Author Topic: Explain, please ...  (Read 2048 times)

Hawkmoon

• friend
Explain, please ...
« on: June 26, 2010, 03:53:24 PM »
... why there is even such a category as "Hispanic."

http://www.cnn.com/2010/US/06/23/census.race.questions/index.html

Errors in census interviews misinterpret racial, ethnic identity
By Liane Membis, CNN
June 25, 2010 3:14 p.m. EDT

Race and ethnicity questions, which are required to be filled out on the census, were improperly completed by some Census workers.

STORY HIGHLIGHTS

* Seventy-one census workers did not follow procedures for follow-up
    * Assumptions were made about respondents' race and ethnicity
    * Recommendations will improve door-to-door techniques

(CNN) -- For the past eight weeks, census workers have been knocking on doors and ringing bells all across America -- but in some cases, they've been nixing questions about race and ethnicity, says a new government report.

According to a recent report by the U.S. Commerce Department Office of the Inspector General, 71 out of 480 observed census workers failed to follow procedures when conducting face-to-face census gathering. The Census Bureau hired more than 600,000 temporary employees to visit homes and conduct in-person interviews of individuals who did not mail their census forms.

The true "Hispanics" are descendants of the Spanish conquistadors. And "Hispanic" includes people from Spain and Portugal, as well as from South America. But Spain is a European country and, as far as I know, the Spanish are ethnically not really different from the French and the Italians.

So what, exactly, is "Hispanic" and why is it a separate category from "White"? (And, by the way, what ever happened to "Caucasian"?) My wife is a Latina, and she certainly thinks of herself as "white" and "Caucasian." She is from a South American country, and she is very proud of the fact that her family traces its heritage back to the Spanish. She doesn't particularly like being lumped in with a bunch of indigenous Americans, Cubanos (whom she doesn't like much), and Puerto Ricans (whom she likes even less).
- - - - - - - - - - - - -
100% Politically Incorrect by Design

tyme

• expat
  • friend
  • Did you know that dolphins are just gay sharks?
    • TFL Library
Re: Explain, please ...
« Reply #1 on: June 26, 2010, 04:59:47 PM »
No surprise that a lot of census workers don't understand the difference between race and ethnicity.
Support Range Voting.
End Software Patents

"Four people are dead.  There isn't time to talk to the police."  --Sherlock (BBC)

wmenorr67

• friend
« Reply #2 on: June 26, 2010, 05:02:21 PM »
No surprise that a lot of census workers don't understand the difference between race and ethnicity.

Nor does 99% of the rest of Americans.
There are five things, above all else, that make life worth living: a good relationship with God, a good woman, good health, good friends, and a good cigar.

Only two defining forces have ever offered to die for you, Jesus Christ and the American Soldier.  One died for your soul, the other for your freedom.

Bacon is the candy bar of meats!

Only the dead have seen the end of war!

longeyes

• friend
« Reply #3 on: June 26, 2010, 06:19:04 PM »
Because dividing the American people is highly useful to some people in power.
"Domari nolo."

Thug: What you lookin' at old man?
Walt Kowalski: Ever notice how you come across somebody once in a while you shouldn't have messed with? That's me.

Molon Labe.

Cromlech

• friend
  • English bloke
« Reply #4 on: June 27, 2010, 05:30:49 AM »
But Spain is a European country and, as far as I know, the Spanish are ethnically not really different from the French and the Italians.
I suppose one of the main differences is there being a hint of North African and Arabian in a portion of the gene pool, on account of Spain and Portugal being part of the Caliphate for a time.
When in deadly danger, when beset by doubt, run in little circles, wave your arms and shout!

seeker_two

• friend
  • In short, most intelligence is false.
« Reply #5 on: June 27, 2010, 09:15:04 AM »
I suppose one of the main differences is there being a hint of North African and Arabian in a portion of the gene pool, on account of Spain and Portugal being part of the Caliphate for a time.

Same could be said of much of Eastern Europe....lot of Middle-Eastern blood in that area from the Turkish incursions....
Impressed yet befogged, they grasped at his vivid leading phrases, seeing only their surface meaning, and missing the deeper current of his thought.

Perd Hapley

• Superstar of the Internet
  • friend
  • My prepositions are on/in
« Reply #6 on: June 27, 2010, 09:27:22 AM »
So what, exactly, is "Hispanic" and why is it a separate category from "White"? (And, by the way, what ever happened to "Caucasian"?) My wife is a Latina, and she certainly thinks of herself as "white" and "Caucasian." She is from a South American country, and she is very proud of the fact that her family traces its heritage back to the Spanish. She doesn't particularly like being lumped in with a bunch of indigenous Americans

"Caucasian" is a nonsensical designation, as most "Caucasians" have no connection whatever to the eponymous region.  "White" or "European" may not be perfect, but at least enjoy some connection to fact.  "Caucasian" is senseless, and should be abandoned.

As I understand it, Latin-Americans have a long history of emphasizing their European heritage, and playing down any indigenous connection.  I don't know what factual basis your wife may have for her putative Spanish origins, but this may be a family tradition passed down along with the negative attitude towards the "bunch of indigenous Americans."   =)
"Doggies are angel babies!" -- my wife

Hawkmoon

• friend
« Reply #7 on: June 27, 2010, 10:50:48 AM »
As I understand it, Latin-Americans have a long history of emphasizing their European heritage, and playing down any indigenous connection.  I don't know what factual basis your wife may have for her putative Spanish origins, but this may be a family tradition passed down along with the negative attitude towards the "bunch of indigenous Americans."   =)

I'm sure you are correct. And, given her family's history in a very class-conscious country, I'm inclined to think she is correct. Which brings us right back to: Why is she "Hispanic" rather than "White"?
- - - - - - - - - - - - -
100% Politically Incorrect by Design

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
« Reply #8 on: June 27, 2010, 10:59:52 AM »
I'm sure you are correct. And, given her family's history in a very class-conscious country, I'm inclined to think she is correct. Which brings us right back to: Why is she "Hispanic" rather than "White"?

I've always found that interesting about Mexico. My niece's boyfriend is a Mexican citizen, but comes from the upper class / Spanish decent. He's always making fun of Mexicans and "Mexi-mericans". Mexico has very clear class and cultural distinctions, yet Mexico does nothing but complain about all the racists in the US.
"I'm a foolish old man that has been drawn into a wild goose chase by a harpy in trousers and a nincompoop."

Monkeyleg

• friend
  • Tattaglia is a pimp.
    • http://www.gunshopfinder.com
« Reply #9 on: June 27, 2010, 11:09:19 AM »
...yet Mexico does nothing but complain about all the racists in the US.

That particular "racism" has nothing to do with race. As long as you support "reform," you're free to call Mexicans any name you wish.

Perd Hapley

• Superstar of the Internet
  • friend
  • My prepositions are on/in
« Reply #10 on: June 27, 2010, 11:13:24 AM »

Probably similar to the way Italians, Jews, etc., were once regarded as being non-white, or at least not-as-white as WASP types. 

I thought the new trend was to identify the "plain old white people" as "white, non-Hispanic." 
"Doggies are angel babies!" -- my wife