Author Topic: Need gunsmithing help  (Read 3949 times)

vaskidmark

• National Anthem Snob
  • friends
  • WTF?
Need gunsmithing help
« on: March 20, 2010, 06:47:25 PM »
My new Taurus .327FedMagnum revolver is belling the cases on firing.  Serious enough belling so that I need to get a mallet and tap the extractor rod to get the cases out.  There is no carbon ring partially down the chamber, but fired cases reinserted do stick about 7/8th of the way in as if that was what was being encountered.

I am looking for answers to two questions:

1) What to do to either stop the casemouth belling or permit "normal" extraction?
2) How come it's doing that?

Guys at my local shop are suggesting I take a .38 mop with lots of cleaner on it, chuck it into a handheld drill, and spin slowly.  That would be good if I were shooting .32H&RMag or other, shorted .32 cartridges and getting powder rings, like you get when shooting .38spcl in a .357.  But I'm shooting the full-length .327 in a .327 cylinder so that's not the problem - or shouldn't be.

Besides sending it back to Taurus along with a bunch of fired brass to let them look at it, does anyone have any ideas?

stay safe.

skidmark
If cowardly and dishonorable men sometimes shoot unarmed men with army pistols or guns, the evil must be prevented by the penitentiary and gallows, and not by a general deprivation of a constitutional privilege.

Hey you kids!! Get off my lawn!!!

They keep making this eternal vigilance thing harder and harder.  Protecting the 2nd amendment is like playing PACMAN - there's no pause button so you can go to the bathroom.

PTK

• friends
Re: Need gunsmithing help
« Reply #1 on: March 20, 2010, 06:49:19 PM »
Unfortunately, they screwed up your cylinder. When reaming the chambers, it sounds like they oversized for clearance on the far end (toward the forcing cone) - basically, they were using out-of-spec tooling to chamber the cylinder. There is no home-brew fix for that, the metal cannot easily be added back on. You need to send it back to Taurus and have a new cylinder fitted and timed.
"Only lucky people grow old." - Frederick L.
September 1915 - August 2008

"If you really do have cancer "this time", then this is your own fault. Like the little boy who cried wolf."

Nick1911

• Administrator
« Reply #2 on: March 20, 2010, 06:51:44 PM »
Unfortunately, they screwed up your cylinder. When reaming the chambers, it sounds like they oversized for clearance on the far end (toward the forcing cone) - basically, they were using out-of-spec tooling to chamber the cylinder. There is no home-brew fix for that, the metal cannot easily be added back on. You need to send it back to Taurus and have a new cylinder fitted and timed.

Ppsshh...  That's what JB Weld is for.  :P

=D =D :angel:

PTK

• friends
« Reply #3 on: March 20, 2010, 06:54:16 PM »
That would actually work for quite a few rounds, surprisingly. Roughing up the chamber, JB Weld in there, re-chamber. It's just not pretty, nor is vaskidmark likely to have a rotary table, milling machine, precision drills, and a finishing reamer.  ;)

"If you really do have cancer "this time", then this is your own fault. Like the little boy who cried wolf."

Mabs2

• friend
  • セクシー
    • iCarly
« Reply #4 on: March 20, 2010, 06:54:42 PM »
Ppsshh...  That's what JB Weld is for.  :P

=D =D :angel:

Or maybe wrap it in detcord?
Quote from: jamisjockey
Sunday it felt a little better, but it was quite irritated from me rubbing it.
Quote from: Mike Irwin
If you watch any of the really early episodes of the Porter Waggoner show she was in (1967) it's very clear that he was well endowed.
Quote from: Ben
Just wanted to give a forum thumbs up to Dick.

Nick1911

• Administrator
« Reply #5 on: March 20, 2010, 07:02:48 PM »
That would actually work for quite a few rounds, surprisingly. Roughing up the chamber, JB Weld in there, re-chamber. It's just not pretty, nor is vaskidmark likely to have a rotary table, milling machine, precision drills, and a finishing reamer.  ;)

Eh, Mash an R size bit through it with with a cordless drill.

It doesn't have to be straight, that's what the barrel is for, right?

:laugh:  =D

PTK

• friends
« Reply #6 on: March 20, 2010, 07:04:37 PM »
You could be any one of the many "gunsmiths" I know, with that attitude....  ;)

:lol:

Viking

• ❤︎ Fuck around & find out ❤︎
  • friend
  • Carnist Bloodmouth
« Reply #7 on: March 20, 2010, 07:08:38 PM »
You could be any one of the many "gunsmiths" I know, with that attitude....  ;)

:lol:
Any of them with less than a full amount of fingers or eyes? :laugh:
“The modern world will not be punished. It is the punishment.” — Nicolás Gómez Dávila

PTK

• friends
« Reply #8 on: March 20, 2010, 07:10:12 PM »
No, and they all charge nearly $30/hr - and have a lineup of customers!  ;/

vaskidmark

• National Anthem Snob
  • friends
  • WTF?
« Reply #9 on: March 20, 2010, 07:19:16 PM »
OK, message to Taurus for a shipping label on its way.

One of these days I'm going to get something on .327 that actually works the first time out of the box.

Thanks for the info.

PS - since I'll be shipping it back to Taurus, does anybody want 20 pounds of JB Weld and about 1000 feet of det cord?

stay safe.

skidmark
If cowardly and dishonorable men sometimes shoot unarmed men with army pistols or guns, the evil must be prevented by the penitentiary and gallows, and not by a general deprivation of a constitutional privilege.

Hey you kids!! Get off my lawn!!!

They keep making this eternal vigilance thing harder and harder.  Protecting the 2nd amendment is like playing PACMAN - there's no pause button so you can go to the bathroom.

Jim147

• friends
« Reply #10 on: March 20, 2010, 07:21:24 PM »
Well, the det cord always comes in handy. >:D

jim
Sometimes we carry more weight then we owe.
And sometimes goes on and on and on.

BAH-WEEP-GRAAAGHNAH WHEEP NI-NI BONG

PTK

• friends
« Reply #11 on: March 20, 2010, 07:22:24 PM »
Delicious, delicious PETN.  =D

wmenorr67

• friend
« Reply #12 on: March 20, 2010, 07:24:14 PM »
Send the det cord to Mabs for his lady cat problem.
There are five things, above all else, that make life worth living: a good relationship with God, a good woman, good health, good friends, and a good cigar.

Only two defining forces have ever offered to die for you, Jesus Christ and the American Soldier.  One died for your soul, the other for your freedom.

Bacon is the candy bar of meats!

Only the dead have seen the end of war!

Viking

• ❤︎ Fuck around & find out ❤︎
  • friend
  • Carnist Bloodmouth
« Reply #13 on: March 20, 2010, 07:26:02 PM »
No, and they all charge nearly $30/hr - and have a lineup of customers!  ;/
Do I dare to ask what they turn out? Sten-guns that look as if they've been put together by monkeys with advanced Parkinson's Disease?
“The modern world will not be punished. It is the punishment.” — Nicolás Gómez Dávila

PTK

• friends
« Reply #14 on: March 20, 2010, 07:29:37 PM »
Do I dare to ask what they turn out? Sten-guns that look as if they've been put together by monkeys with advanced Parkinson's Disease?

What people expect is what they make. It's just out of spec, nasty if you're the next gunsmith to work on it.  =|

Mabs2

• friend
  • セクシー
    • iCarly
« Reply #15 on: March 20, 2010, 07:37:38 PM »
Send the det cord to Mabs for his lady cat problem.
True, I only have to detcord a specific part of her to solve my problem.
If she still functions afterward then that's win-win.

Wait a second...I hate my cat.
Quote from: jamisjockey
Sunday it felt a little better, but it was quite irritated from me rubbing it.
Quote from: Mike Irwin
If you watch any of the really early episodes of the Porter Waggoner show she was in (1967) it's very clear that he was well endowed.
Quote from: Ben
Just wanted to give a forum thumbs up to Dick.

Nick1911

• Administrator
« Reply #16 on: March 20, 2010, 07:40:20 PM »
mmm... detcord.

Wonder if that's classified as a "destructive device", transfer on form 4.  :laugh:

PTK

• friends
« Reply #17 on: March 20, 2010, 07:44:29 PM »
mmm... detcord.

Wonder if that's classified as a "destructive device", transfer on form 4.  :laugh:

According to the orange book, no, it just needs an HE user permit, which is fairly cheap to get, just hard to find a storage spot complying with the law.  =)

Nick1911

• Administrator
« Reply #18 on: March 20, 2010, 07:47:07 PM »
According to the orange book, no, it just needs an HE user permit, which is fairly cheap to get, just hard to find a storage spot complying with the law.  =)

Man, that'd be a heck of a thing to have on hand.  I'm surprised it's legal with any amount of permits.

PTK

• friends
« Reply #19 on: March 20, 2010, 07:49:37 PM »
It is, even ships UPS. Heck, MANY HEs are perfectly legal with the proper permit, along with detonators. Ask me how I know.  =D

Matthew Carberry

• Formerly carebear
  • friend
  • Fiat justitia, pereat mundus
« Reply #20 on: March 20, 2010, 07:53:02 PM »
Its mere presence would suggest uses.

"Not all unwise laws are unconstitutional laws, even where constitutional rights are potentially involved." - Eugene Volokh

"As for affecting your movement, your Rascal should be able to achieve the the same speeds no matter what holster rig you are wearing."

AmbulanceDriver

• Junior Rocketeer
  • friends
« Reply #21 on: March 20, 2010, 08:12:54 PM »
It is, even ships UPS. Heck, MANY HEs are perfectly legal with the proper permit, along with detonators. Ask me how I know.  =D

Anyone else really glad that PTK is in Montana, which I think has about the lowest population density of any US State (with perhaps the exception of Alaska)?

Anyone else also *REALLY REALLY JEALOUS*?

Are you a cook, or a RIFLEMAN?  Find out at Appleseed!

http://www.appleseedinfo.org

"For some many people, attempting to process a logical line of thought brings up the blue screen of death." -Blakenzy

wmenorr67

• friend
« Reply #22 on: March 20, 2010, 08:29:10 PM »
Anyone else really glad that PTK is in Montana, which I think has about the lowest population density of any US State (with perhaps the exception of Alaska)?

Anyone else also *REALLY REALLY JEALOUS*?

Yes, Montana, where the men are men and the sheep are nervous. :laugh:
There are five things, above all else, that make life worth living: a good relationship with God, a good woman, good health, good friends, and a good cigar.

Only two defining forces have ever offered to die for you, Jesus Christ and the American Soldier.  One died for your soul, the other for your freedom.

Bacon is the candy bar of meats!

Only the dead have seen the end of war!

PTK

• friends
« Reply #23 on: March 20, 2010, 08:34:40 PM »
Or, as many people here say, "Montana: Poverty with a view". It's also probably the free-est state in which I've lived. Sometimes it seems like a different country.  =)

AmbulanceDriver

• Junior Rocketeer
  • friends
« Reply #24 on: March 20, 2010, 08:36:24 PM »
Or, as many people here say, "Montana: Poverty with a view". It's also probably the free-est state in which I've lived. Sometimes it seems like a different country.  =)

Hence the "really really jealous" part.  :)
Are you a cook, or a RIFLEMAN?  Find out at Appleseed!

http://www.appleseedinfo.org

"For some many people, attempting to process a logical line of thought brings up the blue screen of death." -Blakenzy