Author Topic: I Can Has Incorporation  (Read 24224 times)

AZRedhawk44

• friends
Re: I Can Has Incorporation
« Reply #75 on: July 02, 2010, 02:06:08 PM »
OK, just did some google-search.

About 40-50 million HOUSEHOLDS own guns, and there are about 250 million guns.

HOUSEHOLD <> each person in household is gun owner, ready to water that tree of liberty, though.  Usually dad owns a gun/guns, wife and kids not involved.  So, call it 20-30 million gun owners.

Interesting that each gun owner essentially owns 10 guns, according to the numbers I'm finding.
"But whether the Constitution really be one thing, or another, this much is certain - that it has either authorized such a government as we have had, or has been powerless to prevent it. In either case, it is unfit to exist."
--Lysander Spooner

I reject your authoritah!

kgbsquirrel

• APS Photoshop God
  • friend
  • Bill, slayer of threads.
« Reply #76 on: July 02, 2010, 02:56:04 PM »
OK, just did some google-search.

About 40-50 million HOUSEHOLDS own guns, and there are about 250 million guns.

HOUSEHOLD <> each person in household is gun owner, ready to water that tree of liberty, though.  Usually dad owns a gun/guns, wife and kids not involved.  So, call it 20-30 million gun owners.

Interesting that each gun owner essentially owns 10 guns, according to the numbers I'm finding.

Logic fail. If only one person in a household is the actual gun owner there are only 20-30 million gun owners, and 50 million households have guns, then exactly who in those other 20-30 million households is the person specifically keeping those guns?

Anyways, those are off a bit, pre-2007 it was on the order of 80M homes and 270M guns. That number has been significantly growing over the past few years, for instance if you look at the number of NICS checks (by the by a single check can cover the purchase of multiple firearms) it has been averaging around a million a month, or more, since August 2007.

RevDisk

• friend
    • RevDisk.net
« Reply #77 on: July 02, 2010, 10:01:33 PM »
There's ~100 million guns in the US, last I heard.  Considering many gun owning households have multiple guns in them, I'd say that probably there are a mere 20 million gun owners in the US.  Less than 10% of the population.

Ah...  I've heard there's more than three times your estimate.  No one knows, and I pray to the Gods, no one ever will have an overly accurate assessment of firearms or their number of owners.

It doesn't matter specifically how many millions of gun owners there are.  It's at least double digits of millions.  I have few doubts that LE organizations would enthusiastically participate in arresting, detaining or if necessary executing firearm owners in violation of the law, regardless of whether the law is obviously unconstitutional or not.  The military would do its best to stay out of the matter, moreso on historical grounds than "liberty" related ones.  The military is correctly adverse to handling routine law enforcement tasks, and very well should be.

Despite that, I think the most important aspect would be sheer numbers and not "from my cold dead hands variety".  You'd be talking some percentage of tens of millions of US citizens being deprived of existing civil liberties and property.  That'd not go over that well.  The number of lawsuits alone would be impressive. 

I really don't think they'd ever go for mass confiscation.  Again, just due to the numbers.  Their best bet would be to strangle off the numbers.  Most likely through taxation or insane numbers of laws.  Basically, what they have been doing up until now.  If they go too fast, they get backlash.  Their goal would be to kill off the culture first, then move onto the guns when the number of owners is too small to make a dent in any voting patterns. 

That's what I'm most pleased of with incorporation.  You'll have large numbers of potential new firearm owners.  A percentage of them, maybe a low percentage or maybe not, will start to really like them and begin to care about their civil rights.  If we establish enough of a gun culture in historically hostile areas, they'd act as a buffer.   Even if Heller and McDonald were over turned, the legislatures would need to pass new laws infringing on civil liberties.  If a significant gun culture grew up before the overturning, that'd be difficult. 

You have no idea how many contacts I have "over the wall" in very anti-2A states/cities that honestly would like to protect themselves.  New potential recruits, who will hopefully draw in even more folks.  We might have a chance to add another 20 million or more US voters into our ranks.  Better yet, from nontraditional sources. 

"Rev, your picture is in my King James Bible, where Paul talks about "inventors of evil."  Yes, I know you'll take that as a compliment."  - Fistful, possibly highest compliment I've ever received.

KD5NRH

• friends
  • I'm too sexy for you people.
« Reply #78 on: July 02, 2010, 10:38:51 PM »
It doesn't matter specifically how many millions of gun owners there are.  It's at least double digits of millions.  I have few doubts that LE organizations would enthusiastically participate in arresting, detaining or if necessary executing firearm owners in violation of the law, regardless of whether the law is obviously unconstitutional or not.

Depends largely on the LE agency in question.  I've had local police and county deputies state flatly that when they ask if there is a gun in the house, it's a yes or no question; they don't want to know anything beyond whether they should ask you to talk outside in case a general confiscation ever comes up.  Of course, the outgoing police chief put in a lot of work to get CHL restrictions repealed in the city, and the sheriff is a long-time RKBA supporter, so I'd expect less trouble here than in some other places.