Author Topic: Random questions  (Read 4654 times)

Monkeyleg

• friend
  • Tattaglia is a pimp.
    • http://www.gunshopfinder.com
Random questions
« on: October 17, 2014, 11:34:45 PM »
I've seen all of the Jason Bourne movies quite a few times over the years. It hit me when watching one of them the other night that he never had a job in any of the movies. How did he travel all over the world? Apparently he and his girlfriend lived in India for two years, but you never see him flipping burgers or selling mattresses. How did he do that?

On a site I visit nightly, I see ads for motorcycle helmets. Tonight there was one ad for a Scorpion model, and another ad for a Shark. Why don't underwear makers ever name mens briefs "Scorpion" or "Shark"? For that matter, why don't motorcycle helmet makers ever have a Fruit of the Loom model?

People here in Alabama, and maybe in the rest of the south, call shopping carts "buggies". People in Milwaukee call drinking fountains "bubblers". How can people just 700 miles apart speak the same language so differently, and neither of them correctly?

More to come as my mind wanders.

Viking

• ❤︎ Fuck around & find out ❤︎
  • friend
  • Carnist Bloodmouth
Re: Random questions
« Reply #1 on: October 17, 2014, 11:55:43 PM »
I've seen all of the Jason Bourne movies quite a few times over the years. It hit me when watching one of them the other night that he never had a job in any of the movies. How did he travel all over the world? Apparently he and his girlfriend lived in India for two years, but you never see him flipping burgers or selling mattresses. How did he do that?
I don't remember everything from the movie, but in the book, he had a small fortune in a Swiss bank account, and possibly also money and some useful things in the deposit box. In the movie, he had a deposit box. Unsure if he also had a bank account.
« Last Edit: October 18, 2014, 12:02:12 AM by Viking »
“The modern world will not be punished. It is the punishment.” — Nicolás Gómez Dávila

bedlamite

• Hold my beer and watch this!
  • friend
  • Ack! PLBTTPHBT!
« Reply #2 on: October 18, 2014, 12:05:07 AM »
If you swallow a burp does it turn into a fart?

A plan is just a list of things that doesn't happen.
Is defenestration possible through the overton window?

Perd Hapley

• Superstar of the Internet
  • friend
  • My prepositions are on/in
« Reply #3 on: October 18, 2014, 12:45:55 AM »

What Viking said, plus we don't see much of what he did in India. His girlfriend was supposed to have had some kind of store.

Unless you're talking about this movie:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bcSqZzR9xFY

=) Wouldn't know about that one.
"Doggies are angel babies!" -- my wife

cassandra and sara's daddy

• friends
« Reply #4 on: October 18, 2014, 01:36:26 AM »
Spooks can skim a lot of cash.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD
It is much more powerful to seek Truth for one's self.  Seeing and hearing that others seem to have found it can be a motivation.  With me, I was drawn because of much error and bad judgment on my part. Confronting one's own errors and bad judgment is a very life altering situation.  Confronting the errors and bad judgment of others is usually hypocrisy.

by someone older and wiser than I

Viking

• ❤︎ Fuck around & find out ❤︎
  • friend
  • Carnist Bloodmouth
« Reply #5 on: October 18, 2014, 01:56:13 AM »
Spooks can skim a lot of cash.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD
In the books, the cash was provided by the CIA to help with his cover as an international terrorist/assassin.
“The modern world will not be punished. It is the punishment.” — Nicolás Gómez Dávila

sumpnz

• friend
« Reply #6 on: October 18, 2014, 02:07:35 AM »
In the books, the cash was provided by the CIA to help with his cover as an international terrorist/assassin.

And living in India doesn't take much cash.

Regolith

• friend
« Reply #7 on: October 18, 2014, 03:03:22 AM »
People in Milwaukee call drinking fountains "bubblers". How can people just 700 miles apart speak the same language so differently, and neither of them correctly?

It's a case of a trademark becoming generecized, kind of like "Kleenex".  The original Bubblers were produced by Kohler, which started off in Kohler, Wisconsin.

They have bubblers in Portland, OR, too. They were installed by a former Wisconsin resident named Simon Benson, and they're known as Benson Bubblers.
The price of freedom is eternal vigilance. - Thomas Jefferson

Necessity is the plea for every infringement of human freedom. It is the argument of tyrants; it is the creed of slaves. - William Pitt the Younger

Perfectly symmetrical violence never solved anything. - Professor Hubert J. Farnsworth

French G.

• friend
  • ohhh sparkles!
« Reply #8 on: October 18, 2014, 03:30:44 AM »
Worse is when you end  up in a restaurant and order a coke and then the girl asks you what kind.  Usually in the same zone where ham is no longer ham and sweet tea is not an option.
AKA Navy Joe   

I'm so contrarian that I didn't respond to the thread.

Perd Hapley

• friend
« Reply #9 on: October 18, 2014, 09:47:58 AM »
Worse is when you end  up in a restaurant and order a coke and then the girl asks you what kind.  Usually in the same zone where ham is no longer ham and sweet tea is not an option.

Where would this be, and what is the "ham"?

Fly320s

• friend
  • Formerly, Arthur, King of the Britons
« Reply #10 on: October 18, 2014, 10:01:27 AM »
Random answers:

Yes.

C.

Smoke, mirrors, and diversions.

Only on a dare.

Plaid.

42, of course.
Islamic sex dolls.  Do they blow themselves up?

HankB

• friend
« Reply #11 on: October 18, 2014, 10:28:37 AM »
I've seen all of the Jason Bourne movies quite a few times over the years. It hit me when watching one of them the other night that he never had a job in any of the movies. How did he travel all over the world? Apparently he and his girlfriend lived in India for two years, but you never see him flipping burgers or selling mattresses. How did he do that? A good movie spy will have no problem swiping plenty of cash - look at James Bond; he was never shown living the lifestyle a British subject would have based on what the Crown paid him.

On a site I visit nightly, I see ads for motorcycle helmets. Tonight there was one ad for a Scorpion model, and another ad for a Shark. Why don't underwear makers ever name mens briefs "Scorpion" or "Shark"? Ouch! For that matter, why don't motorcycle helmet makers ever have a Fruit of the Loom model? Trademark infringement.

People here in Alabama, and maybe in the rest of the south, call shopping carts "buggies". Heard that term a lot growing up in Chicago. People in Milwaukee call drinking fountains "bubblers". Heard about this, but never actually heard it used. How can people just 700 miles apart speak the same language so differently, and neither of them correctly? Doesn't take 700 miles - when I was still in Chicago, the English spoken at, say, 33rd and State (on the IIT campus) was profoundly different from the dialect spoken just a few blocks north, east, or south.
Trump won in 2016. Democrats haven't been so offended since Republicans came along and freed their slaves.
Sometimes I wonder if the world is being run by smart people who are putting us on, or by imbeciles who really mean it. - Mark Twain
Government is a broker in pillage, and every election is a sort of advance auction in stolen goods. - H.L. Mencken
Patriotism is supporting your country all the time, and your government when it deserves it. - Mark Twain

bedlamite

• Hold my beer and watch this!
  • friend
  • Ack! PLBTTPHBT!
« Reply #12 on: October 18, 2014, 10:33:56 AM »
Why are pizzas round, but the box they come in is square?
A plan is just a list of things that doesn't happen.
Is defenestration possible through the overton window?

Brad Johnson

• friend
  • Witty, charming, handsome, and completely insane.
« Reply #13 on: October 18, 2014, 10:40:43 AM »
You've heard of Movie Physics? Welcome to Movie Accounting.

Brad
It's all about the pancakes, people.
"And he thought cops wouldn't chase... a STOLEN DONUT TRUCK???? That would be like Willie Nelson ignoring a pickup full of weed."
-HankB

Tallpine

• friends
  • Grumpy Old Grandpa
« Reply #14 on: October 18, 2014, 11:03:18 AM »
How many roads must a man walk down?
Freedom is a heavy load, a great and strange burden for the spirit to undertake. It is not easy. It is not a gift given, but a choice made, and the choice may be a hard one. The road goes upward toward the light; but the laden traveller may never reach the end of it.  - Ursula Le Guin

Monkeyleg

• friend
  • Tattaglia is a pimp.
« Reply #15 on: October 18, 2014, 11:20:14 AM »
How many roads must a man walk down?

Dunno. I think that answer's blowing in the wind.

In the Bourne movies, he has a bunch of cash in a safety deposit box. Hard to tell how much. But later, after Pamela Landy is brought in on the case, she makes a big point about Conklin having $760,000 in his personal bank account. If Conklin was Bourne's superior, I doubt Bourne would have had that much. Also, when he splits up with Marie at her British friend's house, Bourne gives her a bunch of cash, and says he just kept $30K for himself. $30K wouldn't last long travelling all over Europe for a year.

Fly320s

• friend
  • Formerly, Arthur, King of the Britons
« Reply #16 on: October 18, 2014, 12:11:56 PM »

In the Bourne movies, he has a bunch of cash in a safety deposit box. Hard to tell how much. But later, after Pamela Landy is brought in on the case, she makes a big point about Conklin having $760,000 in his personal bank account. If Conklin was Bourne's superior, I doubt Bourne would have had that much. Also, when he splits up with Marie at her British friend's house, Bourne gives her a bunch of cash, and says he just kept $30K for himself. $30K wouldn't last long travelling all over Europe for a year.

Repeat after me, "It is a movie.  It isn't real."
Islamic sex dolls.  Do they blow themselves up?

Perd Hapley

• friend
« Reply #17 on: October 18, 2014, 03:54:30 PM »

In the Bourne movies, he has a bunch of cash in a safety deposit box. Hard to tell how much. But later, after Pamela Landy is brought in on the case, she makes a big point about Conklin having $760,000 in his personal bank account. If Conklin was Bourne's superior, I doubt Bourne would have had that much. Also, when he splits up with Marie at her British friend's house, Bourne gives her a bunch of cash, and says he just kept $30K for himself. $30K wouldn't last long traveling all over Europe for a year.

Did they say he traveled all over Europe for a year? 

I don't see why he would necessarily have less than Conklin (and keep in mind, we don't know how many other accounts or piles of buried gold Conklin had). Bourne wouldn't necessarily get paid less. I think you'd pay a guy quite a bit, if you wanted him to keep quiet about all of the killing he'd done for you. And if you wanted to stay on his good side (so he doesn't kill you).

Besides, I don't think the cash was payment. It was an expense account, and wouldn't the "assets" have a lot more expenses than their handlers? They travel, they kill people, and you need them to have enough (untraceable) cash to get what they need discreetly.

MechAg94

• friend
« Reply #18 on: October 18, 2014, 04:35:32 PM »
Why are pizzas round, but the box they come in is square?
The pans they are served on in the restaurant are round. 

If you can mass produce a round cardboard box that is easy to fold, patent it. 
“It is much more important to kill bad bills than to pass good ones.”  ― Calvin Coolidge

Monkeyleg

• friend
  • Tattaglia is a pimp.
« Reply #19 on: October 18, 2014, 04:36:18 PM »
Another question. In Paul Simon's 1972 song "Me and Julio Down By the Schoolyard", Simon parodies a Hispanic (Puerto Rican?) youth. It wasn't considered racist then. Is it racist now? Is the song still played? Is playing it racist?  Is Paul Simon, who's Jewish, a "white Hispanic" in the same way that George Zimmerman, who is Hispanic but has a Jewish name, a white Hispanic?

MechAg94

• friend
« Reply #20 on: October 18, 2014, 04:38:19 PM »
You see the generic coke term down here in Texas a lot. 
“It is much more important to kill bad bills than to pass good ones.”  ― Calvin Coolidge

Perd Hapley

• friend
« Reply #21 on: October 18, 2014, 05:09:14 PM »
You see the generic coke term down here in Texas a lot. 

I know in one part of Texas, it's "soda water."

Perd Hapley

• friend
« Reply #22 on: October 18, 2014, 05:12:38 PM »
Another question. In Paul Simon's 1972 song "Me and Julio Down By the Schoolyard", Simon parodies a Hispanic (Puerto Rican?) youth. It wasn't considered racist then. Is it racist now? Is the song still played? Is playing it racist?  

Uh, it mentions a guy named Julio, if you think that's a parody of anyone.  ???

Marnoot

• friend
« Reply #23 on: October 18, 2014, 05:38:29 PM »

RoadKingLarry

• friends
« Reply #24 on: October 18, 2014, 08:47:35 PM »
As a kid "coke" was a generic term in my neck of the woods.

Hey Bubba garb me a coke.
Sure, what do you want?
I'll have a Dr. Pepper.

it's pretty solid as "pop" now.

How come you never see a toilet on Star Trek?
If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude better than the animating contest of freedom, go home from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or your arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains set lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that you were our countrymen.

Samuel Adams