Author Topic: 10 year sentence for making his own firearms  (Read 125 times)

Angel Eyes

• Lying dog-faced pony soldier
  • friend
  • You're not diggin'
10 year sentence for making his own firearms
« on: May 13, 2024, 02:11:17 PM »
https://redstate.com/jeffc/2024/04/22/brooklyn-man-convicted-over-gun-hobby-by-biased-ny-court-could-be-facing-harsh-sentence-n2173162

Dexter Taylor, convicted of the "crime" of making his own firearms, has been sentenced to 10 years in prison.  You may recall this is the case where the judge declared "The Second Amendment does not exist in my courtroom."

Not to get on my soapbox, but the sentiment is outrageous, as is the guilty verdict and the prison sentence.  Taylor did nothing wrong and poses no threat to public safety.

There is a GiveSendGo page to help with his legal bills, for those interested:  https://www.givesendgo.com/dtaylor_2a_legal
""If you elect me, your taxes are going to be raised, not cut."
                         - master strategist Joe Biden

dogmush

• friend
Re: 10 year sentence for making his own firearms
« Reply #1 on: May 13, 2024, 02:23:03 PM »
I am reminded of the plot of The Dark Knight Rises, where someone locks all the cops in the sewer, blows all the bridges in/out of New York Gotham, and lets the residents hold "courts" to punish corrupt officials, and the whole place generally eats itself Lord of the Flies style.  For some reason that escapes me now that guy wasn't, in fact, the hero of the movie.

I genuinely hope that Mr. Taylor manages to appeal this high enough to find some sanity, and is exonerated for his literally victimless "crime", but we all know if he is, it still won't make him whole for lost time and money, and the prosecutor and judge will never be held accountable for their persecution of an innocent man.  I genuinely hope the judge finds herself spit upon every time she shows her face in public until she realizes the harm she has committed to who knows how many people and does the honorable thing and hangs herself.

I gave him what I could afford earlier in his trials, but I might need to scrape together some more money for this cause.

MechAg94

• friend
« Reply #2 on: May 13, 2024, 02:36:38 PM »
The case should get overturned on appeal, but unfortunately, that may take quite some time. 
“It is much more important to kill bad bills than to pass good ones.”  ― Calvin Coolidge

griz

• friend
« Reply #3 on: May 13, 2024, 09:29:35 PM »
the judge declared "The Second Amendment does not exist in my courtroom."

If defendants can be punished for being in contempt of court, judges should get similar punishment for contempt of the constitution.
Sent from a stone age computer via an ordinary keyboard.

HankB

• friend
« Reply #4 on: May 13, 2024, 11:36:13 PM »
. . . the judge declared "The Second Amendment does not exist in my courtroom.". . .
And the response is "I'm sorry, but I don't quite understand - Your Honor, are you admitting on the record that you are presiding over unconstitutional proceedings?"
Trump won in 2016. Democrats haven't been so offended since Republicans came along and freed their slaves.
Sometimes I wonder if the world is being run by smart people who are putting us on, or by imbeciles who really mean it. - Mark Twain
Government is a broker in pillage, and every election is a sort of advance auction in stolen goods. - H.L. Mencken
Patriotism is supporting your country all the time, and your government when it deserves it. - Mark Twain

Hawkmoon

• friend
« Reply #5 on: Today at 09:31:23 AM »
And the response is "I'm sorry, but I don't quite understand - Your Honor, are you admitting on the record that you are presiding over unconstitutional proceedings?"

Probably best saved for the appeal. But this is New York, so a state appellate court may not be much better. Even the federal court of appeals may not help - after all, the federal courts blessed NY's SAFE Act.
- - - - - - - - - - - - -
100% Politically Incorrect by Design

Pb

• friend
« Reply #6 on: Today at 10:18:34 AM »
Gun permits and registration are excuses used to punish people for exercising their rights.

It is shameful that the courts have allowed these laws to stand.

Perd Hapley

• Superstar of the Internet
  • friend
  • My prepositions are on/in
« Reply #7 on: Today at 12:42:54 PM »
Nobody's coming to take your guns away, Trumpsters.
"Doggies are angel babies!" -- my wife

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
« Reply #8 on: Today at 12:59:09 PM »
A cogent comment on this:

Ten years and never hurt anybody. . Leftists fire bomb a police car get 366 days.

There is simply no doubt that lefties get much lighter prison sentences for much worse crimes. Not that this is even a crime, which makes it that much worse.

With the judge's blatant bias, this will get tossed on appeal, but it still ruined an innocent man's life. I only hope he is able to sue some part of the NY government for millions.
"I'm a foolish old man that has been drawn into a wild goose chase by a harpy in trousers and a nincompoop."