Author Topic: Republicans kill Senate jobless aid measure  (Read 7774 times)

Jamisjockey

• Booze-fueled paragon of pointless cruelty and wanton sadism
  • friend
  • Your mom sends me care packages
Re: Republicans kill Senate jobless aid measure
« Reply #25 on: June 27, 2010, 09:15:05 PM »
This is an interesting point.   How many posters on here are just against unemployment insurance period.  No if, ands or buts.

Me.  I'm against all welfare.  I don't even care if its for the children, retarded, or congress.
JD

The price of a lottery ticket seems to be the maximum most folks are willing to risk toward the dream of becoming a one-percenter. “Robert Hollis”

Scout26

• I'm a leaf on the wind.
  • friend
  • I spent a week in that town one night....
« Reply #26 on: June 27, 2010, 09:20:30 PM »
Me.  I'm against all welfare.  I don't even care if its for the children, retarded, or congress.

Of which all three are the same.....
Some days even my lucky rocketship underpants won't help.

Bring me my Broadsword and a clear understanding.
Get up to the roundhouse on the cliff-top standing.
Take women and children and bed them down.
Bless with a hard heart those that stand with me.
Bless the women and children who firm our hands.
Put our backs to the north wind.
Hold fast by the river.
Sweet memories to drive us on,
for the motherland.

MechAg94

• friend
« Reply #27 on: June 27, 2010, 11:02:11 PM »
The sad thing about all those programs is that I bet they are welfare for a bunch of worthless govt bureaucrats as much or more than for the people receiving benefits. 
“It is much more important to kill bad bills than to pass good ones.”  ― Calvin Coolidge

Monkeyleg

• friend
  • Tattaglia is a pimp.
    • http://www.gunshopfinder.com
« Reply #28 on: June 27, 2010, 11:33:28 PM »
Even when I wasn't self-employed and I lost my job, I didn't wait for unemployment insurance. Back then, though, a low-level job could usually be had quickly.

Tallpine

• friends
  • Grumpy Old Grandpa
« Reply #29 on: June 28, 2010, 11:03:42 AM »
Even when I wasn't self-employed and I lost my job, I didn't wait for unemployment insurance. Back then, though, a low-level job could usually be had quickly.

Back then - even during those Dark Carter Years - there was less govt regulation and jobs could had with a phone call most of the time.

Back then, I was younger, didn't hurt all the time, and didn't own a home and land to maintain.
Freedom is a heavy load, a great and strange burden for the spirit to undertake. It is not easy. It is not a gift given, but a choice made, and the choice may be a hard one. The road goes upward toward the light; but the laden traveller may never reach the end of it.  - Ursula Le Guin

SteveT

« Reply #30 on: June 30, 2010, 02:36:27 PM »
The problem with cutting spending in general is that eventually (to make any real inroads on the debt) the spending cut will be a popular program and the cut will take money out of people's pockets.    The politician(s) who enact these cuts will become wildly unpopular and voted out in favor of ones who will put the cut programs back in place.

It's a vicious cycle.

Hawkmoon

• friend
« Reply #31 on: June 30, 2010, 07:51:02 PM »
My company is a corporation, so I'm a corporation. I pay the unemployment premiums even though I have no employees, and I can never collect.

I'm not alone in that situation at all.

How is that not "welfare"?

If your company is a corporation, then you must be an employee. If you aren't, you should have a chat with your accountant.
- - - - - - - - - - - - -
100% Politically Incorrect by Design

Monkeyleg

• friend
  • Tattaglia is a pimp.
    • http://www.gunshopfinder.com
« Reply #32 on: June 30, 2010, 10:54:26 PM »
Yes, I'm an employee. But as the president/ceo/head poohbah of the corp, I still can't collect. I've looked into it.

sanman

« Reply #33 on: July 01, 2010, 08:24:41 AM »
Back then - even during those Dark Carter Years - there was less govt regulation and jobs could had with a phone call most of the time.

Back then, I was younger, didn't hurt all the time, and didn't own a home and land to maintain.

I can completely identify with those statements. I'm unemployed...for the first time in my life and I'm 53. I've been working since I was 14. Started on a horse ranch for years through school then full time at other jobs while going to college. Never graduated but eventually found my way into the IT biz in '83 and never looked back. I was recruited from my first job in the biz after 5 years then weathered 2 major aquisitions......maintaining the same level of engineering expertise while aquiring and assimilating new technology at the speed it showed it's ugly head. I.E., I hadn't seriously looked for a job in 26 years when I was laid off in advance of another aquisition. I survived through God knows how many layoffs/headcount reductions over the years at all three of these companies, not because of who I knew, but because of what I brought to the table.

Now my unemployment has expired. I waited 3 months to file because I had a good severance package...thought I'd get something that soon. No such luck. I won't bore you with the details, but I've worked as hard or harder to get a job than I did to keep one, and I was working 70 hrs a week while employed and on call 24/7.

Do I think we should extend unemployment benefits? No. Would I file for and draw them if they did? Hell Yes. Wanna know where the engineering jobs are? With .gov contractors. Wanna know what 90% require? A current clearance. Never needed one before (I supported the engineers that had the clearances and went to many very secure sites when needed, just not often) so I'm screwed competing with thousands of others for the few jobs that don't require a clearance.

Think I haven't tried going for jobs I could easily do making much less? You'd be wrong...either no reply or a polite "we don't have anything for someone at your level right now". Don't even think about asking about the applications for jobs that have no revelance to my experience but pay less than unemployment. Would I do them? Yes. Will they hire me? No.

I'm posting an ad today selling my services (don't get queesy now). Gotta Kubota tractor with a bucketloader and bush hog, finish mower, post hole digger and blade. I've been using these tools for myself maintaining my property now I'll put them to work. Have the 16 foot trailer to haul them too. With any luck I'll find a job working 3rd shift that makes enough to pay for health benefits for us with a little left over and fill in during the days with work sitting on the tractor. I'll pay the bills and sleep when I can.

One thing is for sure...things will never be the same again. Maybe that's good, maybe not. It is what it is.

sanman

« Reply #34 on: July 02, 2010, 10:33:15 PM »
Update.
Received word that my interim clearance came through today. Start next Wed. doing what I do best. Last post still stands. I got lucky. Very few chances for an old fart, or younger experienced fart to get a foot in the door this way. Hope more oportunities open up for this type of entry. Seems to be rare from my experience.

That said, I learned a lot about myself the last 16 months. I realized I was stronger than I realized, and less confident (at times) and weaker at the same time if that makes sense. I got a chance to identify some faults/flaws (not all, for sure) and correct them as I saw fit. Won't quote the old what doesn't kill you thing, although it's true. Been there, have the scars. Biggest thing I learned...I got stronger AND more confident by BEING stronger and more confident.

If it hadn't been for my family, I'm not sure of what direction I would have taken. It would have been interesting at the very least. If it hadn't been for a good friend, I might not have looked inside myself for strength. That's where it was all along. Hope he realizes that.

Headless Thompson Gunner

• friend
« Reply #35 on: July 06, 2010, 09:28:03 PM »
Insurance is funded by premiums paid voluntarily.  Welfare is funded by government through forced taxation.

Now, which one of these is unemployment?