Author Topic: Ask your doctor if antibiotics are an option for appendicitis  (Read 864 times)

MillCreek

• Skippy The Wonder Dog
  • friend
  • APS Risk Manager
Ask your doctor if antibiotics are an option for appendicitis
« on: October 05, 2020, 02:54:13 PM »
https://www.nejm.org/doi/full/10.1056/NEJMoa2014320

In some situations, antibiotics are a viable treatment option for appendicitis.

Quote from: Angel Eyes on August 09, 2018, 01:56:15 AM
You are one lousy risk manager.

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
Re: Ask your doctor if antibiotics are an option for appendicitis
« Reply #1 on: October 05, 2020, 02:59:04 PM »
Interesting. As a layman, I just figured once people were in enough distress to see the doctor, that things were at the point that the appendix had to go. A non-invasive option is always a plus.
"I'm a foolish old man that has been drawn into a wild goose chase by a harpy in trousers and a nincompoop."

Hawkmoon

• friend
« Reply #2 on: October 05, 2020, 06:54:35 PM »
After reading the article, the antiobiotic option doesn't strike me as being particularly attractive. Three months out, a third of those who took the antibiotics had to undergo appendectomy anyway. I'd ratther just get it over with.
- - - - - - - - - - - - -
100% Politically Incorrect by Design

Silver Bullet

• friend
« Reply #3 on: October 05, 2020, 07:11:59 PM »
things were at the point that the appendix had to go.

That's what I always thought, that appendicitis is very time critical.  If you let the appendix burst you have a bunch of new problems with the infection spreading through your system.

That's why I always advocate for an appendix transplant, if you can find a donor in time!   :old:

grampster

• friend
« Reply #4 on: October 05, 2020, 07:50:00 PM »
An acquaintance of mine back in the 80's had a burst appendix.  He was in the hospital at least a week and had a bed and medical apparatus set up in his living room at home where he was bedridden for nearly a month with nurses visits nearly every day.  He nearly died from the infection.

"Never wrestle with a pig.  You get dirty, and besides, the pig likes it."  G.B. Shaw

Fly320s

• friend
  • Formerly, Arthur, King of the Britons
« Reply #5 on: October 05, 2020, 08:01:04 PM »
Eat your yogurt and probiotics.
Islamic sex dolls.  Do they blow themselves up?

K Frame

• friend
  • I Am Inimical
« Reply #6 on: October 06, 2020, 07:19:26 AM »
I forget who it was, but a bit baseball star in the 1960s or 1970s came down with chronic appendicitis during the season. He didn't want to take time out of the pennant race so they treated him with antibiotics.

Worked well enough that he got through the season and had it yanked after the playoffs. It was a calculated risk.

These days, though, with laproscopic surgery being what it is, it's almost silly not to have it pulled at the first sign of trouble.
Carbon Monoxide, sucking the life out of idiots, 'tards, and fools since man tamed fire.

MillCreek

• Skippy The Wonder Dog
  • friend
  • APS Risk Manager
« Reply #7 on: October 06, 2020, 10:26:40 AM »
My ex-wife, the independent duty corpsman, was trained to manage appendicitis with antibiotics, if she was in a remote duty station or sea deployment in which surgery was not readily available.  She was also trained to do an appendectomy if it came to that.

Quote from: Angel Eyes on August 09, 2018, 01:56:15 AM
You are one lousy risk manager.

grampster

• friend
« Reply #8 on: October 06, 2020, 10:06:44 PM »
Laproscopic surgery is a terrific advance.  I had my gall bladder out that way.  Outpatient.  Surgery around 11AM and enroute home around 4PM.

The DaVinci robot is another medical marvel.  I had my cancerous prostate removed using the DaVinci.  5 holes in my abdomen.   I was allowed to go home the day after the surgery, though I stayed one extra day.  The University of Michigan hospital has a hotel in the hospital which made that an easy choice as we had about 125 mile drive home.  Recovery time with regular surgery is a longer hospital stay and at least 6 weeks recovery.  I was pretty much fine after a little over 2 weeks.
"Never wrestle with a pig.  You get dirty, and besides, the pig likes it."  G.B. Shaw

K Frame

• friend
  • I Am Inimical
« Reply #9 on: October 07, 2020, 09:55:01 AM »
Mtnbkr had his gall bladder out lapro style maybe 10-12 years ago or so. The only problem he had with it was he sneezed suddenly and didn't have time to brace. He said that was sporty.

I did a little more digging into this, and while I've not found the name of the star I'm remember, I did find an article about Stan Musial having appendix trouble in the late 1940s and they treated it with... freezing. I'd never heard of that before.

Also found an article from 1996 that mentioned that Brady Anderson had an appendix flare and that he didn't undergo surgery. From the article, Lapro appendix removal was a thing back then.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/archive/lifestyle/wellness/1996/07/30/playing-baseball-with-appendicitis/62cc14e2-580e-4e8d-92ee-6f5196de117e/#:~:text=When%20Baltimore%20Orioles%27%20star%20Brady%20Anderson%20recently%20announced,of%20sport%20may%20sometimes%20be%20possible%2C%20even%20admirable.
Carbon Monoxide, sucking the life out of idiots, 'tards, and fools since man tamed fire.

AJ Dual

• friends
  • Shoe Ballistics Inc.
« Reply #10 on: October 09, 2020, 12:39:12 PM »
An acquaintance of mine back in the 80's had a burst appendix.  He was in the hospital at least a week and had a bed and medical apparatus set up in his living room at home where he was bedridden for nearly a month with nurses visits nearly every day.  He nearly died from the infection.

When I was 19 years old, I had appendicitis. The pain wasn't acute, and presented as a feeling of fullness and pressure. After taking Tylenol and sleeping on it for a few hours, and then it keeping me up for the rest of the night, I finally went to the ER early in the morning, about 5am, on the chance it was something serious, but expecting it to be just some unusual GI distress and to be sent home.

That's when I spiked a fever, and started vomiting. Labs came back with elevated white cells etc.

They admitted me for an appendectomy, but being otherwise young and healthy, I kept getting bumped for emergency surgeries and waited until 2pm to go under the knife. By then it had burst. So I wound up staying in the hospital for a week on IV antibiotics.

No complications otherwise.
I promise not to duck.

lee n. field

• friend
  • tinpot megalomaniac, Paulbot, hardware goon
« Reply #11 on: October 09, 2020, 08:01:38 PM »
My ex-wife, the independent duty corpsman, was trained to manage appendicitis with antibiotics, if she was in a remote duty station or sea deployment in which surgery was not readily available.  She was also trained to do an appendectomy if it came to that.

Way back in the day (late '70s) a friend of our was working on getting into med school.  It took her a couple years of trying before she got accepted.  (She's a dr. with the CDC now, last I heard.).  Anyway, in that intermediate period she did a short stretch volunteering with a medical missionary in Thailand.  Anyway, according to her, appendectomies were fairly common there.  And not difficult to do.
In thy presence is fulness of joy.
At thy right hand pleasures for evermore.