Author Topic: Cockroach milk: The superfood of the future is now  (Read 736 times)

MechAg94

• friend
Cockroach milk: The superfood of the future is now
« on: October 20, 2019, 06:04:03 PM »
https://bigthink.com/this-gross-creature-may-create-the-superfood-of-the-future.amp.html?__twitter_impression=true
They probably should have kept the exact origin a secret. 
A team from the Institute of Stem Cell Biology and Regenerative Medicine in India has sequenced a protein crystal from the gut of Diploptera punctata (Pacific Beetle Cockroach), the only known cockroach to give birth to live young. To feed its offspring, the roach also produces a milk-like substance with protein crystals which have three times the energy of buffalo milk.

Before you start imagining how you can milk a cockroach, the scientists have dismissed such an option and are instead sequencing the genes responsible for the production of milk protein crystals.

"The crystals are like a complete food - they have proteins, fats and sugars. If you look into the protein sequences, they have all the essential amino acids," said one scientist from the team, Sanchari Banerjee, to the Times of India.

What's also fascinating, the milk crystals release proteins not all at once but in accordance with the speed of digestion.
“It is much more important to kill bad bills than to pass good ones.”  ― Calvin Coolidge

RocketMan

• Mad Rocket Scientist
  • friend
  • Semper Fidelis
Re: Cockroach milk: The superfood of the future is now
« Reply #1 on: October 20, 2019, 07:33:19 PM »
I don't...  uh, it's not really... could there be... what will it take...?  Nevermind.  No.  Just no.
If there really was intelligent life on other planets, we'd be sending them foreign aid.

Conservatives see George Orwell's "1984" as a cautionary tale.  Progressives view it as a "how to" manual.

My wife often says to me, "You are evil and must be destroyed." She may be right.

Liberals believe one should never let reason, logic and facts get in the way of a good emotional argument.

MechAg94

• friend
« Reply #2 on: October 20, 2019, 08:08:40 PM »
I figure they would genetically engineer a goat or cow or something to make this type of milk.  I still think there would be resistance to consuming it.....by humans I mean. 

Of course, if they used it to come up with a new drink with substantial alcohol content and call it something like "Mother's Milk", then who knows. 
“It is much more important to kill bad bills than to pass good ones.”  ― Calvin Coolidge

BlueStarLizzard

• Queen of the Cislords
  • friend
  • Oh please, nobody died last time...
"Okay, um, I'm lost. Uh, I'm angry, and I'm armed, so if you two have something that you need to work out --" -Malcolm Reynolds

WLJ

• friends
  • On Patrol In The Epsilon Eridani System
« Reply #4 on: October 20, 2019, 09:53:46 PM »
"Sometimes I think the surest sign that intelligent life exists elsewhere in the universe is that none of it has tried to contact us".
- Calvin and Hobbes

AZRedhawk44

• friends
« Reply #5 on: October 20, 2019, 10:10:01 PM »
I figure they would genetically engineer a goat or cow or something to make this type of milk.  I still think there would be resistance to consuming it.....by humans I mean. 

Of course, if they used it to come up with a new drink with substantial alcohol content and call it something like "Mother's Milk", then who knows. 

Or "Mudder's Milk."

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pI-fiGUjAPY
"But whether the Constitution really be one thing, or another, this much is certain - that it has either authorized such a government as we have had, or has been powerless to prevent it. In either case, it is unfit to exist."
--Lysander Spooner

I reject your authoritah!

MechAg94

• friend
« Reply #6 on: October 20, 2019, 10:20:26 PM »
Thanks for the correction.  I haven't watched that episode in a while.

Andiron

• friend
"Leftism destroys everything good." -  Ron

There is no fixing stupid. But, you can line it up in front of a wall and offer it a last smoke.

There is no such thing as a "transgender" person.  Only mental illness that should be discouraged.

dogmush

• friend
« Reply #8 on: October 21, 2019, 01:28:53 AM »
meh.  Protein is Protein.

We (humanity) are relatively rich right now and can afford to be primadonnas about what we eat.*  Let the AGW prophets win politically, (or be right) and food will get a whole lot more expensive, and bugs will be back on the menu for a lot of people.  Honestly a processed protein drink like this is more palatable to me then just eating the fried bugs, which I have done.

*To be clear, I am a huge fan of our current lifestyle of cheap food and energy, which allows us to debate which strain of Wagyu cow tastes the best after how much ageing.  But all this "choosey about food" is a sign of exactly how much luxury humanity has carved out for itself.

MechAg94

• friend
« Reply #9 on: October 21, 2019, 03:48:59 PM »
True.

Also consider how many people used to have home vegetable gardens.  You don't see that as much anymore.