Author Topic: Donors Sue University for Removal of Their Name  (Read 493 times)

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
Donors Sue University for Removal of Their Name
« on: February 15, 2023, 06:41:54 PM »
This is an interesting one. A family that has apparently over several generations made large donations to a Virginia University is suing the university for their money back plus interest. Why? Because students at the university protested until the university relented and removed said donors' name. Because an ancestor owned slaves.

I don't know enough to know if the lawsuit has a chance, but it would be poetic justice if the university lost for the full amount - $3.6 billion. I suppose you could argue regarding "vanity donations", but they did in good faith donate based on their name being associated with the donations. If the university wants to do cancel culture, then they need to accept the consequences.

Premium article at Epoch Times, but the gist is below:

The University of Richmond has removed the name of donor T.C. Williams from its law school, citing student complaints that he allegedly owned slaves more than 175 years ago.

The Williams family now wants the Virginia university to give back donations they’ve made throughout the years, with interest, in the amount of $3.6 billion.

Robert Smith, who graduated from the law school that formerly bore his great-great-grandfather’s name, told The Epoch Times that if the family name is no longer good enough for the university, neither are family’s financial contributions.

Smith said in a Jan. 30 letter to university president Kevin Hallock that he arrived at the $3.6 billion figure by adding together the contributions from Williams, his sons, and other relatives, then calculating 150-plus years of compounded returns.

https://www.theepochtimes.com/virginia-donors-demand-3-6-billion-from-university-for-removing-ancestors-name_5054846.html
"I'm a foolish old man that has been drawn into a wild goose chase by a harpy in trousers and a nincompoop."

Perd Hapley

• Superstar of the Internet
  • friend
  • My prepositions are on/in
Re: Donors Sue University for Removal of Their Name
« Reply #1 on: February 15, 2023, 07:06:59 PM »
Good. No idea what chance the suit has, but good.

While they're at it, I hope they try to find out if any of the faculty have slave-owning ancestors, or other connections to slavery, or other historic injustices. Maybe somebody's grandpa voted for Robert Byrd, or supported fascists or eugenicists back in the day, or what-have-you. 
"Doggies are angel babies!" -- my wife

WLJ

• friends
  • On Patrol In The Epsilon Eridani System
« Reply #2 on: February 15, 2023, 07:08:22 PM »
Wonder how many of those students including the black ones have ancestors who owned slaves?
"Sometimes I think the surest sign that intelligent life exists elsewhere in the universe is that none of it has tried to contact us".
- Calvin and Hobbes

BobR

• Just a pup compared to a few old dogs here!
  • friend
« Reply #3 on: February 15, 2023, 07:34:23 PM »
I read about this yesterday. He is throwing their "wokeness" right back in their faces.

“If suddenly his name is not good enough for the University, then isn’t the proper ethical and indeed virtuous action to return the benefactor’s money with interest? At a 6% compounded interest over 132 years, T.C. Williams gift to the law school alone is now valued at over $51 million, and this does not include many other substantial gifts from my family to the University,” Rob Smith, Williams’ great-great-grandson, said in a letter to President Kevin Hallock.

“Moreover, is it not a form of fraud to induce money from a benefactor, and then discredit the benefactor after he is long dead? Surely, the Williams family would not have given a penny to the University knowing that the University would later dishonor the family. The ethical and virtuous decision is clear. Return the money.”

Since all history has to be erased, perhaps you can eliminate the history department and use the money to buy therapy dogs, cupcakes and cotton candy for all those poor souls triggered by facts. Then again, you could use the money to bolster your Campus Ministry of Truth and just eliminate facts. After all, facts are bad, they make snowflakes cry.”

https://www.thecollegefix.com/benefactors-family-demands-refund-after-u-richmond-removes-name-from-law-school/

Nothing will come of it as far as the family getting any money but they may get a study hall. ;)

bob

Hawkmoon

• friend
« Reply #4 on: February 15, 2023, 11:22:13 PM »
Wonder how many of those students including the black ones have ancestors who owned slaves?

That's the key question. Cancel those students, if they are among the protesters.
- - - - - - - - - - - - -
100% Politically Incorrect by Design

Pb

• friend
« Reply #5 on: February 16, 2023, 08:12:34 AM »

Probably close to, if not, 100%.  Abolitionist civilizations are a historical aberration.

HankB

• friend
« Reply #6 on: February 16, 2023, 09:23:20 AM »
IANAL so I don't know the legalities involved, but I do hope the donors prevail and get at least some of their money back.
Trump won in 2016. Democrats haven't been so offended since Republicans came along and freed their slaves.
Sometimes I wonder if the world is being run by smart people who are putting us on, or by imbeciles who really mean it. - Mark Twain
Government is a broker in pillage, and every election is a sort of advance auction in stolen goods. - H.L. Mencken
Patriotism is supporting your country all the time, and your government when it deserves it. - Mark Twain

griz

• friend
« Reply #7 on: February 16, 2023, 09:36:51 AM »
That reminds me of the University of Virginia, many students want to banish any mention of its founder, Thomas Jefferson.  Seems to me the students bear a lot of the blame.  If it bothered you that much, why you enroll in such an unenlightened school in the first place?
Sent from a stone age computer via an ordinary keyboard.

cordex

• Administrator
« Reply #8 on: February 16, 2023, 09:40:19 AM »
I'm sure it depends entirely on the terms of the contract that established the naming rights, but there do appear to be cases where donors were able to win the return of their donations when the naming agreement was violated by the school.

WLJ

• friends
  • On Patrol In The Epsilon Eridani System
« Reply #9 on: February 16, 2023, 09:40:38 AM »
That reminds me of the University of Virginia, many students want to banish any mention of its founder, Thomas Jefferson.  Seems to me the students bear a lot of the blame.  If it bothered you that much, why you enroll in such an unenlightened school in the first place?

Like going to steak house and then getting upset the steak you ordered and placed in front of you is meat.
"Sometimes I think the surest sign that intelligent life exists elsewhere in the universe is that none of it has tried to contact us".
- Calvin and Hobbes

Hawkmoon

• friend
« Reply #10 on: February 16, 2023, 02:50:29 PM »
Like going to steak house and then getting upset the steak you ordered and placed in front of you is meat.

"But I wanted a vegan steak!"

"Yes, Sir. I can assure you that the steer this steak came from ate only grass and corn."
- - - - - - - - - - - - -
100% Politically Incorrect by Design

Perd Hapley

• Superstar of the Internet
  • friend
  • My prepositions are on/in
« Reply #11 on: February 16, 2023, 03:15:17 PM »
The Left understands and exploits the fact that, even if a lawsuit is frivolous, it can still advance a narrative, and move the Overton. Then just keep bringing the same kinds of suits until the populace is suitably conditioned to accept your "reasoning."

This also applies to things like criminal prosecutions and impeachments.

It could also work for Americans...
"Doggies are angel babies!" -- my wife

RoadKingLarry

• friends
« Reply #12 on: February 16, 2023, 03:30:28 PM »
Sometimes it works.

Garth Brooks sued and won when a hospital reneged on a donation promise.

https://www.cbsnews.com/news/garth-brooks-awarded-1-million-in-hospital-lawsuit/
If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude better than the animating contest of freedom, go home from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or your arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains set lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that you were our countrymen.

Samuel Adams

Cliffh

• friend
« Reply #13 on: February 16, 2023, 07:39:31 PM »
I hope they get every penny they're asking for.

This cancel culture crap has to stop.