhere. Might be our mandate. Being "first" and "alone" is just as profound as finding out we've got neighbors IMO.

I've pondered that very thought of late.  While I believe that the universe is teaming with life, from bacterial film on/in rocks to organisms that blot out the light of their home star, our kind of life is rare.  We ask questions.  Even our nearest cousins in the Family Hominidae don't, though some understand what a question is.  So far the smarter Cetacea don't either, nor those creepy/fascinating Cephalopods that solve simple puzzles for food.

First Ones in this 'Verse, what a heady concept.  If true I hope we're up to it.
I am free, no matter what rules surround me. If I find them tolerable, I tolerate them; if I find them too obnoxious, I break them. I am free because I know that I alone am morally responsible for everything I do.

Perd Hapley

• Superstar of the Internet
  • friend
  • My prepositions are on/in
« Reply #62 on: October 17, 2019, 11:03:58 PM »
Funnily, "God" is most likely pagan in either origin that it is theorized to come from.  It's either Germanic (pagan) or Indian/Vedic (also pagan).  The Latin word Deus is a blatant rip-off of the Greek Zeus, which is also of Sanskrit influence from "dyaus," an adaptation of the Vedic "devas."

An appropriate name for the Judeo-Christian entity known as God is more likely Yahweh, much akin to Allah.  The Latin "Jehovah" is a bad mispronunciation that is more often today spoken as "Juh-Hoe-Vah" rather than with a soft almost "i/y" sound for the J and a subdued "v" that is more of a "w."

Christians (or Jews, for that matter) don't claim the word "God" is a proper name, or that they invented it. We might use it like a name at times, but the Old Testament is pretty clear about God having a particular name, which He revealed to His followers. "God" was not that name. The word "God" is more like a title, which English-speaking Christians use, as it is an English term for, well, a god. I imagine the same goes for "Deus." Christianity, like most other religions that spread to other language groups, adopted local languages to express its teachings. (Although it was born speaking Aramaic, Hebrew, and Greek, so maybe it had a head start.) So there are many terms for the Deity of the Christian scriptures.

And "Jehovah" isn't Latin. It's a Latinization of the four consonants of the Hebrew tetragrammaton (YHWH, in English).

« Last Edit: October 17, 2019, 11:30:56 PM by fistful »
"Doggies are angel babies!" -- my wife

Perd Hapley

• Superstar of the Internet
  • friend
  • My prepositions are on/in
« Reply #63 on: October 17, 2019, 11:08:00 PM »

As far as I know, that is the teaching of Islam. As you might expect, others disagree.

1 John 2:23 English Standard Version (ESV)

23 No one who denies the Son has the Father. Whoever confesses the Son has the Father also.
"Doggies are angel babies!" -- my wife

Pb

• friend
« Reply #64 on: October 18, 2019, 09:23:02 AM »
I read an interesting book by James Blish- "A Case of Conscience."

It is about the discovery of an alien world populated by intelligent reptiles.

They live in apparent peace with a perfect morality... and with no concept of God.

A Catholic scientist on the expedition decides that they are actually creations of Satan.

Then it gets weird...

Good book.

Ron

• friends
  • Like a tree planted by the rivers of water
    • What I believe ...
« Reply #65 on: October 18, 2019, 11:12:29 AM »
I read an interesting book by James Blish- "A Case of Conscience."

It is about the discovery of an alien world populated by intelligent reptiles.

They live in apparent peace with a perfect morality... and with no concept of God.

A Catholic scientist on the expedition decides that they are actually creations of Satan.

Then it gets weird...

Good book.

Sounds like it is based on the concept of the "noble savage".
For the invisible things of him since the creation of the world are clearly seen, being perceived through the things that are made, even his everlasting power and divinity, that they may be without excuse. Because knowing God, they didn’t glorify him as God, and didn’t give thanks, but became vain in their reasoning, and their senseless heart was darkened. Professing themselves to be wise, they became fools.

WLJ

• friends
  • On Patrol In The Epsilon Eridani System
« Reply #66 on: October 19, 2019, 07:03:13 PM »
If there isn't* intelligent life elsewhere in the universe you know what means right?

It's all ours.

*highly unlikely IMHO considering the numbers
"Sometimes I think the surest sign that intelligent life exists elsewhere in the universe is that none of it has tried to contact us".
- Calvin and Hobbes

Pb

• friend
« Reply #67 on: October 21, 2019, 09:09:00 AM »
Sounds like it is based on the concept of the "noble savage".

Not exactly...  >:D