Author Topic: Signs of the apocalypse #35,456,763.5  (Read 6188 times)

Jamie B

• friend
  • I am Abynormal
Re: Signs of the apocalypse #35,456,763.5
« Reply #25 on: March 13, 2012, 09:11:06 PM »
Should be drink OR drive.

Should be drink and whip.

We have quite a few Amish around here in OH.

No need for me to interact with them, though.

None of us locals will buy anything from them, especially food.

We leave the risk to the travelers and the rest of the English.....
Greatness lies not in being strong, but in the right use of strength - Henry Ward Beecher

The Almighty tells me He can get me out of this mess, but He’s pretty sure you’re f**ked! - Stephen

RevDisk

• friend
    • RevDisk.net
« Reply #26 on: March 15, 2012, 09:29:46 AM »
None of us locals will buy anything from them, especially food.

Eh? Here in PA, lot of folks hire Amish for contractor labor. They're really well known for porches, for some odd reason.

And I buy produce from them all the time. Not so much prepared food.
"Rev, your picture is in my King James Bible, where Paul talks about "inventors of evil."  Yes, I know you'll take that as a compliment."  - Fistful, possibly highest compliment I've ever received.

BryanP

• friendly hermit
  • friend
« Reply #27 on: March 15, 2012, 12:21:23 PM »
Should be drink OR drive.

They're ok to drive a horse drawn buggy, just not a mechanized one.
"Inaccurately attributed quotes are the bane of the internet" - Abraham Lincoln

HankB

• friend
« Reply #28 on: March 15, 2012, 03:39:49 PM »
If they're nekkid, how can you tell they're Amish?
Yeah, they might have been Jewish.

Oh, wait . . .

clip-clop, clip-clop, clip-clop, BANG! clip-clop, clip-clop, clip-clop . . .     sound of an Amish drive-by shooting.
Trump won in 2016. Democrats haven't been so offended since Republicans came along and freed their slaves.
Sometimes I wonder if the world is being run by smart people who are putting us on, or by imbeciles who really mean it. - Mark Twain
Government is a broker in pillage, and every election is a sort of advance auction in stolen goods. - H.L. Mencken
Patriotism is supporting your country all the time, and your government when it deserves it. - Mark Twain

K Frame

• friend
  • I Am Inimical
« Reply #29 on: March 18, 2012, 10:30:43 PM »
"They're ok to drive a horse drawn buggy, just not a mechanized one."

Uhm, actually no.

The Amish will get arrested, and convicted, of DUI while in a horse and buggy as you or I behind the week of a pick up.
Carbon Monoxide, sucking the life out of idiots, 'tards, and fools since man tamed fire.

CNYCacher

• friend
« Reply #30 on: March 19, 2012, 12:47:43 AM »
"They're ok to drive a horse drawn buggy, just not a mechanized one."

Uhm, actually no.

The Amish will get arrested, and convicted, of DUI while in a horse and buggy as you or I behind the week of a pick up.

Is a horse and buggy considered a "motor vehicle"?
On two occasions, I have been asked [by members of Parliament], "Pray, Mr. Babbage, if you put into the machine wrong figures, will the right answers come out?" I am not able to rightly apprehend the kind of confusion of ideas that could provoke such a question.
Charles Babbage

vaskidmark

• National Anthem Snob
  • friends
  • WTF?
« Reply #31 on: March 19, 2012, 06:18:57 AM »
If it's OK for convictions to be handed down for operating a horse or a bicycle while intoxicated, it's OK to convict for driving a buggy on the roads while intoxicated.  Apparently being sent to ASAP does not require that there have been a license plate attached.

stay safe.
If cowardly and dishonorable men sometimes shoot unarmed men with army pistols or guns, the evil must be prevented by the penitentiary and gallows, and not by a general deprivation of a constitutional privilege.

Hey you kids!! Get off my lawn!!!

They keep making this eternal vigilance thing harder and harder.  Protecting the 2nd amendment is like playing PACMAN - there's no pause button so you can go to the bathroom.

K Frame

• friend
  • I Am Inimical
« Reply #32 on: March 19, 2012, 09:48:51 AM »
There's been some angst over it in Pennsylvania given how the law is written, but given that the Amish generally don't push cases through appeals, I don't think there's been a lot of case law on it.

Bicycling is a different matter; there's a separate statute for bicycling under the influence (guy I know got popped for it some years ago) and the penalties are pretty stiff, just as they are for boating under the influence.
Carbon Monoxide, sucking the life out of idiots, 'tards, and fools since man tamed fire.

BlueStarLizzard

• Queen of the Cislords
  • friend
  • Oh please, nobody died last time...
« Reply #33 on: March 19, 2012, 09:54:48 AM »
Has someone looked to see if there are any archaic laws still on the books from way back when, that would cover buggy driving under the influance?
"Okay, um, I'm lost. Uh, I'm angry, and I'm armed, so if you two have something that you need to work out --" -Malcolm Reynolds

vaskidmark

• National Anthem Snob
  • friends
  • WTF?
« Reply #34 on: March 19, 2012, 10:54:28 AM »
Has someone looked to see if there are any archaic laws still on the books from way back when, that would cover buggy driving under the influance?

Way back then it was not a big deal as most folks just let the horse(s) figure out the best route back to the barn, and those incidents involving racing and the like were generally resolved by crashes into the ditches where no other drivers/pedestrians/real estate were involved.  If the intoxicated driver ran down a poor woman/kid/someone's favorite pet they were corrected by application of either a horsewhip or a noose as the circumstances seemed to suggest was most appropriate.

Much more personal accountability going on back then before civilization set in.  And yes, that included in the cities as well as out on the fringes of the known universe.

stay safe.
If cowardly and dishonorable men sometimes shoot unarmed men with army pistols or guns, the evil must be prevented by the penitentiary and gallows, and not by a general deprivation of a constitutional privilege.

Hey you kids!! Get off my lawn!!!

They keep making this eternal vigilance thing harder and harder.  Protecting the 2nd amendment is like playing PACMAN - there's no pause button so you can go to the bathroom.

TechMan

• Administrator
  • Yes, your moderation has been outsourced.
« Reply #35 on: March 19, 2012, 11:00:55 AM »

Ohio Revised Code States:

Chapter 4511: TRAFFIC LAWS - OPERATION OF MOTOR VEHICLES
4511.01 Traffic laws - operation of motor vehicles definitions.
As used in this chapter and in Chapter 4513. of the Revised Code:

(A) “Vehicle” means every device, including a motorized bicycle, in, upon, or by which any person or property may be transported or drawn upon a highway, except that “vehicle” does not include any motorized wheelchair, any electric personal assistive mobility device, any device that is moved by power collected from overhead electric trolley wires or that is used exclusively upon stationary rails or tracks, or any device, other than a bicycle, that is moved by human power.

So as I read it a buggy is drawn upon a highway therefore is subject to OVI.
Hawkmoon - Never underestimate another person's capacity for stupidity. Any time you think someone can't possibly be that dumb ... they'll prove you wrong.

Bacon and Eggs - A day's work for a chicken; A lifetime commitment for a pig.
Stupidity will always be its own reward.
Bad decisions make good stories.

Viking - The problem with the modern world is that there aren't really any predators eating stupid people.