Author Topic: New Honda Transalp XL750, ADV bike with friendlier seat height  (Read 1825 times)

Brad Johnson

• friend
  • Witty, charming, handsome, and completely insane.
New Honda Transalp XL750, ADV bike with friendlier seat height
« on: October 10, 2023, 03:01:28 PM »
This popped up in my YouTube suggestions. The new Honda Transalp XL750. Had no idea they were bringing anything like this to the US market.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KU6Zh-vJC94

Caught my attention when he mentioned ride height. Rather, he mentioned the lack thereof. The reviewer says his fellow riders who are 5'9" to 5'10" have no problem with it. That would seem a welcome change as most ADV bikes I've been around are just stupid tall. If you are six foot or better they aren't so bad, but those of us with less inseam end up tippy toeing. A lot.

Not a bad looking bike, either, and he raves about the engine.

https://powersports.honda.com/motorcycle/adventure/transalp

Brad
« Last Edit: October 13, 2023, 03:34:35 PM by Brad Johnson »
It's all about the pancakes, people.
"And he thought cops wouldn't chase... a STOLEN DONUT TRUCK???? That would be like Willie Nelson ignoring a pickup full of weed."
-HankB

AZRedhawk44

• friends
Re: New Honda Transalp XL750, ADV bike with friendlier seat height
« Reply #1 on: October 10, 2023, 03:48:10 PM »
Seat height for the Transalp is documented at 33.7 inches, with an optional 32.6"alternative seat available.  The Africa Twin comes in at 34.25 to 33.5 inches, with a 32.5" alternative seat available.  Seems about the same.  Aprilia's Tuareg comes in at about 32.7" stock, and the KLR650 comes in at 34.3" for the standard version or 32.1" for the "S" variant for shorter riders.

I'm kind of excited with what Triumph is doing with their new 400cc single line-up.  They've got a Scrambler variant and a Speed variant built on this engine, partnering with Bajaj in India.  I think they're going to get much higher build quality out of India than others will be getting out of China.  The Scrambler 400 is slated to be priced at $5500 and the Street 400 at $5000.  40hp and 28lbft of torque, at 400 pounds wet weight.  Same HP numbers as a KLR, but 100 pounds lighter.  A rider wouldn't notice the fact that the Triumph has 28lbft of torque and the KLR has 40lbft with that much weight advantage to the Triumph.  And the Triumph has 6 gears, while the KLR has only 5.

https://www.triumphmotorcycles.com/motorcycles/classic/scrambler-400-x/scrambler-400-x-2024

Seat height for the Scram400 is 32.9 inches.  31.1" for the Street 400.

They're going to take a big dent into Royal Enfield's dominance in the beginner motorcyclist market, I think. 
"But whether the Constitution really be one thing, or another, this much is certain - that it has either authorized such a government as we have had, or has been powerless to prevent it. In either case, it is unfit to exist."
--Lysander Spooner

I reject your authoritah!

MillCreek

• Skippy The Wonder Dog
  • friend
  • APS Risk Manager
« Reply #2 on: October 10, 2023, 05:43:24 PM »
As my joints get creakier, experience has taught me that my preferred seat height tops out at 32-33 inches, with my height of 5'10" and pants inseam of 30 inches.  After my accident back in April, the only motorized two-wheeler I have is my 2011 Yamaha Zuma 125 with a step-through frame and a seat height of 31 inches.

This is kind of unfortunate since I remember well in my youth riding enduro/dual sports with seat heights of 35 inches and balancing on one leg tippy toed.

Quote from: Angel Eyes on August 09, 2018, 01:56:15 AM
You are one lousy risk manager.

JTHunter

• friends
« Reply #3 on: October 10, 2023, 06:46:43 PM »
As my joints get creakier, experience has taught me that my preferred seat height tops out at 32-33 inches, with my height of 5'10" and pants inseam of 30 inches.  After my accident back in April, the only motorized two-wheeler I have is my 2011 Yamaha Zuma 125 with a step-through frame and a seat height of 31 inches.

This is kind of unfortunate since I remember well in my youth riding enduro/dual sports with seat heights of 35 inches and balancing on one leg tippy toed.

My inseam is only 28" and I'm going down from 5'7".  Plus, leaning forwards on a long ride might be more detrimental to my back, not my "bum".
“I have little patience with people who take the Bill of Rights for granted.  The Bill of Rights, contained in the first ten amendments to the Constitution, is every American’s guarantee of freedom.” - - President Harry S. Truman, “Years of Trial and Hope”

Tuco

• Fastest non-sequitur in the West.
  • friends
  • If you miss you had better miss very well
« Reply #4 on: October 11, 2023, 10:22:04 AM »
Am I the only one who reads this as a marketing fail
"New Honda Tankslap XL750"

Makes me wonder how COG and geometry from a forced low seat height might influence stability.
All rhetorically of course.
7-11 was a part time job.

AZRedhawk44

• friends
« Reply #5 on: October 11, 2023, 11:09:31 AM »
I don't think seat height has anything to do with tank slappers.

Those are caused by irregular loading of the bike's suspension, often when the front loses load and then gains it again while the front wheel is out of alignment with the rear.  Wheelies, bumps, acceleration.
"But whether the Constitution really be one thing, or another, this much is certain - that it has either authorized such a government as we have had, or has been powerless to prevent it. In either case, it is unfit to exist."
--Lysander Spooner

AZRedhawk44

• friends
« Reply #6 on: October 11, 2023, 11:23:58 AM »
I think the "ADV bikes have too high of a seat height" argument has been mooted over the last few years.

Earlier this week I put a down payment to hold a 2024 Kawasaki Z900RS SE.  When I test rode a standard Z900RS, it seemed lower than my Tuareg.  Nope.  The Kawi has a seat height of 32.9" and is considered a retro styled sport bike.  My Tuareg actually has a lower seat height than the Kawi at 32.7".  Ground clearance is higher, handlebars are higher.  But they really did their design homework to get that seat height lower.
--Lysander Spooner

AZRedhawk44

• friends
« Reply #7 on: October 11, 2023, 03:32:52 PM »
Specs aren't out on it yet, but evidently Royal Enfield has increased the engine size on the Himalayan, and introduced water cooling, to give that bike more power.  More compression, higher RPM limit, different gearing.  Faster top speed, more torque.  Geometry looks a bit improved, too.

"Itchy Boots" got an opportunity to ride a prototype.  Official specs aren't going to be published until November 7th, but she vlogged her test ride in India and was glowing about it.  She put tens of thousands of rough miles on a first gen Himalayan.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XKibLgw6JJ4

I'm really impressed with the Android maps integration on the instrument panel.  Bluetooth sync the phone to the bike and your maps just show up on the display if you program a route.  No more mounting the phone to the handlebars.  The Africa Twin has this.  My Aprilia sort of has it, but it required a $200 add-on and it uses Aprilia proprietary software and maps rather than Google Maps.  Good part is the maps are available offline, bad part is you have to go out of your way to update them.

ETA:  I also looked up the altitude of the town she began her ride from in northern India, Leh.  She began her ride at over 11,000 ft.  And was still pleased and could tell the new Himalayan had more punch than her old model.  One of the passes she took hits 18,000 ft.  New model really lives up to its name.
« Last Edit: October 11, 2023, 03:50:15 PM by AZRedhawk44 »
--Lysander Spooner

tokugawa

• friend
« Reply #8 on: October 13, 2023, 12:56:55 AM »
I think the "ADV bikes have too high of a seat height" argument has been mooted over the last few years.

Earlier this week I put a down payment to hold a 2024 Kawasaki Z900RS SE.  When I test rode a standard Z900RS, it seemed lower than my Tuareg.  Nope.  The Kawi has a seat height of 32.9" and is considered a retro styled sport bike.  My Tuareg actually has a lower seat height than the Kawi at 32.7".  Ground clearance is higher, handlebars are higher.  But they really did their design homework to get that seat height lower.

That kawi 900RS is a nice bike- my wife was torn between it and a Triumph speed twin, finally opted for the Triumph.
The Ohlins shock is a good upgrade too.