Author Topic: Robert Bryd Dead  (Read 3467 times)

lupinus

• Southern Mod Trimutive Emeritus
  • friends
Robert Bryd Dead
« on: June 28, 2010, 05:36:38 AM »
Watching FoxNews and they just splashed a breaking news alert stating Robert Byrd has died after being hospitalized.

No links yet but FoxNews, MSNBC, and CNN are all reporting it with bulletins on their websites and TV.

ETA- http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/37959947/ns/politics-capitol_hill/
« Last Edit: June 28, 2010, 05:41:57 AM by lupinus »
That is all. *expletive deleted*ck you all, eat *expletive deleted*it, and die in a fire. I have considered writing here a long parting section dedicated to each poster, but I have decided, at length, against it. *expletive deleted*ck you all and Hail Satan.

KD5NRH

• friends
  • I'm too sexy for you people.
Re: Robert Bryd Dead
« Reply #1 on: June 28, 2010, 05:45:01 AM »
Robert Bryd Dead

Dead is one thing, but misspelled is just adding insult to injury.   :P

Monkeyleg

• friend
  • Tattaglia is a pimp.
    • http://www.gunshopfinder.com
« Reply #2 on: June 28, 2010, 10:08:29 AM »
Great. Now there's going to be 200 more structures in West Virginia named after him.

Sergeant Bob

• friend
« Reply #3 on: June 28, 2010, 10:43:14 AM »
I shall never fight in the armed forces with a Negro by my side... Rather I should die a thousand times, and see Old Glory trampled in the dirt never to rise again, than to see this beloved land of ours become degraded by race mongrels, a throwback to the blackest specimen from the wilds.    ”

— Robert C. Byrd, in a letter to Sen. Theodore Bilbo (D-MS), 1944

When running for the United States House of Representatives in 1952, he announced "After about a year, I became disinterested, quit paying my dues, and dropped my membership in the organization. During the nine years that have followed, I have never been interested in the Klan." He said he had joined the Klan because he felt it offered excitement and was anti-communist.[8] However, in 1946 or 1947 he wrote a letter to a Grand Wizard stating, "The Klan is needed today as never before and I am anxious to see its rebirth here in West Virginia and in every state in the nation.

I hope he can rest in peace.
« Last Edit: June 28, 2010, 04:00:59 PM by Sergeant Bob »
Personally, I do not understand how a bunch of people demanding a bigger govt can call themselves anarchist.
I meet lots of folks like this, claim to be anarchist but really they're just liberals with pierced genitals. - gunsmith

I already have canned butter, buying more. Canned blueberries, some pancake making dry goods and the end of the world is gonna be delicious.  -French G

HankB

• friend
« Reply #4 on: June 28, 2010, 10:51:07 AM »
Let's all watch to see how many black politicians (including BHO) say nice things about this former Klansman . . .  [popcorn]
Trump won in 2016. Democrats haven't been so offended since Republicans came along and freed their slaves.
Sometimes I wonder if the world is being run by smart people who are putting us on, or by imbeciles who really mean it. - Mark Twain
Government is a broker in pillage, and every election is a sort of advance auction in stolen goods. - H.L. Mencken
Patriotism is supporting your country all the time, and your government when it deserves it. - Mark Twain

gunsmith

• I forgot to get vaccinated!
  • friend
  • I'm sorry, Dave. I'm afraid I can't do that.
RIP Byrd
« Reply #5 on: June 28, 2010, 10:56:39 AM »
sigh, I hope some folks saw that. will repost L8er

« Last Edit: June 28, 2010, 11:28:09 AM by gunsmith »
Politicians and bureaucrats are considered productive if they swarm the populace like a plague of locust, devouring all substance in their path and leaving a swath of destruction like a firestorm. The technical term is "bipartisanship".
Rocket Man: "The need for booster shots for the immunized has always been based on the science.  Political science, not medical science."

makattak

• Dark Lord of the Cis
  • friend
« Reply #6 on: June 28, 2010, 11:00:31 AM »
Great. Now there's going to be 200 more structures in West Virginia named after him.

There are 200 places in West Virginia not already named after him?  :O
I wish the Ring had never come to me. I wish none of this had happened.

So do all who live to see such times. But that is not for them to decide. All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given to us. There are other forces at work in this world, Frodo, besides the will of evil. Bilbo was meant to find the Ring. In which case, you also were meant to have it. And that is an encouraging thought

Scout26

• I'm a leaf on the wind.
  • friend
  • I spent a week in that town one night....
« Reply #7 on: June 28, 2010, 11:03:49 AM »
Once again I shall rely on that truly great American observer, Mark Twain to express my feelings:

I've never killed a man, but I've read many an obituary with a great deal of satisfaction.
Some days even my lucky rocketship underpants won't help.

Bring me my Broadsword and a clear understanding.
Get up to the roundhouse on the cliff-top standing.
Take women and children and bed them down.
Bless with a hard heart those that stand with me.
Bless the women and children who firm our hands.
Put our backs to the north wind.
Hold fast by the river.
Sweet memories to drive us on,
for the motherland.

Scout26

• I'm a leaf on the wind.
  • friend
  • I spent a week in that town one night....
Re: RIP Byrd
« Reply #8 on: June 28, 2010, 11:08:17 AM »
Already posted in Politcs....
Some days even my lucky rocketship underpants won't help.

Bring me my Broadsword and a clear understanding.
Get up to the roundhouse on the cliff-top standing.
Take women and children and bed them down.
Bless with a hard heart those that stand with me.
Bless the women and children who firm our hands.
Put our backs to the north wind.
Hold fast by the river.
Sweet memories to drive us on,
for the motherland.

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
« Reply #9 on: June 28, 2010, 11:14:53 AM »
Topics Merged.
"I'm a foolish old man that has been drawn into a wild goose chase by a harpy in trousers and a nincompoop."

Jamisjockey

• Booze-fueled paragon of pointless cruelty and wanton sadism
  • friend
  • Your mom sends me care packages
« Reply #10 on: June 28, 2010, 11:22:37 AM »
Its sad that we have to say this everytime someone we don't like passes.
Grave dancing is below the APS standard and will not be tolerated.
There is an obvious and distinct difference between discussing why someone who's considered great really wasn't that great, and urinating on thier headstone. 
JD

The price of a lottery ticket seems to be the maximum most folks are willing to risk toward the dream of becoming a one-percenter. “Robert Hollis”

Zardozimo Oprah Bannedalas

• Webley Juggler
  • friend
  • All I got is a fistful of shekels
« Reply #11 on: June 28, 2010, 02:03:44 PM »
They'll probably rename the state.  :lol:

Sergeant Bob

• friend
« Reply #12 on: June 28, 2010, 03:31:46 PM »
Its sad that we have to say this everytime someone we don't like passes.
There is an obvious and distinct difference between discussing why someone who's considered great really wasn't that great, and urinating on thier headstone. 

Yeah, well, he urinated on the Constitution for his entire life, so if someone urinates on his grave it shouldn't be a shock to anyone.
Personally, I do not understand how a bunch of people demanding a bigger govt can call themselves anarchist.
I meet lots of folks like this, claim to be anarchist but really they're just liberals with pierced genitals. - gunsmith

I already have canned butter, buying more. Canned blueberries, some pancake making dry goods and the end of the world is gonna be delicious.  -French G

roo_ster

• Kakistocracy--It's What's For Dinner.
  • friend
  • Hoist the black flag, and begin slitting throats
« Reply #13 on: June 28, 2010, 03:54:51 PM »
Byrd did some good:

http://reason.com/blog/2010/06/28/lets-not-forget-sen-byrds-nega

As the encomia mount like rotting, fly-buzzed piles of the pork-barrel spending he so systematically shoveled back to his West Virginia home, let's not forget the late Sen. Robert Byrd's most undeniable legacy: Undermining belief in politicians as little more than self-serving glad-handers on the hunt for more and more taxpayer money for their constituents.
But it's Byrd's status as the Babe Ruth of pork-barrel spending and taxpayer-funded narcissism that is his real legacy and the one we should never forget or forgive. Here lies a man who pushed his home state to build a statue of him in defiance of a rule that such honorees be dead for 50 years.
Characters like Rep. Jack Murtha (D-Penn.), another recently deceased pork-barrel prodigy, and Byrd might have been larger than life but they worked to corrode any integrity voters and critics of government might find in legislators. We're grown-ups here in America and we're supposed to be able to take care of ourselves with a minimum of paternalistic help. For the times and places and people who really do need outside help, it fouls the nest when it is administered by folks such as Byrd because it becomes impossible to know if this is a legitimate exercise of state power and assistance or just one more bank job pulled under the cover of often-impenetrable Latinate rhetoric.

In an age of untrammeled government spending and power grabs (an era that started long before the current administration) and with folks like Byrd, Ted Kennedy, and Ted Stevens either dead or otherwise out of office, it's worth remembering we need less characters in Congress and more character in legislators who go about faithfully executing the duties of a limited-government system.

Regards,

roo_ster

“Fallacies do not cease to be fallacies because they become fashions.”
----G.K. Chesterton

mtnbkr

• friend
« Reply #14 on: June 28, 2010, 03:56:51 PM »
Yeah, well, he urinated on the Constitution for his entire life, so if someone urinates on his grave it shouldn't be a shock to anyone.

Not shocking, but still just as classless.  Let's not go there.

Chris

Jamisjockey

• friend
« Reply #15 on: June 28, 2010, 04:42:46 PM »

And if that's the sort of discourse you'd like to participate in, I'm sure there are plenty of boards where its acceptable.

As to the passing of Byrd,
I wonder how this will affect his seat? Does anyone know how WV picks a successor?
JD

The price of a lottery ticket seems to be the maximum most folks are willing to risk toward the dream of becoming a one-percenter. “Robert Hollis”

makattak

• Dark Lord of the Cis
  • friend
« Reply #16 on: June 28, 2010, 04:43:40 PM »
And if that's the sort of discourse you'd like to participate in, I'm sure there are plenty of boards where its acceptable.

I wonder how this will affect his seat? Does anyone know how WV picks a successor?

Interim appointment until an election can be held in the fall.
I wish the Ring had never come to me. I wish none of this had happened.

So do all who live to see such times. But that is not for them to decide. All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given to us. There are other forces at work in this world, Frodo, besides the will of evil. Bilbo was meant to find the Ring. In which case, you also were meant to have it. And that is an encouraging thought

Perd Hapley

• Superstar of the Internet
  • friend
  • My prepositions are on/in
« Reply #17 on: June 28, 2010, 05:45:55 PM »

I don't know.  If someone is talented enough to urinate on a headstone while dancing on the grave, is it right for such talent to go to waste? 
"Doggies are angel babies!" -- my wife

roo_ster

• Kakistocracy--It's What's For Dinner.
  • friend
  • Hoist the black flag, and begin slitting throats
« Reply #18 on: June 28, 2010, 05:55:39 PM »

Instead of determining who will be able to fill his shoes, the find the closest fit to Bobby's favorite casual wear?

Regards,

roo_ster

“Fallacies do not cease to be fallacies because they become fashions.”
----G.K. Chesterton

Lennyjoe

• friend
« Reply #19 on: June 28, 2010, 07:03:10 PM »
Let him who is without sin cast the first stone

The man is gone.  Let his past dealings rest with him. 

Prayers to his family for their loss.

seeker_two

• friend
  • In short, most intelligence is false.
« Reply #20 on: June 28, 2010, 07:21:28 PM »
Prayers and condolences for his family.....

....and the lowest I'll go is to say that I'm glad he's no longer serving in the Senate....
Impressed yet befogged, they grasped at his vivid leading phrases, seeing only their surface meaning, and missing the deeper current of his thought.

Jamisjockey

• friend
« Reply #21 on: June 28, 2010, 07:31:48 PM »
Some of you guys should be ashamed of yourselves.

JD