Author Topic: Syria- The Great Big Syrian Civil War thread.  (Read 74907 times)

MechAg94

• friend
Re: Syria- The great big Syrian civil war thread.
« Reply #75 on: August 30, 2013, 12:01:57 PM »
ain't enough bidness in that town to warrant that kind of risky stance.  JMHO.  I mean, it's not pricey aircraft, or sophisticated armor, or top shelf anti-air.  Most of what these savages are killing each other with are a glut on the market.  Syria is doesn't have a pot to piss in, or a window to throw it out of, anyway.

Otoh, I have no other plausible explanation.
If we start sending planes into Syria, Russia might just decide to have Syria test some new hardware.
“It is much more important to kill bad bills than to pass good ones.”  ― Calvin Coolidge

dogmush

• friend
« Reply #76 on: August 30, 2013, 01:00:28 PM »
If we start sending planes into Syria, Russia might just decide to have Syria test some new hardware.

Why not?  We got Israil to beta test our hardware, Putin might as well get some good data.  Come to think of it, real world data on current Russian hardware is the first useful thing I've heard we could get out of Syria.

'Course the data might end up being a mite expensive.   =|

Scout26

• I'm a leaf on the wind.
  • friend
  • I spent a week in that town one night....
« Reply #77 on: August 30, 2013, 04:58:00 PM »
Kerry says Assad did it.  The Intelligence Community says they did it.

http://www.washingtontimes.com/news/2013/aug/30/john-kerry-syrian-regime-killed-1429-people-chemic/

The same Intelligence Community that blew 9/11 ?

The same Intelligence Community that screwed the pooch on WMD's in Iraq ?

The guys that totally missed the "Arab Spring" ?   (Still on-going, btw)

The same ones that "told" you that the four Americans getting killed in Benghazi was due to a video ?

We're supposed to once more risk American Lives (and borrowed Treasure) based on the word of those clowns ??

Seriously?!?!?!  They've killed over 100,000 on each side, and you expect us to start pounding the war drums over 1,349 who HATE US and died because the air was yucky ??   If they had killed them with artillery or rockets or bullets, that's okay, but yucky air is right out !!!   

If it's so all fired-up important, then answer me these questions three (ten my leige) Fine ten.*

1.  Is a vital national security interest threatened?
2.  Do we have a clear attainable objective?
3.  Have the risks and costs been fully and frankly analyzed?
4.  Have all other non-violent policy means been fully exhausted?
5.  Is there a plausible exit strategy to avoid endless entanglement?
6.  Have the consequences of our action been fully considered?
7.  Is the action supported by the American people?
8.  Do we have genuine broad international support? 
9.  What about the sequester, it's reduced the US Forces and Defense spending.  Are you going to sit down with Congress and work out a solution ?
10.  This Congress agreed to "PayGo".  Where you must "Pay as You Go", what other spending will be cut to pay for these operations?

*1-8 are the "Powell Doctrine", named after Colin Powell.  It states that all those (at least the first eight) must be answered before the US commits to Military operations.

I still say our best answer is to sit this one out.  But if Obama goes ahead without Congressional approval, all hell will break loose.
Some days even my lucky rocketship underpants won't help.

Bring me my Broadsword and a clear understanding.
Get up to the roundhouse on the cliff-top standing.
Take women and children and bed them down.
Bless with a hard heart those that stand with me.
Bless the women and children who firm our hands.
Put our backs to the north wind.
Hold fast by the river.
Sweet memories to drive us on,
for the motherland.

Fitz

• Face-melter
  • friend
  • Floyd Rose is my homeboy
    • My Book
« Reply #78 on: August 30, 2013, 05:03:46 PM »
*expletive deleted*ck it

Anything to accelerate  the inevitable collapse is a good thing. That's my new position
Fitz

---------------
I have reached a conclusion regarding every member of this forum.
I no longer respect any of you. I hope the following offends you as much as this thread has offended me:
You are all awful people. I mean this *expletive deleted*ing seriously.

-MicroBalrog

Scout26

• friend
« Reply #79 on: August 30, 2013, 05:11:03 PM »
*expletive deleted* it

Anything to accelerate  the inevitable collapse is a good thing. That's my new position

Sad to say, but I do agree and think the apple cart needs to be turned over.

Hold fast by the river.
for the motherland.

cassandra and sara's daddy

• friends
It is much more powerful to seek Truth for one's self.  Seeing and hearing that others seem to have found it can be a motivation.  With me, I was drawn because of much error and bad judgment on my part. Confronting one's own errors and bad judgment is a very life altering situation.  Confronting the errors and bad judgment of others is usually hypocrisy.

by someone older and wiser than I

Tallpine

• friends
  • Grumpy Old Grandpa
« Reply #81 on: August 30, 2013, 05:43:13 PM »
*expletive deleted* it

Avoid the financial collapse of the American Empire by committing global suicide ?   =|
Freedom is a heavy load, a great and strange burden for the spirit to undertake. It is not easy. It is not a gift given, but a choice made, and the choice may be a hard one. The road goes upward toward the light; but the laden traveller may never reach the end of it.  - Ursula Le Guin

RoadKingLarry

• friends
« Reply #82 on: August 30, 2013, 06:48:24 PM »
*expletive deleted* it

Welcome to my world.
If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude better than the animating contest of freedom, go home from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or your arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains set lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that you were our countrymen.

Samuel Adams

Fitz

• Face-melter
  • friend
  • Floyd Rose is my homeboy
    • My Book
« Reply #83 on: August 30, 2013, 08:25:50 PM »
Avoid the financial collapse of the American Empire by committing global suicide ?   =|

Nope

Accelerate the collapse so we can start over
Fitz

---------------
I have reached a conclusion regarding every member of this forum.
I no longer respect any of you. I hope the following offends you as much as this thread has offended me:
You are all awful people. I mean this *expletive deleted*ing seriously.

-MicroBalrog

Bigjake

• friend
« Reply #84 on: August 30, 2013, 08:36:42 PM »
Nope

The truth burns.

Tallpine

• friends
  • Grumpy Old Grandpa
« Reply #85 on: August 30, 2013, 10:15:31 PM »
Nope

I'm all for that, except it's hard to start over when you're dead.
Freedom is a heavy load, a great and strange burden for the spirit to undertake. It is not easy. It is not a gift given, but a choice made, and the choice may be a hard one. The road goes upward toward the light; but the laden traveller may never reach the end of it.  - Ursula Le Guin

Gewehr98

• friend
  • Yee-haa!
    • Neural Misfires (Blog)
« Reply #86 on: August 30, 2013, 10:32:11 PM »
You're safe, Tallpine.

You're so far out there in the sticks that even a mass extinction event would take a decade or so to reach you.   ;)
"Bother", said Pooh, as he chambered another round...

http://neuralmisfires.blogspot.com

"Never squat with your spurs on!"

Scout26

• friend
« Reply #87 on: August 30, 2013, 11:13:01 PM »
Well, since he can't get Britain to do something and those pesky Chinese and Russian are going to say Bu and Nyet in the Security Council, so there will be no action or even resolution from the UN.  Oh, John Kerry, how can we do anything militarily without the UN's approval.

http://www.breitbart.com/Big-Peace/2012/12/30/Top-Ten-Worst-John-Kerry-Foreign-Policy-Mistakes

And ready to eat your own words there Mr. Secretary ?

http://www.issues2000.org/2004/John_Kerry_War_+_Peace.htm
« Last Edit: August 31, 2013, 12:51:07 PM by scout26 »

Hold fast by the river.
for the motherland.

Levant

• friend
« Reply #88 on: August 31, 2013, 01:08:24 AM »
Russia has said, correctly, that unilateral intervention by the US is a violation of international law.  Since Obama is justifying his attack based on Syria's violation of international law, couldn't Russia make the same claim against the US?

I don't believe for a minute that they'll attack the US in the US but I can't help but wonder if they'd try to destroy our Mideast attack capability under a claim of moral superiority just like Obama is making.
NEOKShooter on GRM
Republicans: The other Democratic Party

Levant

• friend
« Reply #89 on: August 31, 2013, 01:10:19 AM »
Anyone taking any special precautions this weekend?  I'm keeping the gas tanks topped off.  Anything else?
NEOKShooter on GRM
Republicans: The other Democratic Party

Tallpine

• friends
  • Grumpy Old Grandpa
« Reply #90 on: August 31, 2013, 06:15:27 AM »
You're safe, Tallpine.

You're so far out there in the sticks that even a mass extinction event would take a decade or so to reach you.   ;)

I dunno ... we still have a lot of missle silos not very far from me.  I suppose those are on Russia's target list.

We bomb Syria.

Syria bombs Israel.

Isreal incinerates Syria.

What could go wrong  ???   :facepalm:

Blakenzy

• friend
« Reply #91 on: August 31, 2013, 10:38:52 AM »
Isn't gutting Syria all about hurting Iran?

And isn't hurting Iran all about keeping regional "allies" safe and under American influence?

And isn't keeping regional "allies" safe and under American influence all about keeping the petrodollar alive and well?

Protecting the dollars-for-oil monopoly... because that's all we got.

"Knowledge will forever govern ignorance, and a people who mean to be their own governors, must arm themselves with the power knowledge gives. A popular government without popular information or the means of acquiring it, is but a prologue to a farce or a tragedy or perhaps both"

Scout26

• friend
Re: Syria- The Great Big Syrian Civil War thread.
« Reply #92 on: August 31, 2013, 12:55:51 PM »
Syria will NOT do anything to Israel.  The Assad regime has it's hands full with the FSA/rebels.  They don't need another front/fight to deal with.

Even though they hate Israel with a passion, Assad's smart enough to keep Israel out of this.  If he wasn't, he'd have already attacked them by now.

Assad is content to keep this within the borders of Syria, besides, he's winning on the ground.  Pushing the rebels back, slowly but surely.  My bet is that within a year, there will be a "Peace Conference" and Syria, gets divided along tribal (or ending battle) lines, ala Germany and North Korea.

Hold fast by the river.
for the motherland.

Scout26

• friend

Hold fast by the river.
for the motherland.

lupinus

• Southern Mod Trimutive Emeritus
  • friends
That is all. *expletive deleted*ck you all, eat *expletive deleted*it, and die in a fire. I have considered writing here a long parting section dedicated to each poster, but I have decided, at length, against it. *expletive deleted*ck you all and Hail Satan.

wmenorr67

• friend
« Reply #95 on: August 31, 2013, 02:19:08 PM »
Kerry is for bombing Syria before he is going to be against it.
There are five things, above all else, that make life worth living: a good relationship with God, a good woman, good health, good friends, and a good cigar.

Only two defining forces have ever offered to die for you, Jesus Christ and the American Soldier.  One died for your soul, the other for your freedom.

Bacon is the candy bar of meats!

Only the dead have seen the end of war!

lupinus

• friends
« Reply #96 on: August 31, 2013, 02:23:20 PM »
Kerry is for bombing Syria before he is going to be against it.

And that's after being against such things in the first place, after being for them. And then being for them before being against them.

And all that jazz.
That is all. *expletive deleted*ck you all, eat *expletive deleted*it, and die in a fire. I have considered writing here a long parting section dedicated to each poster, but I have decided, at length, against it. *expletive deleted*ck you all and Hail Satan.

lupinus

• friends
« Reply #97 on: August 31, 2013, 02:47:44 PM »
Now that I think about it for a moment, maybe this is his way of tucking tail while being able to save at least some face. He's run around talking big and bad and at every turn his plan has fallen apart and his bluff has been called.

So an adult in the room probably sat him down, explained it's over, and rather than doubling down on the stupid they come up with a plan to loose minimal face.

He knows full well the votes aren't there for congressional approval. So he "lets" it go to congress for debate and a vote, he takes a hit for being bitch slapped by congress, but he gets to spin it as "reluctantly" being unable to act. Still losses some face, but a hell of a lot better than his bluff being called and pretty much every other player in this game having made him his bitch.

And if by some miracle it goes through, he can blame congress when it falls apart. And if by some miracle we are harmed by leaving it to them to sort out, he can blame congress for keeping him from acting.

Scout26

• friend
« Reply #98 on: August 31, 2013, 06:26:27 PM »
Not just blame Congress, but blame Republicans.

"I wanted to stop the violence in Syria, I was ready to stop the violence in Syria, but the stonewalling, do-nothing Republicans prevented me for acting and stopping the violence in Syria."

Here's an idea Oh, winner of Nobel Peace Prize.  Why do you go earn it.  See if you can do a TR* and pull both sides into the same room and work something out.

*The Russo-Japanese War, granted by that time the Japanese had kicked the crap out of the Russians, twice, (well maybe six or seven times, depending on how you count) along with a weak economy and various revolutions caused the Russians to head to the peace table.   (Hmmmm, why does that should sound familiar.)

Hold fast by the river.
for the motherland.

MechAg94

• friend
« Reply #99 on: August 31, 2013, 11:40:02 PM »
Why not?  We got Israil to beta test our hardware, Putin might as well get some good data.  Come to think of it, real world data on current Russian hardware is the first useful thing I've heard we could get out of Syria.

'Course the data might end up being a mite expensive.   =|
That is my thought also.  Is bombing Syria worth even one US life?  I doubt it is even worth the bombs we would use.
“It is much more important to kill bad bills than to pass good ones.”  ― Calvin Coolidge